Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
Big East Fanbois: "they can't leave the Big East out of the tournament, the conference is a basketball powerhouse"

2024 Selection Committee: "hold my beer"
Yeah hard to argue that. Still think a brand like UConn would need to be snatched up. I was shocked to see so many anti-Big 12 voices last summer. Let’s hope that wasn’t the last ship.

Reaction Score
I haven’t bothered to put in any research. How did the MWC manage to get 6 bids anyway?
One thing is the conference has two Georgetowns instead of a Georgetown and a DePaul.

Reaction Score
Yeah hard to argue that. Still think a brand like UConn would need to be snatched up. I was shocked to see so many anti-Big 12 voices last summer. Let’s hope that wasn’t the last ship.
We were going to be in the B12 as the Iowa State AD confirmed. Seems like next time they expand (could even be this summer) we will make it.

I see lots of B12 fans wanting us to join, especially on reddit

Reaction Score
Charlie bWe were going to be in the B12 as the Iowa State AD confirmed. Seems like next time they expand (could even be this summer) we will make it.

I see lots of B12 fans wanting us to join, especially on reddit
Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Reaction Score
I haven’t bothered to put in any research. How did the MWC manage to get 6 bids anyway?
I don't know but it ruins the conspiracy of why the Big East got screwed.

It was an entertaining league but I'm not all that impressed with what some of those teams did out of conference.

Reaction Score

It was an entertaining league but I'm not all that impressed with what some of those teams did out of conference.
Does it though? Maybe, the football people sticking it to the non-football people.

Reaction Score

You mean Big East here? Or MW?

Reaction Score
You mean Big East here? Or MW?
Mountain West. For some reason their non conference and FAU's non conference didn't matter and the Big East's did.

Reaction Score
Does it though? Maybe, the football people sticking it to the non-football people.
Yes it does, nobody gives a rats arse about Mountain West football or FAU football.

Reaction Score
Given the success and attention we have garnered this season, it doesn't seem farfetched
Winning the most championships over the past quarter century sure helped

Reaction Score
Yes it does, nobody gives a rats arse about Mountain West football or FAU football.
Yes. But is the Big East somehow a thorn in the side of the football conferences? I don’t know. Just weird that the second best conference in the country got 3 bids and it happens to be the one that doesn’t play football.

Reaction Score
Winning the most championships over the past quarter century sure helped
That is true but it's because Football is our Achilles heel. Basketball is becoming more and more important in college athletics, it's harder to ignore now

Reaction Score
Yes. But is the Big East somehow a thorn in the side of the football conferences? I don’t know. Just weird that the second best conference in the country got 3 bids and it happens to be the one that doesn’t play football.
It is weird but I think it's just a one year fluke of getting screwed. If there was a pattern year over year with this I would call it out.

I think it's ridiculous our commissioner hasn't said anything about it.

Reaction Score
Seems like once they are done with football they will get around to tinkering with the BB tournament. Perhaps what we will see is a field of 96 with 32 playing teams playing 16 games on Tuesday. Four more games in each bracket (another full day of TV and ticket sales).

I think the conference winners/auto bids should win the right for an auto bye on the play in game. Not sure that can always lead to "fair" seeding however. And yes, most of these 32 expanded seats will be going to power conferences by default. Maybe the little guys will be able to successfully argue that the expanded seats should have a min win % to help cut down on the nonsense of a 17-14 middling SEC school winning out over a 5 loss second place A10 school.

I used to be highly dismissive of an expanded tournament, now after what they did with football, it just seems like a no brainer.

The brain teaser here might be how to structure the seeds. Off the cuff, maybe the play in games should always be for the 8, 9, 10 and 11 seeds.
You math doesn't work. If they expanded the field to 96 with 32 teams playing on Wednesday (16 games) that would leave 80 teams going into the weekend, which is not a workable number. If they want to expand the tournament without adding another week the practical limit would be 80 teams (after 32 play 16 games on Tuesday you'd be down to 64 for two weekends of play). Of course, if they added another weekend they could have as many as 256 teams in the field and everyone can take home a participation trophy.

Reaction Score
You math doesn't work. If they expanded the field to 96 with 32 teams playing on Wednesday (16 games) that would leave 80 teams going into the weekend, which is not a workable number. If they want to expand the tournament without adding another week the practical limit would be 80 teams (after 32 play 16 games on Tuesday you'd be down to 64 for two weekends of play). Of course, if they added another weekend they could have as many as 256 teams in the field and everyone can take home a participation trophy.
they could add another weekend and do the first 48... 13 and below... 17-24 seeds play one game then play into the 13-16 seeds. all of this is silly of course, but remember they're setting this up for TV not public participation (in venue participants).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Okay correction- you could go to a field of 80 teams, 16 of which are 'play in' games instead of the current model of 68 teams with four 'play in' games.

The 'play in' model is simply expanded so that there is one more full day of TV and arena sales. It would be "play in" Wednesdays; two morning and two evening games per region. This also minimizes the impact on the calendar.

I would prefer Conf Champs and the top 5 or 6 seeds per region are exempted from play in games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t expand. Fix the selection criteria. The committee is making things up as they go along. Nothing seems calibrated or aligned.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
That is true but it's because Football is our Achilles heel. Basketball is becoming more and more important in college athletics, it's harder to ignore now
Are you talking about UConn in particular or college sports in general. I completely agree with your statement if it’s about UConn. You all are the most important team in the country and as long as you keep winning, it will stay that way.

If you are talking about the college sporting world? I’m not so sure. The media contracts are given to the football conferences, not basketball. The NCAA tournament is huge, make no mistake, but the regular season doesn’t get the viewership that football does. In some ways, it’s becoming less important media wise.

Reaction Score
There is a sizable component of UConn football fans that want the annihilation of UConn’s athletic program because it joined the Big East.
As someone who goes to all the football games, there isn’t even a sizable amount of UConn football fans. Unless, by sizable, you mean six or seven.

Reaction Score
As someone who goes to all the football games, there isn’t even a sizable amount of UConn football fans. Unless, by sizable, you mean six or seven.
more than 30,000 season tickets sold in 2005. Wish we could get back to that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom