Gilbert is a 4th year PG | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert is a 4th year PG

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bull crap. He hasn’t gotten a shot off in the lane since forever but he keeps trying.

Yeah because he hasn't developed. He might never develop. He won't here.

All those developmental years were spent on the rehab table.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
sorry but I don't buy it anymore

well then you must not have any money. it's pretty clear he hasn't been able to develop at all. He's the same kid that came in from high school. He'll leave UCONN the same player. Too much time in the tub.

It's not like anyone's waiting around for him to turn the corner at this point.

Reaction Score
After ranting I realize where else does the offense come from if Carlton isn’t active? Vital is a given and Akok has so much to bring but.... he like cv need to do a bit more. You’re looking at a very very good backcourt with almost any top 40 front 3.

CV can’t create his own shot consistently quickly enough to be relied upon as a playmaker. He’s the ultimate! 3 and D guy required to do more than probably capable.

Carlton was a non factor tonight(Assumed going in), and our inability to have a mobile 5 for the past 3/4 years is the reason we were in a matchup nightmare tonight.

AG I’m going to refrain from saying anything. I’ll need to reasses at a later time with saner thoughts. But he’ll be prettttttttty low on the @Report Card rating.

In short, the offense needs to be set up by AG to CV and Polley. I truly believe Polley is the biggest threat this team has offensively and they just stopped giving him the ball once we got within 5!?!? He made big shot after big shot when it counted. He needs to be much more assertive. But he’s a legit threat at 6’9.

also....layups

Reaction Score
I hope he isn’t just good at ripping new ones and getting 4stsr guys. Some tactics may help. He said he can’t see screaming to start the ad a good thing ... but JC and a whole bunch of others could care less time to coach and stop being a “friend or mentor “. Bring on Larry brown as asst. FYI. This was as bad as the second home game and straight loss in Ollie’s last year where we lost Larrier. Change the game plan. Make it easier. Trim the fat. Play fast but don’t rush. A line up of Carlton Akok Ferguson Jackson/bk and coles is intriguing next year. But f next year. We’ve been saying that for 5.
That lineup will never happen next year.

Reaction Score
well then you must not have any money. it's pretty clear he hasn't been able to develop at all. He's the same kid that came in from high school. He'll leave UCONN the same player. Too much time in the tub.

It's not like anyone's waiting around for him to turn the corner at this point.

Actually, I think Hurley is one anybody who thinks he will be okay.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to make it very clear that there is no spot for Gilbert on next year’s roster. He’s graduating and can use his remaining time elsewhere. It’s time to let Hurley’s recruits play.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to make it very clear that there is no spot for Gilbert on next year’s roster. He’s graduating and can use his remaining time elsewhere. It’s time to let Hurley’s recruits play.

Who? The frosh who just missed a month of practice with an ankle injury or the one who got himself suspended which has already cost us a game we should have won?

Reaction Score
Gilbert can penetrate at will, but he cannot finish. He’s too short and doesn’t have any hops to compensate. That’s been his MO since day 1, and it will not change. Such an over-rated player. Hoping Danny can recruit better PGs.

Reaction Score
I really hope AG doesnt read the BY. To see the fan base turn on him so quickly in the 2nd game of his first hopefully healthy year sucks. We didnt expect to be a lock tourney team this year so why not root for the dude. I want to see him put it together not for y'all but for him. He's had a tough go and now you armchair coach k's wanna rip him?

Reaction Score
Alterique is shooting 5-25 through two games. Shot terribly in the exhibition and shot 38% last year. At some point you are what your numbers say you are.

Hurley was talking him and Josh up as 1st team all AAC.
And his shooting is not the worst part of his game. Al has just not developed and would not be a starting pg on many college teams. Unfortunately JG doesn’t look ready for this type of competition yet.

xclamations

Back2Back2
Reaction Score
Dang Vital, 16 rebounds? Share some with the rest! (I missed the game so I'm kinda going in blind here w commentary)...
at least polley and akok had decent games. Carlton I wanna see get 16 and 12 but I'd be happy w 10 & 10 for the season at this point. The rest is crapola

Reaction Score
Benefit of the doubt? What's that have to do with it? He's not good right now. He might never be. But it's largely because of injuries that set him back for years. I'm certainly not waiting for him to come through

Injuries torpedoing his career, really only a sophomore .. don't get me wrong I agree with you on the above, but your initial post made it sound like excuse making for his performance on the court.

Reaction Score
Dang Vital, 16 rebounds? Share some with the rest! (I missed the game so I'm kinda going in blind here w commentary)...
at least polley and akok had decent games. Carlton I wanna see get 16 and 12 but I'd be happy w 10 & 10 for the season at this point. The rest is crapola
Definitely don't go by the stat lines for this one. It was all pretty bad except Akok and Polley hit a short stretch of threes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Injuries torpedoing his career, really only a sophomore .. don't get me wrong I agree with you on the above, but your initial post made it sound like excuse making for his performance on the court.

I wasn't using it as an excuse. Just an explanation. Injuries have torched many guy's careers. He's one. Maybe he improves in the future idk, but it won't be here.

I still think it's a shame either way tho

Reaction Score
Sorry, but he has never impressed me. Not sure what HCHurley has in mind but lets hope that Bouk is an answer, or Adams

Loved when I few years ago, when we won the NC, that Kenny and Charles finally said, " Both Uconn guards can rise up and get any shot that they want!"

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sorry, but he has never impressed me. Not sure what HCHurley has in mind but lets hope that Bouk is an answer, or JA

I'll tell you what Hurley has in mind: get new players and let them develop.

Reaction Score
The first thing that came to me was coaching. I’m not sure if they just arent listening or what. With Calhoun guys we’re afraid to just do what they wanted. I felt it through the TV. Here it seems like they keep doing the same dumb things over and over and there are no consequences. Maybe Hurley is just waiting for them to graduate privately.

Reaction Score
I hope Hurley mixes in a lot of Gaffney when he's healthy, because Gilbert is gone after this year and he's not leading us to the NCAAs so what's the point of playing him significant minutes?
Gonna have to play Gaffney a ton and Bouknight should be our go to guy on offense. Sounds a bit crazy to have a freshman as your go to guy but he's our most talented offensive player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley’s offense sets were not there. Hero ball and no one moving without the ball.

the lack of motion off the ball is the biggest issue. There is nobody to pass to, because everyone is standing still. That leads to too much hero ball one on three attempts. And yes, CV and AG take those ’s because who will?

I don’t think Gilbert stinks. I think the team offense stinks. It looks like it did 3 years ago. Honestly, I have a new appreciation for Jalen. He had nobody to pass to either but was damned good at going it alone.

Reaction Score
Gonna have to play Gaffney a ton and Bouknight should be our go to guy on offense. Sounds a bit crazy to have a freshman as your go to guy but he's our most talented offensive player.
Yep, we have no choice. Our upperclassmen are just not good. Our only hope is to look toward the future. Sooner rather than later

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom