Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just find it sad that a coach can't call to say "congrats" to a kid anymore, especially a young kid. Sign of the times I guess.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sounds like a no-harm situation. The violation carries no consequences, at least from what I read, and Geno got to make a connection with Davis, who obviously thinks highly of him and could be in a UCONN uni some day. If she is good enough to play for UCONN she has obviously made up her mind already where she wants to play.

Geno does ok in recruiting. Does anyone really think he needs to try to swoop in on a 13 year old who he has never even seen play basketball?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some very good points and finally I got a computer and WiFi to catch up on the past two weeks. It appears to me its all about jealously and hate, because on the fact that other coaches have camps where potential recruits attend and are coached by coaches and players. IMO this is similar to a Hate Crime. So whats the big deal unless its UConn and Geno haters. Prejudice Jealously and Hate jmo folks. Why because Geno is the King of WCBB, a dominating influence and most popluar figure head in the womens game, and he's a male winner in a womens sport. Yes there still is the dislike and hate since 1995. I am at a point where I believe the person who called Geno out on such a ridiculous point along with the NCAA officials who sent the secondary violation should be made public so we all will know. This reminds me of the Tenn hate crime which was an NCAA violation with a similar result. Its this kind of stuff that angers me to no end. Geno is building the womens game. Yes he is the coach of the most dominating team in the history of the game along with winning teams on a national and international level. I am fed up with these bad attitudes because of the butt kicking his teams put on opponents and because he is now the face of WCBB. Lets get it out in the open and so we all know where its coming from. Yes I'm angry. This should not be tolerated by the NCAA. The NCAA should make it clear to the person who questioned Genos act and find out the real reason behind it. Let me end with this. How many coaches talk to girls in junior high and below? How many offer then scollies? Whats the difference?

Reaction Score
I can think of a lot of things in our society that should be an "offense" but if they aren't on the books, someone who commits the so-called "offense" can't be prosecuted. Here, unless there is something in the NCAA rules we've all missed, Geno Auriemma did not violate any NCAA written by-laws. Maybe, the NCAA should revise their rules to include such a situation, but that's another story. And I think it's unfair to accuse Boneyarders of being one-sided. Sure, we're sensitive to injustices against our great coach, but I suspect few on this board would have gone overboard had another coach done exactly the same thing and it was made clear that it didn't violate the NCAA written by-laws.
They have enough retroactive rules now. Don't get them started on more.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some very good points and finally I got a computer and WiFi to catch up on the past two weeks. It appears to me its all about jealously and hate, because on the fact that other coaches have camps where potential recruits attend and are coached by coaches and players. IMO this is similar to a Hate Crime. So whats the big deal unless its UConn and Geno haters. Prejudice Jealously and Hate jmo folks. Why because Geno is the King of WCBB, a dominating influence and most popluar figure head in the womens game, and he's a male winner in a womens sport. Yes there still is the dislike and hate since 1995. I am at a point where I believe the person who called Geno out on such a ridiculous point along with the NCAA officials who sent the secondary violation should be made public so we all will know. This reminds me of the Tenn hate crime which was an NCAA violation with a similar result. Its this kind of stuff that angers me to no end. Geno is building the womens game. Yes he is the coach of the most dominating team in the history of the game along with winning teams on a national and international level. I am fed up with these bad attitudes because of the butt kicking his teams put on opponents and because he is now the face of WCBB. Lets get it out in the open and so we all know where its coming from. Yes I'm angry. This should not be tolerated by the NCAA. The NCAA should make it clear to the person who questioned Genos act and find out the real reason behind it. Let me end with this. How many coaches talk to girls in junior high and below? How many offer then scollies? Whats the difference?
Or Tony just maybe Mike Emmert still has an axe to grind against UCONN.

Reaction Score
I don't think with the teams Geno assembles, and the way they train, he needs to tell them to turn it on...all he can do is take them out...the championship against ND looked like a group of women answering a statement made to one of them at an awards ceremony in the most poignant way possible...
Can you refresh my memory as to what was said and by whom ?

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
From Delmarva Now:
"The funny thing is that once you look past how the NCAA has again proven how utterly out of touch with reality it is, the thing that happens is Auriemma comes out of this looking like what he is — the best coach in women’s basketball.

In fact, he looks like the only sane person in the whole deal.

Why?

Let me ask you this: If your daughter was going to play college basketball, would you rather she play for the coach who took the time to call and congratulate a kid on a pretty impressive week? Or some other cowardly individual who reported the “violation” anonymously and will never have the guts to come forward and admit it?

Of course, everyone out there already wants to play for Geno anyway.

Just ask Mo’Ne Davis."

Reaction Score
Can you refresh my memory as to what was said and by whom ?
As I recall, Breanna was at an award ceremony in which she was the award recipient. Muffet McGraw was there with several of her players that were also potentially being honored. She shepherded them into the front row of the ceremony along with her assistant coaches, and when Breanna went to the podium to receive the award, the Notre Dame contingent refused to applaud and engaged in a silent stare-down in an apparent attempt to unnerve and intimidate Breanna. There is a long thread here on the event. It was extremely distasteful, and it left me at least doing a slow boil. When the NC game rolled around, the UCONN team pounded the Irish with a breathtaking ferocity that allowed me to unclench from Muffet's antics and poor sportsmanship. My surmise is that members of the team may have felt the same way even though they are too self-controlled to vent their feelings in public, and threw themselves passionately into the best possible response.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think one of the issues is that young players are making verbal commitments at such a young age now, like this headline from ESPN: "Seventh-grader commits to NC State"

This young girl is the same age as Davis, so it is not as if 13 year old girls are not already in the decision making process of choosing a university.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
S Does anyone really think he needs to try to swoop in on a 13 year old who he has never even seen play basketball?
Obviously somebody in the NCAA does.

Reaction Score
As I recall, Breanna was at an award ceremony in which she was the award recipient. Muffet McGraw was there with several of her players that were also potentially being honored. She shepherded them into the front row of the ceremony along with her assistant coaches, and when Breanna went to the podium to receive the award, the Notre Dame contingent refused to applaud and engaged in a silent stare-down in an apparent attempt to unnerve and intimidate Breanna. There is a long thread here on the event. It was extremely distasteful, and it left me at least doing a slow boil. When the NC game rolled around, the UCONN team pounded the Irish with a breathtaking ferocity that allowed me to unclench from Muffet's antics and poor sportsmanship. My surmise is that members of the team may have felt the same way even though they are too self-controlled to vent their feelings in public, and threw themselves passionately into the best possible response.
Natalie Achonwa, who was injured for the FF, did clap. I thought that was classy, especially when it went against the grain of her teammates & coaches. I will always root for her.

To be fair, there were subsequent reports that the ND players and coaches already knew who won the award, and had already had the opportunity to congratulate Stewie in advance. I still think it was rude to snub Stewie that way in the ceremony, but the rest of WBB sees it as no big deal (or doesn't care, or isn't aware).

Reaction Score
Natalie Achonwa, who was injured for the FF, did clap. I thought that was classy, especially when it went against the grain of her teammates & coaches. I will always root for her.

To be fair, there were subsequent reports that the ND players and coaches already knew who won the award, and had already had the opportunity to congratulate Stewie in advance. I still think it was rude to snub Stewie that way in the ceremony, but the rest of WBB sees it as no big deal (or doesn't care, or isn't aware).
Was it Achonwa...I thought it was Niele Ivy...maybe it was both that clapped. I like Achonwa, regardless, and wish her the best at the next level.

The whole affair was a sophomoric attempt at mind games, very common among athletes at the high school level, but noteworthy primarily because of the head coach's participation. If Muffet's purpose was to intimidate Breanna, it certainly backfired...I've never seen her or her teammates more intensely focused for a whole game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey definitely clapped. Whitney Holloway clapped. Michaela Mabrey clapped. Most of the players hands are obscured so you can't tell.

The footage is still on Jim Fuller's tout page. http://www.tout.com/m/bpjy08?ref=twf5xc8a

Muffet didn't clap? Sure. "Notre Dame contingent refused to applaud and engaged in a silent stare-down." That's a bit of an embellishment and unfair to those who did show respect with their applause.

Reaction Score
I s
Niele Ivey definitely clapped. Whitney Holloway clapped. Michaela Mabrey clapped. Most of the players hands are obscured so you can't tell.

The footage is still on Jim Fuller's tout page. http://www.tout.com/m/bpjy08?ref=twf5xc8a

Muffet didn't clap? Sure. "Notre Dame contingent refused to applaud and engaged in a silent stare-down." That's a bit of an embellishment and unfair to those who did show respect with their applause.
aw this when first posted but now seeing again has completely caused me to lose all respect for a coach I once admired.

Reaction Score

Sorry, the footage you showed displays Muffet and most of the team doing exactly what I suggested...spin it how you will...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sorry, the footage you showed displays Muffet and most of the team doing exactly what I suggested...spin it how you will...

I guess our eyes are seeing different things. I don't see a whole team "refusing to applaud"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess our eyes are seeing different things. I don't see a whole team "refusing to applaud"
We are clearly seeing different things, and there were some accounts from those in the room as I recall which may account for some of the disparity in our perspective. However, you just cannot explain a high profile head coach from a conference school failing to applaud the award. That, my friend, is simply poor sportsmanship...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We are clearly seeing different things, and there were some accounts from those in the room as I recall which may account for some of the disparity in our perspective. However, you just cannot explain a high profile head coach from a conference school failing to applaud the award. That, my friend, is simply poor sportsmanship...

It was definitely poor sportsmanship by Coach McGraw and by Beth Cunningham, who you can also see not clapping. I can't dispute that.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller, Geno with a parting shot....

"It is like getting called into the prinicpal's office and going 'look, don't do that again or I am going to call your mother' because they know it is the dumbest thing ever and it is so laughable it makes everything look silly," Auriemma said. "There are 357 Division I schools or something like that and one person has a problem with me calling that kid. If there was a problem and it was really bad there would have been 300 schools who would have turned me in so it was just one person with a bug up their butt. What are you going to do? That is the world we live in."

LINK

Reaction Score
If some jealous bitter coach wants to report it, fine, but why does the NCAA have to penalize UConn for it? If I were UConn I would appeal it just on principle. This time an application of a rule was based on one person's idea that Davis had some special status. Next time such a subjective determination of a rules violation might not result in minor penalties. UConn is now considered a repeat offender of recruiting rules.

G

genosguy

If some jealous bitter coach wants to report it, fine, but why does the NCAA have to penalize UConn for it? If I were UConn I would appeal it just on principle. This time an application of a rule was based on one person's idea that Davis had some special status. Next time such a subjective determination of a rules violation might not result in minor penalties. UConn is now considered a repeat offender of recruiting rules.
If the NCAA actually called a violation of NCAA rules--then this calls for a class action and defamation of character, slander suit against the NCAA by Uconn--and the person responsible for the complaint MUST be identified, no more ghestopo hiding in the dark --if you have a complaint state if with your name attached for the world to know. In this the NCAA is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

While I like the spirit of your thought, the reality of the world says to let it go. UConn is not penalized in this situation other than some sort of reprimand. UConn will not win an appeal because the NCAA will not say they were wrong. All an appeal would do is make the NCAA more apt to pick on UConn with greater vitriol the next time. We won in the court of common sense and public opinion. Let's feel free to itchbay as much as we want to among ourselves and on ESPN.com etc, but UConn should just let it go. There's nothing to gain.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA actually called a violation of NCAA rules--then this calls for a class action and defamation of character, slander suit against the NCAA by Uconn--and the person responsible for the complaint MUST be identified, no more ghestopo hiding in the dark --if you have a complaint state if with your name attached for the world to know. In this the NCAA is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
The whole thing is B.S. Mo'ne was determined to be a celebrity of some sort I guess so a rule which was written to protect prospective student athletes suddenly now applies to anyone that some random clerk in the NCAA deemed to be of an elevated status above regular 12 year olds. Just typing that seems pretty ridiculous, but it is what it is. How do we know if eventually UConn breaks some other rule that is partly subjective and has to pay the price of real penalties/sanctions? Maybe one day the NCAA decides to hammer UConn for "repeated" recruiting violations. Who knows. That's exactly the problem: no one knows what the NCAA will do next. My concern is right now the NCAA is cop, judge, jury, and executioner, and it seems unless you're a P5 team the NCAA can do what they want and you just have to take it with no recourse. Like I said way at the beginning of this thread, this stinks of quid pro quo stemming from Shabazz speaking out against the NCAA after the championship on the grandest stage of all - no real penalty but an opportunity to ding the school nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom