Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You watched South Carolina today and came away with the opinion the Huskies have no chance? Did we see the same game? I saw a five minute or so stretch where both teams couldn’t make a shot. Then I turned to the UConn game so I don’t know what happened after but I do know So Carolina won 67-53 against a team without its best player.

That’s not a knock on South Carolina. The simple fact is that any of the top teams can knock one another off depending on which version of the team that shows up. If the team that beat Tennessee in the XL Center plays South Carolina, I like our chances - a lot. If the Villanova game version shows up, ummm, maybe not.

South Carolina is formidable but they are not unbeatable. I think even their fans would admit that. “Respect all but fear none” - John Wooden

Reaction Score
Small ball was more effective against Georgetown and it allowed UConn to go on a big run. Then Geno could put the bigs in to get into game shape or get more experience
Liv, Dorka and AE don't need more experience .. they need to see the ball once-in-awhile to keep them happy .. it's called Basketball 101, eh?

Reaction Score
21 turnovers and the announcers must have said at least 5 times, "she got away with a walk on that one." I don't think I have seen a UConn team with the turnovers we have this year since before 1995. This will come back to bite us in a close game in the NCAA's. That and our foul shooting. And people can't still be moving the pivot foot before starting their dribble this late in the season. Hard to complain after a big win, but the big win hides some weakness we need to fix.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Different Bat channel, same UConn result.

Blue pill commercial near the end of the game. Target audience? The Boneyard..

Great team defense and transition. That's what wins championships.

I think EW is better coming off the bench. She comes in and throws the hammer (I've been watching curling). She helps the team more with her energy. Tough for opponents with her coming off the bench

It took Caroline 2:12 to shoot and score.

I like the interchangeability of 4 & 5's, working well together. Switching off playing one big or two. Same goes for 1 - 3's

Only thing I don't like as we enter the homestretch: SC played TN today, while Stanford plays Oregon. UConn got two cupcakes for the weekend.
LOL!! Good one. :p

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Liv, Dorka and AE don't need more experience .. they need to see the ball once-in-awhile to keep them happy .. it's called Basketball 101, eh?
Liv is coming back from an injury and her minutes are limited. Dorka and Aaliyah played 25 and 24 minutes, respectively , not an inconsequential amount.

Again, the small ball was most effective today. Geno went with what works.

Reaction Score
Hard not to like a 40 point win but, but. Why so many turnovers against one of the worse teams in the conference? We tend to get sloppy and had long stretches of not scoring. Lots of problems with poor passes into our posts who were well covered or had fumbles out of bounds off of decent passes. Hope we are working the heavy ball in the gym and improving hand eye coordination. This is an on-going problem.

Some of Geno's floor combinations didn't jell well but some combos gave him a good look at what might work in the future. Our three bigs at the game end needed to do more with defensive rebounding.

On the plus side, we finished well and seemed to have a best tempo at a 10-20 second offensive set, not 20-25 like much of the second half. Again, hard to argue but the players need to play up as if against a solid top ten team, not down as we did in much of this game.

As a fan, I wish we would continue a game end offense, not to run up the score but to continue to improve, why waste that time. It's an illness with current basketball. If 40 points are an embarrassment, what's another two?

Good to see all healthy players getting some court time, contribute and develop. We have a bright future.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Good win because all wins are good. It wasn't "4th quarter Marquette" good by any means, though. Love seeing Amari getting more mins.

I know there will be some that identify my thoughts here as "just another spoiled UConn fan" BUT...

Very few teams go into EVERY season year after year with legit expectations of a final four or better. So that's the bar, like it or not.

We're still more potential than performance. Despite recent scores, we're not ready to face the big dogs on the national stage in a "win or go home" scenario as yet.

We have some great players and we can be much better. Need more focus on 40 minutes of crisp accurate passes and cuts. Confident shooting seems to be on the uptick (might be the Azzi Effect) with fewer hesitations and missed opportunities. Can we do that against the best? Not yet, IMO. Getting there, but need to do so with great urgency.

Reaction Score
You watched South Carolina today and came away with the opinion the Huskies have no chance? Did we see the same game? I saw a five minute or so stretch where both teams couldn’t make a shot.

That’s not a knock on South Carolina. The simple fact is that any of the top teams can knock another one off depending on which version of the team that shows up. If the team that beat Tennessee in the XL Center plays South Carolina, I like our chances - a lot. If the Villanova game version shows up, ummm, maybe not.

South Carolina is formidable but they are not unbeatable. I think even their fans would admit that. “Respect all but fear none” - John Wooden
WOW, I know everyone has an opinion and an individual perspective but what game was he watching? Dawn Staley certainly wasn't that pleased with SC's overall performance today... As in year's past, SC looked disjointed and out of sequence--honestly, I am not overly impressed--good but not great, formidable but not unbeatable. I walked away with the exact opposite observation: given where UConn is now with a healthy squad, they can certainly beat SC or anyone, for that matter....

Reaction Score
You watched South Carolina today and came away with the opinion the Huskies have no chance? Did we see the same game? I saw a five minute or so stretch where both teams couldn’t make a shot.

That’s not a knock on South Carolina. The simple fact is that any of the top teams can knock another one off depending on which version of the team that shows up. If the team that beat Tennessee in the XL Center plays South Carolina, I like our chances - a lot. If the Villanova game version shows up, ummm, maybe not.

Absolutely right @HuskyNan .
SoCar beat Tenn by 14 pts at home... without Horston... Tenn's BEST Player... and no major players missing from SoCar.
UCONN beat Tenn by 19pts at home...with only Green (a back up) missing and... UCONN missing NPOY.
While I realize the transitive theory doesn't apply to basketball games, the fact is, against a "similar" opponent, the results were similar, even with UCONN missing their best player.

Bottom line... to Quote @HuskyNan ... "South Carolina is formidable but not unbeatable." they have been beaten this year.

Reaction Score
I guess the game was not important enough to keep their attention...too sloppy and too many turnovers. Maybe having so many different sets of players together is confusing, I don't know. Lots of good stuff with the bad.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How can you call it a balanced attack when our three 'bigs' get only 9 out of 58 shots against a smaller team .. this is BAD for chemistry!
Well 2 of them were sitting with fouls, so that didn't help.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We have Bueckers, Fudd, CFD, and Williams. They are all scorers who can put up 20-30 points (not all at once, but on any given day). We're gonna be a guard oriented offense. Just the way it is.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Great to get a win. Lots of playing time for lots of players. Troubling amount of turnovers, but great effort on the defensive end. I think ONO had a pretty sloppy game all around with fouls, turnovers, and a general lack of concentrated effort. Nika was outstanding all around despite a few sloppy turnovers. Caroline looked a bit tired late in the game. Happy to see Amari and Piath get some floor time. Has to help them going forward. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Azzi 1 for 7 from 3 .. and recently 0 for 7 from 3 .. to be considered a 'pure shooter', ya gotta make 'em, eh?
Oops! Now we know you haven't been watching. I guess you just read stat sheets, which don't tell you that much.
Oh well, I guess I'm just excited about nothing. Darn, I've watched every minute of every game. She's a dynamic shooter of the basketball. 2nd to Steph? Shooters miss shots and hopefully they keep shooting.

Reaction Score
D97ED6F7-B67F-4C07-B34C-324040787257.jpeg
Another good team win. Everyone who played scored and contributed to the victory. The defense was very good. The offense shot well overall (56.7%) while 3 pt makes was 32%.
Christyn had the game high 19 pts and 5 assists. Nika had 11pts and a game tying high of 6 steals with CD. Azzi was a bit off at the 3pt arc but still managed to score 12 pts. She along with Ono and Dorka tied for most rebounds (5). Evina had another solid game and provided the most blocks (2). However, turnovers were a problem (21) but this was balanced out by the team’s steals (21).

UConn’s bench is really progressing and with PB return, they will be a very tough team to beat in the tournament.

Reaction Score
If Paige can return this season, Geno can play Paige with Ducharme, Azzi and Nika. That’s 4 high basketball IQ players all on the court at the same time. Ducharme at the 4, Paige at the 3, Azzi at the 2 and Nika at Point. Put whoever you want at the point. That’s a winning combo.
Have to agree. Without Paige, the flow is best when Nika, Azzi and Caroline are on the floor (plus pick 2 from Dorka, CW, Evina , AE and Liv). With Paige, I’d love to see those 4 plus Dorka or Liv.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • UConn came out pressuring the ball to force the tempo of the game. Nika was her typical annoying self with 5 steals in the first half. The Hoyas hung around for a while, but UConn picked up the pace with about 5 minutes left in the half going on a 19-2 run and it was all over except for the second half.
  • I love that Azzi appears to have adopted Caroline’s philosophy to just keep on shooting until they go in. After missing her first 3 shots from the arc, you just knew the 4th was going down. It wasn’t a typical Azzi shooting game, but she continues to demonstrate that she is a complete basketball player who’s understanding of the game reminds me of another freshman who played for UConn last season.
  • Georgetown turns the ball over a lot. UConn’s defense today was relentless. That’s a bad combination for the Hoyas which resulted in the Huskies forcing 30 turnovers, including 21 steals.
  • Christyn has really put together a string of solid games for UConn. Her “ankle-breaking” crossover dribble and layup in the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty.
  • A little sloppy at times today by the Huskies, but it’s hard to argue with a 41-point victory.
  • Amari once again showing that 3-pt stroke that gets UConn fans just a little bit excited about the future.
Ok may surprise people here - but I thought this was Nika’s best game of the season. Overall wish out bigs played as well as our guards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom