Game Cancelled | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any chance that they play it on Saturday instead?
Yes, I believe that's most likely to happen. There are crews flying into the state. As permanent power is restored, the temporary generators can be relocated. And they'll have a couple extra days to move some of the operations if possible.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
There are many other locations. I think holding the Rent as the Mission Critical location ... is a Political Football. Who scored the Points ... and I don't care since I am not a CT voter.

If it was one of the conditions to getting the stadium built, and it helps people, is that a bad thing? For anyone involved?

zls44

Reaction Score
Any press, is good press !!

Oh Stop, people around the country are mocking UConn and laughing at them for letting their stadium be used by soldiers to help the needy.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I don't think they should just pack up and move the relief efforts and I also don't think a game against Fordham is more important than relief efforts. It just hurts because if there was ever a year when UConn football needed a tune up game, this is it.

zls44

Reaction Score
I don't think they should just pack up and move the relief efforts and I also don't think a game against Fordham is more important than relief efforts. It just hurts because if there was ever a year when UConn football needed a tune up game, this is it.

Oh, from a football perspective, it sucks. But I'm hopeful they can play it on Sat or Sun. QB carousel for game 1 on the road at an SEC team (Vandy, but still) is a pretty bad scenario.

Reaction Score
Will Uconn buy back my tickets?

I can not make it on saturday....this sucks

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Oh, from a football perspective, it sucks. But I'm hopeful they can play it on Sat or Sun. QB carousel for game 1 on the road at an SEC team (Vandy, but still) is a pretty bad scenario.

Bingo

Reaction Score
They don't have to, and I don't think you should expect them to. In the past they've asked people to donate them to students.

Reaction Score
The irony here is that we should all make money off of this...

If UConn won't give you a refund for your tickets, that would be horrible PR. Take your refund and buy tickets for the likely $5 price.

I'd be shocked if any more than 15,000 show up for this game, IF it gets played. Which I don't think it will. In the interest of getting the game played such that it doesn't inconvenience the team, I'd be fine if they played at Memorial Stadium Thursday and only allowed students to attend. Would stink for me but at least it would keep us on schedule.

J

Johnny Husky

Oh bulldarn, people around the country are mocking UConn and laughing at them for letting their stadium be used by soldiers to help the needy.

Alright, we get it - you have perspective and nobody else does. Now - will you just SHUT UP and let people be a little upset? Geez...

J

Johnny Husky

Since ZLS is using the other game cancelled thread as his personal soap box to make everyone feel bad about themselves, I have opened this thread where people with knowledge can post anything they hear about real updates on the new time of the game. Thank you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everyone in this thread who used the challenges facing this state post-Irene to get self righteous and excuse this incompetence should be ashamed of themselves.

First of all, Central Connecticut was not hit that hard. The Southwest and the East were hammered. How does Rentschler help someone in Redding or Montville get their power back?

Secondly, within about 10 miles of the Rent there are about 8 large empty lots or vacant warehouses that would serve this purpose just as well. Or, better yet, why not set up a staging area a little closer to where people are actually in need? Hartford has less than 1% of its customers without power and East Hartford is at 3%.

Finally, we are facing a prolonged power outage, not widespread human suffering. This isn't New Orleans post-Katrina, and we aren't even Vermont or New Jersey post-Irene. There was probably stuff in the back of most fridges that needed to be thrown out for a long time now. Being without power sucks, we all get it. But we are not facing widespread starvation, and those people with special needs are not going to be helped by a bunch of pallets sitting in the Rentschler Field parking lot.

What happened here was someone pulled out a plan and never thought about a $4 million net revenue event that the state could desperately use right now. How do I know that? Because they didn't cancel the game until 6 pm two days before it was supposed to be played. It wasn't any one's decision to pick commodity storage at Rentschler over a very profitable night for the state university, it just happened. Any by the time anyone realized there was a conflict, it was too late to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how to spell the word "postponed"? Yeesh......

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
This is funny
Since ZLS is using the other game cancelled thread as his personal soap box to make everyone feel bad about themselves, I have opened this thread where people with knowledge can post anything they hear about real updates on the new time of the game. Thank you.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if any more than 15,000 show up for this game, IF it gets played. Which I don't think it will. In the interest of getting the game played such that it doesn't inconvenience the team, I'd be fine if they played at Memorial Stadium Thursday and only allowed students to attend. Would stink for me but at least it would keep us on schedule.

Why? If it gets played saturday, they are moving a game from a night that most people complain about, to a night/day that is normal for college football. I get that there's people who have already made plans for the weekend who won't be able to go now and that sucks, but I'm sure theres also a lot of people who can't make it on a thursday night who can go now. Maybe a slightly smaller crowd than we would have had, but I don't think it will be empty.

Reaction Score
Why? If it gets played saturday, they are moving a game from a night that most people complain about, to a night/day that is normal for college football. I get that there's people who have already made plans for the weekend who won't be able to go now and that sucks, but I'm sure theres also a lot of people who can't make it on a thursday night who can go now. Maybe a slightly smaller crowd than we would have had, but I don't think it will be empty.

You know its a Holiday weekend, right? And that its 4 days before Saturday and no one knows there is a game on Saturday?

Reaction Score
Guys look on the bright side, that's an extra few days for one of our promising young QB's to step up and take charge as a starter for this team.

Reaction Score
I think we are all hungry for some football. Our UConn football. Fans have been waiting for a long time since Glendale & we'll be fine. Casual fans that would come or go ... Plus or Minus ... is probably 20%. So, we might have gotten 35k on Thurs; and Maybe we'll get 32,000 on Sat.

The Point: I'm not convinced this is the optimal plan for the Rent. And POST Katrina ... Governors & Michael Bloomberg are trying to show that they are effective FEMA managers. It's a little much.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering why so many people don't think it's important to recognize the difference between "postponed" and "cancelled".

Reaction Score
You know we had 5,000+ empty seats for arguably the biggest game of the season last year, because it was on a Thursday night, right? A saturday, even on a holiday weekend, is not a bigger inconvenience for a lot of people.

Reaction Score
You know we had 5,000+ empty seats for arguably the biggest game of the season last year, because it was on a Thursday night, right? A saturday, even on a holiday weekend, is not a bigger inconvenience for a lot of people.
We've sold out Thursday night games. That game didn't sellout because we played awful football leading up to it.

Reaction Score

Not going to keep this argument going, you think one thing and I think another...but if we come even close to having only 5000 empty seats Saturday I'd eat my hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom