Gamecocks 2022, Part II | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Barker is impressive.. but wow Williams… how is her recruitment going? I wonder if SC is looking at her.
Yep. She’s quite the athlete as I found stuff about her as a softball player and a discus thrower. She’s a ‘23, ranked #3 by ESPNW right behind Fulwiley. Don’t see a place at USC if we keep Fulwiley in-state and Arnold is the silent commit.

Reaction Score

11/9 - @ NC State
11/12 - South Dakota (Sioux Falls Invitational)
11/17 - Clemson
11/20 - Buffalo (Battle 4 Atlantis)
11/21 - Oregon or Oklahoma (Battle 4 Atlantis)
11/22 - UConn, Minnesota, USF, or Syracuse (Battle 4 Atlantis)
11/29 - North Carolina A&T
12/3 - Kansas State (SEC/Big 12 Challenge)
12/12 - Maryland (Jimmy V Classic)
12/21 - Stanford
2/7(?) - UConn

Possible 3 more open dates left to fill.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

11/9 - @ NC State
11/17 - Clemson
12/21 - Stanford
2/7(?) - UConn

Possible 3 more open dates left to fill.

Duke may be one of them and that would be enough, I think, lol.

NC State
South Dakota
Oregon (probably)
UConn (probably)
Kansas State
Maryland
Stanford
UCONN

A top 10 team could go 2-6 against that lineup and I wouldn't think too badly of them.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Duke may be one of them and that would be enough, I think, lol.

NC State
South Dakota
Oregon (probably)
UConn (probably)
Kansas State
Maryland
Stanford
UCONN

A top 10 team could go 2-6 against that lineup and I wouldn't think too badly of them.
My head is spinning at this schedule. It just keeps getting tougher and tougher lol.. I’m expecting the Connecticut Sun and Team USA to be announced at any minute.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's some kind of home schedule... great for a season ticket holder. Maybe I'll drive down to that Dec 21 game vs Stanford. If you see someone with a Cal-Berkley Shirt and a Clemson hat on...... that will be me.

Reaction Score
That's some kind of home schedule... great for a season ticket holder. Maybe I'll drive down to that Dec 21 game vs Stanford. If you see someone with a Cal-Berkley Shirt and a Clemson hat on...... that will be me.
Would be a better time for you than than the Duke game I'm sure.

Reaction Score
My head is spinning at this schedule. It just keeps getting tougher and tougher lol.. I’m expecting the Connecticut Sun and Team USA to be announced at any minute.
I would put betting money down that we will have played all of this year's final four teams in the non-conference schedule.

Maryland...UConn.... Standford....NC State. Three of those four will be in the final four.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Would be a better time for you than than the Duke game I'm sure.
comeonman.png

Let's stay on topic.. :oops:

Reaction Score
I would put betting money down that we will have played all of this year's final four teams in the non-conference schedule.

Maryland...UConn.... Standford....NC State. Three of those four will be in the final four.

I suppose Louisville, Texas, UNC or a third Pac 12 team might be the next most likely gate crasher.

Reaction Score
Barker is impressive.. but wow Williams… how is her recruitment going? I wonder if SC is looking at her.
B8D444C7-C868-4278-AB81-67A7C91560C7.jpeg
I’m taking this LIKE from Coach Boyer as a sign that they are.

Reaction Score
Using Creme's way-too-early preseason ranking, we play:

1. UConn Huskies: (Possibly twice) How does a Final Four team get any better? That's a loaded question for the Huskies, who have the AP Player of the Year in Paige Bueckers, are adding a generational talent for the second consecutive season and have no seniors. Guard Azzi Fudd, the No. 1 recruit in the country and one of Bueckers' close friends, has a reputation as an elite shooter and will join the Huskies for 2021-22. Three other top-30 recruits enter the mix on a team that is expected to return Christyn Williams, a former No. 1 overall recruit, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook, Aaliyah Edwards and Bueckers, the most impactful freshman the game has seen in years.

3. Stanford Cardinal: Replacing the backcourt of Kiana Williams and Anna Wilson will have its challenges, but the talent at Stanford is still staggering. And after waiting 29 years to win another title, the Cardinal will be looking to make it two in a row. The experience that Cameron Brink and Fran Belibi have gained during this season's postseason run should only make them an even more formidable frontcourt duo. During any given game Lexie Hull, Hannah Jump and Ashten Prechtel have proven they can be game-changers. The point guard issue could be solved with Haley Jones taking on more of playmaking role or Jana Van Gytenbeek, a five-star recruit from a year ago, being ready to take on more minutes.

5. Maryland Terrapins: Brenda Frese remade her roster last offseason due to transfers and graduations, and turned it into a Sweet 16 run and AP Coach of the Year honors. Katie Benzan and Chloe Bibby, who each came to College Park as grad transfers, both announced they're coming back, which boosted the Terps a spot. With Benzan's 3-point shooting and Bibby's versatility, plus point guard Ashley Owusu, wing Diamond Miller and forward Angel Reese, Frese will continue to have a dynamic offense. Despite some great regular seasons, the Terrapins haven't been beyond the Sweet 16 since reaching the Final Four in 2015. How quickly Maryland can get over the disappointment of this year's loss to Texas in the regional semifinals might be the keys to ending that streak.

8. NC State Wolfpack: The model will remain the same in Raleigh: Play solid defense, rebound and run the offense through Elissa Cunane (16.3 PPG, 8.3 RPG). The 6-5 center will be on every preseason All-American list and will be one of the top prospects for the 2022 WNBA draft. She'll also be surrounded by familiar faces Jakia Brown-Turner (13.5 PPG), Jada Boyd (11.5 PPG) and point guard Raina Perez, who decided to take the extra year granted by the NCAA.

10. Oregon Ducks: (TOURNAMENT POSSIBILITY) This season didn't play out the way the Ducks had envisioned, but they still reached the Sweet 16. Expectations will be high again next season in Eugene. Full, healthy seasons for point guard Te-Hina Paopao, center Sedona Prince and guard Taylor Chavez will be a key. Taylor Mikesell regaining her outside shooting stroke (dipped to 34.8% in 23 games this season after 42.5% in 32 games at Maryland in 2019-20) and Nyara Sabally's continued growth into a dominating inside force would be enough for Oregon to reignite the rivalry

14. Kentucky Wildcats: Probably twice. Just having Rhyne Howard back for her senior year is enough to get the Wildcats into the top 25. A full year to develop better chemistry and get used to Kyra Elzy as the head coach might be good enough for a top-10 push. Howard (20.7 PPG, 7.3 RPG) will once again be on every preseason national player of the year list, and Elzy, who took over as head coach for Matthew Mitchell just before the 2020-21 season started, now has a full season of experience. The four transfers brought in last year -- Robyn Benton (Auburn), Dre'una Edwards (Utah), Olivia Owens (Maryland) and Jazmine Massengill (Tennessee) -- will have more time to work with Howard and the rest of a talented roster. Kentucky might be South Carolina's primary challenger in the SEC.

18. Tennessee Lady Vols: Probably twice. Losing Rennia Davis will be tough to overcome, but coach Kellie Harper can take comfort knowing that Rae Burrell (16.8 PPG), the other half of Tennessee's all-SEC duo, is back. Harper will build around Burrell and 6-5 sophomore center Tamari Key and plan on the continued growth of sophomore guard Jordan Horston and freshman Marta Suarez, as well as the impact of the 15th-ranked recruiting class.

22. Texas A&M Aggies: Point guard Jordan Nixon, a sophomore who hit a buzzer-beater in overtime to lead Texas A&M to the Sweet 16, emerged as the Aggies' star late in the season, and that should continue into 2021-22. Senior guard Kayla Wells will also return for an extra season in College Station. Alexis Morris and Zaay Green join them in what should be a deep and potent backcourt. How coach Gary Blair replaces N'dea Jones and Ciera Johnson in the frontcourt will determine the Aggies' fate in the SEC.

25. South Dakota Coyotes: In Hannah Sjerven and Chloe Lamb, the Coyotes had two of the best players in the Summit League. Now they get them back after the two elected to take the extra year of eligibility. That makes South Dakota the big favorite to win the conference. If coach Dawn Plitzuweit can pick up some quality nonconference games, and the Coyotes get a win or two, they will be hanging around the top 25 all season. Sjerven (17.1 PPG, 9.8 RPG) and Lamb (15.8 PPG, 4.2 RPG) will also be joined by senior Liv Korngable (14.7 PPG), South Dakota's third-leading scorer this season who also opted to take the extra year.

Reaction Score
Stacked schedule as usual. Love it as a season ticket holder. I know they won't all be played at home but WOW - what a schedule.

Reaction Score
Just did some quick math in my head...so like 40% of our schedule will be against teams expected to be in the top 25? Insanity! I love it.

Reaction Score
Just did some quick math in my head...so like 40% of our schedule will be against teams expected to be in the top 25? Insanity! I love it.
I’d expect Stanford to be in a similar boat—I still find it shocking that Arizona goes from national runners up to not even mentioned in Creme’s too early Top 25. Aari was a pretty big piece, but that team was more than just Aari. The disrespect for the Wes

I’d expect Stanford to face Top 25 Foes in South Carolina, Arizona, Gonzaga, Texas, Tennessee, Oregon, UCLA, Oregon State, Washington State, Indiana, Maryland, South Florida. 12 of the 25 best teams in the country are on Stanford’s schedule.

all in all, it should be an exciting season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm glad most of the top WBB programs are playing each other; that doesn't necessarily happen in MBB or FB.

Reaction Score
USC @ Duke 12/15. No surprise this got done. I believe Dawn has scheduled all the teams she’s said she wanted to in her end of season PC.

Two possible slots still open. We’ve played Temple the last 4 yrs, I wonder if that series is next to be continued. It would be Temple’s turn to host if so.

11/9 - @ NC State
11/17 - Clemson
12/15 - @ Duke
12/21 - Stanford
2/7(?) - UConn

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess yall wanted ALL THE SMOKE after all. Smoked, Grilled, or Fried Chicken is always better on a Sunday... but a Wednesday night will just have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom