Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would challenge the ruling of the NCAA on the basis of 13.1.3.1.4. Geno did not make a phone call to either Mo'ne nor her parents nor her representatives. He made it to LL and to ESPN. It was their folks who noted that she was standing there and then handed the phone to her asking him if he wanted to wish her his best directly.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Mike & Mike on ESPN having a field day about this complaint and what's wrong with college athletics.

Reaction Score
Okay, going way out on the limb of the giant conspiracy theory tree. Can a complaint be filled by a booster of another program? One that is known to have such hatred for all things UConn and Geno in particular? One that bleeds orange and was a key contributor to the prior complaint that dragged several Boneyarders into the fray? One whose first or last name starts with an M or a C.

You know.... could it be.......SATAN? <doing my best Church Lady impression>

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
geneticrex said:
Since this is a family forum, I'll refrain from commenting.
meh- just use an assortment of asterisks and dashes.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
There is a thread about this on The Summitt. Anyone have access to that who can provide the general gist of the comments?

Reaction Score
Whoever it was ..... guilty of being blithering idiots..... You would figure after the well publicized assault by the Lady Vols which didn't result in anything, essentially, and the fallout from that, you would figure that peeps would have to have the goods to bring to the table..... It obviously is not a violation......

I think this must have come from a lesser program..... not TN ND MD etc..... because the intelligence quotient had to be low

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
My dad used to have a saying in situations such as this and I'm sure it wasn't his originally: it takes a bigger man to admit he's wrong.

I find it odd that the NCAA ruled this as a secondary violation using this girl's celebrity as basis for their decision.

I doubt they will backtrack at this point especially given all the attention.

And I believe the finger pointing and speculation is harmful because it's based on no evidence whatsoever, only conjecture. Sure as loyal fans we are upset and angry, but in responding in this manner, It kind of makes us look petty IMHO.

That said I do hope we find out who complained....

It's clear to everyone but some diehard UConn haters that the complaint is petty. The biggest issue I have with the complaint is that Geno's phone call was a very public event. If he was attempting something shady, why do it in front of everyone? The fact that Geno checked with UConn compliance first covers Geno's butt, but not UConn's, as the compliance office apparently gave Geno somewhat bad advice.

But the reaction of some posters on this thread is not very collegial, as pointed out by RadyLady. It's one thing to accuse certain coaches of being small-minded and petty by suggesting that they are responsible for the complaint, but after at least 4 people have posted information released by UConn press sources indicating that the neither Notre Dame nor any ACC teams made the accusation, it is at least irresponsible to continue to suggest that the complaint originated in South Bend. And for that matter, any suggestions of the source of the complaint seem mean-spirited. It's only a matter of time before the identity of the complainant is revealed, but until that time, accusing suspects seems reminiscent of a witch hunt.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm confused about something. Perhaps someone (The NCAA?) can explain it to me. Every year many (If not most), popular Div. I women's (& men's) Basketball coaches hold Basketball "Camps" for young people (ages 6-18). Why is something like this not viewed as an illegal (Or at least unfair advantage) contact with a potential recruit as they are frequently affiliated with the Universities? Is it because it is a "paid" enterprise?

Reaction Score
maybe i spoke too soon.... i read the rule seemed OK to me.... now someone in NCAA is saying it is an inadvertant violation.... this true?

Reaction Score
Agreeing with Jacobs is somewhat painful but in this case I wish he would have used even more of his punishing style.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A couple of things or so;

1) the horde needs to stop saying Geno called Mo'ne, he didn't

2) see Jeff Jacobs account which is as I remember it.

"A friend of Auriemma's had been contacted by the Philadelphia 76ers. They thought it was a nice touch for Auriemma to call Mo'ne, because she loves hoops so much. The Little League communications office got a hold of Auriemma and, at first, he was going to relay a message to her. The idea was cleared by the UConn compliance office and, hey, from this point I would probably argue nothing should be cleared until those constipated little souls in the NCAA office OK it first. Still, Davis is going into the eighth grade and you are not considered a prospective athlete until the ninth grade. When Auriemma called the Little League offices in Williamsport, Davis happened to be in the room and she was handed the phone."

3) read rule 13.1.3.1.4 and you will see the violation occurs when you call the kid, the parents, or their representative. Geno didn't, he called the coverage team for ESPN and LL.

4) under the ruling as the NCAA made it the are probably 10,000 technical violations annually

5) the NCAA has probably just shot themselves in the foot at getting out of season coverage for their premier women's athletic program. Why would any coach run the risk of ever giving any young person encouragement ever again.

Reaction Score
I'm confused about something. Perhaps someone (The NCAA?) can explain it to me. Every year many (If not most), popular Div. I women's (& men's) Basketball coaches hold Basketball "Camps" for young people (ages 6-18). Why is something like this not viewed as an illegal (Or at least unfair advantage) contact with a potential recruit as they are frequently affiliated with the Universities? Is it because it is a "paid" enterprise?

Football and even soccer do the same thing all the way down to the DIII level. A couple of folks on sports radio have brought up this exact point and wonder if the NCAA is suddenly going to make this an issue, then all of these camps and their money is under threat. But, I digress, the major difference is it UConn and someone, Emmett, cough, cough, has issues with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
We should all thank the women's basketball gods that we are no longer having one of those dull, boring, nothing's happening off-seasons. And to be given such a slam dunk opportunity to express our thoroughly justified righteous indignation ... well, it's a gift that keeps on giving.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Okay here is the path I decided on. Let us flood the NCAA with emails informing them of public opinion of this action.

I have posted this on Facebook, please consider taking action and sharing it with your Facebook friends.

The please consider burying the NCAA and its compliance office under a deluge of emails protesting their handling of Geno Auriemma's gracious phone all to the coverage team at the LL World Series to give encouragement to Mo'ne Davis.
Write your own note or send the following.

To the compliance office of the NCAA,

Your recent finding of Geno Auriemma guilty of a Secondary Recruiting Violation is beyond the absurd and inconsistent even with your own rules. Mo'ne Davis is not in high school and Coach Auriemma did not call her, her parents, or her representative as per rule 13.1.3.1.4 but rather called the coverage team for LL after checking with the Connecticut Compliance Office. At the suggestion of the coverage team who mentioned Mo'ne was present the phone was handed to her. Coach Auriemma encouraged her and the team in their play and no, nada, zilch basketball or recruiting was involved. It is inane actions like this that has led the NCAA to become a laughingstock today under the leadership of Mike Emmert.

There was nothing hidden in any of Coach Auriemma's action since they occurred openly on national LL coverage. If the NCAA wants to begin regaining any credibility the first step is to follow your own rules and to make public apology to a coach who was only encouraging a kid to chase her dreams the very work the NCAA should be doing.

Thank you,
(Insert your name)

https://www.facebook.com/ncaastudents

Let's flood the NCAA and let them know how inane we consider their action.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Football and even soccer do the same thing all the way down to the DIII level. A couple of folks on sports radio have brought up this exact point and wonder if the NCAA is suddenly going to make this an issue, then all of these camps and their money is under threat. But, I digress, the major difference is it UConn and someone, Emmett, cough, cough, has issues with the Huskies.

That's sounds right. Further, if Mo'ne Davis appears on somebody's "Watch List" of upcoming talent (Bluestar etc,..) then I could see a possible problem. But until she hit the limelight at the LLWS very few outside of her Little League ever heard of her. Let alone anyone knowing if she's any good at basketball. The whole thing is insane.

Reaction Score
It's clear to everyone but some diehard UConn haters that the complaint is petty. The biggest issue I have with the complaint is that Geno's phone call was a very public event. If he was attempting something shady, why do it in front of everyone? The fact that Geno checked with UConn compliance first covers Geno's butt, but not UConn's, as the compliance office apparently gave Geno somewhat bad advice.

But the reaction of some posters on this thread is not very collegial, as pointed out by RadyLady. It's one thing to accuse certain coaches of being small-minded and petty by suggesting that they are responsible for the complaint, but after at least 4 people have posted information released by UConn press sources indicating that the neither Notre Dame nor any ACC teams made the accusation, it is at least irresponsible to continue to suggest that the complaint originated in South Bend. And for that matter, any suggestions of the source of the complaint seem mean-spirited. It's only a matter of time before the identity of the complainant is revealed, but until that time, accusing suspects seems reminiscent of a witch hunt.
Which is why I never speculate.....

I'll wait till the offending -wipe is outed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom