Game Cancelled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is BS. The rent is being used as a staging area to hand out food and water. I haven't seen anything on the news indicating that there is a lack of food and water in this state because of the storm. And shouldn't the darn staging area be closer to the shore where most hurricane damage occurs? They prepped for a disaster that didn't happen and now they can't move their equipment out of the way.

Reaction Score
That was funny W. Useless, but funny.

1. The cleanup is of far higher priority than the football game. If the Rent and surrounding areas are being used for relief, and/or power outages in East Hartford make it impossible to get 40k people there for a night game, so be it.

2. That having been said, it is absurd that we're 48 hours from kickoff for a storm that was done 48 hours ago and all we have is a rumor, just out, as opposed to prior statements that this is a possibility.

3. It is critical that the game be played. UConn can't just lose what, $2 to $3M or so, from its budget at the start of a school year, and UConn can't lose one win that this year absolutely could be critical towards bowl eligibility. They need to play the game. If they need to play it Saturday, or even Sunday, in front of empty seats, so be it. But they need to play the game. And let's be honest -- this isn't Vermont. There doesn't seem to be any rational reason why by Sunday the Rent couldn't be available (although, as I said, efforts to help those who are struggling with recovery is more important.)

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
This is BS. The rent is being used as a staging area to hand out food and water. I have seen anything on the news indicating that there is a lack of food and water in this state because of the storm. And shouldn't the darn staging area be closer to the shore where most hurricane damage occurs? They prepped for a disaster that didn't happen and now they can't move their equipment out of the way.

Exactly

Reaction Score
If game cant be played on Thursday, how can it be played 2 days later

The National Guard can be finished or substantially downsizing their efforts allowing them to move off site/close up their operation. Word is that it has been moved from Thursday at 7:30 to Saturday at 3:00 but that isn't official. Bad timing but not the end of the world.

Reaction Score
We must all maintain political correctness. No fun allowed.

Though I sympathize with the situation demanding a need for the National Guard to distribute food and supplies to those in need because of Storm Irene, I question the decision to utilize that location. Sounds like it's another poor decision by Governor Malloy, a poor choice for those who voted him into office.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Though I sympathize with the situation demanding a need for the National Guard to distribute food and supplies to those in need because of Storm Irene, I question the decision to utilize that location. Sounds like it's another poor decision by Governor Malloy, a poor choice for those who voted him into office.

Sigh - that didn't take long.

Reaction Score

tough crowd

F

fortebleedsblue

The National Guard can be finished or substantially downsizing their efforts allowing them to move off site/close up their operation. Word is that it has been moved from Thursday at 7:30 to Saturday at 3:00 but that isn't official. Bad timing but not the end of the world.

There goes my watching the USF .. Notre Dame Game :(

Reaction Score
If food and water needs to be distributed to municipalities, then distibute it. Get it out of the parking lot at the Rent.

I'm a Democrat, The Governor deserves to take a hit on this one. How many other 40,000 person events occur in this state in a year? If this were a women's tennis tournament at the rent drawing 3000 people they would have picked a different staging area.

F

fortebleedsblue

LOL! You realize that various emergency sites are designated far in advance, right Mr. Foley...err, PhanTom?

They should realize that Hurrican season coincides with football season and designate a different field... have they no decency?!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My first reaction ... this is just Stupid.

Two days they can re-deploy & find a far better staging area. Many, many people make plans far in advance for a BCS/FBS game. The damage & turmoil caused by the storm shouldn't be underestimated; but, this is just evidence of the small-minded & lack of can-do spirit. This is just an Insurance State special.

Rentschler Field was selected specifically because it has the best accesibility for all involved and is the easiest & best staging area available. This isn't small time thinking, it's exactly the thinking needed in a situation like this.

But, you know, it inconveniences your football experience. Jesus. Grow up. Look around. The football game is meaningless. People lost homes.

zls44

Reaction Score
They prepped for a disaster that didn't happen and now they can't move their equipment out of the way.

Didn't happen? Please tell the folks in Southern CT and Western CT it didn't happen, because it would be a big shock to them.

Mail them a letter. Since they don't have any power. That's if the letter even gets there, since the roads are impassible.

zls44

Reaction Score
I can't say this enough: Rentschler Field is far-and-away the BEST place for them to use as a staging area. If there was a better place, they would use it. There isn't. It's next to 2 major highways, free from debris and downed power lines.

Reaction Score
Didn't happen? Please tell the folks in Southern CT and Western CT it didn't happen, because it would be a big shock to them.

Mail them a letter. Since they don't have any power. That's if the letter even gets there, since the roads are impassible.

Sorry, I'm not denying that there is no damage, but this was not the disaster that was anticipated, and losing power is not a disaster, it is an inconveniance. My power was restored today in Milford. I did not consider losing it to be anything more than an incoveniance.

zls44

Reaction Score
Sorry, I'm not denying that there is no damage, but this was not the disaster that was anticipated, and losing power is not a disaster, it is an inconveniance. My power was restored today in Milford. I did not consider losing it to be anything more than an incoveniance.

Because it was "only" a TS instead of a Cat 1? The most power outages in state history? Roads & homes disappearing into bodies of water?

But the death toll was "only" 3. So it must not have been as bad as they thought.

Metsfan, I don't think you're belittling their suffering, I just think it's WAY too easy for those of us with power & internet etc. to assume everything is fine just because of our own situations.

Reaction Score
OFFICIAL STATEMENT: The UConn vs. Fordham football game scheduled for Thur., Sept. 1 has been postponed due to Rentschler Field being unavailable for use. The stadium is currently being used by the Connecticut National Guard for use as a commodities distribution center to provide towns and cities of the state that are in need of essential supplies in the wake of Hurricane Irene. UConn is hopeful to receive confirmation that the game will be rescheduled to Saturday at Rentschler Field.

Sorry Cancelled....

Reaction Score
Damn, this now means that I will miss my first ever game at the Rent. Granted hurricane relief is much more important than my streak but seriously, how did we stage disaster relief before the Rent existed?

Reaction Score

So all of the houses lost along the shore and in the western part of Connecticut are just an inconvenience? And the people who lost usable food due to days of power outages, including those thousands still without power, are just being inconvenienced? Especially those with fixed incomes and can't always run to the store or out to a restaurant to grab food since theirs has likely spoiled? No one should help them because it may interfere with a football game?

If the national guard or red cross or whomever needs be relocated in time to play the game at another time while still helping those in need, then that is what will have to happen.

Reaction Score
What a fumblerooski. I'm told that the governor made the call to keep the guard stationed and not redeploy elsewhere for thursday. The guy's days were numbered already anyway.

Reaction Score
Because it was "only" a TS instead of a Cat 1? The most power outages in state history? Roads & homes disappearing into bodies of water?

But the death toll was "only" 3. So it must not have been as bad as they thought.

Metsfan, I don't think you're belittling their suffering, I just think it's WAY too easy for those of us with power & internet etc. to assume everything is fine just because of our own situations.
zls,

you got it, man. A lot of these posters sound like my 14 year old nephew. Just got power back, but he's upset because he didn't get his internet back yet...but hey, he's 14. Its unfortunate that this game was scheduled for Thursday night. if it had been Saturday, there likely would hav ebeen no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom