Four years later... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Four years later...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If hiring the best coach was easy, everyone would have done it already. And why would a top coach come to an athletic department that makes one bad decision after another?

UConn has few natural advantages, and that number is shrinking in this league.
But facilities!

Reaction Score
Thought this deserved to be put somewhere so I chose this thread

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thought this deserved to be put somewhere so I chose this thread

Yeah well we can talk about it again after ND goes full time to the ACC or after the B12 extends its GOR and resolves its Longhorn network issues around 2025. Those are the key events we are waiting on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah well we can talk about it again after ND goes full time to the ACC or after the B12 extends its GOR and resolves its Longhorn network issues around 2025. Those are the key events we are waiting on.
Add the Big 10 contract rights in there as well.

All of these are long shots.

Reaction Score
So if expansion is not happening until, as some say 2023 to 2025, shouldn't Uconn just see what happens with football until 2022 or 2023 and, if at that point it is still awful, just drop it and go to the big east? I sense that things are currently wait and see and try to improve football in the mean time...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So if expansion is not happening until, as some say 2023 to 2025, shouldn't Uconn just see what happens with football until 2022 or 2023 and, if at that point it is still awful, just drop it and go to the big east? I sense that things are currently wait and see and try to improve football in the mean time...

UConn's strategy is to pretend things are working right up until we run out of money. There is no path to the Big 10 or ACC or any league. Those leagues are just as likely to shrink as they are to grow next time around. Football has huge problems going forward with concussions, and fans just don't care about college sports like they used to.

But let's keep blowing $20 million a year that the University doesn't have on an athletic department that has no path to success. The AAC is guaranteed failure.

Reaction Score
A decent AAC contract keeps the dream alive. A terrible contract ends it. The dollars to fund football need to be there or football will either have to leave the AAC for the MAC, convince the AAC to keep our football team while the rest of the sports go to the Big East or go FCS.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
A decent AAC contract keeps the dream alive. A terrible contract ends it. The dollars to fund football need to be there or football will either have to leave the AAC for the MAC, convince the AAC to keep our football team while the rest of the sports go to the Big East or go FCS.
Umm....why??? Isn't the BE deal almost up to? No way they get the same type of deal next go round. There's even less of it going up if they included us in the conference. In case anyone has noticed we've been awful on the court and moving to the BE won't change that.

Secondly, moving the team to the MAC does what?? Oh right, have us continue supporting the football team financially while playing in a worse conference with a tv deal that is basically non existent. There is no way they drop to FCS or go independent.

I don't understand this fan base. I really don't. The BE is in the past and probably doesn't even want us back seeing how we still have football. Our future is in the AAC for now and by the mod 2020's, who knows where many of the current college programs will be. I think many lower tier P5 programs get dropped and an elite level division forms. Or they realize that they have killed college sports by taking away regional games and interest has gone away. They respond to this by reforming regional conferences.

In the end, the BE is not a savior and won't be for our athletic program

Reaction Score
Would the MAC even want UConn football? The MAC kicked out UMASS because UMASS would not join the MAC in all sports after a trial run as a football only member.

Reaction Score
The American isn't nearly as bad a football or even a basketball league as we thought it would end up being. Other schools are flourishing.

UConn has only itself to blame for the state of both programs. What a joke that at one time we were all acting like they didn't deserve us. UConn is an active drag on this conference which has had some surprising success. We make fun of BC for being a perennial whipping boy in the ACC in football and basketball. Well we're the BC of the American.

Ollie needs to be fired the day the season ends and we need someone with balls to start a rebuild. The job will mean something to someone. We can get back on the horse. Edsall needs time to get his feet under him, but he built this program once and I think he can build it again.

Reaction Score
The American isn't nearly as bad a football or even a basketball league as we thought it would end up being. Other schools are flourishing.

UConn has only itself to blame for the state of both programs. What a joke that at one time we were all acting like they didn't deserve us. UConn is an active drag on this conference which has had some surprising success. We make fun of BC for being a perennial whipping boy in the ACC in football and basketball. Well we're the BC of the American.

Ollie needs to be fired the day the season ends and we need someone with balls to start a rebuild. The job will mean something to someone. We can get back on the horse. Edsall needs time to get his feet under him, but he built this program once and I think he can build it again.

I’m 90% let Ollie go but the rest of this is spot on.

Reaction Score

RIGHT ON AMORY !!!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

This is truth, I can't like it, I won't like it, but this is truth. There is still apart of me that wants KO to succeed.

Reaction Score

Remind me again what the AAC record is in March since its inception (outside of Uconn and their 7-1 record)?

Reaction Score

I think you are correct, but i'm not convinced in the current media meltdown $ wise there is going to be any big money future for bball in the Big East either. However, it would be more geographically attractive. The reality of the Big East media claims about the strength of the league is shaky. Injuries to better teams last year really made the rest of the league look better than they really were. That came to light in the tourney and not for the first time. Shame to lose out on fball as it places the school among the specialty sports programs. but choices will be limited.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are wrong, and you will see that when Ollie is fired and no one that matters wants the job. The conference is killing us, and everyone that calls our games agrees.

UConn held onto Chris Smith and Scott Burrell because of the Big East. UConn got that big Donyell/Donny/Fair/Ollie class because of the Big East and Final 8 trip. Most importantly, UConn got Calhoun because of the Big East. Does anyone think any of that would have happened if UConn was in a conference with UCF and ECU in the late 80's.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You are wrong, and you will see that when Ollie is fired and no one that matters wants the job. The conference is killing us, and everyone that calls our games agrees.

UConn held onto Chris Smith and Scott Burrell because of the Big East. UConn got that big Donyell/Donny/Fair/Ollie class because of the Big East and Final 8 trip. Most importantly, UConn got Calhoun because of the Big East. Does anyone think any of that would have happened if UConn was in a conference with UCF and ECU in the late 80's.

Again, whining with no answer.

Where is this "Big East" in the present day, assuming it's not one of the power 5? It's certainly not the actual Big East, right now.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about women's basketball, but Geno (and Chris Daily) will lead us to the promised land.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about women's basketball, but Geno (and Chris Daily) will lead us to the promised land.
We have reached our promise land "The AAC". We need to be a proactive member and make it the best conference it can be. Quoting the "BOSS", "Son take a good look around, this is your home conference". The music has stopped and this is our landing spot. It's Time to stop living in the past and accept the AAC, so that we can move forward as a program.

Reaction Score

This is all fine and good but there is not a person alive that is going to confuse The Big East of Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullen, heck of Alonzo Mourning and Ray Allen for that matter with what ever the hell it's become in 2018. Maybe joining whatever this watered down version of The Big East has become saves The Uconn AD, but I wouldn't bet the guaranteed destruction of your football program on it.

Reaction Score
It is time for everyone to embrace the AAC and hope that some day UConn will be able to compete in this conference. Perhaps go to a bowl or two, and maybe make the NCAA men's basketball tourney every once in a while. Unfortunately for UConn, it is back to 1975. SERENITY NOW!

Reaction Score
We have reached our promise land "The AAC". We need to be a proactive member and make it the best conference it can be. Quoting the "BOSS", "Son take a good look around, this is your home conference". The music has stopped and this is our landing spot. It's Time to stop living in the past and accept the AAC, so that we can move forward as a program.
This kind of emo mentality gets so old. Thank God, Susan Herbst IS proactive.

Conference expansion is not close to being done. Hello????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom