Geno on Amari | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on Amari

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
No. Some want to judge her NOW on the small number of times they've seen her play, forgetting that Geno has said a thousand times that it takes "most" freshmen a full year before they understand his system, and can "successfully" function in it. Look how quickly Maya Moore came in and adapted to it. on the other end of the spectrum, it took Saniya Chong 3yers before she was able to become a starter. It took her that long before she was able to "consistently" keep her man in front of her.
Yup. Maya and Paige are unicorns. Saniya is one reason I don't have any hair. (Although she did finally get the ball to Pulido :)) Me thinks you may be judging 'some' harshly. You may be confusing enthusiasm with judging.
I for one am excited for the potential that I see and, as I posted, feel that with a good off season she could fill a role next year. It's obvious that at the end of the recent game, at first Geno's orders were to get the ball to Amari and have her get it in to Piath. Amari threw 4 consecutive good passes into Piath resulting in 3 baskets. Then he moved her outside and let her bomb away. She's got a nice stroke and went 2 for 4 and 1 for 3 from 3. She's not timid with the ball like many freshman with limited minutes. All in all it's a good job in a limited sample and I am looking forward to more.

Reaction Score
Amari to Geno...lol

I wonder if Azzi was/is aware of this epic AI rant, considering they shot that Tik Tok commercial together…

Or if any current UConn players are similarly cognizant?

As a fellow Georgetown alumn (well, AI didn’t graduate), pretty sure Azzi’s mom clued her in— on top of Iverson’s Association brilliance.

Separately, I am curious to know what Geno would have made of AI as his coach. On one hand, he famously played every possession like his last on both ends, had a burning desire to win & penchant to shine in spotlight. On the other, he was a myopic volume scorer that eschewed team ball & frequently mailed in practice or missed entirely.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yup. Maya and Paige are unicorns. Saniya is one reason I don't have any hair. (Although she did finally get the ball to Pulido :)) Me thinks you may be judging 'some' harshly. You may be confusing enthusiasm with judging.
I for one am excited for the potential that I see and, as I posted, feel that with a good off season she could fill a role next year. It's obvious that at the end of the recent game, at first Geno's orders were to get the ball to Amari and have her get it in to Piath. Amari threw 4 consecutive good passes into Piath resulting in 3 baskets. Then he moved her outside and let her bomb away. She's got a nice stroke and went 2 for 4 and 1 for 3 from 3. She's not timid with the ball like many freshman with limited minutes. All in all it's a good job in a limited sample and I am looking forward to more.
This winter (November) when the 2022-2023 season begins, Amari will have spent 17 months in the program. I expect to the the "fruits of her labor" and the results of the coach's labor during that time in Amari when the season begins. ONO will be gone. She has already said SHE WILL NOT RETURN.

There will be 2 openings in Geno's starting lineup next season. Christyn's spot and ONO's spot. I'm assuming that Paige gets her spot back, and Azzi gets a spot. Aaliyah should earn a spot. As a junior, I can't see her coming off the bench, especially if she finishes the season like she's playing now.

That leaves 2 spots. A wing and a post. This will be the subject of the debate. Who fills these two spots? Unless Geno adds another player from the portal, this will be his 11 player roster for the 2022-2023 season. Note that like last year, Geno will have no seniors on this roster unless Aubrey Griffin chooses to forego a redshirt application.

It's my guess that the starters for that first exhibition game in November are in BOLD. Of course that can change for game 2 and beyond. We should know a day or two before that first game. Many things can happen between now and then that would alter this guess. which is 8 months out. Gabriel will be a junior next year. I expect to see more of her in games next year. How much more remains to be seen.

Edwards (Jr)
Bueckers (Jr)
Fudd (Soph)
Ducharme (Soph)
Juhasz (Gr) (if she returns as she says she will) Her experience and Maturity should may DeBerry's

DeBerry (Soph) - if Juhasz does not return
Muhl (Jr)
Griffin (RS/Jr) (Assuming she is cleared to play)
Gabriel (Jr)
Brady (Fr)
Patterson (Fr)

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think DeBerry has 3 asts, all to Piath. And that is 6 easy pts for Piath.
Before you say it is easy, remember all the things that go wrong when we pass it down low to our starters:
1. missed layup
2. travelling
3. Ball stolen
4. Turn into a double team - turnover
5. fumble the catch
6. Shot gets blocked by a player or the backboard

oh and every now and then, they actually execute the play and make the shot. It is like maybe a 33% chance that something good comes out of it when we throw the ball down low to ONO, AE and DJ. I don't really get it really, but bad things seem to happen more often than not. So, when we actually execute a high low and we score and nothing bad happens, I do a fist pump. I never take an easy layup for granted with this group.

But yes, it should be easy...but for a multitude or reasons, it just isn't.

Reaction Score
Last year some players were perceived to be reluctant to take shots. It doesn’t appear that Amari will ever be accused of being afraid or reluctant to shoot.
Don’t forget what one of the male practice players said about Amari last week. To paraphrase, he said Amari had one of the smoothest shots on the team. She hit a couple tonight that fit the bill.

I expect Amari to make a huge sophomore leap, and be the starting post for the next 3 years. :rolleyes:
I hope you're right, I'm rooting for her BUT, unless Amari starts to practice with the intensity that Geno expects and demands from ALL his players (POY or last off the bench) she won't play much more then she is now. An unfortunate waste of talent.

Reaction Score
Really? If a Piath type is down low, why can't Amari be the PF using her skills. I doubt we'll ever see her as a down low banger.
The same as Carnac said - I'm a fan of Amari. but . . .

IMO to improve her game she needs to be better than just being a PF. Looking at both offense and defense I assume there are better PF's than her; Dorka, Edwards, when UCONN plays small ball Evina and Caroline also. These are 4. Then next year Aubrey comes back (while Aubrey doesn't have the offensive skills she is probably far superior defensively. And probably a superior Offensive Rebounder And on both transition offense and transition defense Aubrey would be far superior.). Also Ice and Ayanna are major threats. But if she could use her size for more than just jump shots – she is much different than most.

IMO she has to be more than just a High Low Post offensive Power Forward player. If that is all she can do then it's limited. Because what happens when your shot is off and you don’t have to be double-teamed? How effective will she be if her defense is also limited not only on transition, but can't guard "the Siegrist types" and can't guard the physical posts either? And can't hedge out and be effective enough to help team cause missed shots/turnovers?

She has a perimeter offense but she also needs to learn to treat smaller players like they are a small mouse in her house. There are too many other better players for her to settle on “just being good enough” as only a high post player with very limited defense (I suspect it’s limited.). There is more to a post than just “High-Low.

Reaction Score
The same as Carnac said - I'm a fan of Amari. but . . .

IMO to improve her game she needs to be better than just being a PF. Looking at both offense and defense I assume there are better PF's than her; Dorka, Edwards, when UCONN plays small ball Evina and Caroline also. These are 4. Then next year Aubrey comes back (while Aubrey doesn't have the offensive skills she is probably far superior defensively. And probably a superior Offensive Rebounder And on both transition offense and transition defense Aubrey would be far superior.). Also Ice and Ayanna are major threats. But if she could use her size for more than just jump shots – she is much different than most.

IMO she has to be more than just a High Low Post offensive Power Forward player. If that is all she can do then it's limited. Because what happens when your shot is off and you don’t have to be double-teamed? How effective will she be if her defense is also limited not only on transition, but can't guard "the Siegrist types" and can't guard the physical posts either? And can't hedge out and be effective enough to help team cause missed shots/turnovers?

She has a perimeter offense but she also needs to learn to treat smaller players like they are a small mouse in her house. There are too many other better players for her to settle on “just being good enough” as only a high post player with very limited defense (I suspect it’s limited.). There is more to a post than just “High-Low.

With her shooting and passing ability she is a stretch 4 and not a PF. I’d like to see her handle a bit more though.

Reaction Score
With her shooting and passing ability she is a stretch 4 and not a PF. I’d like to see her handle a bit more though.
Then she won't play much imo if she wants to be a Stretch 4 instead of a Power Forward that can play both inside and outside.

Reaction Score
Really? If a Piath type is down low, why can't Amari be the PF using her skills. I doubt we'll ever see her as a down low banger.
The problem is we need bigs in the near future not a 6’5” outside shooter. With 2 six foot three wing / power forwards with better mobility coming in next year Amari needs to bang down low a higher percentage of her playing time. It looks like she needs to get a good bit stronger. Maybe a bit of nasty would help.

Reaction Score
I can't find the "right" picture, but there is on one on the bench who is more engaged in cheering for the team than Amari. I remember in the Tennessee game, when UCONN was making one of its' patented runs, they showed the bench and Amari was letting out a primal scream.

She's so enthusiastic and engaged - Geno said in one interview that after games, they will review game tape, and if the see bench players disinterested or unengaged, it will be a problem for future PT. That is NOT a problem for Amari. And of course it's great seeing her get in and actually do things. She will get it. Her future is very bright.

620066237a053.image.jpg

I just want to add - for all the folks who say Amari and Piath should get even more PT, I disagree 100%. This is a team who has had 9 different starting lineups and it may be 10 when Paige gets back and Geno reconfigures again. This is NOT a team that has had literally ANY consistency on player availability. With the BET and NCAA's coming up, there needs to be as much PT as possible for the core 8 or 9.

About 7 minutes in Q1 and 5 in Q2 was pretty ragged against bottom dweller Xavier. Until the core group can string together longer stretches of excellent play, Piath and Amari won't see the floor until "X" minutes in to Q4, and nor should they. They will not be relied on to win a NC or BET championship this season. Next year, though, watch out!
I want to disagree with your post , I think Amari and Piath should get some playing time in these blowouts. They need the experience and we can use their help especially in March. They have showed us that they can contribute. We have lost enough players transfering out because of that reason. Recruits also notice this.

Reaction Score
I look at DeBerry's build and can see why she likes it outside. She looks like a tall version of Bueckers in the 8th grade. She would get beaten up playing against Smith & Egbo.
After the season Geno will likely tell her that he likes her ability to score from outside and that will get her 10 min/game. If she wants more she has to get a lot stronger and learn to play against physical players inside. Simple as that. And he will likely say the same to the freshmen, both of whom seem to have some range outside. Those willing to do the dirty work play.
Deberry could be a prolific shot blocker too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Before you say it is easy, remember all the things that go wrong when we pass it down low to our starters:
1. missed layup
2. travelling
3. Ball stolen
4. Turn into a double team - turnover
5. fumble the catch
6. Shot gets blocked by a player or the backboard

oh and every now and then, they actually execute the play and make the shot. It is like maybe a 33% chance that something good comes out of it when we throw the ball down low to ONO, AE and DJ. I don't really get it really, but bad things seem to happen more often than not. So, when we actually execute a high low and we score and nothing bad happens, I do a fist pump. I never take an easy layup for granted with this group.

But yes, it should be easy...but for a multitude or reasons, it just isn't.
I see, from your list of 6 bad outcomes, that you have been watching closely this season. I have the same concerns.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Then she won't play much imo if she wants to be a Stretch 4 instead of a Power Forward that can play both inside and outside.
Perhaps we should define a 'Stretch 4' and a 'Power Forward'. It's my understanding the difference in terminology is only on the offensive end. Both players would have to defend the opponents 4 in a man D. A 'Stretch 4' is a player who has a consistent outside game and thereby will stretch the opponent's interior defense out to the arc. This creates an opening for other players to slash to mid-range or the rim. A 'Power Forward' does not have the outside game but is physical enough to score inside amidst banging and pushing. A 'Stretch 4' is not a 3 but must also have a good inside offensive skill set. I'm sure my definition's are antiquated in light of 'position-less' basketball.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we should define a 'Stretch 4' and a 'Power Forward'. It's my understanding the difference in terminology is only on the offensive end. Both players would have to defend the opponents 4 in a man D. A 'Stretch 4' is a player who has a consistent outside game and thereby will stretch the opponent's interior defense out to the arc. This creates an opening for other players to slash to mid-range or the rim. A 'Power Forward' does not have the outside game but is physical enough to score inside amidst banging and pushing. A 'Stretch 4' is not a 3 but must also have a good inside offensive skill set. I'm sure my definition's are antiquated in light of 'position-less' basketball.
My initial reply was using "Stretch 4 and "PF" as synonymous. I was referring to her being in the High Low as nearly always being at the High. That's why I asked the question "What happens when her shot is off?" And it's why I spoke of Edwards and Dorka as her competition for minutes among others. When the poster Stringer specifically brought up "Stretch 4" -- and not "PF" - I think of a Stretch 4 like Siegrist from Villanova. Would you define her as a "Stretch 4?"

What about Stewart and Tuck (I don't want to get into a dispute which one was a 4 vs 5 but let's just say for discussion one of them played the 4 for a time. Agree? So, pick whichever you want.)? They had both an inside and outside game. How would you define each of them? And would you say Siegrist is the same as them and whether you refer to Tuck or Stewie as a Stretch player, would you classify whoever between Stewie or Tuck is offensively the same as a Stretch player that Siegrist is?

My point was that Amari can't be content to be just predominantly hanging on the perimeter which I feel Siegrist usually does. Amari also has to learn to punish smaller players (Which I referred to that she has to treat certain smaller players like they are a mouse in her house."

Agree?

(For the record I do understand Siegrist also can punish smaller players in the post but the difference is Siegrist is 6'1 so she isn't taller than many, while Amari is.)

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
That's why I asked the question "What happens when her shot is off?"
That's a question for every player and why Geno drives players to learn how to contribute in other ways when you are not scoring. (Azzi just went 1-7 from 3 and played 35 minutes) IMHO, Amari is going to become a great facilitator from the high post. The offense will run through her. (Yes Paige, et. al., will still be serving scintillating passes. The offense will not be monolithic). She has great moves inside. She needs to get stronger, develop defending skills, and practice harder.

Reaction Score
That's a question for every player and why Geno drives players to learn how to contribute in other ways when you are not scoring. (Azzi just went 1-7 from 3 and played 35 minutes) IMHO, Amari is going to become a great facilitator from the high post. The offense will run through her. (Yes Paige, et. al., will still be serving scintillating passes. The offense will not be monolithic). She has great moves inside. She needs to get stronger, develop defending skills, and practice harder.
I don't believe the offense will run through her though. I understand about monolithic I think but there are at least three players UCONN wants to run the offense through next year other than her as an "absolute."

So the players that play the best supporting Paige, Azzi and Caroline will play more.

And the other post players will not be "incompetent" in the High Low and other offensive sets. And 4 guards for a portion of the game is a real possibility too.

Reaction Score
If you notice when Amari comes in it's always after Piath. Piath is her target. She doesn't even look to play below the foul line. I assumed this was intentional. In this offense, the post has to play low and also pass from the foul area. It's a staple of the Princeton offense even though it doesn't have to be a post. I think they just want Amari to get a feel for the position from the foul line at this time versus throwing the whole package at her at once. Amari is a natural 5, but she isn't necessarily a natural distributor. ONO is the exact opposite. She's a natural 4. I think Amari is right on track and the best part is there's no pressure. Geno says a lot of things to needle players. I don't take it as they aren't what he expected. I was impressed with Amari's jump shot form for a player her size.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
It took Gabby Williams a year to get acclimated and understand what she was supposed to do. She said as much in an interview at the beginning of her sophomore year. Look how she turned out.
But after an early season loss to Stanford in which Gabby played little and contributed less, she vowed that her obligations to her team would never allow that again, and she immediately bought in to the Uconn culture, especially to play whatever position Geno placed her, and she jacked up her defensive game. Her exciting emergence, then, was a joint project of Geno's demands and her own dedication. And we all can recall just how incredible that was— for her, for her team, and for our own delight!

Reaction Score
The way I look at it all the possibilities compared to our expectation for Amari are still on the table, but the clock is ticking and she has plenty of competition. Entering this season I thought it would be a learning year for Amari. Liv and Dorka had the C minutes spoken for, and similarly Aaliyah and Aubrey at PF.

The third C option looked like a battle between Amari and Piath, where I thought Amari had a distinctive edge because she was a much higher rated recruit, even though Piath had one year of experience. Amari later had a potential opportunity as a PF sub because of Aubrey's surgery, but didn't do enough at least in practice to be trusted in that role.

We have used a three big rotation, but when one of those was out, Geno felt more confident using 4 guards some of the time, than either Amari or Piath. Not a good sign for either of them. Next year I expect Dorka to return and play almost all of her minutes at C, not split between C and PF like this year.

Backup C next year is a competition with at least 3 challengers. Amari and Piath appear to be close right now, so you can't rule out either, but most agree Amari has more skills and upside if she harnesses it. Ice enters the picture as a more natural PF, but because of her bulk could probably be very effective there as well.

For Amari and Piath winning the battle as the best 6-5 backup C between themselves, is not the end of the battle. They still have to be better there than a very good PF that could play there like Ice or Aaliyah, and be better than the 4 guard option which Geno is obviously not afraid to use.

As far as upside is concerned after Dorka leaves, Amari could by her junior year be a candidate for starter, if the flower blooms so to speak. The potential is pretty obvious, but at this point in her freshmen year she has not yet achieved relevance in the rotation this year, or assured that her role will expand next year. There is plenty of time to achieve that though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But after an early season loss to Stanford in which Gabby played little and contributed less, she vowed that her obligations to her team would never allow that again, and she immediately bought in to the Uconn culture, especially to play whatever position Geno placed her, and she jacked up her defensive game. Her exciting emergence, then, was a joint project of Geno's demands and her own dedication. And we all can recall just how incredible that was— for her, for her team, and for our own delight!
One of the many reasons I love Gabby. She wasn’t getting PT and did something about it—by paying attention and playing harder. She became Gabbulous.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Azzi was/is aware of this epic AI rant, considering they shot that Tik Tok commercial together…

Or if any current UConn players are similarly cognizant?

As a fellow Georgetown alumn (well, AI didn’t graduate), pretty sure Azzi’s mom clued her in— on top of Iverson’s Association brilliance.

Separately, I am curious to know what Geno would have made of AI as his coach. On one hand, he famously played every possession like his last on both ends, had a burning desire to win & penchant to shine in spotlight. On the other, he was a myopic volume scorer that eschewed team ball & frequently mailed in practice or missed entirely.
Despite his immense talent, I don't think Geno would have even considered recruiting a me first player like Iverson............

Reaction Score
I see, from your list of 6 bad outcomes, that you have been watching closely this season. I have the same concerns.
Nothing more frustrating than seeing how we screw up low post scoring as consistently as we have been. It had been better lately but that might be due to the low level of competition. Looking forward with having potential 3 terrific shooters in , CD and PB, this will certainly open things up in the middle with less traffic and less quick decisions for our bigs to make. Just grab the pass and go strong. Hopefully that will lead to less TOs in these situations and more success overall. I think our bigs can can have some success, just not so much when there is a big defensive focus on them.

sun

Reaction Score
Here's an in-depth about Amari before she entered college.
She was recruited by Power 5 schools.
I doubt that she will be sitting on the bench as much next year as she has this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I want to disagree with your post , I think Amari and Piath should get some playing time in these blowouts. They need the experience and we can use their help especially in March. They have showed us that they can contribute. We have lost enough players transfering out because of that reason. Recruits also notice this.
I get what you are saying, but that's not what I said. Piath got 8 minutes against Xavier and Amari got just under 7. They looked good and played well. But my comment about not getting more PT had to do with tighter games. We will not see them in any game where we aren't up by 20-25 in Q4. At least I don't believe we will.

It's great that Geno was able to get them in. I expect to see them against Georgetown today. That should be a similar beatdown. Georgetown, Xavier, and Butler are the bottom of the league. But, IMHO there is zero chance we see them in the semi's or finals of the BET, nor will we see them after the 2nd round of the NCAA's, and possibly not after the 1st round.

If we have a roster of a healthy team with Paige, Christyn, Azzi, Caroline, Olivia, Liya, Dorka, Evina, and Nika - that is the core group that will play all the minutes in big games. You are 100% right - and if I did not say it right, I will say it again - in blowouts, I LOVE seeing them get 6-8 minutes or even more. And I think they should. And so does Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom