Game Cancelled | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Damn, this now means that I will miss my first ever game at the Rent. Granted hurricane relief is much more important than my streak but seriously, how did we stage disaster relief before the Rent existed?

A: Not as efficiently.

I believe the Rent is actually CT's DHS staging area, but I can't confirm that.

(also: the title of the post is a bit misleading)

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised it part of the justification for the State being involved in building the stadium was that the property would be used as a staging point in State Emergencies.

Reaction Score
This is BS. The rent is being used as a staging area to hand out food and water. I haven't seen anything on the news indicating that there is a lack of food and water in this state because of the storm. And shouldn't the darn staging area be closer to the shore where most hurricane damage occurs? They prepped for a disaster that didn't happen and now they can't move their equipment out of the way.

Didn't happen?

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Conn-utilities-scrambling-to-find-repair-crews-2147002.php#photo-

There are places less than 2 miles from the Rent that are still without power.

Most of the houses lost were at the shore, but much of the eastern part of the state is still without power. Many of these towns don't have public water. If you're on a well, without power you have no water (for drinking, bathing, or even flushing your toilet). The Rent is located perfectly for getting food and water to those towns as it is in close proximity to Route 2 (southeast/shoreline) Route 384, Route 44, Route 6, (east), I-84 (northeast). It's also close to 91 which they can use to get supplies to the shore.

There is a huge parking lot down the street where Showcase Cinemas used to be located. Since they have a few days notice, it would be great if they could move enough of the staging area down the street for Saturday so the game could be played.

I don't think the game gets cancelled, I bet it gets played on Saturday, too much money involved.

Reaction Score
So all of the houses lost along the shore and in the western part of Connecticut are just an inconvenience? And the people who lost usable food due to days of power outages, including those thousands still without power, are just being inconvenienced? Especially those with fixed incomes and can't always run to the store or out to a restaurant to grab food since theirs has likely spoiled? No one should help them because it may interfere with a football game?

If the national guard or red cross or whomever needs be relocated in time to play the game at another time while still helping those in need, then that is what will have to happen.

Gee thanks for making stuff up that I never posted. I never said losing a house was an inconvenience, I said losing power was. Yes a 40,000 person sporting event is important.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is a blessing for uconn. first off i agree with the few on here, the storm was bad and ppl down here are still trying to get back together. we dont have power at my house still. i'm lucky my buddy has power and cable/internet in wilton. did you relaize that if the rent was ready to go for thursday night that maybe 30k show up. alot of ppl were skipping that game cuase its a crappy game plus with the storm ppl have stuff to do etc. playing on saturday i say we get 35k as by then most ppl are over the storm stuff and looking to get away for some fun for a bit.

Reaction Score
What can you expect from a BC grad! Not only that he is a double eagle, BC undergrad and BC Law! I bet he did it on purpose!

Reaction Score
Gee thanks for making stuff up that I never posted. I never said losing a house was an inconvenience, I said losing power was. Yes a 40,000 person sporting event is important.

losing power is an inconvenience? does that mean a family of 4 living in a house for 5+/- days with with no functioning toilets is an "inconvenience"?
Yes, the football game is important. But not as important as dealing with a disaster. The game can be rescheduled, people need help now.

Reaction Score
There has been no official announcement that the game is cancelled.

If a lack of indoor plumbing, food, and water for 5 days is an inconvenience, what is so outrageously tragic about going to a football game on Saturday instead of Thursday?

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, you're right. You just said that it didn't happen. My fault.

Reaction Score
zls? PLEASE.

You can debate this until you are blue. I don't deny that the Rent has what you are stating it has in terms of accessibility. But, give me the credit for knowing the State & real estate to say ... there are alternatives. And, I am not without perspective as to folks being damaged. I'm in the middle of an apartment complex that has 5 feet of water near Schenectady where 4 buildings are big insurance losses & 32 people are displaced. I know hardship. But ... you sign up for Big Boy Football. You don't give these repeated compromises that damage your Value. (like what? How about the stupid sharing that field with Teams & Concerts that significantly damaged it.)

This is a circle jerk. I do not accept the notion that thinking that UConn football should be played makes US ... uncaring people. We understand ... and know alternatives.

zls44

Reaction Score
zls? PLEASE.

You can debate this until you are blue. I don't deny that the Rent has what you are stating it has in terms of accessibility. But, give me the credit for knowing the State & real estate to say ... there are alternatives. And, I am not without perspective as to folks being damaged. I'm in the middle of an apartment complex that has 5 feet of water near Schenectady where 4 buildings are big insurance losses & 32 people are displaced. I know hardship. But ... you sign up for Big Boy Football. You don't give these repeated compromises that damage your Value. (like what? How about the stupid sharing that field with Teams & Concerts that significantly damaged it.)

This is a circle jerk. I do not accept the notion that thinking that UConn football should be played makes US ... uncaring people. We understand ... and know alternatives.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know helping the National Guard was damaging to UConn's value as a football program.

I didn't know using the stadium for more events than football was a bad idea. Clearly the state should have spent $90 million for 6 days a year. That's a much better argument. Because doing otherwise MADE THE GRASS BROWN.

This isn't about football. This is more important. There isn't a way in which this makes the program worse, or hurts their perception. Tossing out the National Guard so they can play a football game? You think that would go over well?

Reaction Score
The Giants and the Jets need to understand big boy football. Clearly, they don't, and are just wusses, having let the Governor of New Jersey convince them to postpone the game so the Meadowlands could be used for storm relief operations. What -- there aren't other swamps and parking lots in Snookiville?

Half of friggin Vermont is gone, and I understand parts of upstate NY to be just as bad. If the Rent was determined to be the best place to locate relief operations, so be it. Hopefully they will figure out how to get the game in, there or elsewhere, this weekend.

zls44

Reaction Score
The Giants and the Jets need to understand big boy football. Clearly, they don't, and are just wusses, having let the Governor of New Jersey convince them to postpone the game so the Meadowlands could be used for storm relief operations. What -- there aren't other swamps and parking lots in Snookiville?

Half of friggin Vermont is gone, and I understand parts of upstate NY to be just as bad. If the Rent was determined to be the best place to locate relief operations, so be it. Hopefully they will figure out how to get the game in, there or elsewhere, this weekend.

You...have no...perspective...because...you do not...use...dots...in your sentences...

zls44

Reaction Score
I don't deny that the Rent has what you are stating it has in terms of accessibility. But, give me the credit for knowing the State & real estate to say ... there are alternatives.

So: you agree that Rentschler Field is a suitable site for what the National Guard is doing, but they should stop everything and move the entire operation to another part of the state so that a college football game should be played.

Do you realize how insane that sounds?

Reaction Score
I do not accept the notion that thinking that UConn football should be played makes US ... uncaring people. We understand ... and know alternatives.
Don't say "US", it means you're agreeing with the person who said it "didn't happen". No power for 5 days is an inconvenience, but having to watch a football game on Saturday instead of Sunday is a life altering occurrence. There are still 425,000+ without power 2 days later.

I don't think that makes you uncaring, but it's easy to say "move it", when you don't know have to say how that happens. There may be alternatives, I've suggested one. But I have no idea what it takes to move the staging area, do you?

C

Chief00

You...have no...perspective...because...you do not...use...dots...in your sentences...

Just blatant incompetence. With tons of vacant parking lots / stores / buildings in a state which has been poorly managed - its remarkable this conflict happened with a game that has been on the schedule for some time. Until the voters in this state stop voting for the same incompetent folks this will continue to happen.

Reaction Score
A: Not as efficiently.

I believe the Rent is actually CT's DHS staging area, but I can't confirm that.

(also: the title of the post is a bit misleading)

I think you're right. BTW, disaster relief is 1M times more important than a game against Fordham. Just wished there was a Plan B instead of using the Rent

zls44

Reaction Score
Just blatant incompetence. With tons of vacant parking lots / stores / buildings in a state which has been poorly managed - its remarkable this conflict happened with a game that has been on the schedule for some time. Until the voters in this state stop voting for the same incompetent folks this will continue to happen.

Rentschler Field has been the designated USNG staging area for years. It's such a shame and disgrace that they couldn't schedule this Hurricane for a more opportune time for UConn Football.

64338745.jpg

Why don't you go ahead and tell them they should wait to get supplies so we can watch the 3rd unit play Fordham in the second half on Thursday night.

Reaction Score
There are many other locations. I think holding the Rent as the Mission Critical location ... is a Political Football. Who scored the Points ... and I don't care since I am not a CT voter.

Reaction Score
Game cancellation just on sportscenter, probably more press than the actual game would have gotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom