Game of Thrones Season 8 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones Season 8

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I will note that having Bran and the ravens provides somewhat of a strategic advantage in future battles. I like the elements of magic - I’d like to see remnants of the children of the forest return to aid the north. I know they were killed by wraiths, but they were supposed to be dead before that. Wishful thinking. Otherwise yeah, the north better pray dragon #2 made it. Again, the golden company is no joke - they’re basically an all-star team of organized mercenaries.

Reaction Score
Here's some basics for the noobz.

One Dragon on the walls.
One Dragon flying after the Knight king with focus being protecting the God's wood. Can't be there too early.
Love Theon and his pluck, but gimme Jorah or somebody like that guarding Bran
(Melisandre really has to show up earlier quite frankly and actually participate in the plan - but even so, clue in Arya in up front that she's gotta get it done)
Arya hides in God's Wood tree like a proper assassin would.

If you have the time, 6 or so similar trenches surrounding. the battle field. Allow the undead army to get most of the way across (it will be spread out). Use the dragon to light up all six trenches. So now the undead army is broken into 'slices'. Each slice can be dealt with. Dragon cleans up the farthest slices. Trebuchet's fire into the medium range slices. Fire burning arrows into the nearest slices. The Dothraki with their flaming swords are stationed around the back/sides of Winterfell. Once this is all going down, they ride around the back and pick off the undead horde from behind, including attacking the White Walkers.

Once they finally break through to the fortress, you have the walls slathered with pitch. Dragon lights the outside walls on fire while the undead are climbing up. Entire top of the castle lined with Dragon glass. More fire on the ramparts maybe.

And so on and so forth. You are gonna take heavy losses, but you sure as snow are gonna give yourself more time.

Maybe Danny didn't want brown subjects now that she returned to the Seven Kingdoms? Because she used them as effectively as black soldiers were used during the invasion of Canada in South Park the Movie (i.e., as armor for the tanks to ensure the tanks don't get shot).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They have at least one dragon. Maybe two.

And don't forget the Glovers. Their pansy arses are still around.

Couple of ships at the Iron Island's too. I'm seeing the makings of the Bad News bears here.

Reaction Score
And don't forget the Glovers. Their pansy arses are still around.

Couple of ships at the Iron Island's too. I'm seeing the makings of the Bad News bears here.

Sansa won't let the Glovers last that long.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Dothraki charge made Pickett’s charge look sensible.
Maybe Danny didn't want brown subjects now that she returned to the Seven Kingdoms? Because she used them as effectively as black soldiers were used during the invasion of Canada in South Park the Movie (i.e., as armor for the tanks to ensure the tanks don't get shot).

This is one of those things where they had the idea for the shot conceived without the writing being done and/or thinking it through.

The scene itself was really cool. Bird's eye view of the charge, lights slowly getting extinguished, unearthly screams. The effect chilling. Which is great.

Only problem was it being the dumbest tactic in the history of dumb tactics.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
And so on and so forth. You are gonna take heavy losses, but you sure as snow are gonna give yourself more time.
Yeah, they wasted the catapults - they should have been launching continuously instead of one single round. Agree that some type of siege weapon with dragonglass would have been cool. Also dumb that while the wights are sitting in front of the fire not moving, your archers aren’t picking them off. Everyone was standing around.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why face Cersei in open battle? Just kill her. The bigger question is between Jon, Dany and Sansa. Will they unite? The game of thrones isn’t over. It’s just down to humans.

They have to fight. Have to. It would be amazing. Dany's got a little bit of the Mad King in her. Jon's gotta take her out.

Reaction Score
And we got nothing from the White Walkers. Absolutely nothing.

They were bad ass as we saw in Hardhomme. They sat on their horses and pulled their puds. Then strolled leisurely through the God's Wood.

That's a waste.

Thousands of years of prep, don’t get past Winterfell. Total Fail.
This is one of those things where they had the idea for the shot conceived without the writing being done and/or thinking it through.

The scene itself was really cool. Bird's eye view of the charge, lights slowly getting extinguished, unearthly screams. The effect chilling. Which is great.

Only problem was it being the dumbest tactic in the history of dumb tactics.

Put the Cavalry on the wings. Try for a double envelopment with dragons doing the business overhead.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
To be fair, they obliterated tens of thousands of wildlings, giants, etc. Put a hole in the wall. And probably killed half of the soldiers in Westeros and almost all of the Dothraki and unsullied. They didn’t win first place but they had quite a run.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprised no A list characters died.

Only a couple B list: Theon, Jorah, Melisandre (although expected)

And a few C list: Fire blade guy, Mormont girl, Night's Watch guy.

With that level of carnage I thought for sure someone like Tarly or the hound was gonna get it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
With that level of carnage I thought for sure someone like Tarly or the hound was gonna get it.

They are totally saving the Hound for the Mountain. Everybody wants it, and I think they're giving it to us. And I'm ok with it.

I thought killing Brienne would have been the right move. She just got Knighted etc etc. Somebody really popular should have gone down, bare minimum.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wanted to reflect for a bit before responding.

Don't the writers feel any need to explain what a terrible general Jon Snow is? He sends the entire Dothraki army to its death in the first 5 minutes of the battle, when the plan all along was to light a trench on fire and then hide in Winterfell. If that was the plan, why were they bringing civilians into Winterfell rather than sending them South as fast as they could? Why wasn't everyone inside the trench line? Why wasn't the whole field set on fire somehow? Given that the ultimate plan actually worked, why was there a need to sacrifice so many others unnecessarily.

I would have liked if there was more ebb and flow to the battle, instead of a one way beatdown that was saved by Arya at the last second. I would have liked some one-on-one battles between White Walkers and major characters. About 30 minutes into the episode, the overwhelming beatdown left only two potential outcomes to the battle: 1) The survivors of the battle escape to the South and join up with Cersei to fight the dead, or 2) some crazy deus ex machina moment happens at the end of the episode to defeat the Night King and the dead. The first choice would have been more interesting.

My biggest problem with the episode is that the Night King is defeated and we never hear from him about what he really wanted or why he did this. A huge part of the plot of the series, starting from the opening moments of the first episode, is resolved with "they are just evil". I was hoping for something more interesting.

Reaction Score

Yea I was surprised so few people of consequence didn't make it.

Like others have said, stupid, STUPID battle plan. You have a relentless, largely unknown enemy and you just charge into the darkness and waste your cavalry? Waste and barely use your range weapons? Line up your elite hand to hand unit in front of the obstacles your erected instead of creating chokepoints to control the incoming? Then you've got a stronghold you can barely man because of your previous dumb decisions?

It was pretty ridiculous, all their aces were just standing on mounds of the dead undead, maybe a dozen of them able to hold off all that was left? Even after the Night King had resurrected the newly fallen? Imagine if they had had even more of their best fighters just waiting within.

It was like every possible strength they had was completely squandered.

BTW, the preview for next week clearly showed 2 dragons flying around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Like others have said, stupid, STUPID battle plan. You have a relentless, largely unknown enemy and you just charge into the darkness and waste your cavalry? Waste and barely use your range weapons? Line up your elite hand to hand unit in front of the obstacles your erected instead of creating chokepoints to control the incoming? Then you've got a stronghold you can barely man because of your previous dumb decisions?

It was pretty ridiculous, all their aces were just standing on mounds of the dead undead, maybe a dozen of them able to hold off all that was left? Even after the Night King had resurrected the newly fallen? Imagine if they had had even more of their best fighters just waiting within.

You can't even blame this on Jon Snow because Dany, Tyrion, Jorah, Theon, Grey Worm, Hound, Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Beric and presumably Lord Royce all signed off on this plan. Not a lot of battle wins between them, but someone should have pointed the obvious problems with their strategy. The writers should explain this plan in the next episode.

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with the episode is that the Night King is defeated and we never hear from him about what he really wanted or why he did this. A huge part of the plot of the series, starting from the opening moments of the first episode, is resolved with "they are just evil". I was hoping for something more interesting.
You could tell the writers just couldn't come up with anything. Multiple wordless deaths. Icy gazes and nothing to say.

EDIT: just rewatched, it was a good minute of screen time where the NK and Bran just stare at each other, the writers scared to death to have them say anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be great if Arya assassinated Cersei and just rendered every other storyline superfluous.

Littlefinger? Check.
Knight King? Check.
Cersei? Check.
They are probably going to have to do something to that effect. They just blew their wad on an 80 minute battle scene. My money is on Jaime killing her though.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

The Dothraki died fighting the way they’ve fought the whole series. They charge and destroy. There’s no strategy to it and no general was gonna change their traditional way of battle. John Snow wasn’t gonna meet with them and re-train them to fight differently.
Lol. Cmon man

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Put the Cavalry on the wings. Try for a double envelopment with dragons doing the business overhead.

There is a reason it is called “Winter Fell”. This is its purpose.

huskypantz

Reaction Score

The night king was A list, but otherwise point taken.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Dothraki died fighting the way they’ve fought the whole series. They charge and destroy. There’s no strategy to it and no general was gonna change their traditional way of battle. John Snow wasn’t gonna meet with them and re-train them to fight differently.
Lol. Cmon man

They should have attacked in in a pincher move from both sides, while the unsullied held the line. But the flaming swords gave them away. Without those, how where they going to kill any of the dead anyway? They had no dragon glass or Valerian steel. Sure they wasted them, but I’m not sure they could have been useful anyway.

Biggest failure was that they were unprepared for the Night King blinding the dragons with winter.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Now if you are the Night King... and you’ve amassed 1000+ years of the dead... sure, overrun and overpower makes sense on some level. But winter is here... couldn’t they just surround Winterfell and wait them out a few months? The army of the dead doesn’t need food or resources! Also... if you are a single point of failure for your entire people... wear some better armor or something.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
They should have attacked in in a pincher move from both sides, while the unsullied held the line. But the flaming swords gave them away. Without those, how where they going to kill any of the dead anyway? They had no dragon glass or Valerian steel. Sure they wasted them, but I’m not sure they could have been useful anyway.

Biggest failure was that they were unprepared for the Night King blinding the dragons with winter.
The storm from the Night King was the difference maker. I was expecting Winterfell to Paint the sky with dragon glass arrows but they probably didn’t have time to make enough. I was surprised by that. The Dothraki would of probably rejected any strategy that made since.

Reaction Score
IMO the show is not great anymore and hasn't been for at least the past season and a half at least. Just a collection of dumb plans failing and important characters getting stuck in the same impossible situation only to be saved at the last second last night. The Night King deserved to best these dummies. The hype of the episode was to great to contend with and I am slightly underwhelmed. Not bad by any stretch but not amazing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom