Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Creighton won by 10, we won by 6
But that game was not close and never in doubt who was going to win-I watched that game. Creighton was up by 10-15 pts for most of the 2nd half and led by 20 pts at one point if I recall Correctly. Was this UConn GTown game in doubt? Of course it was when GTown took a 1 pt lead with under 4 minutes left

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creighton won by 10, we won by 6
Family Son GIF by ABC Network

Reaction Score
I thought Hurley did a nice job managing minutes today. Hawk has been our most impactful player lately so he got the most minutes. Newton has been excellent as well so he got the next most minutes. Some may not like this, but despite AJ’s offensive woes, he’ll continue to get around 30 minutes per game. To be honest, if he wasn’t in foul trouble today, he probably would have got more. AK and Sanogo will continue to play around 30 minutes each. Clingan can have a major impact on games so he’s getting 10-15 minutes. If Hurley decides to go Double Big or if Sanogo is in foul trouble, he’ll get 15-20.

My only issue is Alleyne getting too many minutes at the expense of Diarra. Our guards coming off the bench should get around 10 minutes each. This includes Joey C, Diarra and Alleyne.

Samson just isn’t ready to provide a meaningful impact yet. Hopefully, he’ll fit into the 10-minute category by the end of the year, but we may need to wait until next year.

Reaction Score
G'Town has good players just can't get BE wins for some reason....doesn't mean they suck.

Uconn players made some mistakes but it's impossible to play a perfect game. DH should have called timeouts earlier. It's a win
How many time outs do you think a team has?

Reaction Score
I thought Hurley did a nice job managing minutes today. Hawk has been our most impactful player lately so he got the most minutes. Newton has been excellent as well so he got the next most minutes. Some may not like this, but despite AJ’s offensive woes, he’ll continue to get around 30 minutes per game. To be honest, if he wasn’t in foul trouble today, he probably would have got more. AK and Sanogo will continue to play around 30 minutes each. Clingan can have a major impact on games so he’s getting 10-15 minutes. If Hurley decides to go Double Big or if Sanogo is in foul trouble, he’ll get 15-20.

My only issue is Alleyne getting too many minutes at the expense of Diarra. Our guards coming off the bench should get around 10 minutes each. This includes Joey C, Diarra and Alleyne.

Samson just isn’t ready to provide a meaningful impact yet. Hopefully, he’ll fit into the 10-minute category by the end of the year, but we may need to wait until next year.
I think Alleyne was in because he is a bigger guard who could guard Murray. Not sure Diarra could of guarded Murray.

Reaction Score
The standings say otherwise.
Maybe they are the worst in recent play or bad and trending worst in recent play. We were #2 just over a month ago. Current standings Huskies are mediocre.

Reaction Score
I think Alleyne was in because he is a bigger guard who could guard Murray. Not sure Diarra could have guarded Murray.
Alleyne had a rough first run in the 1st. Made like 3 bad plays back-to-back to back. Got a quick hook.

I thought he played an excellent 2nd half. He definitely matched up better vs Murray & played tough essentially foul-free D.

Reaction Score
Alleyne had a rough first run in the 1st. Made like 3 bad plays back-to-back to back. Got a quick hook.

I thought he played an excellent 2nd half. He definitely matched up better vs Murray & played tough essentially foul-free D.
Yeah just don't let him be next to the basket wide open. He becomes a head case. LOL!

Reaction Score
It a road win
The score is irrelevant
How much do you think our close losses count with all the excuses .
A big fat zero
The only thing that counts are we’re 18-6 and the next game is an opportunity to add another to the left side . Whether we win by 20 or 1 . I really don’t care . I learned st age 12 that how much you win by is meaningless.
NC squeaked by in every NCAA tournament game even trailing Yale st one point . Wilt’s Kansas team was a juggernaut blowing everyone out.
However when they met in finals NC won in OT
There are
7 more to go
And Marquette now is the biggest game of the year.
Think Only Marquette and think only W

Reaction Score
First time the UConn-Georgetown series is even since 1982. Georgetown lead the series 27-9 going into the 93-94 season and it’s now 36-36.
The cream always rises to the top.

Reaction Score
But that game was not close and never in doubt who was going to win-I watched that game. Creighton was up by 10-15 pts for most of the 2nd half and led by 20 pts at one point if I recall Correctly. Was this UConn GTown game in doubt? Of course it was when GTown took a 1 pt lead with under 4 minutes left

There’s never any doubt about who’s going to win a game that Georgetown’s involved in, but that one was a 5-point game with less than 8 minutes to go.

The lead at the half was 14 and Georgetown had it under 10 with 15 minutes to go. Creighton didn’t get the lead back over 10 points until there were about 5 minutes to go. For most of the second half, it was a 5-10 point game

Reaction Score
Some people on here perceive any Hurley criticism as hate, so let me get this out there - I’m a huge fan of the job Hurley’s doing when it comes to building this program. They’re in a pretty good place now and set up even better for the future.

At the same time, he has some really bad, really stubborn habits that have hurt his teams. As an example, we’re in February and no one on the bench seems to know his role, likely because there’s no consistency with how players are used.

I’d like to see this staff mix and match players more thoughtfully. We saw a lineup out there today that consisted of Diarra, Alleyne, Jackson, and Clingan. When Diarra takes over for Newton, he should be paired with offensive-minded players like Hawkins and Sanogo. Meanwhile, someone like Joey C should be paired with good defenders like Jackson and Clingan. Obviously this is oversimplifying things for example purposes, but you get the idea.

There are better ways to get 8-9 guys consistent minutes on this team than how they’ve been doing it all year.
Totally agree. This includes the pairing and use of the big guys based on the opponent.

Reaction Score
Anyone who calls this a bad win and is disappointed we didn’t blow this team out simply hasn’t been paying attention.

Georgetown has some legit players on offense. They’re not a great team, and they’re not very well coached, but they’re not nearly what they were last season.

This was a solid gutsy win on the road. More to build and improve on. I’d like to see us figure out some of our individual defense problems. If we can get back to the defense we had in Hurley’s earlier years here, we’re going to be in fine shape to make a run.

Other than that, it’s a road win in the Big East. We’re 18-6. Let’s set the XL on fire on Tuesday and get a huge win.
The spread was 14. I mean I started Gtown and stacked UConn -1.5, but phew.

Reaction Score
It’s funny how the Jackson is a great defender line gets picked up by guys who should know better. Spears had five assists mostly when he beat Jackson. Several other times he best him and got picked up by others down low. And remember, we were playing Georgetown, not Purdue. So 2 straight is good but 2 close games against the 2 worst teams in the league is still worrisome

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Georgetown could be a decent team quickly depending on when they dump Ewing and how much of this team the new coach can hold onto. That team is not terrible, but their shot selection is. Georgetown probably wins that game if they don't take the 10 stupidest shots they took today.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Ugh, how long does it usually take for replays to be made available? I had it set to record, but i just went to watch it and the recording is "partial" - it's 1 minute long. :(

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
7 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists for Jackson and he held their top scorer to 0 points. That'll play

Very true. So valuable. I also don't understand why his scoring package is so putrid.

Reaction Score
Seriously, if you told me we shot 12/24 from 3, outrebounded them 38-31, out-assisted them 20-10, I would assume we won by 20.
GT made a lot of 5-7'ers, we don't seem to have a defensive answer for this deep penetration. An occasional zone? Two bigs make a right to this bad??? Our guards get picked off the offensive guards too often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom