Gamecocks 2022, Part II | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Never said the freshmen would be integral, said a few might find a role. And yeah, Amihere and Cordosa have alot to do with that.

You spoke out of both sides tbh in your post. You contradicted yourself, look and see.

I said it straight. Yourself? You “prosed” and “fluffed” for what, 4 paragraphs? Only to circle back and contradict your own self?

I’m just trying to understand WTH you were trying to communicate.

Was not going to respond, but I thought it necessary to clarify my post.

First, my post was less in response to your original post than an exercise in thinking out loud. So, to better clarify my thoughts let me set them out.

1. Team projections by pundits often refer to the quality and depth of incoming classes.

2. Most, if not all, of these preseason articles referenced South Carolina's very talented incoming class. (To be fair, the same could be said about articles about UConn).

3. South Carolina is going to be very, very good this year, even if they hadn't recruited anyone.

4. As you suggested in your post (and I agree), South Carolina's improvement over last year (again, starting from a very high level) might be driven more from the improvement of returning players than the freshman.

5. Slightly off topic, but large freshman classes may be overvalued for first year impact, as often the biggest impact from freshman are from a few very good freshman, as opposed to impact from many of them (citing Clark, Bueckers and - potentially Rivers - as examples).

6. And finally, if these factors/thoughts/musings apply to South Carolina, they almost certainly apply to UConn as well. Another Final Four team returning (almost) everyone, a skilled transfer big, and a highly ranked recruiting class.

To further clarify, never said that you wrote that the freshman would be "integral." (actually never used that word). Also, don't see where I "contradicted" myself.

Sorry that you thought that my post was an attack or an attempt to diminish or refute your post. I really don't disagree with anything you wrote (and I certainly defer to you and other SC fans about any analysis of your team). Certainly wasn't my intention.

As for what I think about South Carolina (since you asked ;)). As a UConn fan, South Carolina scares me more than any other team. You are always tough defensively, play hard, rebound really well, are deep, and are physically a difficult match up. If you have an Achilles heel, it's that sometimes you can have difficulty scoring. Again, as a UConn alum, I worry that you will fix that.

Finally, I'm looking forward to the UConn-South Carolina match-up(s) this year. They should be great basketball and provide opportunities for moves and counter-moves as both teams try to play "their" game. As I posted previously, I would love to see a best of seven between the two teams.

If you are ever in Storrs, the first sundae at the Dairy Bar is on me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Amihere is going to be the breakout player this year, the super recruits will need to bide their time and wait for opportunities to play. Saxton is a great team player, but Amihere is dynamic and super elite athlete, expect Saxton to lose playing time. Would love to see Rivers develop as the number 2 at the 3 spot and take minutes from Beal as season progresses, Beal is glue but nothing special on offense. Raven will spot duty Henny and Cooke some. Feagin will wait and develop behind the experienced bigs this year. Hall is a likely defensive type sub for the 2 and 3 spots at certain times. Will take a month or more for Staley to juggle and decide how the team looks down the stretch lineup wise, but Amihere is likely going to be playing in the crunch minutes and not Sexton.
Beal is an outstanding defender so I wouldn't expect her playing time to decrease much.

Reaction Score
I just browsed the tv schedule for the gamecocks and geez, every game aside the 1st 2 at Atlantis are on an espn network.
Sec network/espn/espn2/ and tonight's game on Espnews. Keep in mind this is vs SOUTH DAKOTA, it's not vs a huge brand. If anyone wants to know if tv contracts matter this is the perfect example. Amazing how a team like SC can have a tv contract like this, but Uconn is on SNY and fox sports1.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just browsed the tv schedule for the gamecocks and geez, every game aside the 1st 2 at Atlantis are on an espn network.
Sec network/espn/espn2/ and tonight's game on Espnews. Keep in mind this is vs SOUTH DAKOTA, it's not vs a huge brand. If anyone wants to know if tv contracts matter this is the perfect example. Amazing how a team like SC can have a tv contract like this, but Uconn is on
SNY and fox sports1.
Yeah, but Uconn basically owns SNY, that’s pretty much your longhorn network when they’re not showing pro sports. Lol I know this for a fact because I used to live in CT.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Uconn basically owns SNY, that’s pretty much your longhorn network when they’re not showing pro sports. Lol I know this for a fact because I used to live in CT.
I thought it was the mets who owned that network? Either way I'm 0 for 2 with both those networks. Just glad I get sec/acc network

Reaction Score
A little dirty laundry here.

We have a small lunatic fringe of fans who complained about Dawn’s recent raise because our wbb team “loses money.” What they don’t realize is that our wbb team is important too the SEC’s mega contract with ESPN. People only think in terms of football producing the TV money. However, eSPN is paying the SEC fir sports programming. The SEC network would be broke without all the other programming like WBB.

Our 30 ESPN WBB games indirectly generate a lot of money for the SEC. that profit helps provide the basis for our annual shares. The NC State game drew good eyeballs and Dawn helps ESPN sell lots of advertising.

Just another example of how women’s basketball is undervalued. It is not given a “line item” in SEC/ESPN accounting.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sec network/espn/espn2/ and tonight's game on Espnews. Keep in mind this is vs SOUTH DAKOTA, it's not vs a huge brand. If anyone wants to know if tv contracts matter this is the perfect example. Amazing how a team like SC can have a tv contract like this, but Uconn is on SNY and fox sports1.

You obviously know nothing about conference media rights deals. The SNY deal is with the UConn women’s team, not the BE, which is pretty incredible.

SMH.

Reaction Score

We have a small lunatic fringe of fans who complained about Dawn’s recent raise because our wbb team “loses money.” What they don’t realize is that our wbb team is important too the SEC’s mega contract with ESPN. People only think in terms of football producing the TV money. However, eSPN is paying the SEC fir sports programming. The SEC network would be broke without all the other programming like WBB.

Our 30 ESPN WBB games indirectly generate a lot of money for the SEC. that profit helps provide the basis for our annual shares. The NC State game drew good eyeballs and Dawn helps ESPN sell lots of advertising.

Just another example of how women’s basketball is undervalued. It is not given a “line item” in SEC/ESPN accounting.

That dirty laundry is not only unique to SCar my friend. Also please not that most WBB progrmas lose money on the books;but you have to determine if its an accounting decision or due to poor fan support. I thin the SCar program is served up as a "loss lead" for the fan base to have cheap tickets to a winning product.

Reaction Score
You obviously know nothing about conference media rights deals. The SNY deal is with the UConn women’s team, not the BE, which is pretty incredible.

SMH.
that's wonderful, I don't get that channel. And I'm sure many ppl don't. SEC network is a channel that is part of the Espn family along the Acc network so it's easier to access.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
that's wonderful, I don't get that channel. And I'm sure many ppl don't. SEC network is a channel that is part of the Espn family along the Acc network so it's easier to access.

I understand, but you talked about the SC women’s team having a TV contract which is not accurate. The SEC has a media rights deal with ESPN and of course the SEC network is owned and operated by ESPN. The Big East has a media rights deal with Fox and CBS. Conferences control the media deals except that the UConn women have their own deal with SNY, a sports network with 8 million subscribers in the NYC area and 12 million subscribers elsewhere. The SNY games can be streamed on the FoxSports app which works great for a lot of fans. Of course, ESPN puts the Huskies on its family of networks, including the first regular season WCBB game ever on ABC, whenever it can because of the ratings.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I thought it was the mets who owned that network? Either way I'm 0 for 2 with both those networks. Just glad I get sec/acc network
It’s the Mets’ network. I’m just being sarcastic about the fact that they show and promote UConn a lot… way more than the SEC Network promotes any individual school.

Reaction Score
That dirty laundry is not only unique to SCar my friend. Also please not that most WBB progrmas lose money on the books;but you have to determine if its an accounting decision or due to poor fan support. I thin the SCar program is served up as a "loss lead" for the fan base to have cheap tickets to a winning product.
I agree.

Reaction Score
Rough looking injury for Raven. Hope it isn't as bad as it looked. Seems like a just awful year as far as injuries go nationally.

Good win. The starters are making good decisions right now. Aliyah is rarely wrong and is flat dominant defensively right now.

One of Henderson's best I would think.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

Most WBB teams (if not ALL) lose money. The most the universities can do is mitigate the losses. Dawn has done a great job of mitigating the losses with the crowds that attend. Concessions are a big part of the revenue also.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I understand, but you talked about the SC women’s team having a TV contract which is not accurate. The SEC has a media rights deal with ESPN and of course the SEC network is owned and operated by ESPN. The Big East has a media rights deal with Fox and CBS. Conferences control the media deals except that the UConn women have their own deal with SNY, a sports network with 8 million subscribers in the NYC area and 12 million subscribers elsewhere. The SNY games can be streamed on the FoxSports app which works great for a lot of fans. Of course, ESPN puts the Huskies on its family of networks, including the first regular season WCBB game ever on ABC, whenever it can because of the ratings.
The ESPN deal is all tiers of the universities sports programs in the SEC. The eyes are on South Carolina WBB more than most WBB teams...and eyes sell ads.....Therefore the contract is also with the women's team.

Reaction Score
Some observations from the South Dakota game:

Still too many turnovers for the team. Dawn says she's a bit more OK with turnovers that are made while attacking the basket in fast transition. It's the foolish turnovers from bad-decision passing, traveling, double-dribbling or charging while in half-court situations, that bug her the most. Don't know what category these TOs fall in, but they are too much.

To start the 3rd Qtr., the regular starting 5 for the Gamecocks came out on the floor. Don't know what was told to the team in the lockerroom during the halftime, but if anyone saw Brea Beal's hair on fire to start the 2nd half, they weren't hallucinating. In the first 4:35 of the 3rd Period, Beal had 6 rebounds - 5 of them offensive boards - shot 2-3 for 4 pts, and had a block. She's a great defensive player, but that was some of the most aggressive offensive effort I've seen from her as a Gamecock. She then was rotated out of the game with Saxton.

Hey! Both Boston and Cardoso wound up on the floor together in the 3rd Qtr. at the 5:25 mark - Cardoso came in for Saxton, while Littleton came in for Beal - and stayed out there through the end of the 3rd period. The Coyotes acknowledged this by trying to collapse into the paint, and this allowed Henderson to hit two of her 4 3-pt shots for the game. Both threes came off of assists from Kamilla.

One great play was on a missed Coyote shot that was rebounded by Henderson - the ball works it's way to Cardoso rushing down into the paint to the other end. Boston was trailing behind but was also running towards the lane. Her Coyote defender moves away from Boston and focuses on doubling up Cardoso. Boston just continues towards the basket, and even speeds up her pace. Kamilla gives Boston a sweet little pass out of the double-team, and Boston lays it up for the score:

It reminded me of the old plays from the Boston Celtics days of Bird, Parrish, and McHale: when your defender leaves you to pick up your teammate with the ball, just move immediately to the basket, and your teammate will feed you the ball for the easy lay-up. For the final 17 seconds of the 3rd Qtr., Amihere joined both Boston and Cardoso on the floor at the same time.

Overall, the Gamecock defense was pretty stifling in the 2nd half: 5-18 (27.8%) for the 3rd Qtr., and 6-31 (19.4%) for the 2nd half. A big part of that was containing Liv Korngable to just 6 pts in the 2nd half, after she scored 18 in the 1st. Chloe Lamb scored 10 pts for the game, but after those two, the rest of the team only scored a total of 7 points. In 2019-20 we beat them 73-60 in Colonial Life Arena, and we beat the Coyotes 81-71 last season in the Pentagon. They converted 41.9% and 43.3% respectively, in those games. Shot equal to us in 19-20, and better than us last season. We held them to just 25.0% Friday, while we converted 46.7% of our shots. Looks like defensive improvement, at least.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Going off topic for a moment. Amazing match played by USC WSOC as they take down #2 seed and college soccer power UNC in the first round of the NCAAT, 1-0!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Going off topic for a moment. Amazing match played by USC WSOC as they take down #2 seed and college soccer power UNC in the first round of the NCAAT, 1-0!

First time UNC has ever lost in the first round of the tournament. They had a lot of to tough breaks this season for being as talented as they are. Tough being a UNC/UConn fan, can’t escape these pesky birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom