Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Haven't watched Gtown play all year but is that really an 8 loss team? They seem to have some good pieces for a team doing so poorly. Or was this a classic example of a team saving their best game for us..

Saving their best for us.

Ewing's brand of iso-heavy mid-range basketball with no bench isn't sustainable in the long run. It's playground ball with bad defense.

Some nights they'll look like that. Other days, they'll shoot 35% from the floor. Wouldn't be surprised to win by 30 when we play them in DC.

Reaction Score
FkgvJIPVUAE6VOV

this is a freaky picture. almost looks like he is double-jointed. he makes this stuff look so natural in-game, and then you see a picture or replay and you say "wtf!"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In the 1st half especially I thought Newton played his best ball, best PG ball, of the season. Carried us the first half.

Played at a better, faster pace. Made really good, quick decisions with the ball. We just might have a UConn PG on our hands. For the first time this season he put the East Carolina PG playing style in the rear view mirror.

You were doing well until the last statement which is completely false.

Reaction Score
Needed a hard fought win like that. Glad the struggle came against Georgetown but if it was against a Xavier or Marquette would have been tough to overcome.

Nonetheless great atmosphere and comeback

Reaction Score
You were doing well until the last statement which is completely false.
Especially since I'd argue if anything the opposite is true and he played more like he did at ECU. I think he's been passive to a fault and when he drives is looking to pass instead of getting to the FT line at an elite rate like he did at ECU. Also not the first game he's shown that change anyway

Reaction Score
Especially since I'd argue if anything the opposite is true and he played more like he did at ECU. I think he's been passive to a fault and when he drives is looking to pass instead of getting to the FT line at an elite rate like he did at ECU. Also not the first game he's shown that change anyway

There was one play where it felt like he passed the ball AFTER getting fouled. I think it was back to Sanogo at the FT line. I'm sure the coaches are in his ear about getting to the line and knocking shots down... it's what we recruited him for. Seems like the last couple games, he's done a better job balancing scoring/facilitating in his new role.

Reaction Score
Tommy Award goes to Diarra. Hassan changed the game with his defense which then enabled the offense & Joey C to put the hammer down. Love everyone on the roster developing an emerging identity & role out on the floor.

To build on what others have said about the crowd, the team & fans melded into one & the arena was incendiary to the players igniting the run. Good crowd all game, but then the players collective effort to win stirred the passions of UConn fandom past & EVERYONE was up & screaming during that run. Chills

Reaction Score
Tommy Award goes to Diarra. Hassan changed the game with his defense which then enabled the offense & Joey C to put the hammer down. Love everyone on the roster developing an emerging identity & role out on the floor.

To build on what others have said about the crowd, the team & fans melded into one & the arena was incendiary to the players igniting the run. Good crowd all game, but then the players collective effort to win stirred the passions of UConn fandom past & EVERYONE was up & screaming during that run. Chills
I don't think anyone expected Diarra, Joey C, Alleyne, Jackson and Clingan to be the lineup that saved the game. Props to Hurley for going to that lineup at such a key point and not messing with it while it ran wild.

Reaction Score
I can't be the only person who heard raferty say on that play when joey passed behind the back to clingan for the dunk "calcaterra sucked the d" as in, calcaterra sucked the defense away from clingan for the dunk, right?

Yes it was the highlight of the game.

Finally watched this morning. A lot of high level shotmaking by Georgetown. They don’t look like they run much of anything but to their credit they were on offensively last night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I took a look at the Georgetown board and even when they were up by eight in the second half many of them were predicting a 10 point loss. That is one beaten down fan base.

But the funniest, was from Twitter:

1671639784855.png

Reaction Score
FkgvJIPVUAE6VOV

this is a freaky picture. almost looks like he is double-jointed. he makes this stuff look so natural in-game, and then you see a picture or replay and you say "wtf!"

For some reason, my first thought when seeing this picture was:
"Man, they did a great job replacing the Patoni tiles".

I remember how terrible that exact corner looked a decade ago.

Also, AJ is good at basketball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There was one play where it felt like he passed the ball AFTER getting fouled. I think it was back to Sanogo at the FT line. I'm sure the coaches are in his ear about getting to the line and knocking shots down... it's what we recruited him for. Seems like the last couple games, he's done a better job balancing scoring/facilitating in his new role.
And with Andre too. I got a bunch of dislikes for saying Andre was part of the problem early in the second half, but he has to stop passing out of great scoring opportunities and into poor ones. He's allergic to getting fouled on the offensive end, I don't understand it. He mixes it up so much on the boards and on D, but if any defender is near him he passes instead of scoring through contact.

Reaction Score
Johnson was already reported to be the most improved player over the summer, along with Hawkins. He's going to be better right now than Facey ever was. Throw last year out, Dan had a two players who shouldn't have been on the team but for Covid. Johnson would have played a ton otherwise (so would Akok). It wouldn't surprise me if he eventually becomes the starter, mostly because he's a better fit with Sanogo and Alex is a better fit with Clingan. Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't change either, but people thinking it's not a close thing are under-selling Johnson. I expect the minutes to be about even once Johnson is back to game shape.

"Generally, you can't put too much stock into the results of these scrimmages," Hurley noted. "We're all working on things, different rotations, not playing people the amount of minutes they may play. Experimentation is a big part of it. But yeah, you walked out of it, from the week itself and going into (Monday's) practice, just feeling great about those two guys in particular."

You may be right, you may be wrong. I don't put much stock in coach-speak. I don't put much stock in practice reports from "insiders" or much else other than the product on the court.

And the product on the court for Johnson last year was not pretty. It was pretty abysmal actually.

There are very, very few freshman in the country who go from not seeing a lick of meaningful playing time to being a starting-caliber player in a year. With Johnson's athleticism, he can make it happen. But expecting it seems a little presumptuous.

That being said, I'm hoping you're right and I am eating a handful of crow in a month or two because our team will be that much better for it.

Reaction Score
One thing GT proved, however, is that if you can out-rebound UConn, you have a chance. Opponents have taken note, and I am sure, so has Danny.

Reaction Score
Haven't watched Gtown play all year but is that really an 8 loss team? They seem to have some good pieces for a team doing so poorly. Or was this a classic example of a team saving their best game for us..
Yes, they re awful.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You may be right, you may be wrong. I don't put much stock in coach-speak. I don't put much stock in practice reports from "insiders" or much else other than the product on the court.

And the product on the court for Johnson last year was not pretty. It was pretty abysmal actually.

There are very, very few freshman in the country who go from not seeing a lick of meaningful playing time to being a starting-caliber player in a year. With Johnson's athleticism, he can make it happen. But expecting it seems a little presumptuous.

That being said, I'm hoping you're right and I am eating a handful of crow in a month or two because our team will be that much better for it.
I think abysmal is more than a bit strong. His initial 68 minutes weren't really worse than Hawkins' initial 68 minutes, with the exception of Auburn. Hawkins' D was unplayably bad. We needed shooting, and so Hawk was allowed to play and fix things. We had 3 guys at the 4 spot, including 2 super seniors and a junior, so Johnson's minutes mostly came as a backup 5. He wasn't well equipped for that role and he fouled too much. He's much stronger now, understands the game better and like his fellow African and former HS teammate Sanogo, hasn't been playing long. I think we will see similar rapid improvement that we have seen with Sanogo. I don't think you can judge kids like him the way you might an American who starting playing before kindergarten in terms of impact as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Karaban hit shots early... I was at the game and did a rewatch, more focused on the second half run. Where's the Karaban played poorly narrative coming from?
Tiredness in the second half may have affected his shots that’s all. Johnson is going to have to play so we can see what he brings, the question is when?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
FkgvJIPVUAE6VOV

One thing GT proved, however, is that if you can out-rebound UConn, you have a chance. Opponents have taken note, and I am sure, so has Danny.
He looks to me like he is getting hammered against bigger teams when he goes to the rim. He is
6-5 which is great but he is very thin. He is gutsy but his body (like Hawkins) seem to be taking a beating. They always look like they are getting up after hard falls. They along with Karaban need to put on more muscle next offseason if that is possible. Sampson as well. Diarra is smaller like RJ Cole but looks more physically able to handle the punishment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who really doesn't care if AJax doesn't score buckets? Ride this winning formula until it stops winning. The dude does everything else extremely well. I imagine he's fully capable of understanding what's needed from him for the team during game flow and takes his shots when he deems it for the team's benefit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom