Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I concur.

I hate that a big thing with him is how he’s going to be officiated. He’s only a cheat code if they let him.
It's always the guy that isn't playing you're enamored with. Just like Floyd last year.

Johnson will be a fine bench piece. Good defender and rebounder if he's figured out BBIQ in the off-season.

Nothing we saw last season indicated he's got the skills to compete at this level. I'm sure he's improved... but tempering expectations would be a good thing here.
Ummm, he was the starter when he was healthy. I like what Karaban brings at that position as a starter but since Samson won the job already, I don’t see why we shouldn’t expect him to hold his own in the lineup. Don’t know why a few posters have said pretty much what you’re saying. Did you guys miss that he already was chosen to start?

Reaction Score
Joey C and Diarra were both great tonight and are rightfully receiving the kudos, especially Joey C. He was crazy good during that incredible stretch to lead the comeback. But as always, I want to compliment AJ. He is such a pleasure to watch. Always doing the little things, some spectacular, some more subtle. I realize the T wasn’t great, but his Wow factor is through the roof. His passing tonight was absolutely outstanding! Cheers AJ. Another W for the Huskies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ummm, he was the starter when he was healthy. I like what Karaban brings at that position as a starter but since Samson won the job already, I don’t see why we shouldn’t expect him to hold his own in the lineup. Don’t know why a few posters have said pretty much what you’re saying. Did you guys miss that he already was chosen to start?
I’m as big a Johnson fan as we have, it’s complicated. Yes, he won the starting job over Karaban. They are different players. The reality as I see it is that Johnson complements Sanogo and Karaban complements Clingan. That’s a simplification. It wont be that simple. Alex is going to be better when he’s not playing quite so much and when he’s able to play in the matchups that favor him. Tonight wasn’t one.

We just watched Diarra and Joey C change the game. Yet Newton was terrific in the first half. So was Hawk. It’s about situational basketball. I’d guess Samson and Alex would each be the situational choice about half the time. Sometimes the situation will call for both to play. It’s a good problem to have.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing we saw last season indicated he's got the skills to compete at this level.
Maybe not last year but from what we saw this year I will heartily disagree with you.

Reaction Score
Learn me a fine point. The TV telecast had Jackson with 4 fouls because the technical counts as a PF, but the box score just lists the 3 regular fouls. Is the technical always omitted from a stat line? A guy can be fouled out while showing only 4 fouls in the box score?

Wow on our assists. Wow on only 7 turnovers. Solid shooting. I give credit to Gtown on their shot making. Credit Gtown on great board work. Wahab played an excellent game. Loved the bench energy and results obviously. Loved that so many of our guys hit a 3. Didn't like that we played Clingan far from the basket offensively, he was never in a position or play to get the type of lobs that work so well. I hate technicals and don't believe a coach technical ever helps anything. Love we made our foul shots. Merry Christmas to The Boneyard from Joey and Hasson..

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Calcaterra and Diarra changed the game. Really great in-game adjustments from Coach.

We're going to be doing a lot of rebounding drills this week.
I thought Hurley was way too late with that substitution. I get he was giving the starters a chance, but against a good team that could’ve turned ugly.

Glad we battled back and got a W tho. Escaped unharmed.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is not a well coached team. They had 8 assists tonight, so the players did a good job of creating their own shot and they fell tonight so they kept the game close. You are not going to win many games when you are dependent on individual shot creation. That said, Georgetown is big and dominated the boards tonight which also helped them.

In my opinion, this might be Hurley's best coached game since he's been at UConn. He was calm, took a T at the right time, and used his deep bench to win the game. You had to love how the fans were into the game in the second half and helped carry the team to victory!

Reaction Score
Can you name the last player that brought the enthusiasm and energy of Joey? Donny Marshall comes to mind, but I'm sure there have been others.

Reaction Score
Johnson started when Karaban was coming off his ankle injury. Not clear whether he would have started if Karaban was healthy and whether Johnson had really won that starting position. Even tonight, Karaban set screens like the elevator screen that freed up Hawkins for a 3. So many plays that don't go down as assists but are integral to the offense. The highlight reel of assists for the OOC schedule in another thread, shows pick after pick from Karaban that frees guys to receive scoring passes where other guys got assists. I do agree Johnson brings better rim protection when that is needed. I also don't understand why everybody ignores Hurley's direct statements that he wants to play BOTH Karaban AND Johnson with either Sanogo/Clingan at center. That will be during in game play, but is just another way we can make ourselves tough to deal with. Johnson will play and reduce some Karaban minutes, but the offense is flowing with what Karaban does.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
yeah, they were shooting out-of-their-minds for stretches of this game. i don't think our defense was really the issue.

they also pushed the ball every single chance they had and got some good looks in transition. feel like they might have tired their own guys out though, because we went on runs to close both halves.
Georgetown played very hard for the first 30 minutes. Just when their legs were getting weak DH sent in the second line fresh and rested and they just turned the game around. Georgetown started missing all those long-range shots and got harried by the fresh team who sped up the game and pressed them.
Good strategy and this game will give the staff some things to think about. Really happy that this team would not quit and the coaching staff got the right combinations. Thank you Joey Cali!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I'd kind of like to hear how Walton would have called the Joey C stretch when he was doing everything imaginable.

There are times you are up, there are times you are down. Then there is Joey California time. "There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge."
Easy...

[Joey C goes off...]

Bill Walton - "And the Connecticut River actually starts as a number of lakes in New Hampshire. Weird, right? Why isn't it the New Hampshire River? And since...oh, that was cool...since we're in Connecticut, we should get some pizza."

Reaction Score
Easy...

[Joey C goes off...]

Bill Walton - "And the Connecticut River actually starts as a number of lakes in New Hampshire. Weird, right? Why isn't it the New Hampshire River? And since...oh, that was cool...since we're in Connecticut, we should get some pizza."
Spot on

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Samson will definitely play. This wasn't the first time Karaban looked outmatched defensively. He's a freshman, he'll get better and will continue to get minutes this year but tonight we could've used Samson badly. Luckily we went small and they couldn't take advantage of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom