Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
Why?… when was the last time a Big 10 team won a ncaa championship ?
We have to go as far back as 5 months ago when Michigan won the College Football Playoff. Which is the most important one unfortunately.

I'm not trying to be negative and I would UConn in the B1G more than anything but I just don't see that ever happening in our lifetime when we cant even get into the lesser conferences of ACC and Big 12.

Reaction Score
Of course UConn is worth that. But so far with reduced shares, there is a timeframe that passes where the schools eventually earn a full share. Is UConn worth an eventual full-share payout to the B1G? That is the better question.
I think anything can be negotiated. The issue, of course, is no one wants our football program. So we would have to be creative in our negotiations. I still think, when push comes to shove, a power conference would take us for our basketball but we have to keep winning. If we turn into Villanova in the near future...well, it's over.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
it's honestly shocking to me that no big conference will pick us up with a reduced media payout (if it hasn't already been tried). Are we really not worth an extra 5 million or whatever the BE media deal is to the B1G but SMU is to the ACC?
I have a strong suspicion that if a decade ago we gave the ACC the same offer that SMU recently gave them we would have been in the ACC a decade ago.

I don't know of any state funded universities that could get away with offering their sports to a conference for zero media revenues as the state governments would veto it in a heartbeat. I imagine that there are very few private universities with the financial means (boosters) to pull this off.

SMU changed the landscape dramatically and most schools that still have aspirations of landing in a P4 conference will end up doing so with extremely discounted revenues.

Reaction Score
I have a strong suspicion that if a decade ago we gave the ACC the same offer that SMU recently gave them we would have been in the ACC a decade ago.

I don't know of any state funded universities that could get away with offering their sports to a conference for zero media revenues as the state governments would veto it in a heartbeat. I imagine that there are very few private universities with the financial means (boosters) to pull this off.

SMU changed the landscape dramatically and most schools that still have aspirations of landing in a P4 conference will end up doing so with extremely discounted revenues.
"Hello Tony Petitti, we would like to bring our back-to-back six time national champion MBB and 11-time national champion WBB Blue-Blood basketball programs to the B1G, a conference lacking in basketball, and we only need $10M annually to do it. We can disband our Football program"

"An extra $10M would be a drop in the bucket for Fox, welcome to the B1G"

Reaction Score
Two things could be true. The big east has been great and Hurley has stated that they would have had the same success regardless of returning to the Big East. I trust Hurley on this matter over any poster or the twitterati.
He’s lying to you because it’s the right thing to do. It shows confidence and puts the focus on the program and not the conference. He knows damn well he wouldn’t be doing this in the AAC, but why in hell would he admit it?

Reaction Score
He’s lying to you because it’s the right thing to do. It shows confidence and puts the focus on the program and not the conference. He knows damn well he wouldn’t be doing this in the AAC, but why in hell would he admit it?
Nah. That's a you problem if you think he's lying. He said that before his success here took off. I take him at his word, you call him a liar. Ollie won a title in the AAC. Hurley landed a top 20 class that included Bouknight in that conference as well. Again 2 things could be true.

Reaction Score
Nah. That's a you problem if you think he's lying. He said that before his success here took off. I take him at his word, you call him a liar. Ollie won a title in the AAC. Hurley landed a top 20 class that included Bouknight in that conference as well. Again 2 things could be true.
This is just silly. If we were rubbing elbows with North Texas and UTSA, we’d be in real trouble.

Reaction Score
This is just silly. If we were rubbing elbows with North Texas and UTSA, we’d be in real trouble.
Well that's what it became after we left, not what it was when he was there, which was at the time he was asked and answered the question.

Reaction Score
"Hello Tony Petitti, we would like to bring our back-to-back six time national champion MBB and 11-time national champion WBB Blue-Blood basketball programs to the B1G, a conference lacking in basketball, and we only need $10M annually to do it. We can disband our Football program"

"An extra $10M would be a drop in the bucket for Fox, welcome to the B1G"
Hmmm. Disband football to get in the Big Ten for non-p4 money? Dream bigger

Reaction Score

It is really foolish to pay a conference member a reduced payout. Why? Don't you want that school to be competitive? Even with the donations to SMU's AD, are they enough to allow SMU to win? Personally, even though SMU has received large donations, I don't think they will have the revenues and fan support to compete in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Dream bigger? Is the Big East with Independent Football big enough for you?
Bigger than disbanding football with Big Ten basketball for Big East money.

If UConn makes a move it should be for improvement.

Reaction Score
Bigger than disbanding football with Big Ten basketball for Big East money.

If UConn makes a move it should be for improvement.
Without Football to support that's all we would realistically need, maybe 20 - 25M tops, for our other programs and could drastically cut back on the state subsidy

But it's not really about the money, it's about our entire athletic department having the security it needs. Would you rather ensure your athletic department will still be thriving 20 years down the road or not? That's a massive improvement to me

Reaction Score
Without Football to support that's all we would realistically need, maybe 20 - 25M tops, for our other programs and could drastically cut back on the state subsidy

But it's not really about the money, it's about our entire athletic department having the security it needs. Would you rather ensure your athletic department will still be thriving 20 years down the road or not? That's a massive improvement to me
There is likely going to be massive change in the near future of college sports. I’d keep football at least for a while so options aren’t unnecessarily limited.

Reaction Score

And when FSU and Clemson leave a few years from now and the conference blows up into smithereens we’d be right back to square one.

Reaction Score
Even a blown up ACC is better for football than what we have right now. Does anyone think given the footprint that ESPN has in North Carolina that they'd let the conference die? If there are some blue bloods that don't get taken then plain and simple that's where UConn will probably end up. Syracuse, Duke, BCU, Wake, GT coming to the Rent would sell many tickets. That's one of the reasons it was built in the first place. Getting some of those teams back at Gampel or the Civic Center would be wild.

Reaction Score
UConn IS winning basketball championships...at a very high subsidized (by student and taxpayer) cost...is that sustainable long term ?

Back through the late 90's, the ACC had a bigger payout than the SEC..because basketball paid...then America must have gone football crazy...

If the pendulum swings a little back to basketball...that would be a Husky blessing.

Reaction Score
As Swofford said in 2018...

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

Reaction Score
UConn IS winning basketball championships...at a very high subsidized (by student and taxpayer) cost...is that sustainable long term ?

Back through the late 90's, the ACC had a bigger payout than the SEC..because basketball paid...then America must have gone football crazy...

If the pendulum swings a little back to basketball...that would be a Husky blessing.
Now we just wait 30 or so years until the new generations of kids stops playing Football due to the health risks

Reaction Score
I want both. The conference isn’t winning UConn championships. UConn is. UConn is winning despite the Big East.

Championships alone won’t ensure financial security for our programs.
If I had my choice I’ll take the championships.. and the big east had a lot to do with us winning.. some of our recruits picked UConn because of the big east

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom