Friday (3/29) games: Sweet 16, Day 1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Friday (3/29) games: Sweet 16, Day 1

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Neither of these late games -- Oregon State-Louisville, MissState-Arizona State -- are close. Louisville not exactly a scoring machine. UCLA-UConn was way more entertaining. Hope the Oregon-South Dakota is better, if I can stay awake.

Reaction Score
16 point lead and Walz still has starting lineup in with a minute to go

Reaction Score
I didn't think Oregon State had much of a chance, they didn't impress me in the first and second rounds just holding on to beat Boise and Gonzaga

Reaction Score
Arizona State game plan was to be physical but foul trouble caught up with them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
McCowan passed Sylvia Fowles tonight for most rebounds in NCAA tournament history.

Interesting that both players set this record despite never winning the title.

Reaction Score
McCowan has no post player moves, every thing she does is off rebounds and putbacks. I think both her and Brown will have a tough adjusting to the W.

Reaction Score
McCowan has no post player moves, every thing she does is off rebounds and putbacks. I think both her and Brown will have a tough adjusting to the W.

McCowan is a great college player. I just don't see her intangibles and current skill set being truly successful in the WNBA outside of rebounding and shot blocking. She does have a nice little hook shot but never uses it really. Brown, while I am skeptical of her at times has range shooting the ball and has post moves. I think she is much more valuable IMO

Not trying to take away from McCowan, I really do like her but she has to develop post moves if she wants any chance to be successful at the next level. But in terms of college, she is fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whatever McCowan does, it was pretty darn impressive tonight given that she was consistently double and triple teamed. At this level, it is pretty much a catch and turn verses everyone, because it works so well for her.

Reaction Score
Arizona State game plan was to be physical but foul trouble caught up with them.
I was not all that impressed with them, as I mentioned before. Ibis is really good though. They don’t have much of a consistent scorer outside of her. Mbulito, the freshman, has unreal upside, just needs to continue to get better. Sky is the limit for that kid.

Reaction Score
Can the Jackrabbits pull off the upset?

PDEMWAYCDURATTN.20090106205333.jpg

Reaction Score
From Twitter @tbhorka

Arizona State head coach Charli Turner Thorne just issued an apology to Mississippi State. Apparently, an ASU player said something she shouldn't have to an MSU player after the game. First I've heard of that. Turner Thorne said she is also going to text Vic Schaefer an apology.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, congrats to Mississippi State. They certainly showed they were better than the 5th-place team in the Pac-12.

I don't know if I've ever seen a team get a #1 seed and advance to the Elite Eight without ever beating a top 12 team. That's an impressive feat. Kudos.

Plebe

Reaction Score
From Twitter @tbhorka

Arizona State head coach Charli Turner Thorne just issued an apology to Mississippi State. Apparently, an ASU player said something she shouldn't have to an MSU player after the game. First I've heard of that. Turner Thorne said she is also going to text Vic Schaefer an apology.
I'd like to know what was said and, more importantly, what precipitated it. ASU is not a trash-talking team, not even close. Those kids are very high character.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Please no. The Pac 12 needs something to go right tonight.
I watched SDSU dismantle Syracuse and they are no pushover whatsoever. In fact they nearly beat Oregon in Brookings back in December, led in the 4th quarter before Oregon closed strong.

SDSU is physical and fundamentally as sound as any team in the country. They do a great job of looking for each other and they rarely make unforced errors. Oregon has its work cut out for them.

Reaction Score
McCowan is a great college player. I just don't see her intangibles and current skill set being truly successful in the WNBA outside of rebounding and shot blocking. She does have a nice little hook shot but never uses it really. Brown, while I am skeptical of her at times has range shooting the ball and has post moves. I think she is much more valuable IMO

Not trying to take away from McCowan, I really do like her but she has to develop post moves if she wants any chance to be successful at the next level. But in terms of college, she is fine.
If we can get by Oregon we will see a dream matchup, McCowan against Brown! That will be exciting.

Reaction Score

I agree Brown has more upside because she has a few post moves and the mid range shot. My only thing with her is she didn’t improve much from last year and her mobility as a big. The bigs in the W can get up and down the floor pretty quickly.

My concern with McCowan is that she will be just tall and that’s it; a liability like Michelle Snow and Imani McGee-Stafford, or Kia Vaughn.

Reaction Score
The Jackrabbits are gonna give Oregon all they got tonight. I've been impressed with them in this tournament.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I didn't know Macy Miller is cousins w/ Mike Miller. You'd think that's the kind of thing the commentators would've repeated 100 times by now.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My only thing with her is she didn’t improve much from last year and her mobility as a big.

Did she improve at all? I know her minutes were less than last year but her production was way down.

Reaction Score
I had to stop wanting because there was a whistle every trip down the floor. Not a fun game to watch. On to the Ducks vs. Jackrabbits

Reaction Score
Did she improve at all? I know her minutes were less than last year but her production was way down.
I don’t think so, she looks very similar to last year. She should’ve dominated the Big 12 and won POY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom