Give the coach this loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Give the coach this loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
and JC was always wrong about that as well. theyre not alone, tons of coaches **** it up

Exactly.

You foul. Period. It is, literally, not a debatable point. There is nothing to discuss.

Reaction Score
There were + 6 seconds left, defensive pressure on the ball should cut that in half. With the foul they still have to make the first shot, miss the first the worst you do is overtime. They make the first miss the second, offensive rebound and put back overtime. Offensive rebound and three point shot for loss highly unlikely. We were playing from behind all night, on the road I'd foul there every time.

That being said no one has ever paid me to coach basketball so what do I know.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
bull poop. if uconn fans can't handle another normal ass big east season with this one not counting for anything, then just hang it up and stop playing sports. we just went thru hell last season so no matter what happens here 99% of this fanbase will be good with things. argueing a foul or not at the end is a legit arguement either way but its not anything close to ppl jumping off the ko wagon. stop trying to stick up for warde. **** him! and if hes your buddy or something then shame on u!

Here's a thought - duck* off.

Reaction Score
Maybe they're taught to foul in that situation, but Giffey instinctively backed off because he had 4 fouls.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Marquette was 0-14 from three - Cadougan was 0-2 from three and 4-24 from three on the season. You live with that shot all day long and you do not foul. There was a kid in his face and he was 3 feet beyond the arc. He makes that shot one out of 20 times at best under the circumstances.

The only thing I think you do is get the time out to set up a defense instead of allowing a helter skelter play.

Reaction Score
ok??have we ever seen it actually backfire for uconn or anyone? how many times have we seen letting a team shoot the 3 backfire? it cost washington a win against us in 2006 tourney

I forget who it was, and which year (I believe 2011), but a coach who believes you foul in this scenario, did so in an NCAA tourny game. The other team made the 1st, missed the 2nd, kicked the rebound out for a wide open 3 that rimmed out at the buzzer. I always hated that play, but after watching that particular game, I remember thinking,"that is why you don't foul."
The bottom line is the risk of OT, far outweighs the risk of losing.
Washington had a shot at winning in OT, just as we had a shot at winning tonight. As fishy pointed out, happens.

Reaction Score
There were + 6 seconds left, defensive pressure on the ball should cut that in half. With the foul they still have to make the first shot, miss the first the worst you do is overtime. They make the first miss the second, offensive rebound and put back overtime. Offensive rebound and three point shot for loss highly unlikely. We were playing from behind all night, on the road I'd foul there every time.

That being said no one has ever paid me to coach basketball so what do I know.

What about giving up the offensive rebound and hacking the guy in the act? Makes it. You lose on a FT. I've seen that happen. I've seen a lot of putbacks miss, and twice I've seen winning threes miss.

The odds favor fouling, but you have to trust your team to handle its defensive glass. When MU missed a FT with 15 seconds left in overtime, we gave up the rebound. It's a risky propostion with this team as constructed. I would have played it straight up. With Okafor-Boone, I foul (which we didn't against Duke -- could have been a big boo-boo but Redick almost put up an air ball).

Reaction Score
I don't like the foul (in that situation) philosophy. We've seen it nearly backfire in the NCAA tourny. At UConn, we are used to tough man-to-man D. I always trust our D in these cases, and the worst case is OT. You foul, they make the 1st, miss the 2nd, and get the rebound, you could lose the game. And with the way this team boards, that is even more a possiblity.

I agree. You should not foul. Things happen. In this case Marquette player hit a prayer. You can't coach against luck.

Having said that, notice that when the 3 is launched UConn has like 3 guys within the 3 pt arc. You ask yourself, why? What good is it? The real failure, if any, is not having all your players line up around the 3pt arc. Tell the players to ignore an opponent going past you to position for a rebound. Stay right on the line and present the best possible defense for the shot. Again, if they are lucky, it won't matter. But my only issue is, you coach your players to stay just outside the arc.

Reaction Score
I would have liked a timeout at the end of regulation too. Put a big guy on the inbounder, make them catch the ball moving away from the hoop. It seems like haphazard possessions at the end of games seem to favor the offense. But the kid made a deep prayer 3 falling away from the basket. Then they banked in a 3 in OT. And we had Calhoun with the ball when we didn't want him to at crunch time. He had space, then he hesitated and got blocked. The game came down to a couple of plays, they made them and we didn't.
Coming back from being down 10 on the road though, and twice at that, is cause for optimism.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
There's also the possibility that you try to foul and the guy gets into his shooting motion and now he has three free throws. Not unheard of.
To say this is an easy call is ridiculous. Great coaches disagree on it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Marquette was 0-14 from three - Cadougan was 0-2 from three and 4-24 from three on the season. You live with that shot all day long and you do not foul. There was a kid in his face and he was 3 feet beyond the arc. He makes that shot one out of 20 times at best under the circumstances.

The only thing I think you do is get the time out to set up a defense instead of allowing a helter skelter play.

Here is why it is not a debate.

OPTION 1: Foul. He has to hit the first FT. He has to miss the second on purpose. Marquette has to get the offensive rebound. Has to get off a shot. And make it.

That's five acts that all...ALL...have to occur.

OPTION 2: He makes a three to tie.

That's one act.

Five. Vs one.

Reaction Score
Foul end of regulation and it's a win
Great, in hindsight. Reality was they would have called a shooting foul if he missed, I'm shocked they didn't anyway for the 4-point play.

Reaction Score
it boggles my mind that every time this happens some people say i wouldnt have fouled either, that was just lucky. YOU TAKE LUCK OUT OF IT. can someone at least link a single time fouling didnt work?

Reaction Score
Everything being said it was a good game gutty comeback from 10 down twice. I believe we had three positions in OT where we were up 1 and came up empty each time. Tough year with all that is going on but the team is certainly playing for pride that is obvious.

Reaction Score
There is no debate here - you foul. Every. Single. Time.

Marquette being 0 of 14 from three literally has nothing to do with anything. The fourteen misses prior has no baring on the fifteenth. Don't point to a lone example of a coach fouling and it not working out - that's terrible logic. I can do it too - ask John Calipari how not fouling in that situation worked out for him.

I was screaming at the TV for UConn to foul as soon as Boatright's jumper went through the basket. If UConn fouls with three seconds left, the chances of Marquette hitting the first free throw, missing the second on purpose (without a lane violation), grabbing the rebound, and then getting up a shot that is probably off-balance (UConn would have at least four guys in the paint) are slim at best. Yeah, the chances of Cadougan tossing up a shot from three feet behind the three point line that goes in are slim too, but the bottom line is UConn wins that game if they simply foul.

Reaction Score
Here is why it is not a debate.

OPTION 1: Foul. He has to hit the first FT. He has to miss the second on purpose. Marquette has to get the offensive rebound. Has to get off a shot. And make it.

That's five acts that all...ALL...have to occur.

OPTION 2: He makes a three to tie.

That's one act.

Five. Vs one.

If getting off a shot and making it is two different acts the first time, it should be the second.

If you don't make the first, you can still kick the rebound out to tie it with a three. Or you make the first, the rebound could go out of bounds your way, and then you could set up a baseline o/b play to tie or win.

Or you could hit both, steal the inbounds pass, and make a 3. That's happened to us too.

Reaction Score
'There's no debate here' ... Really? Explain why every coach doesn't subscribe to this, they are all wrong and you are right ? Even though you've never coached d1?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Some call it that. But our previous coach of 26 years never fouled in that situation.

Calhoun was wrong for 26 years.

I don't know what to tell you. You foul with 2 seconds left and the game is all but over. Letting them take a last second shot to tie is just poor basketball.

Reaction Score
'There's no debate here' ... Really? Explain why every coach doesn't subscribe to this, they are all wrong and you are right ? Even though you've never coached d1?

that doesnt mean much. there no debate that NFL coaches should never punt on 4th and 2 from their opponents 38 unless theres like a minute left, but half the coaches would

Reaction Score
I guess it's flawless in the great book of 'fan strategy'

Reaction Score
if youre a uconn fan and we're down 3, even if we had our best rebounding team ever, can you honestly say youd rather have the opponent foul us as opposed to letting shabazz take a 3 to tie? i doubt a single fan would prefer that yet it seems many think the point is debatable

Reaction Score
Since this is all hypothetical what if said shooter makes first free throw , ball gets tipped out for a good look at 3? they win. If you play good reasonable defense you go home with a w too

Reactions: SJ
Reaction Score
if youre a uconn fan and we're down 3, even if we had our best rebounding team ever, can you honestly say youd rather have the opponent foul us as opposed to letting shabazz take a 3 to tie? i doubt a single fan would prefer that yet it seems many think the point is debatable

I don't think it's debatable either, they did the right thing. The guy made a throw from 25 and he's the guy we would prefer to shoot it outside of Gardner, it went in...what can you do??:confused:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Since this is all hypothetical what if said shooter makes first free throw , ball gets tipped out for a good look at 3? they win. If you play good reasonable defense you go home with a w too

At worst the late game 3 is going in at about a 25% clip.

How many times in the history of college basketball has your hypothetical happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom