Four years later... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Four years later...

Reaction Score
"Or can KO be the next step to sustained success like UNC, Kentucky, Nova, and Kansas?

What the hell is Nova doing on that list? They've won two championships with two coaches with over 30 years between the two wins.
Let's see if Nova can match what UConn has accomplished over the last 20 years before we start grouping them with UNC, Kentucky and Kansas.

Reaction Score
What will Nova be after Jay Wright?
Al Severance (1936–1961) 413–201 (.673) 1 FF, 1 EE

Jack Kraft (1961–1973) 238–95 (.715) 1 FF (finals), 2 EE

Rollie Massimino (1973–1992) 357–241 (.596) 1 NCAA Champ, 4 EE

Steve Lappas (1992–2001) 174–110 (.613)

Jay Wright (2001–present) 395-161 (.710)

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Al Severance (1936–1961) 413–201 (.673) 1 FF, 1 EE

Jack Kraft (1961–1973) 238–95 (.715) 1 FF (finals), 2 EE

Rollie Massimino (1973–1992) 357–241 (.596) 1 NCAA Champ, 4 EE

Steve Lappas (1992–2001) 174–110 (.613)

Jay Wright (2001–present) 395-161 (.710)

Come on.

That’s a regional program - keep them out of the conversation with Duke, Kansas, etc.

Reaction Score
What the hell is Nova doing on that list? They've won two championships with two coaches with over 30 years between the two wins.
Let's see if Nova can match what UConn has accomplished over the last 20 years before we start grouping them with UNC, Kentucky and Kansas.
KO deserves credit for his title no doubt, but he obviously did it with JC's talent. Can he make a deep run with his own players? I think so, and I hope so.

JC built a powerhouse. Before JC, no UConn Final Fours and 1 Elite Eight. JC put UConn on the map. So the question stands - can UConn sustain the excellence over multiple coaches?

Reaction Score
Come on.

That’s a regional program - keep them out of the conversation with Duke, Kansas, etc.
I didn't put them in the conversation with Duke.

Duke and UConn are similar in that neither had a title before K & JC, and they both built dominant programs with multiple championships.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Duke and UConn are similar in that neither had a title before K & JC, and they both built dominant programs with multiple championships.
Duke made it to the Final game just a couple of years before K took over.

Reaction Score
Duke made it to the Final game just a couple of years before K took over.
I was fortunate enough to see that team play live - Gminski, Spanarkel, Banks, Dennard. A great team.

Reaction Score
KO deserves credit for his title no doubt, but he obviously did it with JC's talent. Can he make a deep run with his own players? I think so, and I hope so.

JC built a powerhouse. Before JC, no UConn Final Fours and 1 Elite Eight. JC put UConn on the map. So the question stands - can UConn sustain the excellence over multiple coaches?

Firstly, you're side-stepping my comment. When it comes to sustained success of a program, Villanova is not in the same league as North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas. Perhaps some day it could happen should they capture more NC's, and continue to do so after Wright departs.

Secondly, a National Championship is a National Championship and KO earned his. He had to contend with the adversity of a BS post season ban, overcome a number of transfers associated with the ban and/or JC's retirement, and then coach the team to victory night after night with a roster that wasn't exactly loaded with 5-star recruits. If coaching a talent-heavy team to a National Championship is as easy as you suggest, Kansas would have a lot more national championships.

Thirdly, you narrowly define "sustained success" as, specifically, winning national championships with more than one coach between 1980 an 2017. However, if the second coach wins a national championship within 3 years of the preceding coach that program is disqualified. This conveniently negates Duke, UConn and others from your definition but enables Villanova to gain entrance to this elite club with their 2016 NC (even though their previous championship occurred 30 years prior). Applying your definition, the UConn Womens' team has not achieved sustained success. Perhaps some day they will (provided Auriemma's successor doesn't win a national championship too soon after his departure). I guess I'm just not buying your definition of "sustained success".

Lastly, we can debate whether KO will lead the team to a future NC or FF. But, it shouldn't dilute or have any bearing on the remarkable success UConn has achieved over the last 30 years.

Reaction Score
Firstly, you're side-stepping my comment. When it comes to sustained success of a program, Villanova is not in the same league as North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas. Perhaps some day it could happen should they capture more NC's, and continue to do so after Wright departs.

Secondly, a National Championship is a National Championship and KO earned his. He had to contend with the adversity of a BS post season ban, overcome a number of transfers associated with the ban and/or JC's retirement, and then coach the team to victory night after night with a roster that wasn't exactly loaded with 5-star recruits. If coaching a talent-heavy team to a National Championship is as easy as you suggest, Kansas would have a lot more national championships.

Thirdly, you narrowly define "sustained success" as, specifically, winning national championships with more than one coach between 1980 an 2017. However, if the second coach wins a national championship within 3 years of the preceding coach that program is disqualified. This conveniently negates Duke, UConn and others from your definition but enables Villanova to gain entrance to this elite club with their 2016 NC (even though their previous championship occurred 30 years prior). Applying your definition, the UConn Womens' team has not achieved sustained success. Perhaps some day they will (provided Auriemma's successor doesn't win a national championship too soon after his departure). I guess I'm just not buying your definition of "sustained success".

Lastly, we can debate whether KO will lead the team to a future NC or FF. But, it shouldn't dilute or have any bearing on the remarkable success UConn has achieved over the last 30 years.
I said KO earned his. He did do it with JC's recruits. I'm not dissing KO at all. Winning it all is a huge task.

I've also said to discount last year. Injuries were too much to overcome.

Reaction Score
Firstly, you're side-stepping my comment. When it comes to sustained success of a program, Villanova is not in the same league as North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas.
To directly address your comment, I agree that Nova does not have the same level of historical success as UNC, Kentucky and Kansas.

Also, Kansas doesn't have the same level of success as Kentucky and UNC, though I don't fault you for using them all in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What will Nova be after Jay Wright?
Or Providence after Rick Pitino and Rick Barns, or St John's after Lou Carnesecca, Georgetown after John Thompson Sr. Big East is dieing a slow death.

Reaction Score
To directly address your comment, I agree that Nova does not have the same level of historical success as UNC, Kentucky and Kansas.

Also, Kansas doesn't have the same level of success as Kentucky and UNC, though I don't fault you for using them all in the same sentence.

I included Kansas because you listed them in your group of sustained success. We are in agreement that Kansas isn't quite on the same level as Kentucky and UNC, in part because they haven't converted talent and tournament seedings into more NCs.

Reaction Score
Or Providence after Rick Pitino and Rick Barns, or St John's after Lou Carnesecca, Georgetown after John Thompson Sr. Big East is dieing a slow death.
As far as an overall conference, the there is a parallel to the coaches in the Big East today and the coaches of the 80s. The Big East is more of a destination than a stepping stone and is being defined by coaches with strong ties to their programs. Wright, Cooley, McDermott, and Mack are at a high level and are tied to their programs beyond their current contract. Ewing and Mullin obviously have their alumni ties and we shall see how effective they are at rebuilding. Willard is at a high level, but might not be tied to SH so much.

Coaching ability and stability is a strength of the Big East.

Reaction Score
I included Kansas because you listed them in your group of sustained success. We are in agreement that Kansas isn't quite on the same level as Kentucky and UNC, in part because they haven't converted talent and tournament seedings into more NCs.
If I may dare to make a comparison between Kansas and Nova, Nova also has not converted high seedings into more NCs. Nova has a dominant regular season run for 5 years running but only one NC, and that being its only FF in the run.

Unfortunately 2014 was one of those years when Nova fell short, running into a lower seeded but tournament hot UConn.

Reaction Score
As far as an overall conference, the there is a parallel to the coaches in the Big East today and the coaches of the 80s. The Big East is more of a destination than a stepping stone and is being defined by coaches with strong ties to their programs. Wright, Cooley, McDermott, and Mack are at a high level and are tied to their programs beyond their current contract. Ewing and Mullin obviously have their alumni ties and we shall see how effective they are at rebuilding. Willard is at a high level, but might not be tied to SH so much.

Coaching ability and stability is a strength of the Big East.
You're forgetting one thing, in the 80's almost half the teams in the sweet sixteen were from the Big East, and three made it to the FF one year. This year the Big East will be lucky to get one to the sweet 16 or regional final. Comparing Lou Carnesecca, PJ, John Thompson, Rollie, Pitino, Barns, Calhoun, Boeheim, Jamie Dixon, Bill Raftery, and Dave Gavitt, to the guys you mentioned is like comparing NFL HOF's to AAC football all stars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're forgetting one thing, in the 80's almost half the teams in the sweet sixteen were from the Big East, and three made it to the FF one year. This year the Big East will be lucky to get one to the sweet 16 or regional final. Comparing Lou Carnesecca, PJ, John Thompson, Rollie, Pitino, Barns, Calhoun, Boeheim, Jamie Dixon, Bill Raftery, and Dave Gavitt, to the guys you mentioned is like comparing NFL HOF's to AAC football all stars.
Dave Gavitt never coached in the Big East. Dixon didn't coach in the Big East in the 80s or even the 90s. Raftery's contribution to the conference is as an announcer, he coached like a year in the conference. Jay Wright compares well to all of the coaches mentioned already. The other current coaches may compare well to your listed coaches in the 80s. Calhoun's legendary success was more after the 80s.

Reaction Score
Dave Gavitt never coached in the Big East. Dixon didn't coach in the Big East in the 80s or even the 90s. Raftery's contribution to the conference is as an announcer, he coached like a year in the conference. Jay Wright compares well to all of the coaches mentioned already. The other current coaches may compare well to your listed coaches in the 80s. Calhoun's legendary success was more after the 80s.
You can argue about who coached in what decade all you want, but your main point about almost all the present day BE coaches comparing well with the ones I named, some of whom founded the conference, Dave Gavitt included, is a joke. Jay Wright, and he's the only one presently coaching in the BE I'll give you this on, compares well with Dixon and Barns, but the rest of them I would say you're off by light years. The Big East conference is dieing a slow death, and Jay Wright knows it. If a coaching position opens up in the ACC or the Big Ten or PAC 12, at one of the bigger programs, I'm not so sure Wright would stay at Villanova if offered a lucrative P5 position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can argue about who coached in what decade all you want, but your main point about almost all the present day BE coaches comparing well with the ones I named, some of whom founded the conference, Dave Gavitt included, is a joke. Jay Wright, and he's the only one presently coaching in the BE I'll give you this on, compares well with Dixon and Barns, but the rest of them I would say you're off by light years. The Big East conference is dieing a slow death, and Jay Wright knows it. If a coaching position opens up in the ACC or the Big Ten or PAC 12, at one of the bigger programs, I'm not so sure Wright would stay at Villanova if offered a lucrative P5 position.
I think the joke is you not knowing Big East coaches in the 80s, and talking about it.

Reaction Score
That's foolish. Jay turned down Texas and Kentucky.
I know he did, not so sure though he will do it next time. The Big East doesn't recruit nearly as many top players as it used to, and Villanova is finding it's conference schedule now is a liability.

Reaction Score
I know he did, not so sure though he will do it next time. The Big East doesn't recruit nearly as many top players as it used to, and Villanova is finding it's conference schedule now is a liability.
C'mon, you're just talkin' bout stuff you don't know about. Nova lands great talent.

Reaction Score
I think the joke is you not knowing Big East coaches in the 80s, and talking about it.
Yes I do, and they were much better coaches that the Big East fields now, they were better recruiters and better teachers of the game. Even though the BE attracted many top highly recruited players out of high school, those founding coaches could mold lesser talented kids into BE stars as well. The year Rollie won it all, his best player IMO might of been Dwayne McClain who was not a big recruit at all. Rollie could teach and coach up less highly recruited kids, as could John Thompson, Boeheim (Moton, Stevie Thompson, Red Bruin, Seikaly) Calhoun (Cliff, Ray Allen, Rip), Carnesecca (Mullin, Wennington).

Reaction Score
C'mon, you're just talkin' bout stuff you don't know about. Nova lands great talent.
I'm not talking about Nova, I'm talking about who they play against in the conference. Besides Villanova, name the last Big East team that landed a top 5 recruit, and how long ago it was. Their schedule is becoming a cake walk. You came to the Big East party as a fan 20 or 30 years too late my friend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about Nova, I'm talking about who they play against in the conference. Besides Villanova, name the last Big East team that landed a top 5 recruit, and how long ago it was. Their schedule is becoming a cake walk. You came to the Big East party as a fan 20 or 30 years too late my friend.
That's just dumb. Top 5? We have never pulled in top 5 recruits. When was the last time Nova or UConn landed a Top 5? Who is KO's highest rated recruit?

Top 5s go to Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas. Or Arizona for a signing bonus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom