Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Ummm, he was the starter when he was healthy. I like what Karaban brings at that position as a starter but since Samson won the job already, I don’t see why we shouldn’t expect him to hold his own in the lineup. Don’t know why a few posters have said pretty much what you’re saying. Did you guys miss that he already was chosen to start?
No, he was chosen to start because Karaban was injured. He's going to play and be a big piece but anyone who thinks Samson Johnson will start has just not been paying attention. I'd be shocked if the starting lineup changed when we're playing this well

Reaction Score
Learn me a fine point. The TV telecast had Jackson with 4 fouls because the technical counts as a PF, but the box score just lists the 3 regular fouls. Is the technical always omitted from a stat line? A guy can be fouled out while showing only 4 fouls in the box score?

Wow on our assists. Wow on only 7 turnovers. Solid shooting. I give credit to Gtown on their shot making. Credit Gtown on great board work. Wahab played an excellent game. Loved the bench energy and results obviously. Loved that so many of our guys hit a 3. Didn't like that we played Clingan far from the basket offensively, he was never in a position or play to get the type of lobs that work so well. I hate technicals and don't believe a coach technical ever helps anything. Love we made our foul shots. Merry Christmas to The Boneyard from Joey and Hasson..
Looks like they count the technical fouls separate

E67052F0-2475-45AF-89A2-118891DCFB78.jpeg

Reaction Score
In the 1st half especially I thought Newton played his best ball, best PG ball, of the season. Carried us the first half.

Played at a better, faster pace. Made really good, quick decisions with the ball. We just might have a UConn PG on our hands. For the first time this season he put the East Carolina PG playing style in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
Great win. Depth was the key.

The legend of Joey C. grows, the kid was just fantastic. It still surprises me how long Hurley will leave Karaban out there when he's playing poorly. This was the first time this season that I thought we needed Johnson. Major props to Georgetown, they made some tough, tough shots. What a night of two streaks for Hawkins, had that hot streak early, missed everything in the middle, and then ended with some key hoops. It's crazy when you can have two players with the talent level of Hawkins and Sanogo leave the game at the same time, and not worry about a dropoff. That just does not happen.

I think this was the first game where you can say that both of our bigs had good but not great games.
Karaban hit shots early... I was at the game and did a rewatch, more focused on the second half run. Where's the Karaban played poorly narrative coming from?

Reaction Score
What an emotion packed game, man there was so much energy on the floor and in the building. Give Georgetown credit, they played their best game of the season and Spears is a baller. Any team is capable of beating us if they are "on" and we aren't. UConn is back to being "the game" that other teams are up for. Credit to UConn for answering the challenge and responding with solid play down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Perhaps not the game some or even many fans wanted, but the game this team needed. Needed in the sense that they stepped up and made big plays and had some unexpected HUGE contributions against a foe they were expected to beat down.

Plus, as common as it is to say this, all the best teams need to still realize not to take anyone lightly. Every opponent is coming at UConn with their best. That might have been GTowns best game of the year, if not BEST for sure one of the best and UConn has that target on their back, expect 18 more battles, or at least the majority of those final 18 will be battles. The game was needed so the team can realize that they are taking everyone/nearly everyone's best shot. Hope this helps with the focus, better for it to happen now in December, and at home, and against GTown. Thankfully not with Nova, Xavier, Marquette and/or on the road.

That's another thing, @St. Johns, @Nova, @Xavier, @Marquette, @Providence and @Creighton are going to be huge challenges as, especially with Creighton and Nova, they will be licking their chops at the chance to revive their season with a statement win at home and Gtown is just an intro as to what to expect from 2, 3, 4 or perhaps 5 or even all 6 of those away games.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, he was chosen to start because Karaban was injured. He's going to play and be a big piece but anyone who thinks Samson Johnson will start has just not been paying attention. I'd be shocked if the starting lineup changed when we're playing this well
I don’t think that was the only reason. But I agree the starting lineup probably won’t change. There could be matchups where it does, or should.

Reaction Score
We’re 13-0 and the #2 team in the country with Karaban starting

Hurley would be insane to bench him for Samson off the bat.

Samson won the starting job over the summer, that doesn’t mean he’s entitled to it now ESPECIALLY when the team is so successful as it is.

I imagine they’ll share minutes very well and will each shine in their own situational matchups. But unless Samson really earns that spot back in game, he’s coming off the bench

Reaction Score
Leave it up to the 'yard to advocate starting a kid who couldn't sniff the floor that last year compared to a freshman averaging an effecient 9/4/2.

Karaban had bad games vs. Butler/Gtown/Florida OKst. He kicked ass in our cupcake games and the Oregon, Alabama, ISU games. He's hitting a freshman wall. We need to let him play through this and learn. He's never had to play bigger, stronger, faster athletes than him before and hasn't adjusted his play on both ends of the floor yet.

In the off-season, I would like to see Karaban work on quicker footwork on his 3s, 1-footed layups, and his straight line drive with the ball in his hands.

And folks... Johnson wasn't starting over Karaban because he's a better player. Hurley likes to bring freshman along slowly when he can, and Karaban had been hutr. Let's be realistic. Johnson will be a contributor but expecting someone to go from "so bad he can't even sniff the floor in total blowout games" to "starting caliber player" is a pretty tall task. He's got the athleticism to pull it off, but we should probably temper expectations a bit. He's on the Facey plan.

Reaction Score
Andre didn't start coming off his injury even though he was clearly the starter. DH does this to bring let player adjust game speed and build up endurance. I would expect he does the same thing with Samson. When he comes back he probably gets his first action in the middle of the first half.

Reaction Score
There was a plan for Facey?

Less plan, more developmental curve. Though unlike the last regime, I would expect our staff does have an improvement plan for Johnson (and every other player).

Reaction Score
Raftery: "Oh my goodness!!!!"

...well before Calcaterra's long 3.

Amazing that old coot knows exactly what's coming right before it happens.
I must’ve seen it when he did, I jumped up and yelled JOEEEYYYYY in the crowd before the pass got to him. Saw him wide open.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Less plan, more developmental curve. Though unlike the last regime, I would expect our staff does have an improvement plan for Johnson (and every other player).
Johnson was already reported to be the most improved player over the summer, along with Hawkins. He's going to be better right now than Facey ever was. Throw last year out, Dan had a two players who shouldn't have been on the team but for Covid. Johnson would have played a ton otherwise (so would Akok). It wouldn't surprise me if he eventually becomes the starter, mostly because he's a better fit with Sanogo and Alex is a better fit with Clingan. Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't change either, but people thinking it's not a close thing are under-selling Johnson. I expect the minutes to be about even once Johnson is back to game shape.

"Generally, you can't put too much stock into the results of these scrimmages," Hurley noted. "We're all working on things, different rotations, not playing people the amount of minutes they may play. Experimentation is a big part of it. But yeah, you walked out of it, from the week itself and going into (Monday's) practice, just feeling great about those two guys in particular."

Reaction Score
Perhaps not the game some or even many fans wanted, but the game this team needed. Needed in the sense that they stepped up and made big plays and had some unexpected HUGE contributions against a foe they were expected to beat down.

Plus, as common as it is to say this, all the best teams need to still realize not to take anyone lightly. Every opponent is coming at UConn with their best. That might have been GTowns best game of the year, if not BEST for sure one of the best and UConn has that target on their back, expect 18 more battles, or at least the majority of those final 18 will be battles. The game was needed so the team can realize that they are taking everyone/nearly everyone's best shot. Hope this helps with the focus, better for it to happen now in December, and at home, and against GTown. Thankfully not with Nova, Xavier, Marquette and/or on the road.

That's another thing, @St. Johns, @Nova, @Xavier, @Marquette, @Providence and @Creighton are going to be huge challenges as, especially with Creighton and Nova, they will be licking their chops at the chance to revive their season with a statement win at home and Gtown is just an intro as to what to expect from 2, 3, 4 or perhaps 5 or even all 6 of those away games.
I agree, hope it happens. Iron sharpens iron, and that the one thing this team needs is to face tough competition and play close games.

Reaction Score
Haven't watched Gtown play all year but is that really an 8 loss team? They seem to have some good pieces for a team doing so poorly. Or was this a classic example of a team saving their best game for us..

Reaction Score
Whether or not Samson starts will have little to nothing to do with his potential impact on this team. Last night was the perfect case and point for that when Hawk and Tristan cooled off and Joey and Hass came in and completely changed the energy and complection of the game. This does not strike me as a team where anyone is getting their nose bent out of shape about who is on the floor at tip off. Every single night can be “your night” to go off. Joey did it last night, Don did it to win PKI, alleyne was clutch against butler….

We have an incredibly small sample size on SJ this year but the coaching staff was very high on him coming into the season and they haven’t been wrong about much yet in 2022. Coming back to the game slowly, getting his mind and body back into the flow of things without having a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders to be “lights out” right away is a recipe for SJ to overperform if the preseason outlook on him is correct. It also gives him plenty of time to carve out a nice role for himself as a dynamic defender who gives us a completely different set of tools to work with than Karaban. Hopefully, his return also takes some pressure off AK who has been forced to play a much larger role than anticipated in his first true year as a husky (and in my opinion, he has exceeded expectations even in those games where he was picked on).

The last thing I’m worried about is who starts at the 4, and frankly it should be the last thing AK or SJ are worried about, either.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Good reminder that we are going to get every team’s best efforts moving forward. Georgetown and Butler both played about as well as they could and we still won both going away. Yesterday was extra special for Akok and Primo as both I’m sure feel a certain way about the Huskies. Wahab is another guy who we were very in on. These 3 guys played beyond their average expectations. We can expect that every night. There will be no easy games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom