Gamecocks 2022-23: Part One | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022-23: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw her graduation pics, and wondered if she’d already completed four years, but your post has clarified that for me. Kudos to her, and all the student athletes. Not only those at SCar and UCONN, but to all schools, regardless of the divisions, because they have worked hard to become successful participants in the world.

And thank you for sharing your team’s success with us BYers.
After LA suffered her second knee injury her senior year of HS, Dawn brought up the idea that she graduate early and come down to USC where she could have the convenience of getting her surgery and rehab done all at one shop and get a head start taking classes. So she arrived during the ‘18-‘19 season whereas Boston/Beal/Cooke arrived in ’19-‘20. South Carolina athletics has a terrific orthopedic surgeon as it’s medical director and team physician in Dr. Jeffrey Guy, so she was in very good hands.

What’s great about LA is how much love and enthusiasm she has always shown for South Carolina and the leadership initiatives she has undertaken while on campus. It might be a bit much to expect her to stay a sixth year so I t will be interesting how things play out if she feels she could use another year before placing herself in the WNBA draft pool. Would probably be easier for her if some of her class like Beal and her BFF Thompson choose to come back too.

Reaction Score
so glad Saxon cameback so she doesn't have to deal with this Wnba drama. She can just have fun and win another ntl title. I thought it was cute when they said they call her Momma Hen. You can tell she was having a lot of fun last season

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Amihere has graduated.

The scary part is that the portal is not closed to her. She could transfer as a grad and be eligible IMMEDIATELY.
Conversely, she could stay at South Carolina for two more years and complete a graduation degree during that time. That she is All SEC academic, I'm guessing she won't have a problem getting into the graduate program of her choice.

Whatever, I congratulate her for graduating in three The 2019 recruiting class has been amazing - on and off the court. Boston is an Academic All American and all 5 are All SEC Academics,

Impressive that she has graduated. I know of a place where she would be welcomed as a Grad Transfer. Somewhere where her size, power, and athleticism would be welcome with royal blue sleeved arms.

stir.gif

Reaction Score
so glad Saxon cameback so she doesn't have to deal with this Wnba drama. She can just have fun and win another ntl title. I thought it was cute when they said they call her Momma Hen. You can tell she was having a lot of fun last season
I’d like to think that the “WNBA drama” will be short lived, but it may continue for some time, even with the addition of a couple expansion teams. The young women want to play pro ball in the USA, but their chances of making a team are stymied mainly by the teams’ constant waivers and releases.

Reaction Score

Good for her. I wish more ppl would take the approach she did. Very grateful she was so transparent about it as well. That stigma has GOT to go. If you you're not feeling well physically, you seek help, guidance and advice from a professional. Feeling unwell mentally should be no different nor should it be looked down upon.

Reaction Score

JDuro, thanks for posting this here. I am so proud of Coates taking the necessary steps to take care of her mental health, and sharing that information with the world. And she's correct in that there's nothing to be ashamed of. I am also sorry that she lost her dad so suddenly (2018). Prayers and best wishes to her as she gets back on the USA's pro ball court.

Reaction Score

Much of what she said is what I used to argue in her defense over the years. She had the most unfortunate events to start to her pro career. Alaina was a huge daddy's girl, and losing her father like that on top of coming from injury was a lot to handle. I'm glad she recognized it and isn't trying to play through it without working on herself. I hope she can put it all together this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hope she drops 44 on south carolina if they play again.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Big fish sniffs bait.

Turns slowly. Swims away. Bit stinks too much.

How many TEAMS don't score 44 against SCar.

Yeah. I forgot Bout that stout defense. Well hope she drops 14 on yall

Reaction Score
The prospect of Rivers and Hall, with their length and wingspan, sharing the court and towering over opposing backcourts was always very intriguing to me. Now I look fwd to seeing them possibly going up against each other in future match ups. I would be quite surprised if the two schools don’t re-up another home/home series as they put together their non-conf schedules.

Reaction Score

Some interesting comments from Rivers. I too hope we continue to play NC State as well, we owe them a whopping in Columbia anyway!
She brought up some good points especially as it relates to Covid preventing visits is pretty big deal when it comes to something as important as choosing a college.

I don't understand her story about not playing in the NC State game though. If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure she had a broken nose and was on concussion protocol to start the season. Oh well I hopes she kills it at NC State and finds her shot again.

Reaction Score
She brought up some good points especially as it relates to Covid preventing visits is pretty big deal when it comes to something as important as choosing a college.

I don't understand her story about not playing in the NC State game though. If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure she had a broken nose and was on concussion protocol to start the season. Oh well I hopes she kills it at NC State and finds her shot again.
I chuckled about the "My teammates didn't want me to shoot. Every time she shot and the ball would hit the side of the back board people would question why she was shooting too." I mean, you have to earn your PT. If she thought she should get in the game just because she was from NC that is a problem. Incredible athlete. I hope she'll be happy at NC State. IDK if we play them again next year but that game will be fun.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Some interesting comments from Rivers. I too hope we continue to play NC State as well, we owe them a whopping in Columbia anyway!
Meh. Nice article and definitely about what I would expect to read from somebody transferring from one program to another. Valid points made about her being unable to take official visits and her shooting woes from beyond the arc.

If I’m being honest, I’m still a little salty about losing Rivers. I think she’s immensely talented and a future AA.. and honestly I wish her well. But I’m quietly over hearing about her.. she’s a rival now. I’m glad she’s happy but I’m moving on. Begrudgingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom