Going to say this here…. Every loss is not some validation to kill the program. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Going to say this here…. Every loss is not some validation to kill the program.

Reaction Score
If they were comfortable, they wouldn't have been sniffing WKU and MTSU two years ago. The issue isn't with football-onlies, it is with an odd number of schools for Olympic sports and football. WKU still wants to join the MAC but they can't due to no school joining that would give the league an even number of BOTH football and Olympic sports members, and WKU can't go football-only with UMass as they have no place to park their Olympic sports.

Also, history: the MAC has literally had multiple football-only members before. If Temple hadn't left for the American, both them and UMass would be football-only in the MAC right now.

WKU and MTSU are more attractive than us fit football.

And now that they added them they definitely don’t want us.

Reaction Score
If they were comfortable, they wouldn't have been sniffing WKU and MTSU two years ago. The issue isn't with football-onlies, it is with an odd number of schools for Olympic sports and football. WKU still wants to join the MAC but they can't due to no school joining that would give the league an even number of BOTH football and Olympic sports members, and WKU can't go football-only with UMass as they have no place to park their Olympic sports.

Also, history: the MAC has literally had multiple football-only members before. If Temple hadn't left for the American, both them and UMass would be football-only in the MAC right now.

Also, history: They had football onlies before and don’t want to live that dream again.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
WKU and MTSU are more attractive than us fit football.

And now that they added them they definitely don’t want us.
LOL. WKU and MTSU are not more attractive than us in football. The MAC wanted them to get into the Nashville market. Full stop.

Reaction Score
LOL. WKU and MTSU are not more attractive than us in football. The MAC wanted them to get into the Nashville market. Full stop.

I guess they wanted that more than they wanted us.

Our football has no appeal. You guys are detached from reality.

Reaction Score
The MAC would be appealing..the league is somewhat close… playing in a league with teams we can compete with… bowl games…a path to the playoffs… but the money would be awful….I don’t think any of us would truly know if the MAC would be interested in us or if we would be interested in them unless we did join

Reaction Score
We need to stop blaming conference affilation as one of main cause of our issues. There is absolutely no excuse losing to schools like FIU and Georgia State in the manners we did. This is on our coaching and recruiting. It is an internal UConn issue, and we just need to fix it.

Reaction Score
Benedict has hinted at it. Also, CUSA and the MAC would both love to have one of the best public universities in the northeast in their league even if in a weakened state for football-only. The MAC has already had Temple and UMass for football-only in the past. UMass was given the boot because Temple left leaving the league with an odd number of teams. It wasn't due to their poor performance.

Also, I don't want to give a single basketball game to the MAC. It does nothing for the program.
Football only in the MAC would be a gigantic mistake on many fronts.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I’m not advocating for joining the MAC for football only as we’ve no real history with them. From a regional perspective though, having some scheduling agreement with them (along with games against ACC, MW, and other conferences), isn’t terrible. They’re not flashy or big draws, but neither are we, and we need games that we reasonably have a shot of winning. Right now, several of those teams would beat UConn.

Reaction Score
I’m not advocating for joining the MAC for football only as we’ve no real history with them. From a regional perspective though, having some scheduling agreement with them (along with games against ACC, MW, and other conferences), isn’t terrible. They’re not flashy or big draws, but neither are we, and we need games that we reasonably have a shot of winning. Right now, several of those teams would beat UConn.
I hate the move from the "we are better than this and we won't settle for this" perspective but on the other hand are we better than that? Also it's nice to have a ladder to climb and as an independent there really isn't one

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of these comments. The MAC doesn’t really make sense and also they don’t want us. But beyond that - conferences do give teams something to play for. There’s a reason they exist in almost every major team sport. They provide scheduling consistency, rivalries, bowl tie ins, and a metric to measure oursleves against YOY. I don’t know the answer but being independent just has so many negatives.

Reaction Score
I hate the move from the "we are better than this and we won't settle for this" perspective but on the other hand are we better than that? Also it's nice to have a ladder to climb and as an independent there really isn't one
BYU was an independent all those years.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Football only in the MAC would be a gigantic mistake on many fronts.
We won’t have anyone to play soon. Time to park the program in a FB only conference.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

I recall UMass being given the ultimatum to join in all sports in the MAC or ELSE. They chose Independence.
Are you saying if Temple had stayed the MAC would not have demanded it from both?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
With every game, I'm becoming more on-board with American FB-only, if they'll take us

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I recall UMass being given the ultimatum to join in all sports in the MAC or ELSE. They chose Independence.
Are you saying if Temple had stayed the MAC would not have demanded it from both?
Correct. The issue was an odd number of football teams.

Reaction Score

You are correct. Shizzle was imagining things.

Reaction Score
Right now, I think the scheduling is fine. Getting a couple ACC schools at home, some winnable games and one or two ‘cupcakes’ isn’t horrible. Right now, UConn is underperforming, and we didn’t see the uptick from last year.

Playing Umass and BC also helps with regional rivalries. I hope those stay on the schedule more often than not

Reaction Score
Right now, I think the scheduling is fine. Getting a couple ACC schools at home, some winnable games and one or two ‘cupcakes’ isn’t horrible. Right now, UConn is underperforming, and we didn’t see the uptick from last year.

Playing Umass and BC also helps with regional rivalries. I hope those stay on the schedule more often than not
We have to schedule Rutgers, that’s a key rival, and maybe even Villanova and Yale or another Ivy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom