Four years later... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Four years later...

Reaction Score
Rollie could teach and coach up less highly recruited kids, as could... Carnesecca (Mullin).

Mullin was high school "Mr. Basketball" in New York. This is just silly.

Reaction Score
That's just dumb. Top 5? We have never pulled in top 5 recruits. When was the last time Nova or UConn landed a Top 5? Who is KO's highest rated recruit?

Top 5s go to Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas. Or Arizona for a signing bonus.
Oh really, hmmm....Patrick Ewing, Billy Owens, Charles Smith, Alonzo Mourning, Carmelo Anthony, Dikembe Motumbo, Reggie Williams, Donyell Marshall, not sure what Ed Pinckney was ranked coming out of high school, maybe not top 5 but he was up there...... players like that won't touch the Big East anymore, even a top 50 recruit is an eye opener and a rarity these days.

Reaction Score
Mullin was high school "Mr. Basketball" in New York. This is just silly.
Yes, he was Mr Basketball but was not a top 10 recruit, and many basketball pundits thought he was too slow for the college game. IIRC he almost went to Villanova. Lol. Carnesecca was the perfect coach for him.

Reaction Score
Rob, your criteria is Top 5 recruit. I don't think UConn has had one in 10+ years. I don't know if Nova has ever had one.

Reaction Score
Rob, your criteria is Top 5 recruit. I don't think UConn has had one in 10+ years. I don't know if Nova has ever had one.
I'd guess Tim Thomas was Nova's highest ranked recruit.

Reaction Score
Is Jalen Adams the highest ranked recruit that is currently on roster? #23 ranking?

Reaction Score
The kid from Trumbull coming out of high school was highly ranked, don't think he was top 5 though. Signed with Rollie. Think he was on Rollie's National Championship team also.

Reaction Score
The kid from Trumbull coming out of high school was highly ranked, don't think he was top 5 though. Signed with Rollie. Think he was on Rollie's National Championship team also.
Harold Jensen. I don't think he was near a top 5 or 10.

Reaction Score

Andre Drummond was the #1 recruit in the country

Reaction Score
I have to admit I forgot he went to UConn, and I'm surprised he was the #1 recruit.
How about Rudy Gay, did you forget he went to UConn too? Not sure what his ranking was but he was up there. Donyell was ranked #5 right behind Webber.

Reaction Score
How about Rudy Gay, did you forget he went to UConn too? Not sure what his ranking was but he was up there. Donyell was ranked #5 right behind Webber.
Rudy played a couple of years and I think of him more of a UConn player than Drummond.

There is no question JC had higher ranked recruits. KO not yet.

Nova never had the same level of recruits - we've made hay with coaching up 4 stars. We have great talent now. Maybe the only 5 stars on roster now are Brunson and Spellman, but they weren't top 5 guys.

Reaction Score
10 ppg for 1 season on a pedestrian team. Forgettable apparently.

Interesting that he was a walk-on on a team sanctioned for recruiting violations.

Reaction Score
It's not the conference its the coaching. Why has Cincy basketball not fallen one bit in this conference? There is good basketball being played in the AAC just not in Storrs.

And leaving the AAC before the the cash dried up never made sense. We can go to the Big East whenever we want to so lets see what the next AAC contract looks like and then decide. No doubt if the contract stinks UCONN will leave.
We can go when we want? Pass over whatever you’re smoking.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Drummond doesn't look like he was a consensus #1.

He was #2 behind Anthony Davis. Otherwise, you're correct that UConn hasn't pulled in top 5 recruits in 10+ years.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Harold Jensen or Pressley

Reaction Score
I mean I think it's just both.

The AAC despite being a big step back in a lot of ways, at least presented UConn with the opportunity to run a draw play and continue to build up a blossoming football program while maintaining and elite to very good basketball program. UConn is responsible for doing neither. That comes down to the coaching hires in hoops and football. Both teams have been bad for stretches during a time where they simply couldn't be. Now while I don't think the window has TOTALLY closed on a scenario where we can be good at both, it's really, really, really, really close to being closed and the margin for error is absolutely zero.

Ollie whiffed last year badly and also got hit with some bad luck. Diaco was a disaster, but you can't expect either program to instantaneously bounce back. The hoops team is what it is this year - and they have a chance to take a step forward next year. I'm not sold at all Ollie is the guy, but if the team finishes respectably and competes for a tournament spot down the stretch or makes a run at the end of the season, it's going to be really hard to hit a reset button yet again. Edsall literally can't miss on anything. They have to show progress next year or football's a sunk ship, IMO.

From there, it's a scenario where you've gotta kinda pick one or the other - keep football, let hoops do what it can do and hopefully progress to an invite to a P5 conference where we're doormat in everything like BC is but still take in lots of revenue... or you ditch football, cash your chips out and head to the Big East - which I DO think gives the hoops team a much better chance to get back to the mountain top, keep things interesting during the rebuild with some established rivalries on the schedule and bump recruting back up with or without a new coach. I HOPE we don't have to make that call - but I feel like it's just becoming more inevitable that we will largely because everything that could have gone wrong the last few years absolutely has. You have a disaster of a football program and a hoops program in decline with a big travel schedule, decreasing revenue and no real rivalries to sustain interest in rebuilds.

My point being - I don't think UConn can totally afford to wait things out. Ideally, they both show progress this year, hoops gets some mojo back next year, Football stays respectable and then maybe you buy enough time to see the next round of TV rights negotiation. If not, they've gotta make a call - and if it's me making the call, it's probably that we go to the Big East... That's where i'm at, at least.

Reaction Score
What state flagship school has dropped it's football program? Good luck with dropping the football program. That's going to be harder than getting a trip to the moon.

6 bad years out of 15, which includes 6 bowl trips (3-3 record) and we're done if we have one more sub-.500 year when we have someone who is truly respected as head coach again. Whatever drugs are used on this message board, please send some my way.

Ollie has his neck on the line. Not Edsall. Edsall has another 2 years, at least.

Our historic women's basketball program has more weight than many of you think. Not sure if all y'all remember, but females make up at least 50% of the human population.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure if all y'all remember, but females make up at least 50% of the human population.
But what percentage of ADs and university presidents?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Amazing how people view the AAC. Yes, we belong in a P5. However, this is the hand we have been dealt. 80% of the revenue comes from football- not basketball. So, there is no breakaway plan from the AAC. Why? We aren't in a football only conversation like Navy which is good in football and not competitive at the AAC level in any other sport.

So, football is first and foremost. Randy will have until he wants to leave to fix this and make it work right. He is the right coach for what we need.

KO won a national championship but he and his staff did not capitalize on the recruiting front with that title. I don't totally buy the conference gig because- the squid won at Memphis and that was a crap conference. Tark won at UNLV, another crap conference. Gonzaga, Wichita St- all teams that won out of crap conferences.

It ultimately comes down to coaching. The AAC conference hasn't affected Geno and the women. We hired Paul Pasqualoni and lunatic for our football program and tanked it. Bottom line, get the right coaches who know how to sell the school and program and with our resources, we can win again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom