Four years later... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Four years later...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This kind of emo mentality gets so old. Thank God, Susan Herbst IS proactive.

Conference expansion is not close to being done. Hello????

I think continuing to defend the catastrophic decision to stay in this stupid conference gets pretty old.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The conference doesn't matter. Coaching was our issue if we had good coaches we wouldn't be where we are today. The end. The conference is secondary.

Fair point. Look at all the successful programs outside the P5 and Big East. Conference has nothing to do with it (?).

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
We have reached our promise land "The AAC". We need to be a proactive member and make it the best conference it can be. Quoting the "BOSS", "Son take a good look around, this is your home conference". The music has stopped and this is our landing spot. It's Time to stop living in the past and accept the AAC, so that we can move forward as a program.

Until we get that P5 invite, which may never come, this is the only logical course of action. Screw you doom and gloomers, GO UCONN!

Reaction Score
I think continuing to defend the catastrophic decision to stay in this stupid conference gets pretty old.
I don't recall saying were staying in the AAC. However, on the other hand, even UMass wants to be in the AAC.

P5 invite will come. Inevitable.

Reaction Score
The ACC and Big will battle over us for the N.Y. market. Head bang

A tough wall to butt your head against.

Now that Altice has been one of the first to sign as an ACCN carrier and YES (already carrying the ACC) has been bought by ESPN.

I don't think it is any battle for a New York market that will move the chains for UConn....

....but rather, the addition of watchable, in demand content. If the Huskies can get back to basketball form, the numbers for UConn-Duke, UConn-UNC, UConn-Cuse, UConn-Miami would be very, very good. Women's basketball is drawing more viewers every year.

Football? Just don't see it...but add basketball to the non-revenue sports and that could be significant value to a league.

Reaction Score
UConn football would have easy natural rivalries with Rutgers and UMD.

If sports tourism was to ever develop, and I think it will, as already proven by fans going to other stadiums/arenas/etc, Connecticut fares very well. Amongst the best in the country. The Game (Harvard vs Yale) started in New Haven.

Reaction Score
The ACC and Big will battle over us for the N.Y. market. Head bang
What’s more likely the arrival of a 100 tolls or UConn in a P5 conference in say the next 10 years! What’s worse the people in this state will cheer for the toll roads and simply not care at all about UConn with the exception of UConn has too Big a budget. So, i’ll Give you my future visions...will I be here living in CT or living in NC before UConn is in a P5? Will my kids be enrolled as an in state North Carolinian attending a state school or enrolled as in state CT resident going to the affordable Storrs UConn branch. No, neither the door nor the toll is hitting me in my Asssk me why I would stay here?

Reaction Score
What’s more likely the arrival of a 100 tolls or UConn in a P5 conference in say the next 10 years! What’s worse the people in this state will cheer for the toll roads and simply not care at all about UConn with the exception of UConn has too Big a budget. So, i’ll Give you my future visions...will I be here living in CT or living in NC before UConn is in a P5? Will my kids be enrolled as an in state North Carolinian attending a state school or enrolled as in state CT resident going to the affordable Storrs UConn branch. No, neither the door nor the toll is hitting me in my Asssk me why I would stay here?
I’ll be joining you. I will no longer act like an addict-and be in total denial of reality.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

I’ll be joining you. I will no longer act like an addict-and be in total denial of reality.

Can't deny the truth of either post. But this is my home, this is my state, this is my school. I will stay and fight for all three.

Reaction Score
Can't deny the truth of either post. But this is my home, this is my state, this is my school. I will stay and fight for all three.
I’m not really moving. I Love all three. It’s just the people who are in denial that drive me crazy. I’ve been going to games since there was a kid later known as Dr J playing at UMass. I don’t remember the game at all. I just remembered my dad Saying this kid did not belong on the same floor as everyone else

Reaction Score
This will be wildly unpopular but seems to me to be the truth.

UConn must become a force in the league that they are in....the past can not be changed, but the future can.

The danger, which will increase every year that UConn is farther removed from their past elite status, is that if you let too many years go by..... UConn may become like an aging spinster who wistfully fingers a desiccated corsage pinned in an old scrapbook.

The past is...well, past...the future will be made in the AAC...and the move to challenge for the conference needs to begin next year for some other teams are likely to only get stronger.

Al Davis was right....

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
This will be wildly unpopular but seems to me to be the truth.

UConn must become a force in the league that they are in....the past can not be changed, but the future can.

The danger, which will increase every year that UConn is farther removed from their past elite status, is that if you let too many years go by..... UConn may become like an aging spinster who wistfully fingers a desiccated corsage pinned in an old scrapbook.

The past is...well, past...the future will be made in the AAC...and the move to challenge for the conference needs to begin next year for some other teams are likely to only get stronger.

Al Davis was right....

Well now, you see I don't even really care whether that is the truth or not. You stated it in such a disrespectful way, that I can see your troll side is dominant again. So, just Shut The duck** Up. .

Reaction Score
Well now, you see I don't even really care whether that is the truth or not. You stated it in such a disrespectful way, that I can see your troll side is dominant again. So, just Shut The ** Up. .

How was it disrespectful? For years I looked at CR from a logical standpoint. Best basketball team in the best conference ever, no professional team in the state, draws well and has a tv contract with a N.Y. network, built football from nothing, I could go on and on. How do you see a way out of this predicament? Please don’t say fire Ollie. It goes much deeper. Maybe it was the lawsuit, maybe it was our location.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
How was it disrespectful? For years I looked at CR from a logical standpoint. Best basketball team in the best conference ever, no professional team in the state, draws well and has a tv contract with a N.Y. network, built football from nothing, I could go on and on. How do you see a way out of this predicament? Please don’t say fire Ollie. It goes much deeper. Maybe it was the lawsuit, maybe it was our location.

How was it disrespectful?
From an outsider, with a 2 sided personality that vacillates between false support to snarky comments we get this:
. UConn may become like an aging spinster who wistfully fingers a desiccated corsage pinned in an old scrapbook.
So call me thin skinned.

To answer your other questions, you and I are not very different at all. For those same reasons I thought we were just in a waiting game, that our worth was obvious. And one kick after the other I slowly became disabused of my belief and started to lose faith. It's some of all the things you cited and more. And I am not in the fire KO camp, yet, though I do have some doubts due to recent performance.

I wish I had a way out, but I don't. For now, we need to make the best of where we are and what we are. We have a great athletic department. We have an outstanding tradition of excellence in men's basketball, that can be reclaimed. We are rebuilding the football program. We have the best women's basketball program in the world. Our non revenue sports rank among the best.

So for now we must claw our way into the top of the AAC; and if no one is smart enough to call us to the P5 then we make the AAC the best league that it can be, for our sake.

Sorry if I've been a bit touchy. Like you I know we deserve better.
Edit:
Jeez the filters, pr*ckly is not an obscenity or profanity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How was it disrespectful?
From an outsider, with a 2 sided personality that vacillates between false support to snarky comments we get this:

So call me thin skinned.

To answer your other questions, you and I are not very different at all. For those same reasons I thought we were just in a waiting game, that our worth was obvious. And one kick after the other I slowly became disabused of my belief and started to lose faith. It's some of all the things you cited and more. And I am not in the fire KO camp, yet, though I do have some doubts due to recent performance.

I wish I had a way out, but I don't. For now, we need to make the best of where we are and what we are. We have a great athletic department. We have an outstanding tradition of excellence in men's basketball, that can be reclaimed. We are rebuilding the football program. We have the best women's basketball program in the world. Our non revenue sports rank among the best.

So for now we must claw our way into the top of the AAC; and if no one is smart enough to call us to the P5 then we make the AAC the best league that it can be, for our sake.

Sorry if I've been a bit ly. Like you I know we deserve better.

Very well spoken and I agree we have to make the best of it. The hardest part is being a northeast school in a southern football conference. I vacillate on KO. My opinion is there are enough good basketball players that we should be competitive. The issue I have is with the lack of respect given the AAC by the media and Cincy will be a 5 seed at best. That’s a tough nut to crack, unlike me. Football wise it is a decent conference, probably better than our former conference.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Very well spoken and I agree we have to make the best of it. The hardest part is being a northeast school in a southern football conference. I vacillate on KO. My opinion is there are enough good basketball players that we should be competitive. The issue I have is with the lack of respect given the AAC by the media and Cincy will be a 5 seed at best. That’s a tough nut to crack, unlike me. Football wise it is a decent conference, probably better than our former conference.

The conference has a myriad of problems. The geographic spread means no natural rivals. That and we have no history with anyone but Cincy. But we are stuck here so there's no point in complaining about it. We should not give up on the football program to go back to the NBE.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, when UConn was riding high athletically, the dark forces of the ACC (BC and FSU) decided to blackball them and thus CR has ended for UConn. That was the last ship. There will not be one forthcoming. I do agree with Billybud that UConn needs to become a force in the AAC, that is only to remain in the national conversation should something earth shattering occur, which is highly unlikely. As I had stated previously as well, CR is over for UConn. Accept it and move forward. The State of CT has been asleep at the wheel for decades as far as promoting UConn and now it is likely too late to do anything.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, when UConn was riding high athletically, the dark forces of the ACC (BC and FSU) decided to blackball them and thus CR has ended for UConn. ........

FSU? why would Florida State want to "blackball" UConn? I have alway believed that Syracuse University used its influence to keep UConn out of the ACC so it could lay claim the metro New York TV market. A strong UConn owns the New York City TV market.

Reaction Score
FSU? why would Florida State want to "blackball" UConn? I have alway believed that Syracuse University used its influence to keep UConn out of the ACC so it could lay claim the metro New York TV market. A strong UConn owns the New York City TV market.
FSU threatened to leave the ACC if they didn't take a southern football school. That and the success of the former Louisville AD got them the spot over UConn. Syracuse influence was peripheral at best, although it appears they were not UConn supporters. Go through Boneyard CR threats over the past 6 years and you will read all about it. UConn would have a substantial presence in the NY TV Market if they were in the ACC, but it is not the case at this time, and it continues to fade in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
Blackballing UConn implies something personal .
FSU and Clemson as Football Schools were not happy with the Cuse and Pitt additions and the general lack of football influence in that Basketball heavy conference.
There was a real threat of them bolting for the B12. Real or not the treat influenced the decision
Louisville had a better football tradition than UConn and was also a basketball power so it was kind of a win- win compromise for both factions .

Reaction Score
Whether sounding disrespectful or not...I believe absolutely what I posted....the past is receding...UConn must make the best of the current reality....and become a force in the conference.

My analogies may anger, but I believe that they are not inaccurate. Angst about what might have been if this, or if that ...would dissipate with strong teams, conference championships and a Final Fours.

You know, my childhood neighborhood is tattood on my heart...I know every house, every path...visiting it 60 years later with all of the changes was almost disorienting....it was and was not my neighborhood...it was like looking out at the real world while that other past world from an alternate dimension gleamed through.

That sense of disorientation is sort of like, I think, what a die hard fan feels when their very successful franchise seems to feel like a different neighborhood. It certainly feels that way for me re my alma mater's football program.

But winning and success will sure as hell make the neighborhood feel familiar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom