Gandy Malou-Mamel on Ireland’s U20 team, will play July 6-14 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gandy Malou-Mamel on Ireland’s U20 team, will play July 6-14

Reaction Score
I'm from N.J. and all the H.S. teams would dread coming up against St. Patrick's of Jersey City. Great Team
coached by a great coach!
Actually, My wife says it was St. Anthony's in Jersey City.

Reaction Score
Saint Anthony’s. Saint Patrick’s was a different school in a different area. Neither school exists anymore, although The Patrick School emerged from the ashes of Saint Patrick’s.
Thank You, My mistake!

Reaction Score

Well-spoken young women!!! Nice to hear someone pronounce
" GANDY MALOU- MAMEL" and to hear Gandy's voice...... She 'sounds'
like a natural/ good fit for UCONN. Also, Gandy is a good "SIZE" fit, not to
ignore her FIBA STATS (posted above). Go IRELAND BEAT UKRAINE!

Reaction Score
Czechia is GOOD. They were well prepared and had a good
scouting report and the Irish's tendencies. Ireland is COLD,
repeat of poor passing. Credit to the Czechins: they are
quick, great passing, hit the open player... and it appears
that they all can shoot... and run the floor. Their best player
( by height) #22 was taken out at 4:40 of the first quarter
because she was NOT needed! Gandy came in at 5:45 not
part of the offense as of yet.
I'm confused, someone help me out here. Czechia = good, Slovakia = bad. Did someone screw up the divorce?

Reaction Score
I'm confused, someone help me out here. Czechia = good, Slovakia = bad. Did someone screw up the divorce?

Czechia has twice the population of Slovakia and a much better economy. Also has Prague and suburbs, where a lot of the basketball players can be found.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t understand Ireland’s offensive or defensive strategies.

Reaction Score
Thank You, My mistake!
St. Anthony (singular) Jersey City was coached by Bob Hurley Sr. (both Bob Hurley Jr. and Danny played for their father there, Bobby on a national championship team) and St. Patrick's (Elizabeth) was coached by Kevin Boyle, current coach of perennial national champion Monteverde Academy in Florida and constant rival. St. Anthony had several #1 teams in the nation and numerous state championships and St. Patrick's had its share. For just a couple of current NBA players, we have Kyrie Irving from St. Pat's and Kyle Anderson from St. Anthony. They met almost annually in the state Parochial B North Jersey finals which was always unfortunate because in those days it was usually 3 rounds away from the overall state championship game , since abolished (we only have group championships now supposedly due to financial reasons). I was at the famous game when St. Pat's #1 in the country was beaten by St. Anthony #2 in the country on a sick out of bounds play by Bob Hurley Sr. which I will never forget. St. Anthony had the ball and Hurley signaled to the exact spot on the sideline he wanted a time out called. It was a series of picks and all of a sudden a player was free going down the lane for a dunk. Hurley said later that he hadn't used the play in 2 years. St. Pat's had Kidd Gilchrist and other successful D1 players and St. Anthony had Anderson and the same. A great book on Hurley and the program is The Miracle at St. Anthony.

Reaction Score
First Quarter Ireland 16 Ukraine 15
Gandy with two points 2/2 on free throws
One rebound, 0/1 shooting.
Frenetic play, a lot of physical contact.
Ukraine hit some threes to stage a mini
comeback.

Reaction Score
Saint Anthony’s. Saint Patrick’s was a different school in a different area. Neither school exists anymore, although The Patrick School emerged from the ashes of Saint Patrick’s.
That's right. Still producing great players. The name Adama Sanogo might ring a bell.

Reaction Score
First Quarter Ireland 16 Ukraine 15
Gandy with two points 2/2 on free throws
One rebound, 0/1 shooting.
Frenetic play, a lot of physical contact.
Ukraine hit some threes to stage a mini
comeback.
Half TIME Ireland 33 Ukraine 27
Gandy 10:44 seconds two points on 2/2 free throws
o/1 on field goals One turn over ( double dribble)
Two rebounds, no blocks, no steals, EFFICIENTY 2
Multiple ties in the second Q, Ireland pulls ahead
at the end with some clutch shots with Ukraine having
close in shots bouncing off the rim. This could be
a Barnburner, or Ireland could pull away... stay tuned!

Reaction Score
End of Third Q IRELAND 50 Ukraine 40
Gandy: 17 minutes 13 seconds
Two points on 2/ 2 free throws
0/1 field goals, Three rebounds, one turnover
o assists, o steals efficiency 3
Grady showing good sharp passes. She is
guarding on the perimeter with nice quickness.
On Offense IRELAND does not have a PLAN
to get it into her!!??

Reaction Score
I don’t understand Ireland’s offensive or defensive strategies.
Me too. It seems to me that Gandy is away from the basket way too much on offense and defense. When the opponent draws her outside, they look to feed someone down low, and on offense one of the teams best offensive weapons is Gandy's offensive rebounds and putbacks. Also puzzled by playing time which doesn't seem based on performance, not just with Gandy but others as well.

Reaction Score
St. Anthony (singular) Jersey City was coached by Bob Hurley Sr. (both Bob Hurley Jr. and Danny played for their father there, Bobby on a national championship team) and St. Patrick's (Elizabeth) was coached by Kevin Boyle, current coach of perennial national champion Monteverde Academy in Florida and constant rival. St. Anthony had several #1 teams in the nation and numerous state championships and St. Patrick's had its share. For just a couple of current NBA players, we have Kyrie Irving from St. Pat's and Kyle Anderson from St. Anthony. They met almost annually in the state Parochial B North Jersey finals which was always unfortunate because in those days it was usually 3 rounds away from the overall state championship game , since abolished (we only have group championships now supposedly due to financial reasons). I was at the famous game when St. Pat's #1 in the country was beaten by St. Anthony #2 in the country on a sick out of bounds play by Bob Hurley Sr. which I will never forget. St. Anthony had the ball and Hurley signaled to the exact spot on the sideline he wanted a time out called. It was a series of picks and all of a sudden a player was free going down the lane for a dunk. Hurley said later that he hadn't used the play in 2 years. St. Pat's had Kidd Gilchrist and other successful D1 players and St. Anthony had Anderson and the same. A great book on Hurley and the program is The Miracle at St. Anthony.
Saw the game on live tv
Completely remember the out of bounds play right in front of st Anthony’s bench
Also remember thinking that st Anthony’s played defense like a college team

Reaction Score
FINAL SCORE IRELAND 69 Ukraine 56
Gandy Stats: 19 minutes and 55 seconds
Four points on 1 for three shooting and 2/2 free throws
6 rebounds 3 offensive, one foul, Efficiency seven.
When the Irish finally got the ball into Gandy on
the low post for a one on one isolation.. she walked! OUCH.
A lot fouls called Ukraine commited about 26 fouls with
one player # 8 fouling out. Sara Hickey for The IRISH
with 22 points. A nice mixture of good play by many of
the Irish. However again somewhat undisciplined in
their passing. Uptempo play , but not very aesthetic!
Survive and Advance. UKRAINE was undefeated 3 -0 in
the B group. A little telling out the level of play in
the B Division. ONWARD! GO IRISH! GO GANDY!

Reaction Score
Tomorrow 8:30 AM ( but times sometime change!)
Ireland vs Iceland Common Opponent: Czechia
Czechia 80 - Ireland 43 Czechia 67 - Iceland 61
PPG Ireland 70.7 vs Iceland 65
Rebounds Ireland 52.3 vs Iceland 41
Assists Ireland 19 vs Iceland 12.5
Turnovers IRELAND 27.7 !!! vs Iceland 16.8
Note: Ireland had 29 turnovers vs Czechia!!
Blocks Ireland 3.3 vs Iceland 1.3
Efficiency Ireland 73.3 vs Iceland 61
The other stats are less revealing ( at least to me!)
My guess BELGIUM vs Czechia in the Finals
IRELAND IN in SEMI vs ??? ( a repeat of Ukraine or Iceland?)

Reaction Score
Gandy Malou-Mamel: 2024 U20 EuroBasket (through 4 games):
  • Minutes: 21.80 (4th)
  • EFFscore: 17.0 (1st)
  • Rebounds: 10.3 (1st)
  • Assists: 0.5 (10th)
  • Steals: 1.0 (Tie 5th)
  • Blocks: 1.3 (1st)
  • Turnovers: 2.0 (Tie 7th)
  • 2 Pt %: 68.2% (1st)
  • 3 Pt %: 0.0% (Tie 7th)
  • FT %: 53.3% (6th)
  • FGA: 5.5 (5th)
Ireland: 2024 U20 EuroBasket: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |

Reaction Score
Saw the game on live tv
Completely remember the out of bounds play right in front of st Anthony’s bench
Also remember thinking that st Anthony’s played defense like a college team
Better than a college team. The Tournament of Champions game used to be at Meadowlands Arena. I went every year. I remember watching the team that was written about in the book having actual plays on defense. It was beautiful. He would hold up a number and suddenly there would be a pinch double right past half court and everyone else rotated so the only pass was a diagonal half court pass that even you could pick off. He was a defensive coach and the men's team has a lot of their similarities. Of course, their offense is also complicated, complex and the best in the country but I always think about that play. It was a series of picks that is eerily similar to this year's set offense on the NC team.

Reaction Score
Someone else mentioned this, why is she (Gandy) not in the low post more? One would think her coach would park her under the basket and tell her to block shots, rebound, and look for passes into the post! She was the biggest girl on the court but was all too often roaming the perimeter. I don’t get it!

Reaction Score
Someone else mentioned this, why is she (Gandy) not in the low post more? One would think her coach would park her under the basket and tell her to block shots, rebound, and look for passes into the post! She was the biggest girl on the court but was all too often roaming the perimeter. I don’t get it!

I'm wondering how much time GMM has spent with the Irish team prior to this tournament? By the time they play U20 most players have had a couple of years of USA play while MalouMamel may be a team newcomer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ireland plays a five out offense - Gandy is supposed to be on the perimeter. Hence my post about not understanding the offensive scheme. I have the same thought you do, that Gandy needs to be in the paint

Reaction Score
I'm just glad to see that Gandy moves her feet well on the perimeter. Geno's sure to use her that way occasionally too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom