GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, where the majority are Bulldogs fans. Am I the only one having a gigantic problem believing this rumor?? And keep in mind that I've just seen Maryland and Rutgers go to the B1G, and I'm STILL having problems believing Georgia Tech. Everything feels wrong about it after analyzing it, and normally that says to me that it can't be true. Is this a smoke-screen for another team in the ACC or elsewhere? Who the hell really understands realignment anymore....:confused:

I have trouble believing it. Having GTU in the Big Ten does not cause people in Atlanta to pay for the Big Ten Network separately, nor does it allow the existing Big Ten names to make inroads into the market by bringing their existing midwestern stars there to play. Atlanta is and always will be SEC country unless the Big Ten adds UGA.

In Rutgers, they think they're getting TV revenues in Jersey (not NYC), but they get access to Big Ten fans and alumni in the entire NYC Metro area. Neither of those exist at GTU. The only similarity between GTU and RU is they both dilute the athletic quality of the conference.

If I had to guess, GT, which would join, is being used to try to smoke out UVA and/or UNC. But that is just a WAG.

Reaction Score
I have trouble believing it. Having GTU in the Big Ten does not cause people in Atlanta to pay for the Big Ten Network separately, nor does it allow the existing Big Ten names to make inroads into the market by bringing their existing midwestern stars there to play. Atlanta is and always will be SEC country unless the Big Ten adds UGA.

In Rutgers, they think they're getting TV revenues in Jersey (not NYC), but they get access to Big Ten fans and alumni in the entire NYC Metro area. Neither of those exist at GTU. The only similarity between GTU and RU is they both dilute the athletic quality of the conference.

If I had to guess, GT, which would join, is being used to try to smoke out UVA and/or UNC. But that is just a WAG.

Could the BiG actually be ambling for 18 teams?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I understand that all of these conference moves are based on money but is the biggest factor the TV dollars? I only ask because I live in Ridgefield and had no clue until the other day that I get the BT Network. I never asked for it so it must come with whatever sports package I've had with Comcast for umpteen years.

caw

Reaction Score

I agree with this, though I think GT is a fallback that the B1G would take if UVA/UNC both say no, which they can because they are both also in play, somewhat, for the SEC. GT is the low hanging fruit (of the ACC) for the B1G to get, IMO. They aren't going to be pursued by the SEC and are lower on the list for the Big 12, though likely would be called on. GT is still probably higher up the list than UConn, but of the ACC pickings they shouldn't be that high.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My guess is UConn will be in ACC before Christmas

At this point, I hope not. I'm really hoping for a B1G invite. I know, I know...I'd accept an ACC invite too if it gets out of the Big East. But I really think there is a chance at the B1G here.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, though I think GT is a fallback that the B1G would take if UVA/UNC both say no, which they can because they are both also in play, somewhat, for the SEC. GT is the low hanging fruit (of the ACC) for the B1G to get, IMO. They aren't going to be pursued by the SEC and are lower on the list for the Big 12, though likely would be called on. GT is still probably higher up the list than UConn, but of the ACC pickings they shouldn't be that high.
UConn has a bigger market than GT. Also, no competition.

Reaction Score
I understand that all of these conference moves are based on money but is the biggest factor the TV dollars? I only ask because I live in Ridgefield and had no clue until the other day that I get the BT Network. I never asked for it so it must come with whatever sports package I've had with Comcast for umpteen years.

The Biggest factor is the TV dollars. For the Ten, the issue is not primarily how many households does the Big Ten Network penetrate as much as how much per subscriber can they get out of the cable companies for it. In Ridgefield, I guaranty you they are not getting a fraction per subscriber as what they get in cable companies in Michigan and Nebraska because they have no leverage. The more of an eastern presence in the Ten, and, in Ridgefield, the more of a UConn presence, the better their ability to demand a higher payment from the cable companies.

Does that help?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They only reason they are currently Bulldog fans is because Georgia keeps running over Georgia Tech in football. However the extra 10 million could buy a top notch coach who would bring in top notch recruits to deal with Georgia. Plus this hides the fact that Georgia Tech was once again run over by Georgia for the year... it will quickly be forgotten

It's not the only reason. Georgia is the "State U". They enjoy a lot more history and top notch performances in their past, even when the "Ramblin' Wreck" was in its prime. They really tout the "World's Largest Coctail Party" with Florida, and generally speaking, are SEC Country. Even a span of 5 consecutive wins in a row won't flip that boat in the state of Georgia, and 5 wins in a row would really be saying something! By the way, the longest streak in the rivalry belongs to Tech, with eight straight wins from 1949-1956 (and that still didn't flip the issue in the state of Georgia).

But it certainly doesn't help that Tech gets its kicked yearly by the Bulldogs, either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

Reaction Score

What do they do with GTU if UNC and UVA end up in the SEC. That would devastate GTU athletics in the long run, just like the geographic isolation has harmed BCU, and do no one any good.

Reaction Score
The Biggest factor is the TV dollars. For the Ten, the issue is not primarily how many households does the Big Ten Network penetrate as much as how much per subscriber can they get out of the cable companies for it. In Ridgefield, I guaranty you they are not getting a fraction per subscriber as what they get in cable companies in Michigan and Nebraska because they have no leverage. The more of an eastern presence in the Ten, and, in Ridgefield, the more of a UConn presence, the better their ability to demand a higher payment from the cable companies.

Does that help?
You got any big-time corporate friends you can lobby?

Reaction Score
I've been thinking the exact same thing. And ironically the ACC presidents will be meeting face to face over the next 36 hours because of their championship game tomorrow.

It would not shock me if both UConn and Cincy took the field tomorrow - on ABC no less - with ACC invites in hand. Not saying I'm holding my breath, I just wouldn't be shocked.

Despite earlier predictions, the carousel has not stopped yet, and the Swofford knows it.

I think we need to insist on a special revenue treatment before accepting an ACC invite at this stage. If they want us now, it can't be for a mere "equal slice" of the pie. We will also need to upgrade the mascot uniform if this happens - or at least get it cleaned.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn has a bigger market than GT. Also, no competition.

Yes but the AAU factor may play a role, who knows it's all such a crapshoot and spin. The conferences are doing a better job of spinning things than most politicians.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Not com

Not likely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. Although if the B1G added Virginia, UNC, GT, and UConn...the media contract they would get would dwarf some countries GDP around the world. Plus it would completely kill off the ACC.

Reaction Score
UGA is the big dog of Georgia football. GTech is a nerdy, somewhat elitist institution that happens to be in Atlanta. I don't think Delaney will select such a school that is significantly out of the B10's geography. He isn't Marinatto and that doesn't accord with the BTN business model.

Atlanta's DMA of 2.4 m households is appealing, but to think the BTN can force carry the providers of all things yellowjackets would be a stretch.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech might have more national titles and John Heisman as a head coach in it's past, but the first collegiate football game in the south was UGA vs Auburn in 1892, if I am correct.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Does that help?

Yes, thank you.

Reaction Score
Yes but the AAU factor may play a role, who knows it's all such a crapshoot and spin. The conferences are doing a better job of spinning things than most politicians.
We'll see how that works out. We can get into the B1G and THEN get accepted into the AAU. I am going to talk to my UM doctor about this and tell him to get his UM buddies on the UConn bandwagon. He's all for UConn in the B1G. UM is one of the biggest influences in the B1G.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
For the 800th time on this board, there is no rule. They could take Alaska Anchorage if they want.
True, but Delany and the B1G don't strike me as taking an outlier straight on tv #. They are very deliberate and calculated in their movements. They're going to take teams that make sense regionally academically and athletically. UVA fits the bill. Uconn is close, but we don't have aau. I would think UVA and unc over GT plus one any day.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Don't understand the appeal of Gtech. They're not a great program, second fiddle in their state. Sounds like someone the ACC would go after.

Yes, I get Atlanta but, is that the only reason?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Yes, but who knows if ACC skips us again 4 USF, Cincy. Why would we suddenly be attractive?

This is likely followed by a full implosion so there will be many seats at the table.

I think this gets done fast

caw

Reaction Score
What do they do with GTU if UNC and UVA end up in the SEC. That would devastate GTU athletics in the long run, just like the geographic isolation has harmed BCU, and do no one any good.

Like I said, I think GT is a fallback.

I am assuming two big things, the B1G is going after at least 1 ACC school and they want to get to 16 at least.

If UNC and UVA are out of play, who else is worthy of being added from the ACC?

1. UNC - Out of play (assumption)
  2. UVA - Out of play (assumption)
  3. GT - AAU, big market, major transportation hub for easy access, downside is that they are trumped by UG.
  4. Cuse - possible (honestly next best fit, IMO), NYC already partially covered is the main downside
  5. BC - doesn't fit and athletically inept. They have shown zero interest in being decent in anything besides hockey
  6. FSU - isolated, but perhaps because of football
  7. Duke - I guess maybe, though I'm not sure Duke football is what you want to hang your hat on, also probably #2 in state at best
  8. Pitt - ground already covered
  9. VT - Not an academic fit at all
  10. WF - not a leader in the state
  11. UL - again academics
  12. Miami - I don't think they fit
  13. NCST - academics are the biggest hangup followed by them being #3 in the state
  14. ND - huge wildcard
  15. Clemson - not the leader in their state as isolated as GT, but without the major city of Atlanta
Cuse and GT would be my first choices from the ACC after UNC and UVA. I would take GT over Cuse because they add a large city with no overlap in coverage.

caw

Reaction Score
We'll see how that works out. We can get into the B1G and THEN get accepted into the AAU. I am going to talk to my UM doctor about this and tell him to get his UM buddies on the UConn bandwagon. He's all for UConn in the B1G. UM is one of the biggest influences in the B1G.

I would hope Manuel would be able to work his UM connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom