Going to say this here…. Every loss is not some validation to kill the program. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Going to say this here…. Every loss is not some validation to kill the program.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I agree. Instead of using our basketball success as a bargaining chip to leverage a way to get us in the door somehow somewhere, it is actually a weight pulling us down because any step backwards or even sideways that may impact basketball is unacceptable.

Football is going to have to do this on its own with the perception that we are a basketball school and gave up on football. The GA St loss was just one really bad loss. It was not a killer. But it was a pretty big step backwards from where we were progressing - for me more how the team lost vs the fact that the team lost. Let's see how the team and fans respond this week and the rest of the season. Go Huskies!!
You think the basketball is holding the football back?…if uconn football had to make it on it’s own merits… we would have no shot of getting in any of those money leagues

Reaction Score
We all know most people on this board support UConn. We’ll always have visitors with different views and those are pretty obvious.

Of those that support UConn, it’s probably 100% that support men’s and women’s BB. But there is also a subset of those that despise UConn FB. It threatens BB and Big East. It’s probably less than 50% but more than 30%
Do you really think that Dan Hurley feels that the football program threatens the basketball program? Does Geno think that too? More than 30%??? That’s a lot of fans.Lol

Are there aliens on Uranus?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with that, but that's where we really get penalized for being late to the game. It's also where the flaws in New England's approach to growing the sport, historically, become most apparent. Not only has our region been limited to one FBS program for most of the sport's history, but it's been limited to the most exclusive, self-serving school in that region.

CFB is never going to be here what it is in the south or parts of the midwest, but it still yields more than enough talent to supply at least one competitive power football program. That Boston College has had the inside track on both UMass and UConn is why all of us might end up being left behind.
I think Jim Mora fielded a team last year that beat Boston College. Just saying

Reaction Score
Do you really think that Dan Hurley feels that the football program threatens the basketball program? Does Geno think that too? More than 30%??? That’s a lot of fans.Lol

Are there aliens on Uranus?
Pretty sure we moved to AAC for football.
There are constant discussions about UConn leaving Big East for P4 conference.

Because we’re UConn, I don’t think (nor did I suggest in my post) that Hurley/Geno were ‘threatened’ by Football. But since you raised the point, they are well aware of what sport drives the bus, and that UConn would leave the BB centric Big East for a P4 conference in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
You think the basketball is holding the football back?…if uconn football had to make it on it’s own merits… we would have no shot of getting in any of those money leagues
It shouldn’t by any stretch but in a strange way it does. The minute we stepped back into the BE with a bunch of 1AA catholic schools, it told the world UConn is about basketball first and damn the rest. If 5 Nattys in 25 years doesn’t do the trick it’s never doing the trick. It makes no sense. It isn’t right, but that’s the way it is. it’s a special thing we have but it’s a lot sentimental value that doesn’t bring home the bacon in revenue.

Reaction Score
Football was held back by bad adminstrative decisions, not basketball. Basketball was floundering and has been resuscitated by a great hire. Basketball did not recover in one year, but in a few years. (Remember, "better get us now!") Same holds for football. It is not an impossible dream. For the umpteenth time, basketball is meaningless in conference realignment. UConn basketball will thrive in any conference with the right coach, facilities, and recruits. It can happen for football with proper assistance. Is it possible that the last ship has sailed? Yes it is, but for those of you who will still be alive in a decade or so, there is some hope.

Reaction Score
Football was held back by bad adminstrative decisions, not basketball. Basketball was floundering and has been resuscitated by a great hire. Basketball did not recover in one year, but in a few years. (Remember, "better get us now!") Same holds for football. It is not an impossible dream. For the umpteenth time, basketball is meaningless in conference realignment. UConn basketball will thrive in any conference with the right coach, facilities, and recruits. It can happen for football with proper assistance. Is it possible that the last ship has sailed? Yes it is, but for those of you who will still be alive in a decade or so, there is some hope.
I’m sorry to tell you this but administrative decisions didn’t score 35 points against us last Saturday.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry to tell you this but administrative decisions didn’t score 35 points against us last Saturday.
I am talking about macromanagement over the last decade plus rather than one bad game. This had been discussed ad nauseum here. Hopefully football will be respectable sooner rather than later. It is possible.

Reaction Score
Yeah, was going to respond with same. UConn suddenly in Big 10 would be a spike in interest.
But being the basement dweller in Big 10 won’t keep UConn fans interested.
I still maintain had UConn been successful in AAC, fans would still have come.
I agree with this and in that reality uconn might still be in the AAC

Reaction Score
I am talking about macromanagement over the last decade plus rather than one bad game. This had been discussed ad nauseum here. Hopefully football will be respectable sooner rather than later. It is possible.
Bingo. When I was a grad student I had Hathaway pegged as useless because he and they wouldn't do the small things. I spent a lot of time at the hockey rink and I know they were an after thought but I always said "one thousand dollars in paint would go a long way". It is that era 04-09 when I was there that it was clear despite football being on the move and basketball winning that they were coasting.

If your guy isn't trying to figure out how to do things better he ain't your guy

Reaction Score
When I was a grad student I had Hathaway pegged as useless because he wouldn't do the small things. And despite football being on the move and basketball winning they were coasting.
Hathaway was in many ways over his head. He wasn’t a fighter and always looked for the expedient route, the one that wouldn't require him to feel his stomach churn as he tried to sell the BOD on spending more. After Edsall left, we had just played in the Fiesta Bowl. That was the moment for him to announce to the BOD that “We can’t let our program backslide. We’ve seen the Big East get poached. We’ve seen us left behind already. We need to become a more committed and successful football program. And at this moment we need to spend the money for a big time coach with a national reputation.“ But when the idea of hiring Paul Pasqualoni became one of the options—JH liked that he came cheap and was already known and liked by the Chairman of the BOD. PP made it very easy for JH to avoid the confrontation he didn’t have the stomach for.
At bottom, JH was an administrator. What he lacked was what we needed—an AD with a leadership gene. Those institutions who had AD’s with juice, somehow maneuvered and lobbied and figured it out. In the end, Pasqualoni offered Hathaway the one thing he always sought—an easy way out,

Reaction Score
OK genius, WHAT SPECIFIC MACROMANAGEMENT DECISIONS WERE MADE OVER THE LAST DECADE that were detrimental to the football program? Remember this macromanagement not decisions made by a coach or AD, but rather the school itself, school president, BOT, and the governor, the Robert Kraft fiasco, etc. please don’t mention whipping boy Jeff Hathaway. I will say that lack of any decisions by Warde could be an issue effecting the trajectory of the football program. I also think you have to go back more than one decade, I would go back two decades to get to the bottom of why the program has not blossomed, such as the decision to go on the cheap and build a stadium on an abandoned airfield 25 miles from campus.

Reaction Score
OK genius, WHAT SPECIFIC MACROMANAGEMENT DECISIONS WERE MADE OVER THE LAST DECADE that were detrimental to the football program? Remember this macromanagement not decisions made by a coach or AD, but rather the school itself, school president, BOT, and the governor, the Robert Kraft fiasco, etc. please don’t mention whipping boy Jeff Hathaway. I will say that lack of any decisions by Warde could be an issue effecting the trajectory of the football program. I also think you have to go back more than one decade, I would go back two decades to get to the bottom of why the program has not blossomed, such as the decision to go on the cheap and build a stadium on an abandoned airfield 25 miles from campus.
I believe that you answered your own question. I think you can add a clueless president with lots of hubris as well at the time of Warde and a state political machine that only glows when basketball wins championships, but abandoned everything else...and that is still to this day.

Reaction Score
We lost two games - one home game against a superior opponent, and one road game that one could argue we should have won - but we were dogs in the game. We have to win the games we are supposed to win and steal enough of the ones we aren't to make a season of it. We were projected to be dogs in 9 games. GaSt was a stealable one - and we didn't steal it.

Reaction Score
Interesting ad for Custer’s last stand on this thread. Sure feels that way.

Reaction Score
I get people’s frustration. I fall into this trap too. Winning is what this program needs and we are 0-2.

But, the players can’t have the pressure of the entire programs existence on their backs. They just need to go out, make plays, follow the game plan, and have some fun.

This fan base, and I include myself in this group, is so hungry for wins, we sometimes put the cart before the horse. Going 6-7 last year didn’t make us NC contenders.

I trust Mora’s experience and ability to keep our trajectory on upward climb, even if last week was a step back. But it’s getting so old when we tie in every step back with ‘shut the program down’.

Let’s see how this team and coaching staff respond.
Let's be honest. The athletic department has never signaled it is hungry for successful football. 25 years ago the running joke was UConn searched for the best coach in the country and then hired his son. To this day, the AD acts like it doesn't want to be bothered, and simply recycles failed coaches.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let's be honest. The athletic department has never signaled it is hungry for successful football. 25 years ago the running joke was UConn searched for the best coach in the country and then hired his son. To this day, the AD acts like it doesn't want to be bothered, and simply recycles failed coaches.
How HCRE1 was a decent middle of the road quality coach.

Pasqualone he was delivered attempt to placate Connecticut high school coaches so we could keep the kids home.

Hard to call Diaco a has been. He was more of a never was.... and an insane never was at that.

HCRE2 was always a short term move to get us back to respectability. It didn't work out.

Mora's was, in my opinion, an excellent hire with both NFL and P5 head coaching experience. How it will pan out we will see.

But I think it's unfair to say that the school does not care about football. And but as the P*conferences continue to make more money, it becomes increasingly hard to catch up.

We are in a hole and I'm not sure how to get out of it.

Reaction Score
Mora is not a failed coach, he’s got a pretty good resume. Dave Benedict hired a HOF coaches son too, and the son just won a NC. UConn does need to hire a good DC so Mora can keep his eyes on the road. Maybe Todd Orlando if he’s still coaching. As for the OC, cut Charlton loose at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
He can say that all he wants but he hired the OC and made him the assistant head coach. He brought in Fagnano and Robeson. Outside of Buckman, his receiving corps has done nothing. His tight ends have done nothing. His big back from Louisville can’t get on the field and has been passed on the depth chart by a dl. His defense got run off the field in Georgia and did not show much in the first half today.

Something happened or is happening behind the scenes. You don’t return all the players UConn has after a 6 win season and turn around and make it a 2 win season without something going on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom