GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter | Page 3 | The Boneyard

GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ATL is the capital and gateway to SE, GT is a premiere institution. B1G doesn't take eyesores like Ville.

Don't understand the appeal of Gtech. They're not a great program, second fiddle in their state. Sounds like someone the ACC would go after.

Yes, I get Atlanta but, is that the only reason?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
GT, an ex-SEC team, does not have a boatload of fans in Georgia or anywhere else. They are a real second fiddle in Ga. and don't bring anything to the table. That being said, they're probably up next.:cool:

Reaction Score
Cuse and GT would be my first choices from the ACC after UNC and UVA. I would take GT over Cuse because they add a large city with no overlap in coverage.
Going by the schools you listed here, I would assume the SEC wants UNC. That would leave UVA, Syracuse and us. We're in a very good position.

caw

Reaction Score
True, but Delany and the B1G don't strike me as taking an outlier straight on tv #. They are very deliberate and calculated in their movements. They're going to take teams that make sense regionally academically and athletically. UVA fits the bill. Uconn is close, but we don't have aau. I would think UVA and unc over GT plus one any day.

The B1G seems to be the only conference with their ish together.

Reaction Score
The B1G seems to be the only conference with their ish together.
As well as the SEC and Pac-12. Those three conferences are never going to go as long as this civilization continues.

Reaction Score
Cuse is a private school. How many private schools are in the B1G?
You seriously asking? Just Northwestern. The University of Chicago used to be involved in athletics but now are just involved academically. Two, from an academic standpoint.

Reaction Score
You seriously asking? Just Northwestern. The University of Chicago used to be involved in athletics but now are just involved academically. Two, from an academic standpoint.
I already knew the answer. Nw is the only one

Reaction Score
On a side note, just e-mailed my doctor who went to UM, asking him to lobby for us amongst his fellow UM alumni. He responded in 4 minutes, saying, "Will do!"

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, where the majority are Bulldogs fans. Am I the only one having a gigantic problem believing this rumor?? And keep in mind that I've just seen Maryland and Rutgers go to the B1G, and I'm STILL having problems believing Georgia Tech. Everything feels wrong about it after analyzing it, and normally that says to me that it can't be true. Is this a smoke-screen for another team in the ACC or elsewhere? Who the hell really understands realignment anymore....:confused:
Count me in the skeptical group. GT is an afterthought in Georgia. Clemson is an afterthought in SC although the school does well with recruiting in Georgia and South Carolina going toe to toe with USC. But if GT or Clemson go to the B!G they would be ostracized from the southeast. Just my opinion from living here is SC.

Reaction Score
A Connecticut transplant keeping the flag waving in Beantown.....and for the record, in my five years living here, I have yet to see any signs of BC's relevancy in this market. I'll keep looking though!
Exactly. Been here five years as well, and I've met a bunch of UConn fans (also, UNC and Duke), but never met a BC fan who didn't go to BC.

Reaction Score
The most likely candidates are ND, UVA, UNC, and Duke, although ND is not an AAU school. I think GT would be next then UConn. Kansas and Texas are possible, but unlikely. Highly unlikely they take Pitt (not a new media market), Syracuse and BC (private schools, not AAU).

Realistic possible scenario:
ND and UVA to Big 10. Gets them to 16
UNC and Duke to SEC. Gets them to 16
GT, FSU, Clemson, Miami (or Pitt), VT, NC St. to Big 12. Gets them to 16.

ACC or new conference name becomes the 4 leftover ACC schools, which are all former BE schools, plus some current BE schools.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have trouble believing it. Having GTU in the Big Ten does not cause people in Atlanta to pay for the Big Ten Network separately, nor does it allow the existing Big Ten names to make inroads into the market by bringing their existing midwestern stars there to play. Atlanta is and always will be SEC country unless the Big Ten adds UGA.

In Rutgers, they think they're getting TV revenues in Jersey (not NYC), but they get access to Big Ten fans and alumni in the entire NYC Metro area. Neither of those exist at GTU. The only similarity between GTU and RU is they both dilute the athletic quality of the conference.

If I had to guess, GT, which would join, is being used to try to smoke out UVA and/or UNC. But that is just a WAG.
This is the only thing that makes sense. Delany would have to be losing it before taking GT. It is geographically off his radar and offers nothing to the B!G. I couldn't imagine him wanting FSU and that would offer a boatload more viewers than GT.

Reaction Score
They only reason they are currently Bulldog fans is because Georgia keeps running over Georgia Tech in football. However the extra 10 million could buy a top notch coach who would bring in top notch recruits to deal with Georgia. Plus this hides the fact that Georgia Tech was once again run over by Georgia for the year... it will quickly be forgotten

It has more to do with just a coach. Georgia reigns supreme in the state of Georgia and GT is an after thought.

UGA is a historic campus and a football powerhouse in the SEC. GT has no way of competing with them on the gridiron. All the top players want to play in the SEC. Also if GT goes to the B1G they will lose recruits because southern kids dont want to play half their games in cold weather during the winter.

In fact Torrey Smith and a couple other NFL players were asked if MD had been part of the B1G would that have changed their decision. Torrey said absolutely if MD was in B1G he woudl have been Vatech all the way. Said no chance he would have played at a cold weather school with not having games in the area of hte country he is from so his family could see him play.

A lot of people dont realize the huge culture difference with the North/South. MD isn't as hardcore south as when you get outside of Nova and into the rest of ACC country. Southerners are very prideful and somewhat resent northerners. GT going to the B1G would not necessarily help their recuiting even if they were making more money. Southern kids dont want to play in the cold weather and when there is the SEC, BIG 12, ACC to choose from they would rather play in those conferences than the B1G.

Reaction Score
The most likely candidates are ND, UVA, UNC, and Duke, although ND is not an AAU school. I think GT would be next then UConn. Kansas and Texas are possible, but unlikely. Highly unlikely they take Pitt (not a new media market), Syracuse and BC (private schools, not AAU).

ACC or new conference name becomes the 4 leftover ACC schools, which are all former BE schools, plus some current BE schools.

I'm not sure on the details and would love it if someone could explain them to me, but from what I understand Kansas can't leave the B12 because of the monstrous 13-year TV deal that was signed.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
gtech does seem to be picking up some steem. then the following this ar eof note.
-it seems the kansas rumor has been shot down
-the ethridge fsu rumor makes more sense
-gt is the bc of the acc 2 years ago for the minute, cable box i know...
-who is 16? uva?
-i can easily see this being the claim to how far the conf will reach and filling in from there for 18 or 20. dc and atl are 2 of those huge alum cities for nd. i have to asume that the b10 will be going passed 16 if gtech is the answer.
-fox has stake in both the b10 and b12 so i still find it hard to figure out what the real behind the scenes move with gtech is. u would think they would go to the b12 with fsu and crew so they have close schools, but then again the academics of the b10 blah blah.
-if the b10 takes #15 and then no one, then they are waiting for nd in 2015 and we then know to go to the acc.

i'm a little lost with gtech. i have a harder time seeing it being good for uconn but its still very possible. and once again if a acc school moves and its not uconn with it, well the acc is just slot after slot open for all the crabby bball idiots....

Reaction Score

ND going to the B1G is not realistic. Not any time soon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While academically GT fist the BIG, it is still a ‘southern’ school and the BIG seems to take geography into account as all of their states touch each other. If that rule is followed, the BIG would need to take 3 schools (a school in Kentucky, Tennessee, and GT or North Carolina, South Carolina and GT). It just does not make sense. Of course, nothing except for TV revenue seems to matter right now and Atlanta is a major market (recruiting, too).
Of course, geography could be an issue for UConn, too; but, if BIG is serious about the NY/NE market, the 30 mile gap between NJ and CT should not be much of an issue. It is also a lot less than the 500 mile gap between the current BIG and GT. Unless, the BIG add Syracuse first, which would be bad for CT as the goal appears to be 16 right now and UVA appears to be the first choice and NY also borders Mass and BC (frack!).
And Clemson wants the ACC to explode to bail for the SEC (no chance due to their S Carolina issue) or the XII.

Reports were that the B1G did look hard at GT and rejected it, because it was well behind UGA in the Atlanta area as well as the rest of the state. That, plus the distance/diconnect with the rest of the B1G put them on the out list. The B1G then went with Maryland and RU. I suspect RU replaced GT in that scenario.

You can bank on this, the B1G isn't taking any school that doesn't carry the mindshare of their state/region. It's debatable whether UVA does that. UNC does, but it will be a cold day in hell before they go to a northern league, they want the SEC, and want UVA to go with them. Among ACC schools that leaves really only Syracuse with upstate NY and maybe BC (doubt it). In the B12, Kansas would fit, is AAU and contiguous. I think they would leave KSU behind. If KU was invited, OU would become contiguous, and would meet the criteria. As a 1-2 punch, they upgrade basketball and football. Outside those leagues, UConn is really the only school fitting most of the criteria.

Reaction Score
Kansas is not going anywhere without KSU and OU is not going anywhere without OSU.

I believe there are political agreements in those states that the schools wont abandon their lil Bros.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Going by the schools you listed here, I would assume the SEC wants UNC. That would leave UVA, Syracuse and us. We're in a very good position.
SEC wants UNC and UNC goes with UVA. SEC locks up every major public U in the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom