Gandy Malou-Mamel on Ireland’s U20 team, will play July 6-14 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gandy Malou-Mamel on Ireland’s U20 team, will play July 6-14

Reaction Score
Ireland needs passing drills. Hours of them
Part of me wants to excuse the bad passes to their youth, with is somewhat of an excuse, but I am getting the same vibes as watching Jana's Egypt teams. It seems many of the young players just don't know how to play with a true big and have no clue as to how to feed the post. In both cases I wish Ireland and Egypt had a Nika like player so we could better judge their low post capabilities.

I like what I am seeing from Gandy in many areas, but between the poor post passing and opponents double teaming and fouling her on the rare times they do feed the post, we may not get to see much of her low post game. Both Gandy when she gets here and Jana should have much more room to operate at Uconn when the defenses won't be able to focus just on them. I like the fact she goes up quickly and decisively when she gets the ball inside and with her physical skills think there is a decent chance she could be a go to low post threat in time. The rest of her game is very promising, add that piece and she could be really good.

Reaction Score
Gandy Malou-Mamel: 2024 U20 EuroBasket (through 2 games):
  • Minutes: 22.60 (4th)
  • EFFscore: 26.5 (1st)
  • Rebounds: 14.5 (1st)
  • Assists: 1.0 (Tie 8th)
  • Steals: 1.5 (Tie 3rd)
  • Blocks: 2.5 (1st)
  • Turnovers: 2.0 (Tie 7th)
  • 2 Pt %: 75.0% (1st)
  • 3 Pt %: 0.0% (Tie 3rd)
  • FT %: 40.0% (Tie 5th)
  • FGA: 10.0 (Tie 2nd)
Ireland: 2024 U20 EuroBasket: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The Ireland-Chechnya game will be a tough one. Chechnya beat Switzerland by 10, and is currently up about 10 on Slovakia in the 2nd quarter. Based on the scores alone the seem to be fairly evenly matched...

Reaction Score
Great job by Ireland and Gandy!

When is the Czechnia game?
Czechia vs Ireland is MONDAY MORNING at 6 AM (currently, but these
times do change!) Czechia is ranked # 13 (in theory, much better than IRELAND)
Czechia beat common foe Switzerland 76 - 66 with Ireland also winning over the
Swiss: 78 - 71. The Czeschins won in the fourth quarter, coming from behind in that quarter
17 - 4!! Big variance in free throws. For the game Czechia had 22/33 from
the charity stripe. They have height: Emma Cechova is 6'5" 195 cm. She
played 21 minutes with 7 points on 3/4 two pointers. They also have a
6'4" player: # 19, who played 6 minutes with 2 points. Neither is a big rebounder.
Their big scorers are # 24, 5'1 1with 23points on Sat. 15, and # 15, 5' 10"
with 15 points on Sat. Finally, there is # 3, a 6'0" Power forward who played 28
minutes and had 12 points.
So, we will be seeing GANDY against a highly ranked team with
some BIG GIRLS to compete against! Remember to tune in early
, around 5:50 AM !!!, to hear the IRISH TEAM give out their (NOW FAMOUS,
to me) squad cheer just after the National Anthems and before the pre-
tip off handshakes. P.S. INES Plays at 12:30 today. Husky Nan (almost)
promises a win for the Portuguese!! If you're a fan of Montegreno ( vs Portugal ) make
sure you are given at least 40 points to cover!

Reaction Score
After watching Gandy play for two years now I've seen great progress in many areas of her game.......that said, she tends to stand around observing a bit too much and still needs to increase her aggression at both ends of the floor........at 6'5" with good athleticism she should be an even more dominating presence defensively and in the low block offensively........ I hope she gets some top notch training this Summer to develop her low post moves and mid range shooting......

Reaction Score
After watching Gandy play for two years now I've seen great progress in many areas of her game.......that said, she tends to stand around observing a bit too much and still needs to increase her aggression at both ends of the floor........at 6'5" with good athleticism she should be an even more dominating presence defensively and in the low block offensively........ I hope she gets some top notch training this Summer to develop her low post moves and mid range shooting......
It's pretty difficult to be a low post presence offensively when she's playing in a 5 out offense that requires her to space the floor out to the 3 line while having no adequate passers to get her the ball when she does make her flashes to the paint. Plus she's providing almost all of Ireland's interior defense while only playing about half the game. Her on ball defense against smaller players in space has been outstanding also.

Reaction Score
It's pretty difficult to be a low post presence offensively when she's playing in a 5 out offense that requires her to space the floor out to the 3 line while having no adequate passers to get her the ball when she does make her flashes to the paint. Plus she's providing almost all of Ireland's interior defense while only playing about half the game. Her on ball defense against smaller players in space has been outstanding also.
she's made great strides in many areas of her game but in addition to developing some legit go-to offensive moves, she needs to improve her focus and be even more aggressive in establishing position on the glass.........I'm hoping she gets some quality instruction in addition to simply playing in tournaments this Summer........the next few months are when players develop their skills..........I'll be looking forward to watching her final high school season..........the big question is will she be simply a backup post at UConn or a central figure in the team's future?

Reaction Score
she's made great strides in many areas of her game but in addition to developing some legit go-to offensive moves, she needs to improve her focus and be even more aggressive in establishing position on the glass.........I'm hoping she gets some quality instruction in addition to simply playing in tournaments this Summer........the next few months are when players develop their skills..........I'll be looking forward to watching her final high school season..........the big question is will she be simply a backup post at UConn or a central figure in the team's future?
I think she's doing a pretty good job of this since she's getting 14.5 RPG playing only half the game. And about half of them are on the offensive boards. That's pretty good positioning.

Reaction Score
Czechia is GOOD. They were well prepared and had a good
scouting report and the Irish's tendencies. Ireland is COLD,
repeat of poor passing. Credit to the Czechins: they are
quick, great passing, hit the open player... and it appears
that they all can shoot... and run the floor. Their best player
( by height) #22 was taken out at 4:40 of the first quarter
because she was NOT needed! Gandy came in at 5:45 not
part of the offense as of yet.

Reaction Score
Czechia is GOOD. They were well prepared and had a good
scouting report and the Irish's tendencies. Ireland is COLD,
repeat of poor passing. Credit to the Czechins: they are
quick, great passing, hit the open player... and it appears
that they all can shoot... and run the floor. Their best player
( by height) #22 was taken out at 4:40 of the first quarter
because she was NOT needed! Gandy came in at 5:45 not
part of the offense as of yet.
First Quarter Czechia 29 Ireland 12 Gandy 5minutes 45 seconds,
one free throw, two rebounds : one offensive, one steal, one foul,
and an efficiency of three. It will be a LONG MORNING!

Reaction Score
Near the end of the second period: Czechia 40 Ireland 20
Gandy with three points Five rebounds three offensive,
one steal, one foul, efficiency up to 6. Ireland is
being out rebounded 23 to 16, Field goal %
Czechia approx 55% to Irelands 33 % and three point
shooting Czechia 33 % and Ireland 25 %
I anticipate Ireland vs Ukraine in the next round
after a day's rest. Ukraine is my favorite for the B 1 slot
with Ireland earning the A 2 slot for the matchup.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The guy on the left has been working with Gandy. It shows in her fundamentals

IMG_3097.jpeg

Reaction Score
I've met him many times at various NJ high school basketball events over the years.........he's as good as it gets........
I'm from N.J. and all the H.S. teams would dread coming up against St. Patrick's of Jersey City. Great Team
coached by a great coach!

Reaction Score
Gandy Malou-Mamel: 2024 U20 EuroBasket (through 3 games):
  • Minutes: 22.50 (4th)
  • EFFscore: 20.3 (1st)
  • Rebounds: 11.7 (1st)
  • Assists: 0.7 (Tie 9th)
  • Steals: 1.3 (Tie 3rd)
  • Blocks: 1.7 (1st)
  • Turnovers: 2.3 (Tie 7th)
  • 2 Pt %: 73.7% (1st)
  • 3 Pt %: 0.0% (Tie 6th)
  • FT %: 46.2% (8th)
  • FGA: 6.3 (5th)
Ireland: 2024 U20 EuroBasket: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |

Reaction Score
I'm from N.J. and all the H.S. teams would dread coming up against St. Patrick's of Jersey City. Great Team
coached by a great coach!
Saint Anthony’s. Saint Patrick’s was a different school in a different area. Neither school exists anymore, although The Patrick School emerged from the ashes of Saint Patrick’s.

Reaction Score
Gandy Malou-Mamel: 2024 U20 EuroBasket (through 3 games):
  • Minutes: 22.50 (4th)
  • EFFscore: 20.3 (1st)
  • Rebounds: 11.7 (1st)
  • Assists: 0.7 (Tie 9th)
  • Steals: 1.3 (Tie 3rd)
  • Blocks: 1.7 (1st)
  • Turnovers: 2.3 (Tie 7th)
  • 2 Pt %: 73.7% (1st)
  • 3 Pt %: 0.0% (Tie 6th)
  • FT %: 46.2% (8th)
  • FGA: 6.3 (5th)
Correction: Time Change

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom