Gilbert is a 4th year PG | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gilbert is a 4th year PG

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This game epitomized two pre-season comments that were offered more than few times.

1) If Vital is our top scorer, then it means we're not very good.

2) If Gilbert doesn't play like the McDonald's AA we recruited, then it's going to be a long season.

Therefore, if tonight's game wasn't a fluke or doesn't get corrected, what's the point in getting as upset as many here are? This was predicted.

Then again, so far, only 1 of the 5 newcomers has played to capacity. Only 2 more of the 5 will be available, and they both start somewhat in the hole. It's early in the season

Fall recruiting has been successful in meeting identified needs with two well-regarded and well-targeted players who chose UConn over worthy P5 competition. The pending conference change has been increasingly mentioned as helpful in attracting prospective player interest.

Remember: Year two of a rebuild. Let it build.

Support the team. Be grateful for what is and accept what isn't, especially if you think it can't be changed. Otherwise you're doomed to being right & unhappy.

Reaction Score
And he didn’t lead the team tonight. Bad shots, bad turnovers, didn’t make the team better. Terrible at the end of the game.
Just a vastly overrated point guard even considering the injuries. Can he stop driving in and leaving points trying to get weak shots over much bigger guys. He is a small guard who plays small. He isn’t Ryan Boatright going strong to the basket in there for layups as he is his game is too weak for that.

Reaction Score
Hurley’s offense sets were not there. Hero ball and no one moving without the ball.
Yep that killed any hope of a comeback. Embarrassing as he was expecting his shot to get blocked. Can’t he just pass the ball and hit the open outside shots.

Reaction Score
Gilbert can penetrate at will, but he cannot finish. He’s too short and doesn’t have any hops to compensate. That’s been his MO since day 1, and it will not change. Such an over-rated player. Hoping Danny can recruit better PGs.
He was a constant finalist in the McDonald’s slam dunk contests. I think he was a runner up to some elite highflying guy in the league. He’s got hops. But man. Every player had a brutal shot today. Every single guy. Sans aa

Reaction Score
I hope Hurley mixes in a lot of Gaffney when he's healthy, because Gilbert is gone after this year and he's not leading us to the NCAAs so what's the point of playing him significant minutes?

where’s he going?

Reaction Score
Glad I rejected the Extortion "seat Donation" and ceased season ticket purchases for the 1st time in 37 years. I'll be buying them on Stubhub for $5. Hurley is an unmitigated disaster, and yes, I'm a Keep KO guy. I bleed Blue, like KO. Improvement???? NOT

Reaction Score
He's played 36 games in 4 years. So he may be four years in, but he has the experience of a soph. It's pretty sad that we have had 6-ish years of Jalen and Gilbert; two of the highest rated guards this program has ever brought in, and their careers have been highly forgettable and coincide with the worst five year run in my UConn lifetime.

I will say, though, that Hurley's offense is certainly not helping. We're putting up points. But our sets involve one person pounding, one person trying to get open, and three people watching it all go down. I'd give my left nut to see us ever (and this includes KO and many of JCs years) run some nice half-court offense that wasn't completely dependent on having superior talent. More than one person is allowed to move at one time, you know.

Reaction Score
He was a constant finalist in the McDonald’s slam dunk contests. I think he was a runner up to some elite highflying guy in the league. He’s got hops. But man. Every player had a brutal shot today. Every single guy. Sans aa
And that doesn’t translate one bit to being an effective point guard in a 5-on-5 environment. The next layup he makes in traffic will be his first this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agre
Glad I rejected the Extortion "seat Donation" and ceased season ticket purchases for the 1st time in 37 years. I'll be buying them on Stubhub for $5. Hurley is an unmitigated disaster, and yes, I'm a Keep KO guy. I bleed Blue, like KO. Improvement???? NOT
Can you give one reason why We should have even considered “Keep KO”

Reaction Score
Eh. Vitale is who he's always been. A hot and cold shooter who doesn't make great decisions or have a great handle but stays on the court because he's an outstanding foul shooter and rebounder who almost always plays hard. He is who he is, and that's who he was last night on a poor shooting day.

I think Jalen Adams’ talent made Vital and Gilbert look better. Now they are being exposed

Reaction Score
He tried to do way too much, no excuses he was bad, very bad. He was always a shoot first PG. I was high on him and a big defender of his. I thought after playing most f the season last year he would have it together this year. Those runners he was throwing up were horrific. Especially with no one underneath. No chance of a put back.

I do think we will be much better against Florida.

Reaction Score

You must have missed the last two seasons under Ollie. Must have been fun as a season ticket holder.

Reaction Score
There's dumb and then there's this guy.

Sweet "NOT" joke though.

In his defense, if we would have kept KO, this loss would have been more tolerable. Mainly because our roster full of grad transfers would be on par talent wise w/ Saint Joseph’s

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hurley's got to be rooting for Gaffney and Bouknight to get on the court. Alterique 2 assists 5 turnovers 14 missed shots. Vital 2 assists 16 missed shots. If you can't make a shot at least pass once in a while.
Vital got to the line a lot, and converted a lot. Not to mention the 16 boards. He needs to learn to channel his energy better when his shot isn't falling, but last night, especially in the 1st half, there was no-one to give it up to who was making shots either.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Vital got to the line a lot, and converted a lot. Not to mention the 16 boards. He needs to learn to channel his energy better when his shot isn't falling, but last night, especially in the 1st half, there was no-one to give it up to who was making shots either.

I like Vital's drawing fouls and rebounding. But I disagree that there was no one to give it up to who was making shots. Akok was 4-5, Polley was 4-5, and Carlton was 3-6. There were people to give the ball up to who can shoot at a decent percentage. Admittedly the offense could be run a lot better to create more open passing lanes and shots.

Reaction Score
In his defense, if we would have kept KO, this loss would have been more tolerable. Mainly because our roster full of grad transfers would be on par talent wise w/ Saint Joseph’s
If we would have kept Ollie the loss would have eventually been vacated so we could forget it happened.

Reaction Score
Meh, Gilberts career has been torpedoed by injury. He's really only a sophomore in experience. Injuries done him in
Not buying this excuse any more. He does not play like a point guard

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not buying this excuse any more. He does not play like a point guard

it's not an 'excuse'. It's a fact. Would he be the same player this year if he had played the last 4 years uninjured? Clearly not. He got derailed before he even started.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom