Game Cancelled | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've sold out Thursday night games. That game didn't sellout because we played awful football leading up to it.

The week before we had just beaten West Virginia for the first time in school history. And that game did sell out, despite the awful football prior to it. Though there may have been a lot of no shows, I can't remember.

Reaction Score
They should have set up the staging areaa in the HOV lane. That's always empty and right on the highway.

Reaction Score
Jesus, the pretentiousness by some in this thread is off the charts.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
SOmebody somewhere dropped the ball on this. Hathaway? If the Rent is a designated emergency center, somebody at UCONN should have known or been told about this. And if they did know there should have been an emergency back up plan in place. Hell I didn't even know Bushnell Management
Services was now operating the Rent, last I knew it was some other group.

Reaction Score
The week before we had just beaten West Virginia for the first time in school history. And that game did sell out, despite the awful football prior to it. Though there may have been a lot of no shows, I can't remember.
That game sold out but the stadium wasn't full. I'm not disagreeing with your point, just pointing out the fact that we've sold out Thursday night games before. We aren't selling out a game against Fordham no matter when it's played.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is absurd. You have to cancel a football game to hand out water? There are so many different alternatives that wouldn't have had to impact the football game at all.

This couldn't have been set up at multiple locations throughout the state? It's a centralized location, but as other have mentioned earlier, that's not even where the state was hit the hardest. You mean to tell me this couldn't have been set up at Yale Bowl in New Haven which would better serve the Shoreline and Fairfield County, and another site at the Meadows for Central CT?

Reaction Score
SOmebody somewhere dropped the ball on this. Hathaway? If the Rent is a designated emergency center, somebody at UCONN should have known or been told about this. And if they did know there should have been an emergency back up plan in place. Hell I didn't even know Bushnell Management
Services was now operating the Rent, last I knew it was some other group.
Hathaway is down at the Rent right now demonstrating to the parking staff how to set up the orange cones.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Even I found this amusing. Hey, I can laugh at myself too.

I think they'll play it late Saturday or on Sunday. No NFL running against it, already I think a few NCAAF games. There are options.

zls44

Reaction Score
What happened here was someone pulled out a plan and never thought about a $4 million net revenue event that the state could desperately use right now. How do I know that? Because they didn't cancel the game until 6 pm two days before it was supposed to be played. It wasn't any one's decision to pick commodity storage at Rentschler over a very profitable night for the state university, it just happened. Any by the time anyone realized there was a conflict, it was too late to do anything about it.

They were planning for staging for a natural disaster. Why the hell SHOULD they have thought about football? What were the odds the two would cross? A once in 30 year storm on the week of a football game, a weekday football game? I can't give them too much stick for that, especially when they made a decision that helps people.

It's just a football game. And to say it wasn't that bad is just stupid. There are plenty more people who would agree with me, but they don't have power or internet to voice their thoughts.

You say the stuff on the pallets in empty lots won't help people, when you haven't got any idea whatsoever what they're doing. At all. You don't know why they're there, who they're helping, or anything. Why are they at the Rent? How about it's a gigantic lot next to three major state arteries, two of which are the clearest access roads to some of the most affected areas (84 W to Western CT, 83 E to Northeast CT and 2 S to the Southeast). Those roads are within a mile of the stadium. It's the best option. That's why they picked it. This isn't difficult.

You're just mad that you can't watch a football game on Thursday and might have to wait until Saturday/Sunday, or maybe a week. Wah. Boo hoo.

Suck it up.

Reaction Score
Thank you Johnny Husky. The other thread was starting to give me (bad) flashbacks of why I left CT for TX-- tired, inflexible, parochial thinking. Surely, with a little amount of creativity, flexibility, and leadership, a solution to both issues could have been worked out relatively painlessly. I hope one still can be. I'm looking forward to hearing that the game is still on this weekend.

Reaction Score
As long as they get it in sometime this weekend, I have no beef.

Reaction Score
First post. I have no power, no running water, my shared 110 yd long driving way is half washed away, I got two broken windows, no generator, no 3g, and a family of four (young kids). Nonetheless, I wanted to get away from this crazy week by going to the UConn game on Thursday. Bottomline, they could have relocated it to another spot closer to all the mass damage. I am at work and getting ready to leave to go home to this mess, but I wanted to let you know if this game does not happen on saturday, I do not give a rats #@$ about the national guard distribution, I will go off other this cluster towards Malloy screwing up a moment I have been looking forward to since January 2nd. For godsakes, this game will be a stress reliever and get my mind of the mess of this week.

Reaction Score
I'm okay with your discussion of the Rent as the best possible staging facility. To be honest, I'm coming around to it. I still think the Meadows or Brainard Airport are just as good, but I can see rationale. BUT - where do you account for all the lost revenue that comes from this?

I feel like when you account for the likely million plus of lost revenue, the Rent is no longer the best location for this.

Now - how are we getting organized for the homes we are helping to rebuild Thursday Night with our sudden free time?

zls44

Reaction Score
Now - how are we getting organized for the homes we are helping to rebuild Thursday Night with our sudden free time?

I feel like there's got to be some sort of insurance that covers the loss in revenue (which is a big deal, no question).

I have a hammer and screwdriver. But I don't think anyone wants me rebuilding their house. Installing a smoke detector is risky enough.

Reaction Score
Never would have even fathomed UConn Football had a BII policy. Maybe they do. Wish someone could find out but I doubt it.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
So just saw a Dez tweet saying there is 100 National guardsman at the Rent so your telling me that there is no way to just have them come to the game or something like, then go back to work I mean how much supplies could they be handing out at 8pm

Reaction Score
I took an extra shift at work knowing the game was on Thursday... if its not scheduled at night on Saturday, I want my mony back.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Just spoke to my brother who says he can probably go (with 3 others) to the game now since it is not on a Thursday, which typically interferes with coaching youth football. If it is played on Saturday, the net/net likely won't be too bad.

Also, using the Rent as a staging area for a natural disaster (no matter how big or small of an event) is absolutely the right use of a public venue. We all want to see some football Thursday, but it is what it is. Make the best of it, and realize that you can now tailgate a lot more freely than on a typical Thursday night game.

Reaction Score
They should realize that Hurrican season coincides with football season and designate a different field... have they no decency?!

This is BS. The rent is being used as a staging area to hand out food and water. I haven't seen anything on the news indicating that there is a lack of food and water in this state because of the storm. And shouldn't the darn staging area be closer to the shore where most hurricane damage occurs? They prepped for a disaster that didn't happen and now they can't move their equipment out of the way.

Factoid: Some shipments arrived at the Rent Monday via I-95 and I-91, and then reloaded by the Guard and shipped downstate.

Reaction Score
LOL! You realize that various emergency sites are designated far in advance, right Mr. Foley...err, PhanTom?

Do you realize IMHO it was still a poor choice of location? Hurricane season occurs during Football season, where it would be good chance to overlap at least one game. Malloy has a bunch of Yes Men, afraid to speak up for fear of the man who holds grudges, and this time it back fired. Look what he did to the State Cops who bucked him!!

Reaction Score
What a joke - move all that stuff to the football field (or even to the basketball court) at the old East Hartford High (now EHMS). Really. Typical CT. If you need water you can drive the extra 2 miles to EHMS.
My opinion - your mileage may vary...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I hate Milloy, but I don't blame him for this. He's a terrible leader and a terrible human being, but this is the right thing to do.

Why not move the game elsewhere? Why is that such a difficult task?

Reaction Score
Des's article says they are trying to reschedule for noon Saturday. Won't be able to make that. Need at least 3:00...which would also allow people a LITTLE more time to organize their tailgates...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you can't make it and can't sell it, don't give it away. Protest this travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom