GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter | Page 4 | The Boneyard

GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas is not going anywhere without KSU and OU is not going anywhere without OSU.

I believe there are political agreements in those states that the schools wont abandon their lil Bros.

As somebody from Kansas, with connections high in the government, I disagree. Times have changed. When Mizzou was in the Big 12, it couldn't happen. But now? The legislature won't take the chance that they lose the relationship with OU as well. They can always schedule K State. K-State football ensures they will land somewhere anyway.

Reaction Score
That might be so for Kansas but OU is a whole nother story.

A distant family member of mine is a large OSU donor. They told me last year during the whole realignment that OU/OSU is a package deal if it ever came down to that point. Said OU football is too big and powerful and would force OSU to any conference that wanted OU.

Reaction Score
The most likely candidates are ND, UVA, UNC, and Duke, although ND is not an AAU school. I think GT would be next then UConn. Kansas and Texas are possible, but unlikely. Highly unlikely they take Pitt (not a new media market), Syracuse and BC (private schools, not AAU).

Realistic possible scenario:
ND and UVA to Big 10. Gets them to 16
UNC and Duke to SEC. Gets them to 16
GT, FSU, Clemson, Miami (or Pitt), VT, NC St. to Big 12. Gets them to 16.

ACC or new conference name becomes the 4 leftover ACC schools, which are all former BE schools, plus some current BE schools.
The SEC doesn't want 2 schools from the same state. I would say UNC and UVA or Va Tech Tech.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The SEC doesn't want 2 schools from the same state. I would say UNC and Va Tech.
If the SEC expands and wants any ACC schools those two schools would be on the top of their list imo!

Reaction Score
If UNC and VT go to the SEC, we're in a VERY good position.

Reaction Score
The SEC doesn't want 2 schools from the same state. I would say UNC and UVA or Va Tech Tech.

The SEC says they dont want 2 teams from the same state but UNC/Duke will most likely stick together. UNC would be a huge get for the SEC and i think FSU/Clemson might even get serious consideration from the SEC just to keep the Big 12 from penetrating that market and prevent another conference entrance into the fertile recruiting grounds of FL and SC.

Reaction Score
The SEC says they dont want 2 teams from the same state but UNC/Duke will most likely stick together. UNC would be a huge get for the SEC and i think FSU/Clemson might even get serious consideration from the SEC just to keep the Big 12 from penetrating that market and prevent another conference entrance into the fertile recruiting grounds of FL and SC.
UNC and Duke are too close to each other. Duke could partner with one of the Virginia schools. I don't think the SEC is worried about the Big 12 in South Carolina and Florida has so much talent that taking FSU wouldn't take much talent away from them. Besides if the SEC wanted too they could take another Texas school if they were that worried about losing Florida recruits. Texas might be the only state where they could have 2 schools that don't encroach on each others markets.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It certainly is possible that the SEC would take FSU and Clemson but I think a lot more things have to happen with realignment before that is considered.

And I'm not sure of the politics that exist between UNC and Duke one being a state school and one being a private school. Their affiliation with one another is entirely men's bb imo and I'm sure both schools would like to see that survive. Outside of this I'm not sure if anything else is holding them together. If UNC left I suppose Duke could do a Kansas and not play UNC the same way Kansas threatens to no longer play Missouri. But there are a lot of UNC alumni who would love to see that threat carried out!!!!

Reaction Score
SEC wants to raise its academic profile, getting UVA and UNC would be huge.

Neither fits well culturally today, but who knows. Would UNC and UVA rather stay south?

Reaction Score
The logical choices for the B1G are: 1. ND 2.UVA 3.UNC 4. Mizzou (they would leave the SEC in a heartbeat) 5.UConn 6. Kansas 7. SU/BC/Pitt

Think GT is too much of an outlier and Texas too much of an ego.

Reaction Score
The logical choices for the B1G are: 1. ND 2.UVA 3.UNC 4. Mizzou (they would leave the SEC in a heartbeat) 5.UConn 6. Kansas 7. SU/BC/Pitt

I would be really, really surprised if the SEC took MIzzou without really making sure that they didn't and couldn't ditch the SEC for the BiG. Slive is smarter than that.

Reaction Score
It certainly is possible that the SEC would take FSU and Clemson but I think a lot more things have to happen with realignment before that is considered.

And I'm not sure of the politics that exist between UNC and Duke one being a state school and one being a private school. Their affiliation with one another is entirely men's bb imo and I'm sure both schools would like to see that survive. Outside of this I'm not sure if anything else is holding them together. If UNC left I suppose Duke could do a Kansas and not play UNC the same way Kansas threatens to no longer play Missouri. But there are a lot of UNC alumni who would love to see that threat carried out!!!!
I'm sure both schools are a possibility, but would have to think USC east would not be thrilled with a Clemson move. They already play them in everything and don't need to see them on equal footing conference wise.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Those would be my list and pretty much int the order as well. I might put Cuse ahead of UConn and I'm not sure why Delany would change his mind now about Mizzou. But this is the list that makes the most sense for me! However all this realignment thing has had so much knee jerk activity who knows?

Reaction Score
UNC and Duke are too close to each other. Duke could partner with one of the Virginia schools. I don't think the SEC is worried about the Big 12 in South Carolina and Florida has so much talent that taking FSU wouldn't take much talent away from them. Besides if the SEC wanted too they could take another Texas school if they were that worried about losing Florida recruits. Texas might be the only state where they could have 2 schools that don't encroach on each others markets.

I don't think that is the correct analysis on Duke. If you take Duke, you are not taking them for any of the reason you have taken anyone else into the Ten. Not football. Not football fanbase. Not football market. And, while it's a great school, the Ten doesn't need a small private school for its academic image.

If the Ten takes Duke, it is because they are being brought in (i) because you can't get UNC otherwise and UNC is worth it, and/or (ii) because Duke is the #1 basketball brand name and in your national ouperconference you are willing to tie up one spot for your hoops.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the only issue with these gtech rumors is that they have gone thru all the normal pipes but i have yet to see anything official. the dude, mhver, 247 writers etc.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm sure both schools are a possibility, but would have to think USC east would not be thrilled with a Clemson move. They already play them in everything and don't need to see them on equal footing conference wise.
Exactly. The only way USC and Florida agree to taking Clemson and FSU would be a very advanced stage of conference realignment in which the four super conference is closing in on reality and FSU/Clemson are still on the table and better choices are unavailable. Like you I don't see that happening but this process isn't being orchestrated by one or two entities.

Reaction Score
I don't think that is the correct analysis on Duke. If you take Duke, you are not taking them for any of the reason you have taken anyone else into the Ten. Not football. Not football fanbase. Not football market. And, while it's a great school, the Ten doesn't need a small private school for its academic image.

If the Ten takes Duke, it is because they are being brought in (i) because you can't get UNC otherwise and UNC is worth it, and/or (ii) because Duke is the #1 basketball brand name and in your national ouperconference you are willing to tie up one spot for your hoops.
Your right BL, we were talking SEC.

Reaction Score
Psh, great, but at this point UConn is being treated like it's diseased or something. No guarantee we'd take GTech's spot even if they are leaving.

Reaction Score
http://www.cornnation.com/2012/11/30/3711156/is-georgia-tech-next-for-the-big-ten
Boston College or UConn also would be logical, if not unspectacular, additions to the conference and it's footprint. I kind of think that with Rutgers and the collapse of the ACC, the Big Ten will probably do fairly well in the northeast from a mindset perspective. I don't know that Jim Delaney needs to add a school there to reinforce that. But it's certainly an option.
Buckle your seatbelts, because realignment is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom