Gamecocks 2022, part three (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, part three (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tessa’s Highlights from the game. She’s everything we need in an offensive player for next year.
Hopefully adding Tessa, Lay, and Chloe, alongside Raven, Breezy, and Coop, will give USC a collection of shooters who can shoot mid-range to the arc shots that have to be respected.

Reaction Score
Hopefully adding Tessa, Lay, and Chloe, alongside Raven, Breezy, and Coop, will give USC a collection of shooters who can shoot mid-range to the arc shots that have to be respected.
I definitely think it will. Lay, Tessa, and Chloe even as freshman will be a huge plus shooting the ball. I think Coach has recognized our lack of quality shooters and wanted to change that. I also think since they’re all shot creators it’ll help with the spacing a lot.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
They mentioned the El Salvador game from this past summer where Chloe scored 16 points.. I just went back and watched it. Smooth midrange jumper, active hands, guards on the perimeter, rebounds and handles on the break, loves getting out in transition. She will need to get stronger for sure, which she will get a head start on enrolling early. She’s going to be a good one.

Reaction Score

Dawn lit a torch under her by sitting her and Feagin after the Stanford game. She’s been on a different level since. Watching her run down Kiki Rice and blocking her shot in the UCLA game was unreal. When she did that the fans went crazy. This is the Kamilla we were so excited about.

Reaction Score
Tessa with another big game last night! She scored 22 points, dished 10 assists, grabbed 5 rebounds with 2 steals and 2 blocks. Her team won 85-38 but she did some of everything and didn’t play again after she checked out in the middle of the 3rd quarter. So far this season she’s averaging 24 ppg, 6.7 apg, and 5 rpg, and 2 spg to go with 55% FG and 52 % 3Pt shooting.

Reaction Score
Tessa with another big game last night! She scored 22 points, dished 10 assists, grabbed 5 rebounds with 2 steals and 2 blocks. Her team won 85-38 but she did some of everything and didn’t play again after she checked out in the middle of the 3rd quarter. So far this season she’s averaging 24 ppg, 6.7 apg, and 5 rpg, and 2 spg to go with 55% FG and 52 % 3Pt shooting.
More Highlights. She’s definitely starting to become a favorite of mines. The ability to attack left but shoot right handed will be a killer at the next level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OMG you omitted 25% of the 2023 class.lol. What about Jah..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopkins High School is in their league right ?

Reaction Score
Dawn lit a torch under her by sitting her and Feagin after the Stanford game. She’s been on a different level since. Watching her run down Kiki Rice and blocking her shot in the UCLA game was unreal. When she did that the fans went crazy. This is the Kamilla we were so excited about.
The doubting part of my nature tells me that benching was a disciplinary action. See Saniya Rivers 2021

Reaction Score
I definitely think it will. Lay, Tessa, and Chloe even as freshman will be a huge plus shooting the ball. I think Coach has recognized our lack of quality shooters and wanted to change that. I also think since they’re all shot creators it’ll help with the spacing a lot.

Let me add this to the discourse as a rebuttal to that thought. Every player Coach DS brings in has a stellar shooting percentage over their High School Career and display an extraordinary stroke from the outside . When you get to college and the young lady in front of you plays good defense-percentages seem to go down from what I have seen.

So I don't think its a conscience effort by staff to bring in more shooters IMO.

Reaction Score
Let me add this to the discourse as a rebuttal to that thought. Every player Coach DS brings in has a stellar shooting percentage over their High School Career and display an extraordinary stroke from the outside . When you get to college and the young lady in front of you plays good defense-percentages seem to go down from what I have seen.

So I don't think its a conscience effort by staff to bring in more shooters IMO.
Respectfully disagree. I can’t remember a player tabbed as a shooter out of HS. Kiki became a consistent shooter but she wasn’t either. Tessa is legit as are Chloe and Milaysia. Many scouts and evaluators think Tessa is the best shooter coming out of HS this year. You aren’t going to be able to sag on any of them and that’s something we haven’t had before.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. I can’t remember a player tabbed as a shooter out of HS. Kiki became a consistent shooter but she wasn’t either. Tessa is legit as are Chloe and Milaysia. Many scouts and evaluators think Tessa is the best shooter coming out of HS this year. You aren’t going to be able to sag on any of them and that’s something we haven’t had before.
We shall see

Plateau 1-Jr High to High School
Plateau 2- High School to College
Plateau 3-College t Professional all

Reaction Score
I do agree that for most part most of our players aren't usually known for their shooting coming in. I believe we are often hopeful on how much some them score in highschool that many believe it could translate. That would be players such as Zia, Littleton, Saniya who didn't really live up to the hype because people paid more attention to the points scored over the efficiency.

The only playérs I can recall with relatively decent buzz about their shooting prior to joining the team were Lindsay Spann, Olivia Thompson and Raven Johnson. The jury is still out on Johnson as she continues to come back for injury but future looks more bright on that front with the new additions next season.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
To add to this.. Dawn has been trying to get shooters on this team for years.

She went after:
Troup in 2017 (actually committed but transferred to Missouri almost immediately)
Nicolletti in 2018
Howard in 2018
Bueckers in 2020
Johnson in 2020
PaoPao in 2020
Campbell in 2020
Fudd in 2021
Risch in 2023

..that's just a few that I can think of. I'm sure we offered other very good shooters that ended up at other schools. Point being, it's not like SC getting pure shooters on campus finally is due to lack of trying.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I do agree that for most part most of our players aren't usually known for their shooting coming in. I believe we are often hopeful on how much some them score in highschool that many believe it could translate. That would be players such as Zia, Littleton, Saniya who didn't really live up to the hype because people paid more attention to the points scored over the efficiency.

The only playérs I can recall with relatively decent buzz about their shooting prior to joining the team were Lindsay Spann, Olivia Thompson and Raven Johnson. The jury is still out on Johnson as she continues to come back for injury but future looks more bright on that front with the new additions next season.
FWIW, Spann did light it up during her very short stint in a Gamecock uniform before she was injured. Her outside game complimented A'ja's inside dominance so well and she was good for 2-3 three points a night while she played here.

I think she could've had a pretty effective year for us had she not been hurt. A'ja's last year (an elite 8 year I believe) feels like a decade ago when you consider the overall talent level in comparison to our recent teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom