Gamecocks 2022-2023, part two | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks 2022-2023, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You could question the outside shooting in this one and maybe some decision making at times, but even if it didn't improve from here you'd still make this team the favorite.

I tend to think they'll have better shooting nights.

But I want to see what the minutes look like vs Maryland.

Raven/Fletcher/Cooke/Amihere is more than sufficient though at point guard.

Reaction Score
I caught this on demand and SCar will be scary good this year. Dawn was right about Feagin, she looks fantastic. This roster is stocked with tall, long, athletic players; expect to see them lead the NCAA in rebounding again. Once again, outside shooting will be the Achilles heel for this team, but that will be a very small Achilles, because their height, speed, and athleticism will overwhelm almost every opponent they will face.

Reaction Score
I could see both LA and Beal staying. I love both but think they each need more development in order to make it in the league.
Laeticia staying another year does make sense from that perspective. It could also benefit her academically since she's already graduate. Leveraging that COVID year to finish a graduate degree (if it's available at South Carolina) would be a huge bonus.

Reaction Score
You could question the outside shooting in this one and maybe some decision making at times, but even if it didn't improve from here you'd still make this team the favorite.

I tend to think they'll have better shooting nights.

But I want to see what the minutes look like vs Maryland.

Raven/Fletcher/Cooke/Amihere is more than sufficient though at point guard.
Amihere had some great passes and was very unselfish with the ball. Sometimes she wants to bully herself in the paint and draws charges. I was proud of her last night!

Reaction Score
Question for the Gamecocks fans, is there any truth to the rumor that UNC pulled out of the secret scrimmage that was supposed to have taken place last month?

Reaction Score
If true shhhhhh. Last thing "you know who" needs for fodder. :D
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true. North Carolina hasn't enough players suited up to run a 5 on 5 scrimmage and used male practice players to fill out the roster for what should've been the Blue-White scrimmage.

Reaction Score
10 random thoughts/observations from the game:

1) I saw some passes from Raven that were next level. Her court vision is elite. There was a half court pass to Feagin (?) that was a thing of beauty. I don't recall Henney ever making those type of passes.

2) I noticed the same defensive intensity as last season. Some of the newcomers were a little lost at times but they were still pretty darn good overall.

3) I am almost positive that we'll lead the NCAA in rebounding for a second year in a row.

4) Is it just me, or did the offense get better when the backups came into the game?

5) I think our number of steals will go up this season.

6) Feagin will be an offensive nightmare to gameplan for. That three looked effortless and her she looks like she can shoot it from any spot on the floor.

7) Though her numbers don't show it, Beal has put a lot of work into her offensive production and it showed. She also threaded the needle with a few of her passes in the transition game. I was impressed.

8) We still have some struggles with our 3-point shooting but it looks marginally better than last season.

9) Ashlynn Watkins will dunk the ball sometime this season.

10) We look really good pushing the ball in transition. I expect our fast break point stats to increase this season.

Reaction Score
Slow your roll down buddy... :rolleyes: Last time I checked, ETSU aint no Texas A&M, Washington State, Michigan State. Lets see a few more games, then we can discuss.
I agree. With all the really nice things we’ve seen from the Freshman and Sophomores, I take it with a grain of salt as it was against the likes of Benedict and ETSU and we’ll get a better understanding of their potential beginning Friday. Having said that, I think Raven, Coop, Feagin, and Watkins are the real deal and that will bear out as their time in Columbia plays out.

Reaction Score
Slow your roll down buddy... :rolleyes: Last time I checked, ETSU aint no Texas A&M, Washington State, Michigan State. Lets see a few more games, then we can discuss.
You actually typed this team's name out? On purpose??!!??!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Laeticia staying another year does make sense from that perspective. It could also benefit her academically since she's already graduate. Leveraging that COVID year to finish a graduate degree (if it's available at South Carolina) would be a huge bonus.
I'm pretty sure LA will finish her graduate degree this spring. She got her undergrad degree in 2021. Remember she came in at Christmas because she tore up her knee. I guess she could start on her doctorate.

Raven is going to have some freshman moments for sure but remember that she was the #2 ranked recruit. Dawn said when she had her press conference announcing them that she might be the best PG she had ever signed. When she is in the game the fast break was on turbo, and especially when we had Feagin and Cooper in. It's going to be fun. This roster is so versatile it's crazy.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure LA will finish her graduate degree this spring. She got her undergrad degree in 2021. Remember she came in at Christmas because she tore up her knee. I guess she could start on her doctorate.

Raven is going to have some freshman moments for sure but remember that she was the #2 ranked recruit. Dawn said when she had her press conference announcing them that she might be the best PG she had ever signed. When she is in the game the fast break was on turbo, and especially when we had Feagin and Cooper in. It's going to be fun. This roster is so versatile it's crazy.
For some reason my brain has it as this year. Maybe it's because she posted grad pics during the summer. If she graduated in 2021 that's impressive considering she enrolled a semester early.

Reaction Score
10 random thoughts/observations from the game:

1) I saw some passes from Raven that were next level. Her court vision is elite. There was a half court pass to Feagin (?) that was a thing of beauty. I don't recall Henney ever making those type of passes.

2) I noticed the same defensive intensity as last season. Some of the newcomers were a little lost at times but they were still pretty darn good overall.

3) I am almost positive that we'll lead the NCAA in rebounding for a second year in a row.

4) Is it just me, or did the offense get better when the backups came into the game?

5) I think our number of steals will go up this season.

6) Feagin will be an offensive nightmare to gameplan for. That three looked effortless and her she looks like she can shoot it from any spot on the floor.

7) Though her numbers don't show it, Beal has put a lot of work into her offensive production and it showed. She also threaded the needle with a few of her passes in the transition game. I was impressed.

8) We still have some struggles with our 3-point shooting but it looks marginally better than last season.

9) Ashlynn Watkins will dunk the ball sometime this season.

10) We look really good pushing the ball in transition. I expect our fast break point stats to increase this season.

We will not lead the NCAA in rebounding for a second year in a row, even if we DID lead the NCAA in rebounding this season. We were 3rd last season, behind Troy and Tennessee, 4th in 2020-21, behind Troy, Baylor, and Duke ( :eek: ), and 2nd in 19-20, behind Troy.

What you may be thinking of, was blocked shots. We led the NCAA in blocked shots last season, and was 2nd to Syracuse in 20-21 by decimal pts (they edged us 7.04 bpg to 7.03 bpg), but led the NCAA again in 19-20.....

Reaction Score
We will not lead the NCAA in rebounding for a second year in a row, even if we DID lead the NCAA in rebounding this season. We were 3rd last season, behind Troy and Tennessee, 4th in 2020-21, behind Troy, Baylor, and Duke ( :eek: ), and 2nd in 19-20, behind Troy.

What you may be thinking of, was blocked shots. We led the NCAA in blocked shots last season, and was 2nd to Syracuse in 20-21 by decimal pts (they edged us 7.04 bpg to 7.03 bpg), but led the NCAA again in 19-20.....
My memory must be faltering. I thought I remembered that we slightly edged out UT as the #1 rebounding team.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, we led the nation in total rebounds but we were 3rd in rebounds per game. We played more games as champs

Reaction Score
I think SC should’ve been at least #4 with the addition of Kitts. Hopefully we land Fulwiley and possibly JuJu too! Both would without a doubt be #1 class. Either or and I think is no lower than #2. Not sure If LSU should be #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom