Gary Apple, UConn, and South Carolina | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gary Apple, UConn, and South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know the poster is just trying to get a reaction with his usual tripe, but geesh when the backup PG plays 21 minutes (MoJeff got 18) and the team hits 100, there really isn't much too complain about. Just ask Geno, who's hard pressed at halftime and after games to work up a believable "we really need to get really really better at this" type of statement for public consumption. Sure Saniya has been a "mystery" at times this year, but the ending to this mystery is beginning to look pretty good, and Geno doesn't have her running the floor for 21 minutes because the team "falls apart" when they play. The lead just keeps growing.

Courtney can look a little klutzy and hurried when she first hits the court, but after missing so much time it's understandable that it takes her a while to feel the rhythm. By the end of the game she's looking more and more like she's going to be going gangbusters when she is fully back in shape and has logged more minutes. And there was that beautiful moment in last night's game when KML had a brainfart and threw up a 3pt airball, and the UCF faithful started their airball chant, and Courtney shuts them up by nailing a 3. That's the way for a freshman to pick up her senior teammate, not that KML needed to be picked up a lot last night.
KML shot an airball?

Unbelievable!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
KML shot an airball?

Unbelievable!
If looked at in a different way it was maybe a long distance pass attempt to Courtney under the basket, but she collected the ball and took it back outside. She buried a 3 17 seconds later, putting an end to the Airball chants about KML's shot. Who threw a long cross-court pass to Courtney and got an assist on her 3? KML of course.

The play starts a few seconds after the airball by KML on the ESPN video from UConn's team page at: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12207853 The link cannot be embedded. Titled: 2H CONN C. Ekmark made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by K. Mosqueda-Lewis

Reaction Score
And USC isn't the "undisputed #1" as long as voters give their #1 votes to other teams....for that to happen, USC would have to hold 100% of the #1 votes in both polls....
Maybe we have a semantics issue here. To me, 100% of the #1 votes, means unanimous. If one accessed each weeks poll results from both polls since Nov. 24 there would be absolutely no question as to what team occupied the #1 spot. To me, that's indisputable.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'll stay up all night concocting every excuse in the book!!!
Maybe try "The dog ate my players." Usually works pretty well.

But in this game I think it's going to be the Husky dog saying after the game, "Tastes like chicken."

Reaction Score
I know the poster is just trying to get a reaction with his usual tripe, but geesh when the backup PG plays 21 minutes (MoJeff got 18) and the team hits 100, there really isn't much too complain about. Just ask Geno, who's hard pressed at halftime and after games to work up a believable "we really need to get really really better at this" type of statement for public consumption. Sure Saniya has been a "mystery" at times this year, but the ending to this mystery is beginning to look pretty good, and Geno doesn't have her running the floor for 21 minutes because the team "falls apart" when they play. The lead just keeps growing.

Courtney can look a little klutzy and hurried when she first hits the court, but after missing so much time it's understandable that it takes her a while to feel the rhythm. By the end of the game she's looking more and more like she's going to be going gangbusters when she is fully back in shape and has logged more minutes. And there was that beautiful moment in last night's game when KML had a brainfart and threw up a 3pt airball, and the UCF faithful started their airball chant, and Courtney shuts them up by nailing a 3. That's the way for a freshman to pick up her senior teammate, not that KML needed to be picked up a lot last night.
I liked the part in "The Geno Auriemma Show" where they ask him about Saniya and he says she's a "mystery" to him. LOL!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The margins UConn wins by are flawed by Geno calling off the dogs and stopping the fast break and leaving the starters in . The scoring margin could be much higher. For those who think they have a chance are dreamin. UConn is much better then on paper.

Reaction Score
The margins UConn wins by are flawed by Geno calling off the dogs and stopping the fast break and leaving the starters in . The scoring margin could be much higher. For those who think they have a chance are dreamin. UConn is much better then on paper.
Geno also goes to a zone defense when he's calling off the dogs.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can see some plausible scenarios where UConn might lose:

1. Morgan is not able to deal with SC's size at either end of the floor, so she is ineffective at both ends.
2. Any of Stewie / Morgan / Kiah get into foul trouble and have to sit for extended minutes.
3. UConn's outside shooting is ice cold.

It would probably take 2 of these 3 things happening (or 2 of 3 UConn bigs getting into foul trouble) to make the game into a probable Gamecock victory. I'm not even sure that #1 and #2 together would give SC a chance unless #3 is also true.

Reaction Score
I can see some plausible scenarios where UConn might lose:

1. Morgan is not able to deal with SC's size at either end of the floor, so she is ineffective at both ends.
2. Any of Stewie / Morgan / Kiah get into foul trouble and have to sit for extended minutes.
3. UConn's outside shooting is ice cold.

It would probably take 2 of these 3 things happening (or 2 of 3 UConn bigs getting into foul trouble) to make the game into a probable Gamecock victory. I'm not even sure that #1 and #2 together would give SC a chance unless #3 is also true.

You did say "probably" BUT - it (2 of 3 things happening) also means you think it is possible that SC can win if Kiah Stokes gets into foul trouble and has to sit for extended minutes while Morgan is able to deal with SC along with UCONN's outside shooting is NOT cold? So to paraphrase UCONN does 1 and 3 while Kiah is the one in foul trouble, you give SC a decent chance in this scenario?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Bottom line is South Carolina can not score over 60 pts against UConn and South Carolina can not keep UConn from Scoring under 60 pts. UConns pressure on the ball and ability to make life miserable for Mitchell will be the UConn keys. UConn has way to many scorers who can put up big numbers to shut them down and UConn can inside and out.

Reaction Score
I may be delusional, but I think it will be a good game.

I believe (hope) UConn prevails, but I think SC has the talent to make it an interesting affair, especially if Mitchell and Welch are hitting shots.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
South Carolina has played in some close games against decent competition on the road. Say what you want about what that means, but if nothing else they are battle tested and have proven that they can pull out the close game in a hostile environment. I really doubt Storrs is going to be any more imposing than the Cameron Crazies or the bourbon drunk crowd at Rupp. It was a good decision to have the game at Storrs so at least the students can be there, rather than at one of the other CT sites where the crowds are generally full of older folks.
Because of SC's lack of ball handlers and UCOnns press which takes time to break not allowing opponents offenses to have the full 30 seconds will be a contributing factor to SC not being able to get their offense flowing smoothly. I expect a bunch of turnovers. Im not sure playing at UConn will intimidate SC. However UConns quickness on defense will. SC is battle tested because of their close games and those close games wouldn't have been against UConn. SC is a very good team with a lot of talent however UConn is far more superior as a team with chemistry. Gotta wonder how SC can keep up with UConns quickness. Its gonna come down to UCOnns defense and we've seen to many times how they snuff out the key scorers and disrupt opponents offenses. Hey UConn beats good teams like ND and Duke by a lot. SC doesn't. ND is a very good team and Duke is a very tall team and UConn had no problems with either of them. What is it that SC can do to stop UConn from scoring 70+ pts? I don't think they can and I know they cant score 70+ pts against UConn and they will need to do that to win.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
After the Stanford game, we were reminded of UConn's poor record in close games....

Reaction Score
Because of SC's lack of ball handlers and UCOnns press which takes time to break not allowing opponents offenses to have the full 30 seconds will be a contributing factor to SC not being able to get their offense flowing smoothly. I expect a bunch of turnovers. Im not sure playing at UConn will intimidate SC. However UConns quickness on defense will. SC is battle tested because of their close games and those close games wouldn't have been against UConn. SC is a very good team with a lot of talent however UConn is far more superior as a team with chemistry. Gotta wonder how SC can keep up with UConns quickness. Its gonna come down to UCOnns defense and we've seen to many times how they snuff out the key scorers and disrupt opponents offenses. Hey UConn beats good teams like ND and Duke by a lot. SC doesn't. ND is a very good team and Duke is a very tall team and UConn had no problems with either of them. What is it that SC can do to stop UConn from scoring 70+ pts? I don't think they can and I know they cant score 70+ pts against UConn and they will need to do that to win.
I'm predicting a close UConn win. Something on the order of 6 or 8 points since it is one of the few true home games (at Storrs) UConn plays. South Carolina can score 60+ points against UConn. Powerhouses like Creighton and Tulsa have done it, and Temple almost did it just a couple of weeks ago. I'm guessing the #1 team in the country has a slightly better offense than any AAC or Big East team. It's true UConn's offense is tough to slow, but St. John's nearly held UConn to less than 70 points in what was one of the closer games of the season thus far. One thing that is overlooked is UConn is not very deep. Stokes is great for defense, but then you're playing 4 on 5 like when Kelly Faris was out there. Gabby is the next option, and I don't think Geno trusts her in big games just yet, so she will not be a factor. That's it for posts off the bench. As for guards off the bench, we don't have any capable ones yet. UConn does have a somewhat versatile starting 5 in that you can play Stewie, Tuck, and KML effectively in different spots on the floor to help cover any bench needs. If any of the starters get 3 fouls on them in the first half though, it's going to be big trouble. This is not going to be us vs. a team that considers a big a 6-0 player, or a game we're up double digits 2+ minutes in. This game will be more like some of the ND battles of a couple of seasons ago.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think South Carolina will put up 50+ on UConn. Just like Creighton, Green Bay, Vandy, USF, Temple, DePaul, Tulsa, and St. John's were able to. I think South Carolina has a slightly better offense than those teams. Even the depleted UCF team we just played almost put up 50 on UConn.
South Carolina scoring avg vs unranked teams - 82
South Carolina scoring avg vs ranked teams - 66

UConn scoring avg vs unranked teams - 92
UConn scoring avg vs ranked teams - 82 :cool:

Seriously, I'm not predicting anything (I'm a jinx, big time) but I give UConn an edge in big game experience and, frankly, coaching.

And triad - there were 6004 at Cameron; I think UConn fans will be able to beat that number by 3000-4000.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow. Well I'll go more with Sagarin Predictor 17 point margin or Massey's 15 points at this time. In those ND battles of olden times, the predicted margin was close to 0 and sometimes negative.

So you're saying that Gabby the rebound machine and put-back artist isn't capable of playing against USCar? That the offense suffers with Kiah in there (just look at which way the score goes when she's in there in the big games)? That after a few good games lately including the last 13 point effort that Saniya won't see any time against USCar's guards (the Gamecocks are stronger in the post)? That an uptempo game like Tulsa where the starters were averaging 22 minutes has a profound connection to a USCar game where the starters will be averaging at least 10 minutes more? That a team that has 9 players averaging 10+ minutes is somehow a team with depth problems? That a team like USCar that is used to getting blocked 3.2 times a game won't be affected by UConn's Swat machine?

Okay, sure.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I'm predicting a close UConn win. Something on the order of 6 or 8 points since it is one of the few true home games (at Storrs) UConn plays. South Carolina can score 60+ points against UConn. Powerhouses like Creighton and Tulsa have done it, and Temple almost did it just a couple of weeks ago. I'm guessing the #1 team in the country has a slightly better offense than any AAC or Big East team. It's true UConn's offense is tough to slow, but St. John's nearly held UConn to less than 70 points in what was one of the closer games of the season thus far. One thing that is overlooked is UConn is not very deep. Stokes is great for defense, but then you're playing 4 on 5 like when Kelly Faris was out there. Gabby is the next option, and I don't think Geno trusts her in big games just yet, so she will not be a factor. That's it for posts off the bench. As for guards off the bench, we don't have any capable ones yet. UConn does have a somewhat versatile starting 5 in that you can play Stewie, Tuck, and KML effectively in different spots on the floor to help cover any bench needs. If any of the starters get 3 fouls on them in the first half though, it's going to be big trouble. This is not going to be us vs. a team that considers a big a 6-0 player, or a game we're up double digits 2+ minutes in. This game will be more like some of the ND battles of a couple of seasons ago.
Good Stats Nan. The reason Creighton and Tulsa scored over 60 pts is because Geno pulled off the press and fast break and made UConn hold the ball and work on half court setups. Geno has done this frequently as not to rub it in. He also played more then 6-7 players. This is what I mean by calling off the dogs. Against SC I see Stokes getting a lot of minutes Chong and Williams getting some. He wont do that against SC unless it is late in the game and UConn is up a bunch. St Johns was a quick team that shot the ball very well. SC is not quick. The game was never in question. You mentioned UConn is not very deep. They haven't been but they are in terrific condition that's nothing new. It will be interesting to see how many players Dawn plays against UConn and how effective they are. I do expect Wilson to see a lot of minutes. Saniya is very capable coming off the bench. She is a good ball handler and makes few mistakes. No she hasn't been scoring a lot of points consistently but this is more of a game of not making mistakes and for SC against UConns defense they will.

Finally SC is a very good team. They've played a lot of close games where UConn has blow out a lot of very good teams. I do expect UConn to win this game by double digits and by over 20 pts. I did say in another post by 25+ I believe that because UConn has 5 starters who can put up big points inside and out and their defense is so quick especially when the ball goes down low. No I don't expect UConn to be in foul trouble. I do expect Uconns defense to force SC to take more outside shots and Mitchell not being one of them because of their defense. SC is averaging 66 pts against ranked teams. That's not UConn defense. Against UConns defense I think SC scores less then 66 pts . Now UConn is averaging 82 pts against ranked teams. Do you really think that SC can hold UConn under 75pts. Thus my prediction.

They key will be how does SC defend UConn on the perimeter and keep them from penetrating. SC defense will have their hands full one on one with UConn. SC is not a good 3 pt shooting team. If they ball goes inside like it did against TAM UConn has the bigs (which TAM didn't) and the guards who can double down not allowing SC bigs to put the ball on the floor or make an interior pass. UConn can do that because there is no fear of SC making a good percentage of their treys. This is nothing new we have seen this over the years and this season against ND and Duke. Don't get all caught up in the hype of 1 vs 2. This is UConn and UConn is at a level that no other team in WCBB has ever been. This is an explosive team that can get hot and put up a lot of points in a few minutes. Don't be surprised if SC scores 55 pts or less and UConn scores 75+. IT will interesting to see how long SC can hang with UConn and when UConn goes on one of their runs how SC reacts.

Reaction Score
South Carolina scoring avg vs unranked teams - 82
South Carolina scoring avg vs ranked teams - 66

UConn scoring avg vs unranked teams - 92
UConn scoring avg vs ranked teams - 82 :cool:

Seriously, I'm not predicting anything (I'm a jinx, big time) but I give UConn an edge in big game experience and, frankly, coaching.

And triad - there were 6004 at Cameron; I think UConn fans will be able to beat that number by 3000-4000.
All it's going to take for UConn to lose is for Dee to blow that whistle an extra time in the first half on Tuck or Nurse who both have tendencies to pick up fouls in bunches. I think they've both fouled out of a game this year. Like I said, I think UConn wins, but I don't see it being a 25+ blow out. South Carolina may be inconsistent, but they've got a lot of talent and the coach isn't half bad either. With a little experience this year, they're going to be right up there with us and ND for the next few years, so I'm not willing to dismiss them as Huskies roadkill just yet.

Reaction Score

I don't know what the score is going to be whether it be close or not but I can't see UCONN losing unless the perfect storm hits. I think the bench concern is extremely overrated. Sure it can affect us- and sure foul trouble can be concern but that is always a "concern" every time we've played a decent team every year. Kiah Stokes is a "professional basketball player" for all intents and purposes- she is going to be playing WNBA ball this year. SO why is the professional player going to be extremely ineffective playing the style she is most comfortable with (not like Stanford)? There is no way I agree with Stokes is like Kelly Faris her 1st few years.

Secondly, does one think that Morgan Tuck is going to get manhandled and be totally ineffective due to their size? She had 13 points shot 6-9 from the floor and had 7 rebounds vs Duke. Of course anything is possible -- but for those of that thinks she can be very effective then-- what chance do you think those of us give USC in terms of beating UCONN at home? Teams tend to (of course not always) play a lot better at home.

And we can turn this around too. They-- USC- seem to be very formidable on paper when they have Mitchell, Roy, Welch, Coates and Wilson though I'm not sure they ever used that lineup. Without these 5 players on the floor it can also be said it is 5 on 4 just as but much more as a counter to when "Kiah Stokes is in for UCONN its 5 on 4." For the record I don't believe it is 5 on 4 when Kiah is in.

A final note- this is a nationally televised game 1 vs 2 - we're playing at home. A display for wcbb. I just can't see the refs making an overt point to call every picky foul and turn the game into foul fest either. So we get into foul trouble by picky calls -- I don't think is going to be the mindset of the refs. With that said they call a hand check vs us - or a picky foul they have to do the same for them. If we can't be physical with them on defense they can't be physical vs Stewart at the other. If you are going to allow them to be physical then what is the chance at home that the refs aren't going to allow UCONN to be physical also?

Reaction Score
How many of you saw the loss to Stanford coming? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
How many of you saw the loss to Stanford coming? Just wondering.

How many times did the same people see victory in some cases and blowouts in other cases and they happened?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Again, getting back to actual facts rather than those impressionistic type feelings that can sometimes lead us astray into making errant statements, what's with the foul hang-ups?

UConn is #2 in the nation in least personal fouls, and no player including Tuck and Nurse are even averaging 2 PFs a game. So why say things such as that certain players pick up fouls in chunks? Just doesn't happen and you shouldn't be spreading patently false info on the net. USCar is also very stingy with fouls, as they are #11 at this point, though Ibiam is the one player on either team that averages more than 2 PFs a game. But fouls just don't look like they should be a major factor in this game with two of the least fouling teams in the country going at it.

We can all dream up Chicken Little situations like what if all the players pick up 4 fouls right away, or they start shooting at the wrong basket, or all have a bad hair day, but maybe it's better to deal a little more closely with reality. Should be a good game, but dreaming up frightening and highly unusual situations and pretending that they're normal is just a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom