Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
Are you talking about UConn in particular or college sports in general. I completely agree with your statement if it’s about UConn. You all are the most important team in the country and as long as you keep winning, it will stay that way.

If you are talking about the college sporting world? I’m not so sure. The media contracts are given to the football conferences, not basketball. The NCAA tournament is huge, make no mistake, but the regular season doesn’t get the viewership that football does. In some ways, it’s becoming less important media wise.
Basketball will ensure the survival of the ACC and B12. They can not compete with Football once all the large Football brands are out, so they will push for Basketball. Brett Yormark has already started this, hence why UConn was slated to join the B12 this past summer until the geographically relevant four corner schools all joined at once.

Given our historical and current Basketball success and the attention that comes with, we are what they are looking for: a juggernaut that's not even tied down to a conference. We are more desired than OSU, Wazzu, and Calford even though nobody here can fathom that UConn actually has a shot at joining a power conference. We are the fourth highest school in basketball revenue right now

This doesn't even take into account the fact that WBB has blown up and is more popular than ever

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Basketball will ensure the survival of the ACC and B12. They can not compete with Football once all the large Football brands are out, so they will push for Basketball. Brett Yormark has already started this, hence why UConn was slated to join the B12 this past summer until the geographically relevant four corner schools all joined at once.

Given our historical and current Basketball success and the attention that comes with, we are what they are looking for: a juggernaut that's not even tied down to a conference. We are more desired than OSU, Wazzu, and Calford even though nobody here can fathom that UConn actually has a shot at joining a power conference. We are the fourth highest school in basketball revenue right now

This doesn't even take into account the fact that WBB has blown up and is more popular than ever
But how does this show basketball being more important? If the football powers of the ACC all leave for greener pastures (and basketball powers if UNC leaves), wouldn’t that show that basketball is less important? Didn’t the football powers of the Big12 leave?

As far as UConn joining a power conference, I have long been a proponent of you all to the Big10. It would be a shot to the arm for Big10 basketball and I’m not really a college basketball fan, more of a fair weather type.

Reaction Score
But how does this show basketball being more important? If the football powers of the ACC all leave for greener pastures (and basketball powers if UNC leaves), wouldn’t that show that basketball is less important? Didn’t the football powers of the Big12 leave?

As far as UConn joining a power conference, I have long been a proponent of you all to the Big10. It would be a shot to the arm for Big10 basketball and I’m not really a college basketball fan, more of a fair weather type.
I should've phrased it differently. Basketball isn't suddenly more important but it is more important to the select conferences that will suffer from Football; the same ones UConn has been wanting to join

Also UConn to the B1G would be the dream. I would happily give up Football to join as an all-sports member even with heavily reduced media shares (after all if we didn't have to carry Football we wouldn't need near as much and we would get enough to keep our programs nationally relevant)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Has women's basketball really blown up or is it that Caitlin Clark has blown up?

Reaction Score
Has women's basketball really blown up or is it that Caitlin Clark has blown up?
Caitlin yes and other big names like Angel Reese, Flau'jae, Cameron Brink, Paige (obviously). I've never seen so much WBB love on social media and the final last year smashed viewership records

Reaction Score
Caitlin yes and other big names like Angel Reese, Flau'jae, Cameron Brink, Paige (obviously). I've never seen so much WBB love on social media and the final last year smashed viewership records
I don't follow the women's hoops, but I'm sure ever-increasing parity has helped a lot too.

Reaction Score
I don't follow the women's hoops, but I'm sure ever-increasing parity has helped a lot too.
WBB is more marketable now than ever and it's only on the rise

Plus even if we disregard the media revenue aspect as a reason for switching conferences, the BE may be elite for MBB but it's pretty lacking for the women. They would get a boost in another conference with stronger opponents

Reaction Score
I think it's really just Cailtin Clark, at least that's what the TV #'s seem to show.

I haven't even heard Paige Bueckers name this season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As someone who goes to all the football games, there isn’t even a sizable amount of UConn football fans. Unless, by sizable, you mean six or seven.
I resent that BL. You, Money and I provide nearly that many in Sec 241 alone.

Side question, I could have sworn I received (and responded to) a DM from you this morning (while fueling up for the drive back from New Hampshire). I can't find it now. Was I imagining this?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven’t bothered to put in any research. How did the MWC manage to get 6 bids anyway?
They held six conference tournaments with different teams winning each one. Totally gamed the system

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can it be both? All the hype surrounding her breaking records has generated decent viewership numbers for her games.

Reaction Score
PC, Butler, Xavier didn't make it past the first round of the NIT
PC had at most 7 players last night and they were without their best player, Big East player of the year Devin Carter. Xavier never should have been in the NIT.

Reaction Score
PC had at most 7 players last night and they were without their best player, Big East player of the year Devin Carter. Xavier never should have been in the NIT.
None of the games were blow-outs either - in fact the Butler game was actually entertaining.

Reaction Score
We know about Providence's situation, but will Fox look into it or the other school's reasons for losing when they negotiate?

Reaction Score
We know about Providence's situation, but will Fox look into it or the other school's reasons for losing when they negotiate?

Fox cares about do you draw eyes... not do you win. Winning or losing in the first round of the NIT doesn't matter, having a brand or narrative around your team to draw eyes (particularly casual fan eyes in the case of PC or other schools with a small fan-base). Winning the NCAA tournament or sending multiple teams to the final four that helps the league's brand and matters to the negotiations, the NIT does not.

The only thing the NIT is good for from a Big East perspective is making the fan base feel better about the snub, by being allowing fans to point to the results and say "see I told you Providence should've gotten in".

Reaction Score
Fox cares about do you draw eyes... not do you win. Winning or losing in the first round of the NIT doesn't matter, having a brand or narrative around your team to draw eyes (particularly casual fan eyes in the case of PC or other schools with a small fan-base). Winning the NCAA tournament or sending multiple teams to the final four that helps the league's brand and matters to the negotiations, the NIT does not.

The only thing the NIT is good for from a Big East perspective is making the fan base feel better about the snub, by being allowing fans to point to the results and say "see I told you Providence should've gotten in".
Im sure the fact we are a 3-bid league with 3 first round NIT losses (maybe even more after tonight) won't alter our media valuation at all, especially not as our contract is coming to an end after this season

Reaction Score
Im sure the fact we are a 3-bid league with 3 first round NIT losses (maybe even more after tonight) won't alter our media valuation at all, especially not as our contract is coming to an end after this season
Correct.

What can impact the Big East's media deal... UConn leaving the conference or agreeing to sign a GOR or some other agreement binding them to the league (this would be the single biggest thing that could improve the TV deal, and the single worst thing for UConn to do, other than as a charity to the remaining schools). UConn (especially), Marquette or Creighton winning the national title.. or some combination of those three schools either all three reaching the Elite 8 or multiple reaching the final four, turning the narrative to "what a great league the Big East is". The NIT does not matter in the slightest... if it did the league would've put pressure on St. John's to participate or otherwise updated it's bylaws to force participation.

Reaction Score
Correct.

What can impact the Big East's media deal... UConn leaving the conference or agreeing to sign a GOR or some other agreement binding them to the league (this would be the single biggest thing that could improve the TV deal, and the single worst thing for UConn to do, other than as a charity to the remaining schools). UConn (especially), Marquette or Creighton winning the national title.. or some combination of those three schools either all three reaching the Elite 8 or multiple reaching the final four, turning the narrative to "what a great league the Big East is". The NIT does not matter in the slightest... if it did the league would've put pressure on St. John's to participate or otherwise updated it's bylaws to force participation.
UConn leaving for another conference would be fantastic, where do I sign?

Reaction Score
Correct.

UConn is not signing a GOR. Nobody will do that again. And as long as DePaul is a DIII level program the league won’t be “great.”

Reaction Score
UConn is not signing a GOR. Nobody will do that again. And as long as DePaul is a DIII level program the league won’t be “great.”
I wasn't claiming they were, in fact I think that would be the single worst thing they could possibly do (but I do believe the other 10 teams in the Big East would absolutely sign one in exchange for a few extra dollars, much as the new Big XII teams signed one & the new ACC teams signed onto that conference's, hell even UMass will be bound by one to the MAC). I was responding to someone who seemed to think the NIT results would hurt the TV deal... and I was simply pointing out the factors that could positively or negatively impact the valuation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom