Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Late to the discussion. Social life got in the way!!

A lot of good things from this game. First I'm going to give credit to Georgetown for playing aggressive defense and packing the lane. That was their only hope of gaining an upset or even staying close. It worked for a while.

UConn figured it out with their aggressive pressure defense. Nika, Caroline, Christyn and E made the G'town guards' lives miserable. Defense wins championships. And in UConn's case, defense also fuels the offense.

Turnovers - give G'town some credit. After the 1st quarter, the turnovers were almost nil until the 4th quarter. The changing of the 5 on the court is also going to effect turnovers. The team is just getting back to almost full strength. There is still time to clean things up.

Make no mistake, Nika runs the show! I hope the doubters are paying attention.

Best 5 on the court today - Nika, Azzi, Christyn, E and Dorka. Dorka can play the high post very well. She has been making those passes to our backdoor cutters. You can see the chemistry. Let her make a couple of 3's and it opens up the lane.

Going with the four guard one post lineup was more than G'town could handle. We do not have small guards and they play physical. They are not a soft bunch. They can run the floor with the best of them. The Big East is not for the faint of heart. Teams are coming after you.

Shooters are shooters. Ours are Azzi and Caroline. Defenses have to know were they are on the court because it is a double threat.

As to the Big Dance, SC will be favored. But no team is invincible. Any team can have an off night and any team can go on a hot streak to win 6 in a row. Like it or not, parody has arrived in wcbb.

Reaction Score
Your the guy that said Aubrey would lead the team in scoring there freshman year and we’re supposed to take you seriously please
Yeah I said the same about Breanna Stewart after seeing her also play in high school in the Gauchos gym in the Bronx .. ya win some, ya lose some, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We have problems anticipating the doubleteam in the post and quickly distributing the ball. That’s 1/2 of AE’s problems right there. Saw some of Stanford’s game and SC’s game. It took some crazy / lucky shots at the end for Stanford to beat Oregon. I thought Tennessee attacking the paint to get Boston in could trouble was a good approach for Tennessee. We might want to consider it ourselves some. We probably are better off shooting open look 3’s though. Great game by Nika but No, this team is not better OFFENSIVELY with that tandem. Games like this don’t really tell you that much. Get back to me when players play great against top competition. Azzi has done that. Caroline has done that. Paige obviously. Liv and CW. That’s your core. Everyone else is supplementary.

Reaction Score
Amari has the makings of being a fabulous high post player. Have we ever had a 6’5” post with excellent arc range? Stewie of course, but she is 6’4” and is a totally unique player.
Does Dorka count?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
My concern for UConn is that the offense clicks when the team is causing live ball turnovers but, when the team has to run a half-court offense, the offense bogs down and has not run efficiently. UConn is not going to get a lot of live ball turnovers against the stronger teams they play, or at least they have not as yet. They have got to get much better at running their half-court offense or they will continue to struggle during the post season. Also, I wonder why Ono does not post up close to the basket like Piath does so all she has to do is turn and lay the ball in the basket. I am glad we got the opportunity to see Piath and Amari play the last two games. I like the way the team is focusing on getting them the ball. I hope they get to play against Marquette. It would mean UConn has the game well in hand.

sun

Reaction Score
I attribute the good defense to the frequent rotation and rest for each player.
They all played really hard after entering the game, and in the presser the players said that they appreciate the bench rest.

Azzi missed some shots but some of them were rebounded for 2nd shots which weren't all wasteful.
And Azzi also made up for some of her misses with RB's and steals.

UConn had strong inside scoring except it wasn't by the bigs but in transition and by lay ups.
Play of the game for me was when the G'Town player rammed into AE's chest and the announcer said that she got hit in the face.
But it was mostly her nose and her own fault, and when AE was hit she didn't move a muscle, she held her ground like a tree and there wasn't any foul.
The player of the game was CW. Geno said in the presser that he favored her for extra minutes because she's a senior, and I imagine that he wants to help her get drafted in the highest position possible.
She leads by example and works her butt off in the gym and on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty lofty comparisons. Not saying it isn't so because I think Amari will be special. Still, very lofty.
The comparison was only about three-point shooting. No lofty comparisons intended.

Reaction Score
Defense. It is all about defense. We only go as far as our defense takes us.

Offensively we have playmakers, shot makers, and depth. In short, if we are mentally tough to limit turnovers, we have it all.

Defensively what do we have? That is the question. Do we have defensive "stoppers" to neutralize the other team's best offensive weapon? Can we neutralize Boston, of SC? Siegrist of 'Nova? K. Clark? Jones, Belibi, Brink? Ramirez? etc.

In the South Carolina game, even with UConn scoring just 3 points in the 4th quarter; defensively holding them to less than 57 points the whole game, means we would have won! Think about that. We could not do it early in the year. Can we do it now?

Reaction Score

Offensively we have playmakers, shot makers, and depth. In short, if we are mentally tough to limit turnovers, we have it all.

Defensively what do we have? That is the question. Do we have defensive "stoppers" to neutralize the other team's best offensive weapon? Can we neutralize Boston, of SC? Siegrist of 'Nova? K. Clark? Jones, Belibi, Brink? Ramirez? etc.

In the South Carolina game, even with UConn scoring just 3 points in the 4th quarter; defensively holding them to less than 57 points the whole game, means we would have won! Think about that. We could not do it early in the year. Can we do it now?
if I could give this post more than one like I could. Idk how many times needs to be said, nobody is worried about Uconn's offense. The reason they win is if they can play defense, was not show vs South Carolina. Arkansas put up big pts but just did not have the talent. I saw today Stanford play a terrible game for 3/4 quarters be down 10 at Oregon in the 4th and what changed the game? Their defense was just suffocating the last 8 minutes, held Oregon to 2 pts. That's what's going to win the ntl title.

Reaction Score

Balance wins it all. Not just defense. You need balance.

If we would have scored more points than SC then we would have won - think about that. :)

As Geno said in his postgame, he said sometimes when you score more you put pressure on the other team to have to score to keep up.

Bottomline line is that you have to score enough to win.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jordy: Rebecca did in fact have 3 point range...did not take many treys but you had to guard her.
Her high low passing with Kara Wolters near the basket was near unstoppable. Lobo was an excellent passer in addition to having post moves and face-the-basket shooting skills. Once Kara got it....it rarely went anywhere except in a shot.

Of course Geno tagged her with 'worst post player in the country'...but only until Wolters arrived in Rebecca's junior year.

Reaction Score
As I have said before, "Bring your game, not your name!"
If you're missing shots - 0 for 7, 1 for 7 - "keep shooting" doesn't sound very logical nor team oriented, eh?
And yes, I've been watching [her poor shooting games]
Unless her COACH tells her to keep shooting!.

Reaction Score
Jordy: Rebecca did in fact have 3 point range...did not take many treys but you had to guard her.
Her high low passing with Kara Wolters near the basket was near unstoppable. Lobo was an excellent passer in addition to having post moves and face-the-basket shooting skills. Once Kara got it....it rarely went anywhere except in a shot.

Of course Geno tagged her with 'worst post player in the country'...but only until Wolters arrived in Rebecca's junior year.
I did look up her stats. She shot 33 per cent from the arc, which was certainly a good percentage at the time. It fell to 30 in the WNBA; in neither was she a prolific shooter of threes.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Another way of looking at 4 guard sets with a 9 player rotation. If he stays committed full-time to two bigs, that gives a baseline of 120 minutes for 6 guards (20 per) and 80 for the three bigs (27 per) before adjusting for game flow. I would guess that he wants Liv, Azzi, and Caroline getting more minutes and Aliyah and Dorka relatively fewer. Some four guard seems inevitable. Of course, all of this is predicated on Paige playing and who knows how many minutes she'll be able to go.

Reaction Score
21 turnovers worries me. Lots of rotations, etc. contributed, but they have to figure that out. Love the balanced attack and great defense. Wednesday against Marquette will be a tough game.

Reaction Score
Late to the discussion. Social life got in the way!!

A lot of good things from this game. First I'm going to give credit to Georgetown for playing aggressive defense and packing the lane. That was their only hope of gaining an upset or even staying close. It worked for a while.

UConn figured it out with their aggressive pressure defense. Nika, Caroline, Christyn and E made the G'town guards' lives miserable. Defense wins championships. And in UConn's case, defense also fuels the offense.

Turnovers - give G'town some credit. After the 1st quarter, the turnovers were almost nil until the 4th quarter. The changing of the 5 on the court is also going to effect turnovers. The team is just getting back to almost full strength. There is still time to clean things up.

Make no mistake, Nika runs the show! I hope the doubters are paying attention.

Best 5 on the court today - Nika, Azzi, Christyn, E and Dorka. Dorka can play the high post very well. She has been making those passes to our backdoor cutters. You can see the chemistry. Let her make a couple of 3's and it opens up the lane.

Going with the four guard one post lineup was more than G'town could handle. We do not have small guards and they play physical. They are not a soft bunch. They can run the floor with the best of them. The Big East is not for the faint of heart. Teams are coming after you.

Shooters are shooters. Ours are Azzi and Caroline. Defenses have to know were they are on the court because it is a double threat.

As to the Big Dance, SC will be favored. But no team is invincible. Any team can have an off night and any team can go on a hot streak to win 6 in a row. Like it or not, parody has arrived in wcbb.
Both parity and parody ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom