Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Interesting, such disparate opinions.

The latter for me. She seems a smart player, 1 move ahead. She appears to know where she's passing before she receives, shoots with ease and purpose.

Tipped in a rebound off a missed shot with her fingertips without catching the ball (though it didn't count as she was fouled on the prior miss). Not the first time we've seen her catch high, straight up without moving it down at all. Set a great, proper, flat screen at the high post, anticipating the player rotation from the wing. A number of UConn's screens are either moving, are ineffective with the screener rotating before the cutter is clear.

Seems a smooth, graceful athlete, which sometimes can be misleading in terms of perceived effort. For me, I enjoy her time on the floor - hope its a trend!
I thought the first quote was about Edwards and the second about DeBerry. If I was correct, these are not conflicting opinions.

Reaction Score
I'm not writing anything you don't know--Some players play great against certain type of teams than others. AE, is one of favorites. Caroline is one of my favorites (look at my Avatar). I wonder if it's concentration, because AE can be extremely good, or physical?? However, aren't we lucky AE is on Uconn W CBB team??
I don't think the factor in the good game- not so good game phenomenon with AE is the opponent. I just think it is energy, focus, conditioning, and the fact that she is not a natural basketball player but a superior athlete still learning basketball skills and the game. She has to be in the zone and that seems to be very other game right now.

Reaction Score
Hard to complain after a big win, but the big win hides some weakness we need to fix.
Doesn't seem to be hard for you to do it. And hides weaknesses from who? You think the coaches don't see things, that players don't know things?

The UConn team I saw play today was able to beat a Big East team by 41 points on a day when their outside shots were not falling particuarly well. They did it with defense, running the floor in transition and getting loose balls. Being able to turn to something else when one thing is not working is a strength. So, if people are gonna nitpick a team that has gone through all this one has, players who have not dropped their heads but continued to get better, at least include the good with the bad.

Reaction Score
As I have said before, "Bring your game, not your name!"
If you're missing shots - 0 for 7, 1 for 7 - "keep shooting" doesn't sound very logical nor team oriented, eh?
And yes, I've been watching [her poor shooting games]
A shooter keeps shooting good shots until the coach tells him or her to stop, period, end of story. Fudd has a shooter’s mentality as well she should; every shot isn’t going to go in, but the next one always is. As long as you know what a good shot is, and Fudd does, fire away until the coach takes you out. The last thing you want is a gun shy shooter.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah shouldn't be positioned at the high post. This is an error in strategy if Geno is utilizing her there. She is best suited down low. Dorka is much better at the high post.
Amari has the makings of being a fabulous high post player. Have we ever had a 6’5” post with excellent arc range? Stewie of course, but she is 6’4” and is a totally unique player.

Reaction Score
I thought the first quote was about Edwards and the second about DeBerry. If I was correct, these are not conflicting opinions.
I think you are right Jordy. I also agree that AE isn't the best choice to be directing the action from the top of the key and that Caroline would be better the better choice.

Reaction Score
I think you are right Jordy. I also agree that AE isn't the best choice to be directing the action from the top of the key and that Caroline would be better the better choice.
Even better is ONO. A much better passer and a somewhat more reliable jumper from the elbow. However, if UConn uses a lot of four guard sets, one isn’t going to see a lot of high-low post sets. We may see more back picks to free the cutting guards.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I also worry about different referees in the Big Dance who will not allow as much physicality as we are used to. It has plagued the men's league in the NCAAs for years. One notable exception in the men's league is Villanova, who foul rarely even in league play.
Except for gillespie who has some sort of exemption.

Reaction Score
Even better is ONO. A much better passer and a somewhat more reliable jumper from the elbow. However, if UConn uses a lot of four guard sets, one isn’t going to see a lot of high-low post sets. We may see more back picks to free the cutting guards.
And ONO has been used to distribute frequently and done a good job. There isn't even a debate that she isn't better at it than AE and that includes shooting from the top of the key to keep the D honest. I kind of like the Caroline option on some possessions as she has the length to see the court, can shoot the 3 if the D gives her any room, is a threat to drive or get into a give and go situation It would also get the ball in her hands more often, which is a good thing.

Reaction Score
This is just a guess, but when Paige comes back she may be the ninth option. With six guards who have to play, we are going to see a lot of four guard sets.
As long as the size factor is not decisive, I would welcome that. The transition game is so much better as is the half court offense with a four guard set and if Dorka or Liv is the fifth at times, you have 5 smart passers on the floor. Plus, an excellent pressing team. I also think Evina's defense has been top shelf these last few games as has Nika's and CD's was great today as well. 6 steals for a 3 guard/forward is very unusual.
Except for gillespie who has some sort of exemption.
I would call it more like blanket immunity.

Reaction Score
The past few games, Dorka and Edwards were both passing and playing well. One average to poor game and we go with 4 guards? If you have watched the top 10 teams in women's basketball this year, the value of having 2 bigs in at all times will be obvious.

Reaction Score
The past few games, Dorka and Edwards were both passing and playing well. One average to poor game and we go with 4 guards? If you have watched the top 10 teams in women's basketball this year, the value of having 2 bigs in at all times will be obvious.
I don’t question the value of having two bigs; that’s ideal. However, with Paige we will have six guards for three positions. It seems to be imperative that four guard sets will be used at some point during the games. I am by no means suggesting that two bigs will not also be used.

Reaction Score
The turnovers are troubling, but by quarter they were 8-2-2-9. I am not worrying about the 9 in Q4 as the team didn't push the ball, played in the half-court and were forcing the ball to the subs. The issue that concerns me is the slow and sloppy starts -- now two games in a row.

Reaction Score
The turnovers are troubling, but by quarter they were 8-2-2-9. I am not worrying about the 9 in Q4 as the team didn't push the ball, played in the half-court and were forcing the ball to the subs. The issue that concerns me is the slow and sloppy starts -- now two games in a row.
Agree. In the Big Dance it could be a Big Problem. In the FF, it's usually terminal.

Reaction Score
Liv, Dorka and AE don't need more experience .. they need to see the ball once-in-awhile to keep them happy .. it's called Basketball 101, eh?
Dorka and AE played like they wanted to be on they wanted to play. They hustled and played D. Live acted like she wants to retire.

Reaction Score
Great to get a win. Lots of playing time for lots of players. Troubling amount of turnovers, but great effort on the defensive end. I think ONO had a pretty sloppy game all around with fouls, turnovers, and a general lack of concentrated effort. Nika was outstanding all around despite a few sloppy turnovers. Caroline looked a bit tired late in the game. Happy to see Amari and Piath get some floor time. Has to help them going forward. Go Huskies.
ONO pretty sloppy…uh, yeah…she literally seemed sedated, none of the energy or intensity she’d started to show before she sat out with her mysterious groin injury. She‘s huge when she’s engaged, what happened?

Reaction Score
While true at some point size can become a factor, UCONN did get to Final Four with a small team last year. And the two very big teams SC and Baylor they beat. They lost to small-ball Arkansas and I wouldn't say it was like UCONN posts got overwhelmed by size vs Arizona.,

There is a tendency to overrate size at times. Other times ofc it is mandatory to match up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don’t question the value of having two bigs; that’s ideal. However, with Paige we will have six guards for three positions. It seems to be imperative that four guard sets will be used at some point during the games. I am by no means suggesting that two bigs will not also be used.
Concur, matchups and situations will factor heavily but he won't be short of options... They should spend some time working four guards in the remaining games, they've spent most of the season running two bigs high-low. FWIW, he sounds much less sanguine today about getting Paige back.

Reaction Score
Amari has the makings of being a fabulous high post player. Have we ever had a 6’5” post with excellent arc range? Stewie of course, but she is 6’4” and is a totally unique player.
Yeah. Dolson.

Reaction Score
Just caught the replay thanks to @MJL243 . Honestly, I didn't think we played that well but I'm not going to be overly negative about a 40 point win.

CW and Nika deserve the game balls. They both played well on both ends and had great energy.

I thought both freshman played ok. I like that Azzi took 13 shots in 23 minutes. They all were pretty much good looks, she just missed them. I also like that CD played over 20 minutes, as she's trying to recover from injury. She had a lot of great steals and the 3 at the end of the 3rd was classic CD (no hesitation, line it up and fire). I just thought she turned the ball over a bit much and looked a step slow getting back on defense.

I know the minutes/rotations/starters talk is annoying but I feel like this was a bit of an example of how Geno is going to have to make tough decisions. Of course AE was a starter last year and she's probably the most physical/inside scoring post on the team. But I didn't think she played well today. Dorka on the other hand gives the team a spacing,pick and pop dimension. If I'm not mistaken she had a really good stretch in the second quarter after she had been sitting for quite a bit that really helped extend the lead. Dorka played 13 minutes, AE played 24. We will see but I kind of have a feeling that once ONO gets back to 100 percent, Dorka may go back to the bench.

EW played like I sort of expect now that shes found her niche off the bench. Another solid night from her

As everyone mentioned the turnovers will really hurt us eventually. It's the lazy post entries for me. Some made a good point about the lack of competition to end the season but I do think Marquette is a good test Wednesday, and then in the BE tournament we should get atleast two solid games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom