Georgetown Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • UConn came out pressuring the ball to force the tempo of the game. Nika was her typical annoying self with 5 steals in the first half. The Hoyas hung around for a while, but UConn picked up the pace with about 5 minutes left in the half going on a 19-2 run and it was all over except for the second half.
  • I love that Azzi appears to have adopted Caroline’s philosophy to just keep on shooting until they go in. After missing her first 3 shots from the arc, you just knew the 4th was going down. It wasn’t a typical Azzi shooting game, but she continues to demonstrate that she is a complete basketball player who’s understanding of the game reminds me of another freshman who played for UConn last season.
  • Georgetown turns the ball over a lot. UConn’s defense today was relentless. That’s a bad combination for the Hoyas which resulted in the Huskies forcing 30 turnovers, including 21 steals.
  • Christyn has really put together a string of solid games for UConn. Her “ankle-breaking” crossover dribble and layup in the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty.
  • A little sloppy at times today by the Huskies, but it’s hard to argue with a 41-point victory.
  • Amari once again showing that 3-pt stroke that gets UConn fans just a little bit excited about the future.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
On paper, people may look at the game and say "oh it was a blowout - great game for UCONN". But really, to me, it was a mixed bag. Very sloppy Q1 with 8 TO's. The TO's returned in Q4 with more sloppy play. At times, it looked like they were trying to feed one player or another instead of running offense and looking for the "best available shot". At times, the defense was stellar, and I thought overall the defense was better than the offense, but still, some troubles especially in stopping Clougherty from 3.

I thought there was a tough stretch offensively when Fudd and Muhl were NOT on the floor. Most of the Q4 TO's came during that span. We had 21 total - not good. In fairness, credit to Georgetown for never quitting and playing hard, but some of our TO's were just poor unforced plays.

On the flip side, some tremendous individual efforts. Muhl, even tho she had some sloppy TO's, also had a great steal in Q1 followed immediately by one from Westbrook. then Christyn's crossover drive to the hoop - that was awesome.
  • Overall solid game offensively with again, everyone scoring and lots of players in the 7-9 points category (in fact 6 of them)
  • Georgetown does turn the ball over a lot and UCONN took advantage - 21 steals
  • Really great all around game for Nika - career high in steals, very solid scoring, really pesky defense, and ran the point well
  • Another nice game from Williams
  • Finished Q4 strong with Deberry and Gabriel coming in and doing things.
  • Azzi may be the best 3-point shooter on the team, but she sure is streaky. Another 1-7 shooting game from 3. Still, I love her on the floor and she does so much more than shoot the 3.
Overall, if you just look at the score, you might say "oh, great game". But there were a lot of uneven stretches and I think the coaches will have a lot to review on the game tape. As we get towards the end of the season, I think the coaches must be looking for consistency for longer stretches and we are not there yet.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We may be ranked 10th but we are now playing much better. A balanced attack Look Out
It’s scary when you think this team isn’t playing close to its peak. Once Paige gets back and everything starts the gel we will really be a juggernaut.

Reaction Score
Hey. Definitely will take the Dub. Got some work ahead. Things that we could get away with in this game, we won't be able to get away with when we face a tougher team. Like the 21 turnovers. Yikes. But. A win is a win. Take it and build on it going forward. Well done, UConn.

Reaction Score
The stats in this game were strange. 3 players tied for the high in rebounds with 5! When you talk about balanced scoring this game had it. I'm looking forward to seeing Page back out there. It will be interesting to see if she can get back in game shape by tournament time.

Reaction Score
Different Bat channel, same UConn result.

Blue pill commercial near the end of the game. Target audience? The Boneyard..

Great team defense and transition. That's what wins championships.

I think EW is better coming off the bench. She comes in and throws the hammer (I've been watching curling). She helps the team more with her energy. Tough for opponents with her coming off the bench

It took Caroline 2:12 to shoot and score.

I like the interchangeability of 4 & 5's, working well together. Switching off playing one big or two. Same goes for 1 - 3's

Only thing I don't like as we enter the homestretch: SC played TN today, while Stanford plays Oregon. UConn got two cupcakes for the weekend.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable game!
Azzi 1 for 7 from 3 Unbelievable!
21 Turnovers. Unbelievable!

For me it was use of foul language, frustrating, and a whole lot of fun

Reaction Score
South Carolina lost to Missouri and Missouri was missing some starters but sorry they are not unbeatable..Slowly but surely UCONN is looking like UCONN….never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION….
And if and when Paige gets back…Azzi was right “Nasty” and scary too!!!! I rest my case.

Reaction Score
1645392298909.png

Reaction Score
If Paige can return this season, Geno can play Paige with Ducharme, Azzi and Nika. That’s 4 high basketball IQ players all on the court at the same time. Ducharme at the 4, Paige at the 3, Azzi at the 2 and Nika at Point. Put whoever you want at the point. That’s a winning combo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unbelievable game!
Azzi 1 for 7 from 3 Unbelievable!
21 Turnovers. Unbelievable!

For me it was use of foul language, frustrating, and a whole lot of fun
Azzi 1 for 7 from 3 .. and recently 0 for 7 from 3 .. to be considered a 'pure shooter', ya gotta make 'em, eh?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How can you call it a balanced attack when our three 'bigs' get only 9 out of 58 shots against a smaller team .. this is BAD for chemistry!
Small ball was more effective against Georgetown and it allowed UConn to go on a big run. Then Geno could put the bigs in to get into game shape or get more experience

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom