Game of Thrones Season 8 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones Season 8

Reaction Score
It's been said by a lot of folks and it's true that the show has noticeably gone downhill since it surpassed the books. It's felt like normal Hollywood action BS instead of the harsh, pragmatic style of GRRM. The fan-service and quippy one-liners need to die in a fire.

The show had to deal with the fact that the author went in circles for 1200 pages and then thought "#*$#*, how do I tie all of this up?" There have been a few ridiculous moments, but overall they've done an admirable job.

My biggest issue is that the showrunners are suddenly afraid to kill off major characters. There's just no way in hell that one-handed Jamie, fat Sam, and Grey Worm armed only with his spear survive that onslaught.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A cavalry charge in the dark into a overwhelming mass of previously killed warriors probably ends the way it did. A simple infantry square used to mangle cavalry charges 200 years ago, so I’m guessing it would not work against five zillion dead people.

Logically, and I’m using the word loosely, last night really had to end the way it did.

If I have an army of 10 dead people and you have an army of 10 live people, I’m going to win and win quickly.

You have to kill my dead soldiers in one of two particular ways. Both are really inconvenient. I can kill your soldiers in any fashion I would like. If I kill one of yours, the game is now 11 to 9. Two, and it becomes 12-8.

My soldiers never get tired. They don’t care about the weather or the time of day. They don’t need food, water, clothes, shoes, tents, sleep or any sort of provision whatsoever. Your soldiers need all of those things every few hours.

And given the numbers game above, you’re going to lose in hours. I don’t need replacements or reserves - I make those every time I kill one of yours. You need both.

Basically, the only way to end that battle is how it did last night - with a home run. If not for that, the show’s pretty much over.

Either that, or Jon Snow learns that the night king is actually his father and then after some soul searching, they form an unlikely alliance and defeat Cersei. And then we can have some unsatisfying prequels in a few years.

The only thing we know about the Night King is that he is a Children of the Forest weapons program that got out of control. Who knows what the dead and White Walkers are capable of? The lack of motivation for the Night King is the biggest problem with last night's episode.

Reaction Score
All in all, last night's episode was great. Kudos to the behind-the-scenes folks for making an hour-long battle sequence that never got boring and kept the tension high throughout. It wasn't too dark on my TV, a nine-year-old Panasonic plasma. The music was outstanding as was 99% of the CGI. I was shocked we didn't get more deaths of important characters.
I miss my Samsung plasma. Such deep blacks with it.

You’re spot on with the rest of your commentary. Arya must’ve used her faceless skills to get to him. There was that whoosh that one of the white walkers noticed as it ruffled his hair on the way by, not sure how she got such elevation though.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The show had to deal with the fact that the author went in circles for 1200 pages and then thought "#*$#*, how do I tie all of this up?" There have been a few ridiculous moments, but overall they've done an admirable job.

My biggest issue is that the showrunners are suddenly afraid to kill off major characters. There's just no way in hell that one-handed Jamie, fat Sam, and Grey Worm armed only with his spear survive that onslaught.
So true. One hand Jamie should’ve died. There’s just no way.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's the conundrum when you stage the battle to end all battles before the final season is half over. You need characters for story lines.

I'm a little worried they're going to give us too many Hollywood moments, with characters riding off into sunset.

Really, most everyone should be dead at the end of this thing, but I don't see it.

Reaction Score
My problem with the Dothraki wasn't the military strategy -- it was the result. Think about it. For an hour after their charge failed, we saw individual brave men and women on foot hold off the dead far in excess of their numbers. We saw Arya kill a White Walker. We saw baby Mormont kill a giant.

And yet we're supposed to believe that in a matter of seconds a few thousand mounted Dothraki were massacred by wights? Please. yes, at the end the Dothraki might have lost to overwhelming numbers, but given what we had actually seen in this and other battles the Dothraki would have cut through their lines slicing the dead left and right like the human cavalry killing infantry orgs in the Lord of the Rings movie.

It was beyond unrealistic. Even for a movie about dragons, the dead and dead dragons fighting.

Was also disappointed that there were no real plot developments and no one of any importance died.

Stick to your day job Clausewitz.

Massed infantry beats unsupported cavalry making a blind charge every time.

You don’t need to be Napoleon or Alexander to know this.

The only unbelievable thing was them making the charge to begin with.

Reaction Score

Admirable, yes, but still the difference is stark, pun not intended.

Too much deus ex machina.
Too many silly action sequences main characters shouldn't survive.
I hate what they've done with Tyrion's character.
The fan service stuff with Lyanna Mormont was annoying.

Reaction Score
Admirable, yes, but still the difference is stark, pun not intended.

Too much deus ex machina.
Too many silly action sequences main characters shouldn't survive.
I hate what they've done with Tyrion's character.
The fan service stuff with Lyanna Mormont was annoying.

I agree with all of that.

I wanted her to be the one to do it, but the way they did it was cheesy. Dropping the dagger and catching it was a nice touch though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thinking about it, did Jon Snow do anything that episode? Anything at all?

He flew around erratically on his dragon and got lost.

His dragon then squabbled with the Night King's dragon, eventually crashing. Didn't need Jon for any of that.

He futilely ran after the Night King with this sword. Gets trapped. Requiring Dany to rescue him with Dragon fire.

Then he voluntarily pops up in front of undead dragon at the end, and is bailed out by Arya at the last second.

Amazing performance by Lord Snow.

Reaction Score
The one thing that I read that I really agree with is that the show was just too dark. Literally, too dark. I turned the lights off, tilted the screen, etc. I get that it was filmed at night, but we still have to be able to see it.
Definitely the biggest issue with the episode the first half hour I was just trying to decipher what I was seeing

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Put me in for Jamie killing Cersei.
Jamie will die protecting Tyrion or killing Euron Greyjoy.

Jamie's gotta strangle Cercei like the prophesy said. She always thought it would be Tyrion.

Maybe he goes in to kiss her in some sort of pretend reconciliation, and then strangles the life out of her and her unborn child. Kingslayer 2.0

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree with all of that.

I wanted her to be the one to do it, but the way they did it was cheesy. Dropping the dagger and catching it was a nice touch though.

They could've very easily fixed it by having her drop down from the treetops. While all the chaos was going on she could've easily slipped in and climbed it. I'm interested to see if they care about explaining how she got that close to the Night's King unimpeded.

Reaction Score
Thinking about it, did Jon Snow do anything that episode? Anything at all?

He flew around erratically on his dragon and got lost.

His dragon then squabbled with the Night King's dragon, eventually crashing. Didn't need Jon for any of that.

He futilely ran after the Night King with this sword. Gets trapped. Requiring Dany to rescue him with Dragon fire.

Then he voluntarily pops up in front of undead dragon at the end, and is bailed out by Arya at the last second.

Amazing performance by Lord Snow.

I was yelling at him the whole episode.

Lame battle plan+triggering the Night King to raise the dead?

The only thing that worked was sticking Bran in the woods. It was as if the plan was to let his Army be defeated so that the NK would reveal himself and approach Bran in the woods only after defeating his half arsed guard force.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Stick to your day job Clausewitz.

Massed infantry beats unsupported cavalry making a blind charge every time.

You don’t need to be Napoleon or Alexander to know this.

The only unbelievable thing was them making the charge to begin with.

Dumb charges are a theme in GOT:
1. John @ Battle of the Bastards
2. Dothraki last night
3. Theon charging Night King

Reaction Score
Dumb charges are a theme in GOT:
1. John @ Battle of the Bastards
2. Dothraki last night
3. Theon charging Night King

It’s like people love to kill themselves following dumb orders on this show.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jamie's gotta strangle Cercei like the prophesy said. She always thought it would be Tyrion.

Maybe he goes in to kiss her in some sort of pretend reconciliation, and then strangles the life out of her and her unborn child. Kingslayer 2.0

On handed strangling. Hmm. I feel like Jaime may come away frustrated from that attempt.

Reaction Score
Definitely the biggest issue with the episode the first half hour I was just trying to decipher what I was seeing

While at the gym this morning, I asked the weightlifting trainer what he thought of last night's episode. He said that he was in the process of rewatching it. He commented on the darkness of the background, then said that while reviewing on his tablet, the clarity was amazing as the picture was MUCH brighter. His idea is that when he gets home from work, he is going to adjust his television to maximum brightness mode. If it doesn't work, he will finish his rewatch on his tablet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Someone in this thread brought up why the White Walkers didn't see Arya attacking the Night King. Remember that the White Walkers are the product of multiple generations of incest at Craster's Keep, so they are not exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to recruits for captains for an army of the dead. The Night King deserves what happens for following this human resource strategy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
On handed strangling. Hmm. I feel like Jaime may come away frustrated from that attempt.

Was hoping for one of these moments.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Funny how all the foreigners were sacrificed up front. Dothraki sent to their doom. Unsullied sent out in front of the fire trenches. Heck, even the Dragon's were out there.

Meanwhile all the Northerners retreated back inside the castle.

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure, so I asked myself 'was this the final episode?'. And then I googled:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure, so I asked myself 'was this the final episode?'. And then I googled:

I rarely ever watch next episode previews but how is that first statement even possible?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom