Gamecocks 2022, Part II | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First time UNC has ever lost in the first round of the tournament. They had a lot of to tough breaks this season for being as talented as they are. Tough being a UNC/UConn fan, can’t escape these pesky birds.

Can’t escape those pesky birds? Remind me what the Gamecocks record is against the Huskies. And feel free to use head to head or national championships. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Can’t escape those pesky birds? Remind me what the Gamecocks record is against the Huskies. And feel free to use head to head or national championships. :rolleyes:
Seems like a unnecessary and unprovoked attack for a thread that's supposed to be about Gamecocks athletics.

Reaction Score

The other visitor on campus on the day that Dawn dropped the birdie entering the nest tweet. Probably will just be dropping a final schools list rather than a commitment.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Going off topic for a moment. Amazing match played by USC WSOC as they take down #2 seed and college soccer power UNC in the first round of the NCAAT, 1-0!

Huge win over a powerhouse program. SC soccer has been knocking on the door of the elite for years now. It’s time.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Goodness. Lol.

At least you are consistent.

Reaction Score
Seems like a unnecessary and unprovoked attack for a thread that's supposed to be about Gamecocks athletics.

Attack? More like some good natured teasing on a UConn site. Which is how I read the original comment on how it’s “tough” being a UConn fan. Yet somehow we manage. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Huge win over a powerhouse program. SC soccer has been knocking on the door of the elite for years now. It’s time.

How could yall lose to Missouri? MISSOURI?? Yall gonna end the season by going 0-3 versus tigers and lose out on going to a bowl. ;)

tig.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Attack? More like some good natured teasing on a UConn site. Which is how I read the original comment on how it’s “tough” being a UConn fan. Yet somehow we manage. ;)
This is a neutral board on the Boneyard. Let’s not live up to the reputation fans on other boards have given us

Reaction Score
This is a neutral board on the Boneyard. Let’s not live up to the reputation fans on other boards have given us

In fairness, a few posts earlier I extolled the virtues of this South Carolina team. In context, I find my response to the original comment restrained and far short of an "attack."

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
In fairness, a few posts earlier I extolled the virtues of this South Carolina team. In context, I find my response to the original comment restrained and far short of an "attack."
Ignore it....I enjoy your posts as much as anyone on the board. We don't see eye to eye a lot of times but you usually back up your statement. I can deal with that.

Reaction Score

Welp, she wasn't the June birdie.
LOL, Her choice not a shocker. :p

I'm still confused on who the birdie could be, that's the only one that made sense based on the timeline.

Reaction Score
I'm still confused on who the birdie could be, that's the only one that made sense based on the timeline.
Arnold and Risch were on campus the same day Dawn posted. Barring a surprise unknown, right now it seems the birdie is between Ashlyn Watkins or KK Arnold. We’ll know about Watkins in 3 days and KK on the 22nd.

Reaction Score
If it’s Ashlyn I have no idea why she would wait unless the 17th is somehow a significant day.

Reaction Score
Arnold and Risch were on campus the same day Dawn posted. Barring a surprise unknown, right now it seems the birdie is between Ashlyn Watkins or KK Arnold. We’ll know about Watkins in 3 days and KK on the 22nd.
That would be so weird to me if it was Arnold, given she continued to go on her visits after SC. A little bit disrespectful, but possible I guess.
Maybe she will commit to SC, but I don’t think the tweet that day was about her.

Reaction Score

I knew we weren't going to get Risch. I thought I read somewhere that Arnold had written us out of her list of finalists, but cannot find any evidence of that and must have confused her with another prospect. Or, it may just be that my own mind played tricks on me, as I also have high doubts that Arnold will be coming to SC, whether she made this known or not. So the writing is on the wall that it's Watkins: we'll know in 3 more days, as we prepare to play Clemson.....

Reaction Score
If Raven misses extended time, South Carolina is probably going to need to take a grad transfer PG or an experienced PG out of the portal, imo.

I do not think Cooke, Russell, or Cooper is a viable first option and honestly might not be the best backup option.

Reaction Score
Week One

Player of the week:

Destanni Henderson averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5 assists vs 2 TOS in two road wins vs quality opponents Henny shot 56% from the floor, 67% threes and 70% from the line.

Defensive Player of the Week

Aliyah Boston averaged 8.5 pts, 5.5 rebs and 4.5 blks playing 20 mpg. It's hard to fault anything about her defense as that may well have the difference vs NC State.

Freshman of the Week

Bree Hall continued her scrimmage role as one of first freshmen off the bench ahead of higher rated classmates. She hit two threes vs South Dakota and seems impressively quick. Big things ahead when the games slows a bit for her?

Big Rotation:

Through 2 perhaps pretty representational games the minutes break as follows:

Boston 20.5
Amihere 19.0
Saxton 19.0
Cardoso 15.5
Feagin 6.0

Feagin's 6 minutes go to Boston in tight games, it seems. Amihere continues her up and down play as she was good vs NC State and not as much of an impact vs SD. I would like to see her grab some more of Saxton's minutes, but she will have to be more consistent than this to get them. Cardoso kind of effortlessly put up a 9 point, 8 rebound, 3 assist, 1 block in 16 minutes vs SD. If you don't have defensive size, SC is probably going to hurt you with Cardoso.

Overall:

South Carolina was pretty efficient and guard scoring driven in dispatching two quality opponents on the road fairly comfortably. The team defense is strobg though in both games SC has allowed a guard/wing to have a good night. The Raven Johnson injury is to the freshman that they perhaps most would not have wanted to lose as it is going to require Cooke to continue playing a fair amount of backup pg.

Reaction Score
If Raven misses extended time, South Carolina is probably going to need to take a grad transfer PG or an experienced PG out of the portal, imo.

I do not think Cooke, Russell, or Cooper is a viable first option and honestly might not be the best backup option.
If Raven is done for the year it really hurts us more next year than this year. Destiny Littleton could fill that roll some, but Raven was the one freshman we NEEDED.

Reaction Score
If anything else Schaefer's Texas team beating Stanford was a early Christmas present to Dawn Staley and staff, in showing us exactly how to beat the Cardinal. Schaefer's team defensive schemes are pretty similar in design to what we run defensively.

Not that we didn't already have a strong idea after playing them so closely in last season's NCAAT, nor that we wouldn't have run our defense anyways, but it should give some affirmation. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Vic used our game last season as game-prep for his team going up against the Trees for their game Sunday....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom