Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I thought the first quote was about Edwards and the second about DeBerry. If I was correct, these are not conflicting opinions.
D'Oh! You're absolutely right - apologies mate (and everyone else who saw that)!!! :oops:

Missed it by THAT much (1 letter in the alphabet - AE - AD) (checks perscription for reading glasses).

I'd edit the post to remove that first sentence, but it's locked. I'll stand by the next 3 paragraphs.

And the post about AE as well, actually. ;)

Reaction Score
In reviewing stories on the Athletic, Bleacher Report and the corresponding reader comments, it seems as if most people have written off UConn and believe the team is overrated being in the top ten. They certainly are not getting credit for overcoming injuries to key players like teams such as Indiana, Michigan, etc. Its going to be a shock in the tournament when UConn comes out and plays really well with their pressing defense and inside/outside offense now that they have such a strong and experienced starting five and bench.

Reaction Score
Balance wins it all. Not just defense. You need balance.

If we would have scored more points than SC then we would have won - think about that. :)

As Geno said in his postgame, he said sometimes when you score more you put pressure on the other team to have to score to keep up.

Bottomline line is that you have to score enough to win.
By definition if we score more than the other team we win. That's not saying much. I am not defining anything, I am giving you my opinion from what I have seen, so far, out of UConn. I am not convinced they have the defense to match their potent offense. Teams will slow us down on offense, but we can put up enough points to win. The only assumption is our defense slows down the opponent. I have not seen "consistent" defensive performances from UConn. So far. Have you?

Reaction Score
By definition if we score more than the other team we win. That's not saying much. I am not defining anything, I am giving you my opinion from what I have seen, so far, out of UConn. I am not convinced they have the defense to match their potent offense. Teams will slow us down on offense, but we can put up enough points to win. The only assumption is our defense slows down the opponent. I have not seen "consistent" defensive performances from UConn. So far. Have you?
According to Massey, UConn ranks 13th in offense and seventh in defense. The numbers do not support your hypothesis.

Reaction Score
According to Massey, UConn ranks 13th in offense and seventh in defense. The numbers do not support your hypothesis.
What hypothesis? I gave my opinion, which does not require Massey to validate. What is your opinion? Is our defense at full strength (from injuries), better than our offense, as Massey seems to say?

Reaction Score
What hypothesis? I gave my opinion, which does not require Massey to validate. What is your opinion? Is our defense at full strength (from injuries), better than our offense, as Massey seems to say?
My opinion, supported by the Massey algorithm, is that our defense has been better than our offense for most of the season, with a few exceptions. Geno has also consistently said that in his halftime and postgame remarks. By the way, an hypothesis is basically an opinion used as a starting point to gather facts, at least in the academic world.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what supports Massey's hypothesis.
Which UConn line up did he use to extrapolate that ranking?
All of them are averaged out I suppose.
Perhaps there still isn't any way to predict the future and all of the other variables, including the effect of which ball that they will be playing with.
Where does Paige or the desire, determination & pride of any other UConn player enter into Massey's equation?
A lot of factors are virtually impossible to quantify.
They're just like referees which are another human factor.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Defense, imo, was somewhat constrained when they were playing with 6. You go into a game thinking about fouls and fatigue and without your rim protector, that's what you get. Still, seems teams have been scoring below their average all year and it's turned up in intensity with the return of Liv and Caroline. I think if we have any issue in the later rounds, it'll be scoring. Hopefully the development of Azzi and Caroline has gotten us over the hump. 89/90 the last two games looks good no matter the opponent.

Reaction Score
My concern for UConn is that the offense clicks when the team is causing live ball turnovers but, when the team has to run a half-court offense, the offense bogs down and has not run efficiently. UConn is not going to get a lot of live ball turnovers against the stronger teams they play, or at least they have not as yet. They have got to get much better at running their half-court offense or they will continue to struggle during the post season. Also, I wonder why Ono does not post up close to the basket like Piath does so all she has to do is turn and lay the ball in the basket. I am glad we got the opportunity to see Piath and Amari play the last two games. I like the way the team is focusing on getting them the ball. I hope they get to play against Marquette. It would mean UConn has the game well in hand.
Ono does post up . but then gets double teamed. Also because Ono keeps ball low sometimes she is stripped of ball. Piath does not get double teamed so it is easier for her to make a shot.

Reaction Score
I attribute the good defense to the frequent rotation and rest for each player.
They all played really hard after entering the game, and in the presser the players said that they appreciate the bench rest.

Azzi missed some shots but some of them were rebounded for 2nd shots which weren't all wasteful.
And Azzi also made up for some of her misses with RB's and steals.

UConn had strong inside scoring except it wasn't by the bigs but in transition and by lay ups.
Play of the game for me was when the G'Town player rammed into AE's chest and the announcer said that she got hit in the face.
But it was mostly her nose and her own fault, and when AE was hit she didn't move a muscle, she held her ground like a tree and there wasn't any foul.
The player of the game was CW. Geno said in the presser that he favored her for extra minutes because she's a senior, and I imagine that he wants to help her get drafted in the highest position possible.
She leads by example and works her butt off in the gym and on the court.
CW might surprise in the WNBA. Just like Tiffany Hayes. Tiffany was good at Uconn but she has been even better in the WNBA!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She was unfortunately before my fandom. Did she have a three-pointer in her arsenal?
She did

College[edit]​

Rebecca Lobo Statistics[25] at University of Connecticut
YearGFGFGAPCT3FG3FGAPCTFTFTAPCTREBAVGATOBSMINPTSAVG
1991–92291673380.494010.000821170.7012287.92678463067541614.3
1992–93291894210.44929850.341771190.64732611.23775972692648416.7
1993–94332434450.54611340.3241381870.73837111.2681071313496663519.2
1994–95352384760.518510.3531041540.6753439.81299112240100559817.1
Totals12683716800.498581710.3394015770.695126810.12603513961303572213316.9

Reaction Score
I haven't seen both because of injuries. You have seen enough offensively on a consistent basis?

IMO it's a vicious circle. Saying one without the other - I don't agree with. Basketball is flowing game. Even if the game is a grind - it flows from offense to defense/ from defense to offense.

Reaction Score
Yes, there was some sloppy play. In my opinion, it looked like they were trying to run some new stuff in the half court offense to try to take advantage of what should have been a more open lane but it didn't quite work out as expected at times.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ono does post up . but then gets double teamed. Also because Ono keeps ball low sometimes she is stripped of ball. Piath does not get double teamed so it is easier for her to make a shot.
I am not talking about the times she gets double teamed. That does not always happen. She does need to keep the ball high.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • UConn came out pressuring the ball to force the tempo of the game. Nika was her typical annoying self with 5 steals in the first half. The Hoyas hung around for a while, but UConn picked up the pace with about 5 minutes left in the half going on a 19-2 run and it was all over except for the second half.
  • I love that Azzi appears to have adopted Caroline’s philosophy to just keep on shooting until they go in. After missing her first 3 shots from the arc, you just knew the 4th was going down. It wasn’t a typical Azzi shooting game, but she continues to demonstrate that she is a complete basketball player who’s understanding of the game reminds me of another freshman who played for UConn last season.
  • Georgetown turns the ball over a lot. UConn’s defense today was relentless. That’s a bad combination for the Hoyas which resulted in the Huskies forcing 30 turnovers, including 21 steals.
  • Christyn has really put together a string of solid games for UConn. Her “ankle-breaking” crossover dribble and layup in the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty.
  • A little sloppy at times today by the Huskies, but it’s hard to argue with a 41-point victory.
  • Amari once again showing that 3-pt stroke that gets UConn fans just a little bit excited about the future.
It is surprising ( and pleasing ) that Amari has such a good shot from distance. That suggests she will always be a BIG who moves from the paint to the arc and back. This ability can make a defense crazy, particularly when we have other great shooters on the outside. We have seen little of her abilities, however, from around the basket ( despite the charity lay-up provided to her by Muhl ). . Amari has the chance to be a major threat.....but we need to see some of those other dimensions. Defense is a good place to begin. And rebounding. Sorry to complain. I am looking for greatness here.

The inside presence has been left more to Piath, who is a "banger" ( still far too out of control) and seems strong and athletic. We would probably all faint if we saw her put the ball on the floor, or put up a shot from more than 6 inches. Something we can all look forward to.

I still find it difficult to believe when Azzi misses consecutive shots. But she is a complete basketball player, and that is great. nd how about Nika Muhl and her outside shot? This is getting be fun.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn just needs to keep improving each game with all ten players becoming more in sync so that when and if Paige is inserted into the game there are fewer hiccups with the team play. If they grow with each other and play like they have (most of the time) over the last 5 games, this team will be in the final four and hopefully win #12 on April 3rd.

Reaction Score
In reviewing stories on the Athletic, Bleacher Report and the corresponding reader comments, it seems as if most people have written off UConn and believe the team is overrated being in the top ten. They certainly are not getting credit for overcoming injuries to key players like teams such as Indiana, Michigan, etc. Its going to be a shock in the tournament when UConn comes out and plays really well with their pressing defense and inside/outside offense now that they have such a strong and experienced starting five and bench.
... and only getting stronger! Paige Bueckers, come on down!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Azzi’s pull up jumper is just beautiful.
yes -- it would be nice to see it much more often ... and, until she can make it work a lot more consistently, a lot less of christyn's (her midrange stinks)

OTOH, it would be great to see more opportunities for caroline's lovely floater

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course I do and she was a fabulous high post passer and shooter, but I don’t remember her as a three-point shooter.
Steph averaged just under 1 x 3 per game during her jr & sr years at UConn. As a jr, Steph shot almost 44% from the arc. She fell off to around 27% as a sr.

Reaction Score
that's fine by me..............I'm sure Geno would love to be in the position of underdog for a change...........still ask any coach if they'd like to play UConn with Bueckers back in the lineup and I have a feeling there won't be too many takers

Reaction Score
It is surprising ( and pleasing ) that Amari has such a good shot from distance. That suggests she will always be a BIG who moves from the paint to the arc and back. This ability can make a defense crazy, particularly when we have other great shooters on the outside. We have seen little of her abilities, however, from around the basket ( despite the charity lay-up provided to her by Muhl ). . Amari has the chance to be a major threat.....but we need to see some of those other dimensions. Defense is a good place to begin. And rebounding. Sorry to complain. I am looking for greatness here.

The inside presence has been left more to Piath, who is a "banger" ( still far too out of control) and seems strong and athletic. We would probably all faint if we saw her put the ball on the floor, or put up a shot from more than 6 inches. Something we can all look forward to.

I still find it difficult to believe when Azzi misses consecutive shots. But she is a complete basketball player, and that is great. nd how about Nika Muhl and her outside shot? This is getting be fun.
at least Piath makes most of her layups.............that sometimes seems more difficult than a three-point shot for some UConn players.........;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom