Geno on Amari | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on Amari

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If I were Amari, should I feel happy for this comment?
Nothing Geno says about the players in public are things he hasn’t said to them directly.

There are a lot of former Huskies, including some of the greats, that thought practice wasn’t important. They learned, and so will Amari.

Reaction Score
Last year some players were perceived to be reluctant to take shots. It doesn’t appear that Amari will ever be accused of being afraid or reluctant to shoot.

Don’t forget what one of the male practice players said about Amari last week. To paraphrase, he said Amari had one of the smoothest shots on the team. She hit a couple tonight that fit the bill.

I expect Amari to make a huge sophomore leap, and be the starting post for the next 3 years. :rolleyes:
I hope Geno gives Amari and Piath more PT going forward. They seem to be a threat with the hi-low, or Amari could just take the shot.

Reaction Score
Geno has been very consistent over the years. He tells recruits that he is going to challenge them to become the best possible version of themselves. He is going to demand 100% mental and physical effort. Playing time is his primary reward. The kids have to earn it. That’s how the program sustains a culture of excellence. Nothing is given. Everything is earned. I’m looking forward to the best Amari possible over the next few years. Best aspect of being a UCONN fan- watching these wonderful talented kids become champions in the truest sense of the word.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you listen to Geno’s post game interview he said he’d like to give Piath and Amari more playing time but that the offense runs more smoothly when the starters play together for long stretches. With the constant line up changes, he’s got to give the starters more time together so they can gel offensively.

A lot of fans think of the players as interchangeable but they aren’t. The team needs consistency going into the post season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno has been very consistent over the years. He tells recruits that he is going to challenge them to become the best possible version of themselves. He is going to demand 100% mental and physical effort. Playing time is his primary reward. The kids have to earn it. That’s how the program sustains a culture of excellence. Nothing is given. Everything is earned. I’m looking forward to the best Amari possible over the next few years. Best aspect of being a UCONN fan- watching these wonderful talented kids become champions in the truest sense of the word.
We’ll said!! Sometimes we forget that We look at our players as fans. While Geno views them from a coach’s perspective. He has always maintained that he won’t put any players on the court until they’re ready.

Sometimes it’s a hard pill to swallow watching players sit on the bench throughout the season. We al want to see them play more. Just yesterday Geno said in his post games presser that Amari is not a good practice player.

That does not equate to getting any minutes. She wants to play. He needs her to play. They’ll meet somewhere in the middle next year. As a fan, I sure liked what little I saw yesterday, but I’m keeping in mind the level of competition it was against.

Any UConn fan knows what Geno’s philosophy has been for players getting minutes. It doesn’t appear that Amari has (in Geno’s opinion) earned any minutes, because he really could have used her these last two weeks when his rotation was down to 6 players.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I am really glad to hear so many have joined the 'Amari Fan Club'. I hope we have heard the last of some calling her a project. And with some of you, we are expecting a significant sophomore jump. An off season of building up her strength, understanding the defense and she will be the perfect replacement for Liv in the high post offense and in a rotation with Dorka and Aaliyah. I don't know if Piath has the time to develop some offensive arsenal, but she seems to understand the defense better than Amari right now.

Reaction Score
If you listen to Geno’s post game interview he said he’d like to give Piath and Amari more playing time but that the offense runs more smoothly when the starters play together for long stretches. With the constant line up changes, he’s got to give the starters more time together so they can gel offensively.

A lot of fans think of the players as interchangeable but they aren’t. The team needs consistency going into the post season.

I don‘t think you can focus on 5 for the very reason of the lineup changes. There has to be a rotation of 7 maybe 8. Just look at the injuries this year and you also need to plan for foul trouble. There is a very good player on this team that will not start when Paige returns. Those first 2-3 off the bench have to be accounted for in order to gel also.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am really glad to hear so many have joined the 'Amari Fan Club'. I hope we have heard the last of some calling her a project. And with some of you, we are expecting a significant sophomore jump. An off season of building up her strength, understanding the defense and she will be the perfect replacement for Liv in the high post offense and in a rotation with Dorka and Aaliyah. I don't know if Piath has the time to develop some offensive arsenal, but she seems to understand the defense better than Amari right now.
I am and have been an Amari fan since the day she committed. I’ll wait until she’s done playing at UConn before I arrive at a final conclusion of the level of her success.

Carnac

Reaction Score
When Ono first got to UConn Geno said she did not like to practice, that she played better in games.
It took Gabby Williams a year to get acclimated and understand what she was supposed to do. She said as much in an interview at the beginning of her sophomore year. Look how she turned out.

Reaction Score
Those who transferred out will regret the opportunity this crazy year presented. There was so much opportunity to make an impression.

Reaction Score

Absolutely Nan, and all of a sudden UConn has a very deep bench. Let’s hope Paige gets at least some pt in the next couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
About Shea: “He reprimanded her for bringing no energy to scrimmages, and even benched her for the first half of a game. "If you saw her in practice that first year," says associate head coach Chris Dailey, "you'd wonder why we played her."

Full article here: Inside game
WOW, Shea Ralph! Thank you PuppyLove for sharing this article. Reading it years ago when it was first published gave me an idea of who Shea was. Reading it today reminds me that her dedication, determination, drive, and passion about priorities, even anorexia, make her the strong leader she is.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don‘t think you can focus on 5 for the very reason of the lineup changes. There has to be a rotation of 7 maybe 8. Just look at the injuries this year and you also need to plan for foul trouble. There is a very good player on this team that will not start when Paige returns. Those first 2-3 off the bench have to be accounted for in order to gel also.
Instead of starters, I should have said key players, meaning the top 6-7.

The end of the bench gets in when there’s a comfortable lead. If you pull a key player out, just to give someone more playing time, the offense will be choppy. As we’ve seen in the past several games, the Huskies tend to start slow then becomes a steamroller when they click. They won’t click if you keep replacing parts.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I am and have been an Amari fan since the day she committed. I’ll wait until she’s done playing at UConn before I arrive at a final conclusion of the level of her success.
Of course. Wouldn't anyone?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In the chat during halftime, I made the comment that Geno should have Amari and Piath start the 2nd half, with the :rolleyes: emoji at the end. I meant my "suggestion" as sarcasm but I guess it wasn't taken that way. After the way they played last night, I would edit my statement to "the 4th quarter" and forget the emoji. :)

Reaction Score
Piath tries very hard and is learning but Amari has far more basketball talent--once she gets out of Geno's doghouse, largely for her uninspiring practices, Amari will light it up--she has a great skillset. I hope she gets more opportunity to show it.
I think they're about equally talented, Amari is WAY ahead in her basketball skills, probably because Piath started basketball at such a late age.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I can't find the "right" picture, but there is on one on the bench who is more engaged in cheering for the team than Amari. I remember in the Tennessee game, when UCONN was making one of its' patented runs, they showed the bench and Amari was letting out a primal scream.

She's so enthusiastic and engaged - Geno said in one interview that after games, they will review game tape, and if the see bench players disinterested or unengaged, it will be a problem for future PT. That is NOT a problem for Amari. And of course it's great seeing her get in and actually do things. She will get it. Her future is very bright.

620066237a053.image.jpg

I just want to add - for all the folks who say Amari and Piath should get even more PT, I disagree 100%. This is a team who has had 9 different starting lineups and it may be 10 when Paige gets back and Geno reconfigures again. This is NOT a team that has had literally ANY consistency on player availability. With the BET and NCAA's coming up, there needs to be as much PT as possible for the core 8 or 9.

About 7 minutes in Q1 and 5 in Q2 was pretty ragged against bottom dweller Xavier. Until the core group can string together longer stretches of excellent play, Piath and Amari won't see the floor until "X" minutes in to Q4, and nor should they. They will not be relied on to win a NC or BET championship this season. Next year, though, watch out!

Reaction Score
Really? If a Piath type is down low, why can't Amari be the PF using her skills. I doubt we'll ever see her as a down low banger.
With her height, DeBerry will have an advantage most games in the post. No reason she can't score from all over.

Reaction Score

I agree Nan. I think in the end what the team needs for a major tournament run is cohesion, the parts becoming the whole. And I think they have the precursor to that cohesion in their sense of unity. You can see it when they huddle for time outs and everybody has their arms wrapped around each other. Carrying that over onto the court will be the next step.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno is preparing Amari for when the team needs her.
I don't believe that anyone can predict with certainty whether UConn will need her going forward this season or not.
There could be injuries, fouls or match up situations where she or Piath will be called upon to play.
They are full members of the team and they belong to it as much as anyone else does.

Those who transferred out will regret the opportunity this crazy year presented. There was so much opportunity to make an impression.
Perhaps or more likely, perhaps not.
Usually there's a perceived problem with the coach or coaching style that allows a player to have closure once they decide to leave.
I doubt that Mir or Saylor will have any regret about transferring whether UConn wins a NC soon or not.
I'll bet that they contemplated the possibilities and weighed their options carefully before each decided to transfer.
If they weren't happy being on the team then they wouldn't be happy if they had stayed, no matter what the seasonal outcomes may be.
Their open spots on the roster are UConn's cross to bear.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Of course. Wouldn't anyone?
No. Some want to judge her NOW on the small number of times they've seen her play, forgetting that Geno has said a thousand times that it takes "most" freshmen a full year before they understand his system, and can "successfully" function in it. Look how quickly Maya Moore came in and adapted to it. on the other end of the spectrum, it took Saniya Chong 3yers before she was able to become a starter. It took her that long before she was able to "consistently" keep her man in front of her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom