Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing that fascinates me is that this wasn't a violation. It seems like when UConn is involved, the NCAA just makes up offenses on the fly. That organization is an abomination.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The thing that fascinates me is that this wasn't a violation. It seems like when UConn is involved, the NCAA just makes up offenses on the fly. That organization is an abomination.

Exactly. The NCAA changed the interpretation of the rule to suit their agenda.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many schools actually reported the violation to the NCAA. Some adults seriously need to get hobbies.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I prefer to call them what they really are: bullies. Bet this wouldn't be a violation anywhere else. It feels a lot like getting stopped by the local sheriff in some backwoods South Carolina town and the cop sees you have a Connecticut driver's license and knows it's his chance to screw with a Yankee ("well, well, well loooooky what we have here Cletus!") and do what he wants because there's nothing you can or will do about it. And Muffet says Geno doesn't have class...

Reaction Score
From what I understand Geno did not contact Davis, so I'm not sure how he broke the rule as it is written. All he did was call into the Little League facility being used by ESPN. He was probably just going to record a message/do an interview about Davis, but it just so happened that Davis was in the building so TV guys being TV guys probably thought hey let's just connect the young lady with the coach she admires because that's a storyline that makes for good TV. Perhaps the NCAA backtracks at some point caving under the bad publicity and issues a waiver to UConn granting them an exception to "the rule."

Reaction Score
When I heard that Geno contacted her I was surprised.

Get the story right, will you? Geno didn't contact her - the Philadelphia 76ers did. Their intentions were the best, I'm sure, but they got their pal Geno into this brouhaha.

In Russian there is no single word for "disservice" - instead they use the idiom "a bear's favor," from a story by the Russian classic fabulist, Krylov. Think Aesop or La Fontaine.

It seems a certain Russian hunter's best friend was a bear he met in the woods. They were inseparable buddies. One morning the bear happened to wake up before the hunter and noticed a fly was walking on his pal's forehead. Rather than waking up his sleeping friend, the bear picked up a 10 kilo rock and brought it down square on the guy's forehead with all the force he could muster.

I wonder if the bear was wearing a Philadelphia tee shirt?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NCAA president owes the young girl an apology, and should do it on national TV.
Please do not hold your breath for that. Still love Shabazz for telling him off on national TV right to his face. Of course I suspect that's largely why this is suddenly a violation, but that moment was worth every penny.

Reaction Score
Please do not hold your breath for that. Still love Shabazz for telling him off on national TV right to his face. Of course I suspect that's largely why this is suddenly a violation, but that moment was worth every penny.
I'm not an NCAA sympathizer, but I think the reason this is suddenly a violation is because a school filed a complaint, not because the NCAA was looking for something to nail UCONN with. The NCAA wasn't going to do anything without being put in a position of having to respond to a complaint. And they're still probably not going to do anything.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Let's flood the NCAA and let them know how inane we consider their action.[/QUOTE]

Ice, I'm ready to go, but what's the link for the Compliance Office. I just looked on line. Anybody?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Is it a stretch to think that Mark Emmert himself may have nudged the NCAA ruling on UConn?

He was once the UConn Chancellor and he mismanaged massive campus constuction before leaving in a getaway car for LSU. Sorry, I don't do links but an article in USA Today, April 3, entitled "Digging into the past of NCAA President" is a good source to access to learn of his past record of incompetence and malfeasance. Check it out. Or others.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Let's flood the NCAA and let them know how inane we consider their action.

Ice, I'm ready to go, but what's the link for the Compliance Office. I just looked on line. Anybody?[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're big on soliciting feedback

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not an NCAA sympathizer, but I think the reason this is suddenly a violation is because a school filed a complaint, not because the NCAA was looking for something to nail UCONN with. The NCAA wasn't going to do anything without being put in a position of having to respond to a complaint. And they're still probably not going to do anything.
Completely agree with this, but you would think someone in the compliance office at the NCAA would have the sense of self-preservation, if not common sense and decency to look at this and say 'This is ridiculously trivial and a waste of our time. Case dismissed.' Instead said compliance office tied themselves in knots trying to come up with a sound reason to classify this as a 'secondary violation' falling back on 'while she is young and this was completely unrelated to recruiting, she is not a typical 13 year old and therefore we are invoking rule ____' to be able to classify this as a violation.' That took some hard work and a equally petty attitude toward the situation as the original complaint displayed.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with this, but you would think someone in the compliance office at the NCAA would have the sense of self-preservation, if not common sense and decency to look at this and say 'This is ridiculously trivial and a waste of our time. Case dismissed.' Instead said compliance office tied themselves in knots trying to come up with a sound reason to classify this as a 'secondary violation' falling back on 'while she is young and this was completely unrelated to recruiting, she is not a typical 13 year old and therefore we are invoking rule ____' to be able to classify this as a violation.' That took some hard work and a equally petty attitude toward the situation as the original complaint displayed.
That's kind of my point. If UConn was UNC, it is my belief that the NCAA would have bent over backwards to find some loophole where they could justify why it wasn't a violation ergo they have it out for UConn. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but if it were ANY OTHER SCHOOL I feel like they would issue a statement saying the complainant incorrectly interpreted the rule and that the NCAA has determined no violations occurred and case closed.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Who are they going to kick around when Geno retires in 2 years after winning his 11th NC game and rides off in the CT sunset?.....

NOBODY rides off into a Ct. sunset. Hollywood would never go for it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Except John A. reported a high-level source told him it wasn't ND, Duke or MD.

whew.gif

Thank goodness........ the scores have been bad enough in the series the past 7 years..... I definitely didnt want to see a 127-38 beatdown this December :(

Reaction Score
I can see how the NCAA could, in good faith, interpret Mo'ne to be a "prospective student athlete", since she has basically already offered a verbal to UCONN. And I guess how I can see where they might rule a secondary violation with no consequences, just to send a message to the world like, "OK, let's not push it - we might be getting a little borderline here."

What I CAN'T see is how they can seriously spend any time on this trivia while they have repeatedly been made aware that big-time revenue-producing UNC student athletes got passing grades in non-existent African Studies classes, a high-profile UNC hoop alum says publicly that his head coach was fully aware and complicit, and they do NOTHING.

Seriously?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA