GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter | Page 5 | The Boneyard

GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't forget how the mere chattering talk of UConn to the ACC galvanized Louisville and Cincy into a full court press. That may be the Machiavelian motive behind all the leakage about GT. If the B1G wants a heretofore reluctant UNC or UVA, the thought of losing the spot to another brethren school may light the fire for reconsideration. One other point, call Ms Herbst whatever names you want but stupid isn't one of them. They will be ready for whatever comes their way this time with dollar concessions, fancy expansive plans, and a big fat powerpoint!

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want BC, they have a horrible athletics department and no fanbase. People in Boston could care less about BC.

Reaction Score
http://www.cornnation.com/2012/11/30/3711156/is-georgia-tech-next-for-the-big-ten
Boston College or UConn also would be logical, if not unspectacular, additions to the conference and it's footprint. I kind of think that with Rutgers and the collapse of the ACC, the Big Ten will probably do fairly well in the northeast from a mindset perspective. I don't know that Jim Delaney needs to add a school there to reinforce that. But it's certainly an option.
Buckle your seatbelts, because realignment is back.

The fact that UConn and BiG have entered the Twitterverse and Blogosphere in the past 24 hours is a positive thing. Cincy has also entered the mix in some Big XII speculation.

The whole reason for taking Louisville only was that UConn and Cincy would always be available. That may no longer be the case.

Swofford's MO has always been to strike in the darkness. Swofford was also the first to go to 14. Why should he let Delaney be the first to 16? As much as it may muddy the waters for our BiG asperations, I'm still thinking the ACC is going to call soon, if only to make the other two conferences maneuvering a "bit" more tricky.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want BC, they have a horrible athletics department and no fanbase. People in Boston could care less about BC.
It's not about what actually is true, it's about what is perceived to be true. It is perceived that BC has a better football program than us. It is perceived that their location and command of that location is better than ours. Whether or not either is true is very minimally relevant.

Reaction Score
Going after GT unless your using them as a ploy for bigger ACC fish or to throw down the gaunlet to the SEC makes little sense.
GT is second fiddle to the SEC's Georgia in that market. It hasn't been the B1G MO. to take secondary market schools.
On second thought exploting the culturally divide between Atlanta and the rest of the Southeast might be a long term strategic goal. If this gambit works he could destroy the ACC and weaken the SEC with one move.

Reaction Score
I would hope Manuel would be able to work his UM connections.
I'm positive he is, along with his buddy Gene Smith at tOSU. Doesn't mean that gets it done, but it does at the very least puts our "application" in front of people who can tr to advance it. Still a long shot ...IMO.

Reaction Score
Latest tweet

Greg Swaim Show (@GSwaim)
11/30/12, 3:41 PM
Getting some e-mails from a good source in Atlanta who now thinks #GT to #B1G will happen even sooner than the 7-10 days I said yesterday.

Reaction Score
Let's hope this is all smoke to get UVA off the pot. B1G is using GT to get UVA or UNC. If it is GT, we would be a long shot but we still got a chance. At this point, it might be almost wise for ACC schools to all jump ship to form a new conference to get out of that bad ESPN deal they signed.

Reaction Score
ACC will implode if this goes down, FSU, Clem will make leap

Would guess SEC moves fast too

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson aren't going to the SEC. Good grief, the only way Clemson goes to the SEC is if South Carolina gets wiped off the face of the earth.

Reaction Score
I think SEC would love UNC and UVA, but more likely NCST, VT.

FSU, Clem likely to b12.

FSU and Clemson aren't going to the SEC. Good grief, the only way Clemson goes to the SEC is if South Carolina gets wiped off the face of the earth.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Let's hope this is all smoke to get UVA off the pot. B1G is using GT to get UVA or UNC. If it is GT, we would be a long shot but we still got a chance. At this point, it might be almost wise for ACC schools to all jump ship to form a new conference to get out of that bad ESPN deal they signed.
If B!G goes for GT who else do they have in mind? They could go after Kansas I suppose and that would cause the B12 to act. They could go after several other ACC teams not named ND. And there is a long shot that they go after UConn. In all of those scenarios but one there would be enough conference movement to increase the odds of UConn getting an invite into the ACC.

Personally I was hoping Delaney wanted a northeast presence and chose VA and UConn. But he could easily choose VA and Cuse or BC and get similar results. Either way UConn looks good for a move.

If the B!G takes GT and Kansas then expect the B12 to take Cinci or FSU. If they take FSU then things might get difficult for UConn if the ACC choses USF and Cinci. This would be the worst case scenario for UConn because I believe CR stops at this point. If the B12 goes for Cinci then the ACC will take UConn. No way Miami and FSU will take USF.

If the B!G takes two ACC schools, and none of them are from Florida, UConn most likely goes to the ACC with Cinci.

Reaction Score
@theuconnblog: I like it when someone says something serious about UConn and the Big 10 because that means I can safely ignore them for eternity.

Reaction Score
Somewhat funny (and sad) watching how quickly the ACC is becoming irrelevant. Likely done and reserved to taking schools potentially like Louisville (in), Cincy (likely), USF (possible). These are not either football powers and are certainly academic debacles.

#ACCisDoneBEcircaearly2000s

Reaction Score
In your scenario of the B-10 taking GT and Kansas, I actually think it is possible that the B-12 takes Louisville rather than Cinci. Better reputation, better facilities, better location, though marginally I concede. And Louisville would, or could, pull a TCU, leave before ever playing a game. I also think the B-12 will make a play for BYU rather than taking 2 ACC teams, BYU and Boise are actually possibilities though i think that's unlikely.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
If B!G goes for GT who else do they have in mind? They could go after Kansas I suppose and that would cause the B12 to act. They could go after several other ACC teams not named ND. And there is a long shot that they go after UConn. In all of those scenarios but one there would be enough conference movement to increase the odds of UConn getting an invite into the ACC.

Personally I was hoping Delaney wanted a northeast presence and chose VA and UConn. But he could easily choose VA and Cuse or BC and get similar results. Either way UConn looks good for a move.

If the B!G takes GT and Kansas then expect the B12 to take Cinci or FSU. If they take FSU then things might get difficult for UConn if the ACC choses USF and Cinci. This would be the worst case scenario for UConn because I believe CR stops at this point. If the B12 goes for Cinci then the ACC will take UConn. No way Miami and FSU will take USF.

If the B!G takes two ACC schools, and none of them are from Florida, UConn most likely goes to the ACC with Cinci.

If FSU is out of the ACC, we will be in. Tobacco Road's oligarchs rolled over and died to keep FSU in. Clemson, they just turn and point to the door.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@theuconnblog: I like it when someone says something serious about UConn and the Big 10 because that means I can safely ignore them for eternity.
Someone rip this guy to shreds.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
man oh man it must suck to be wake in all of this

i have seen rumors on:
gt- b12 and b10
clemson-b12
fsu-b12 and sec
miami-b12
vt-sec, b10 and b12
uva-sec and b10
unc-sec and b10
ncst-sec and b12
duke-b10 and sec
cuse-b10
pitt-b12 and b10
bc-b10

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If FSU is out of the ACC, we will be in. Tobacco Road's oligarchs rolled over and died to keep FSU in. Clemson, they just turn and point to the door.
Thanks for taking away my one nightmare scenario.

Reaction Score
regarding Gary Swaim, where does he fall in terms of people to take seriously, with say Andy Katz (or someone else you may like) a 10 and MHever or whatever that dude is a 1.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
SEC wants to raise its academic profile, getting UVA and UNC would be huge.

Neither fits well culturally today, but who knows. Would UNC and UVA rather stay south?

How don't they fit with say, UGA and Florida who would be in the same division? Go to the boards...UNC folks very much want to stay southern. They hate the idea of the B1G. They also do not have any great attachment to Duke. They consider UVA their kindred school.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
regarding Gary Swaim, where does he fall in terms of people to take seriously, with say Andy Katz (or someone else you may like) a 10 and MHever or whatever that dude is a 1.
If Swaim is saying something that remotely suggests the dominoes fall in a way that is favorable to UConn, he is an 11. If not, he's a -1.

Reaction Score
The Dawgs are more popular than Tech in Georgia now, even in Atlanta. If Tech starts playing those Yankee schools, more fans will get behind theDawgs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom