Four years later... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Four years later...

Reaction Score
We hired Paul Pasqualoni and lunatic for our football program and tanked it. Bottom line, get the right coaches who know how to sell the school and program and with our resources, we can win again.

And the timing couldn’t have been worse for hiring these . These hires, together with the actions of Vietnam Commando Blumenthal, screwed us out of a P5 landing spot.

Reaction Score
Today's game is why I don't want to hear about conference. Getting drilled on national TV what 4 times already against solid non conference teams? Today's game really sickened me to the talk of the conference hurting us. We are hurting the conference far worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And the timing couldn’t have been worse for hiring these . These hires, together with the actions of Vietnam Commando Blumenthal, screwed us out of a P5 landing spot.

The elimination of the SALT deduction will turn UConn into a community college in 10 years. That effectively raised state taxes on Connecticut residents by 30%. Connecticut will have to slash expenses, and the university is a likely target.

The football program is finished.

Reaction Score
The elimination of the SALT deduction will turn UConn into a community college in 10 years. That effectively raised state taxes on Connecticut residents by 30%. Connecticut will have to slash expenses, and the university is a likely target.

Oh well, at least my 401k is kicking . I’ll still go to UConn sports events but they will just be on a more regional scale. On the bright side, tickets will be easy to get and their won’t be any traffic getting in or out of games.

Merry Christmas UConn Nation and Happy New Year!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The AAC is a nice little football conference. The problem as I have stated all along is perception. Contrast what happened in Hartford to hockey. Hartford was in the NHL. Did anyone really expect the fans to jump up and down when the AHL came? We were in the best basketball conference. We effectively moved to the AHL of hoops leagues. Yes, Cincinnati has held steady, but they did not have the perception of being screwed to the extent we were. We have won the most championships in college hoops since 99. The perception is the program is finished. I don’t have a solution, just suggest to everybody that the name on our uniform is not going to bring it back. Immaculata and Delta State once dominated woman’s basketball. Without a move to a P5 league we are in trouble. Parade Gonzaga, Wichita State and other mid majors who have had success. Their situations are totally different than ours.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Today's game is why I don't want to hear about conference. Getting drilled on national TV what 4 times already against solid non conference teams? Today's game really sickened me to the talk of the conference hurting us. We are hurting the conference far worse.
You seem to think that conference affiliation is a meritocracy. It isn't, well at least not based upon the quality of sports. There are plenty of P5 team that have a worse athletic dept than we do.

Quality of our play is affected by our conference affiliation and the miserable geography of the ACC, both in tough road schedule and in recruiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Probably not at least not by the elimination (well capping actually) of the SALT deduction. Keep in mind that they also doubled the standard deduction. For middle class taxpayers at least that should result in a net reduction of federal tax particularly when you add the relaxing of the tax brackets. Full disclose: that is purely a back of the envelope calculation. I haven't crunched the numbers or seen anyone else who has yet. I'm sure that they are out there by now though.

Reaction Score
You seem to think that conference affiliation is a meritocracy. It isn't, well at least not based upon the quality of sports. There are plenty of P5 team that have a worse athletic dept than we do.

Quality of our play is affected by our conference affiliation and the miserable geography of the ACC, both in tough road schedule and in recruiting.
Don't think that all.

What's hurting us is bad coaching hires and terrible buyouts out of bad contracts.

Meritocracy or not, we weren't picked, so we either start doing better in the league were in or we will fade further into Bolivia.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
One thing that is certain:

If UConn ever regains top tier status, stays in the top 5 for a couple of years and wins a title, I can promise you I will not be on a Villanova message board advocating and debating their league situation.

Reaction Score
Vermont.
Idaho dropped from FBS to FCS.

In fairness Idaho only dropped because it lost it's conference affiliation and decided that a Big Sky return was a better option than trying to schedule as an independent at the FBS level (New Mexico State made the other decision and will continue as an FBS independent).

Reaction Score
I’ve been an all in on the P5 wagon for 6 long years but I’ve had it. The administration needs to act quickly and seriously consider the Big East before the UConn brand is further damaged. There’s a lot of problems with the basketball program but the Aac certainly isn’t helping. We are on an island with a bunch of remote southern directional schools. I’m embarrassed to even be associated with East Carolina and Houston. Attendance would instantly get a big bump in the Big East and casual fans would care again. UConn would also be a much more attractive job for potential coaching candidates should things not work out with Ollie. I personally don’t even care where they put the football program but some conference would take them.

And this attitude is a big part of why UConn is struggling in football and hoops. I hate that UConn is not in a P5 conference. I believe UConn was screwed by blatant oligopilic practices. BUT . . . given the reality, this whole attitude of superiority over schools like ECU, Houston, and (add your choice here) needs to be rethought. How about UConn dominating the AAC in both sports for a few years AND THEN making derogatory comments about the conference. How about the Huskies show they can be really good in this conference . . . and soon.

Reaction Score
And this attitude is a big part of why UConn is struggling in football and hoops. I hate that UConn is not in a P5 conference. I believe UConn was screwed by blatant oligopilic practices. BUT . . . given the reality, this whole attitude of superiority over schools like ECU, Houston, and (add your choice here) needs to be rethought. How about UConn dominating the AAC in both sports for a few years AND THEN making derogatory comments about the conference. How about the Huskies show they can be really good in this conference . . . and soon.

It’s cool to have different opinions but don’t blame me for UConn’s struggles in basketball and football. Blame the coaching ineptitude of Ollie and Diaco. Throw in the fact that we are recruiting in a FULLY southern conference and the athletic department as we know it is on life support. I understand others feel differently but many share my views as well. My primary concern is doing everything possible to save UConn’s biggest asset (basketball) before it’s too late.

Reaction Score
It’s cool to have different opinions but don’t blame me for UConn’s struggles in basketball and football. Blame the coaching ineptitude of Ollie and Diaco. Throw in the fact that we are recruiting in a FULLY southern conference and the athletic department as we know it is on life support. I understand others feel differently but many share my views as well. My primary concern is doing everything possible to save UConn’s biggest asset (basketball) before it’s too late.
I agree with you on the first three sentences. But I disagree that basketball is UConn's biggest asset any more, maybe women's basketball, but not men's basketball. It was, but it is not now. Watch some AAC games on TV and you will see the big difference even between the middle AAC teams and UConn. UConn will be lucky to finish in 8th place in my opinion. I am currently watching Tulane and Temple playing basketball. SMU, Cinci, Houston will run UConn off the court. The ECU and USF games will likely be nail biters. I doubt that this UConn team can compete with these guys at this time. Like football, only a total tear down and make over will save UConn men's basketball, sorry.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on the first three sentences. But I disagree that basketball is UConn's biggest asset any more, maybe women's basketball, but not men's basketball. It was, but it is not now. Watch some AAC games on TV and you will see the big difference even between the middle AAC teams and UConn. UConn will be lucky to finish in 8th place in my opinion. I am currently watching Tulane and Temple playing basketball. SMU, Cinci, Houston will run UConn off the court. The ECU and USF games will likely be nail biters. I doubt that this UConn team can compete with these guys at this time. Like football, only a total tear down and make over will save UConn men's basketball, sorry.

It is coaching more so than players. Basketball will turnaround in 1-2 years with a good coach.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Eh. We can always make those comments about ECU's academics. None of the AAC schools are really peer institutions (Temple and Tulane, maybe).

Reaction Score
I think people are forgetting when the Big East football was around, the landscape was a "P6". If this conference is better than the Big East was in football, 2004+, then we're back to where we were before. Except Ollie can't coach and we need higher revenues. And the rest of the women's basketball programs have a long way to go. UCF's bowl win can ignite some imaginations that can benefit the AAC.

Reaction Score
“There have been seminal victories,” said Aresco, who favors a move to a Power Six conference alignment over expansion to an eight-team playoff structure. “But in terms of perception, this is our biggest one. The best teams in our conference can play with anyone — period. That elevates the stature of our conference — period. The narrative has changed completely. All of a sudden UCF is firmly in the middle of the national conversation.”

It cannot be a polite conversation. Now is the time to scream about breaking the Power Five’s monopoly. And nobody should be screaming any louder than UConn alumni and fans.

Jeff Jacobs: UConn must break Power Five grip to survive

Reaction Score
I don’t think anything UCF did really elevates the AAC. Heck, the entire UCF coaching staff was hired away by Nebraska. Anytime any AAC school smells success, the coaches will move on and the teams will fall back to where they were before. None of the Group of 5 representatives in the NY6 Bowls have been able to maintain their success because the coaches are gone after taking a G5 school to a NY6 Bowl.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Self fulfilling prophecy... thanks Waylon.

The gig was up in November 2012 when the ACC picked Louisville. That was our last shot. We are just throwing money away and running down the basketball program now.

Reaction Score
The gig was up in November 2012 when the ACC picked Louisville. That was our last shot. We are just throwing money away and running down the basketball program now.

BS. You just need the right coaches and the right mentality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom