Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

Reaction Score
Are we beginning the 60-day exclusive negotiating widow for the next contract?

Reaction Score
Yes, window! Any chatter from insiders in the UConn world?

Reaction Score

FOX has spent a ton of money on college sports since then financing a piece of B12 expansion and most of B1G expansion.

How much do they have left in their budget?

Reaction Score
All we know is the 60 day window begins this month. Have not seen any updates on this article since Big East Media Day Big East commissioner understands UConn's Power Five pursuit

Would go a long way if UConn - Marquette can put up a great number this weekend.

But as much as the Big East keeps rolling, it will continue to roll up hill. A 60-day negotiation window, exclusive to Fox Sports, towards the next media rights contract begins in February. The current TV deal brings Big East institutions about $4 million a year, or a mere fraction of Power Five money.

Reaction Score

FOX has spent a ton of money on college sports since then financing a piece of B12 expansion and most of B1G expansion.

How much do they have left in their budget?

With today’s announcement that the CFP has agreed to an extension exclusively with ESPN , FOX may have some cash available that was earmarked for the CFP.

Reaction Score
With today’s announcement that the CFP has agreed to an extension exclusively with ESPN , FOX may have some cash available that was earmarked for the CFP.

A good chunk of that money is probably earmarked for Florida State and Miami to the B1G.

Reaction Score
In the AAC's case the long-term deal worked out in the conference's favor, insulating conference revenues for the left-behind teams (in a conference were more than half of the members were trying to find an exit from the start of the TV contract). The conference is now dramatically overpaid. (Case in point all 6 of their new editions are each collecting "half-shares" which were only able to be preserved by a greater than 20% increase in inventory given to the network)

Reaction Score
This will be a long slog I suspect. We are now competing for slots with better (in the sense of who they are. People have heard of Arizona. Creighton and DePaul, not so much). I thought the media deal was $5.5 million. This says $4. Not sure which is which but don’t be shocked if the NEWBIE is selling candy bars door to door as one PAC AD described their best offer.

Reaction Score
I have heard of Arizona, Creighton, and DePaul. I guess I’m that 1% elite.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, y’all got nuthin…
Lol says the guy who started the thread...
What The What GIF by Sara Campbell - Savvy Music Studio

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This will be a long slog I suspect. We are now competing for slots with better (in the sense of who they are. People have heard of Arizona. Creighton and DePaul, not so much). I thought the media deal was $5.5 million. This says $4. Not sure which is which but don’t be shocked if the NEWBIE is selling candy bars door to door as one PAC AD described their best offer.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Reaction Score
But basketball fans are generally the target audience for basketball games.
There is only one team that generates any ratings. And it isn’t Creighton unless they are playing UConn. There are a few problems. One is FOX. It isn’t the go to for college basketball. And FS1 is not ESPN. And I know it ticks people off to read it, but Creighton, Marquette and Butler are not equal to Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville, not to mention WVU, Notre Dame. Good or bad those were household names. The current league needs an influx of major powers with Big Names to draw attention.

Reaction Score
There is only one team that generates any ratings. And it isn’t Creighton unless they are playing UConn. There are a few problems. One is FOX. It isn’t the go to for college basketball. And FS1 is not ESPN. And I know it ticks people off to read it, but Creighton, Marquette and Butler are not equal to Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville, not to mention WVU, Notre Dame. Good or bad those were household names. The current league needs an influx of major powers with Big Names to draw attention.
Point 1 - FS1 has fewer viewers than ESPN. That is valid and that is a negative. On the other side, FS1 paid up and put all the games on broadcast TV at a time when ESPN tried to kill the conference.

Point 2 - brand programs. Meh, those teams have mostly sucked since leaving the Big East.
Pitt? Ooof. No post season success.
WVU? Yuck.
Cuse? Fans miss the Big East! In decline.
Ville? 4-28! Scandalous and broken.
ND? A never was that’s nowhere now.

Don’t forget BC.

The ACC is a mess and the teams that left the Big East are broken.

UConn, on the other hand, is the reigning national champ with another title for the Big East.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is bad enough that the Rutgers fan trolls a UConn board every day, but it seems like a lot of UConn “fans” are also openly hoping for the athletic program to fail.

Reaction Score
The point that was being made isn't about post-season success. The point being made, and it's valid, was about the marketability of the Big East schools and their TV value.

Syracuse, Louisville and even Notre Dame are bigger brands and TV draws than anyone in the Big East not named UConn or Villanova.

That's the Big East's biggest problem... it's UConn, Villanova and a collection of schools that are only airable when they are playing UConn, Villanova or having a good season and the ranking can draw a rating.

The Big East needs names that will draw more viewers than hard core basketball junkies searching for good matchups. Without those, they'll struggle to land a TV deal worth anywhere near some of the pie in the sky (I recall some even claiming 10M/year) projections thrown about on this and other Big East boards a couple of years ago.

I'd certainly love to be wrong.. and going back to the Big East has been good for UConn. However the financial issues will be real and for those schools that truly want to compete at the top end of Division 1 for basketball will start to feel it.

Reaction Score
If UConn really carries the Big East viewership on air, would big brother Fox have any interest/legitimate power in helping us make a jump to the B1G/B12?

Reaction Score
The point that was being made isn't about post-season success. The point being made, and it's valid, was about the marketability of the Big East schools and their TV value.

Syracuse, Louisville and even Notre Dame are bigger brands and TV draws than anyone in the Big East not named UConn or Villanova.

That's the Big East's biggest problem... it's UConn, Villanova and a collection of schools that are only airable when they are playing UConn, Villanova or having a good season and the ranking can draw a rating.

The Big East needs names that will draw more viewers than hard core basketball junkies searching for good matchups. Without those, they'll struggle to land a TV deal worth anywhere near some of the pie in the sky (I recall some even claiming 10M/year) projections thrown about on this and other Big East boards a couple of years ago.

I'd certainly love to be wrong.. and going back to the Big East has been good for UConn. However the financial issues will be real and for those schools that truly want to compete at the top end of Division 1 for basketball will start to feel it.

The network is a key to viewers. ESPN does have more casual viewers. For a regular season game expect ESPN to have more viewers than a better FS1 game.

Brands matter, but so does winning. Were you tuning into a Ville game last year?

I’d take Marquette over Louisville or Syracuse. Their draw is more regional, in the Midwest first and the Big East footprint second, but so are most programs. I doubt LA is keyed into Ville games more than Marquette.

Brands are built and they are tarnished. This Big East allows for successful building.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom