GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter | The Boneyard

GaTech to the B1G Picking up steam on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oak, the next acc defection won't happen until we all find out what Maryland's negotiated exit fee will be. Once the fee has been established you will see things start to move, until then I would regard any expansion tweet with skepticism.

Reaction Score
Oak, the next acc defection won't happen until we all find out what Maryland's negotiated exit fee will be. Once the fee has been established you will see things start to move, until then I would regard any expansion tweet with skepticism.
I agree that any tweet should be viewed with skepticism, but I dont think the rats on the good ship ACC are going to wait for MD's exit fee to get litigated, they will just look at jumping as if they are on the hook for the full $50m, if the numbers make sense even with paying the 50 large, they jump. Anything less than $50m is just a bonus.

Reaction Score

As much money as it is, the $10M or $20M differential they will be fighting over is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. No one from the ACC is going to let Cincy take a seat at the table in the XII, or UConn in the 10, while they wait to see how much Maryland pays to leave.

Reaction Score
Old news.

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...i-guarantee-that-you-didnt-see-this#storyjump

You read that right, there's a rumor with a little more smoke than the other one mentioned that involves said four-letter TV network pushing on the Big Ten (or so) to add Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland, and Georgia Tech by the year 2016. Georgia Tech would be offered $25-30 million in TV revenue (from the Big 10 network), meaning travel issues would be nonexistent. The same group expects the SEC to go after NC State and Maryland, also trying to reach 16. (Personally, I get the feeling that if the SEC gets Maryland, the Big Ten goes after Virginia, while the Big Ten getting Maryland would mean the SEC would go after Virginia Tech.)

Reaction Score
UVA and UConn make sense to the Big 10. Both are state schools with good academics and expands their footprint on the eastern seaboard. UConn is a great fit now that Rutgers is in the Big Ten. I get New Jersey and Connecticut don't border but I think Big Ten could call it the "New York City" exception to border rules. Big Ten needs more teams in the east and they know that.

Reaction Score
As much money as it is, the $10M or $20M differential they will be fighting over is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. No one from the ACC is going to let Cincy take a seat at the table in the XII, or UConn in the 10, while they wait to see how much Maryland pays to leave.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. And ironically the ACC presidents will be meeting face to face over the next 36 hours because of their championship game tomorrow.

It would not shock me if both UConn and Cincy took the field tomorrow - on ABC no less - with ACC invites in hand. Not saying I'm holding my breath, I just wouldn't be shocked.

Despite earlier predictions, the carousel has not stopped yet, and the Swofford knows it.

Reaction Score
Had the ACC taken in Rutgers and UConn, the conference would have had the potential to be one of the highest paying conferences. Stupid leadership on part of the ACC. Now we have to aim for the farms of the midwest.

Reaction Score
While academically GT fist the BIG, it is still a ‘southern’ school and the BIG seems to take geography into account as all of their states touch each other. If that rule is followed, the BIG would need to take 3 schools (a school in Kentucky, Tennessee, and GT or North Carolina, South Carolina and GT). It just does not make sense. Of course, nothing except for TV revenue seems to matter right now and Atlanta is a major market (recruiting, too).
Of course, geography could be an issue for UConn, too; but, if BIG is serious about the NY/NE market, the 30 mile gap between NJ and CT should not be much of an issue. It is also a lot less than the 500 mile gap between the current BIG and GT. Unless, the BIG add Syracuse first, which would be bad for CT as the goal appears to be 16 right now and UVA appears to be the first choice and NY also borders Mass and BC (frack!).
And Clemson wants the ACC to explode to bail for the SEC (no chance due to their S Carolina issue) or the XII.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking the exact same thing. And ironically the ACC presidents will be meeting face to face over the next 36 hours because of their championship game tomorrow.

It would not shock me if both UConn and Cincy took the field tomorrow - on ABC no less - with ACC invites in hand. Not saying I'm holding my breath, I just wouldn't be shocked.

Despite earlier predictions, the carousel has not stopped yet, and the Swofford knows it.
The fuse has been lit, and the ACC knows it. Once you had a founding member saying they would bolt even with a $50m exit fee, a series of events, beyond Swoffords control, are going to happen. The ACC, in its current configuration, is a dead man walking. Its just a matter of who and when.......

Reaction Score
I saw two today confirming that also. Many more credible sources have reported also. 4.5mm cable households in GA, huge $$ for BGN

Who is # 16? UNC, UVA, Cuse, UConn, ND?

It's on twitter, it must be true:

Tim_Matty247@Tim_Matty247
Sources are indicating that the #B1G has approved #GT as its 15th member. Stay tuned... @CFravel247 @Clemson247

Football analyst for Clemson 247 featuring Cemetery Hill - part of the 247 Sports network.
Charlotte, NC · http://www.clemson.247sports.com

Reaction Score
The fuse has been lit, and the ACC knows it. Once you had a founding member saying they would bolt even with a $50m exit fee, a series of events, beyond Swoffords control, are going to happen. The ACC, in its current configuration, is a dead man walking. Its just a matter of who and when.......

And if you are an ACC team angling for a Big XII or BiG invite, the best way to keep yourself in the running is to take the two remaining Big East teams with decent markets, and little legal "baggage" off the board.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm with BL. No one's waiting just to see their price tag for exiting. They will go then pay later. There is a definite cap to the fee- 50 mill. As long as a school is prepared to pony up 50 large, Maryland's court case only serves to lower any other school's fee from there.

GT has long been rumored to go B1G. Not saying this rumor has any credibility but it wouldn't surprise me to see another team leave the ACC so quick.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
4.5mm cable households in GA, huge $$ for BGN

Yeah, where the majority are Bulldogs fans. Am I the only one having a gigantic problem believing this rumor?? And keep in mind that I've just seen Maryland and Rutgers go to the B1G, and I'm STILL having problems believing Georgia Tech. Everything feels wrong about it after analyzing it, and normally that says to me that it can't be true. Is this a smoke-screen for another team in the ACC or elsewhere? Who the hell really understands realignment anymore....:confused:

Reaction Score
Good read. Would explain the constant interest in UNC. Maybe they hold out for Texas. ALot of headaches with Texas though.

Of note: "More will be shifting from the high-priced, low-growth big metros for opportunity cities such as Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Raleigh and Charlotte."
The ACC up.

Reaction Score
They only reason they are currently Bulldog fans is because Georgia keeps running over Georgia Tech in football. However the extra 10 million could buy a top notch coach who would bring in top notch recruits to deal with Georgia. Plus this hides the fact that Georgia Tech was once again run over by Georgia for the year... it will quickly be forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom