Four years later... | The Boneyard

Four years later...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are basically where several posters, including myself, predicted we would be 4 years ago. Our football program is on life support, playing for friends and family and not competitive with even the middle of the pack in our southern mid-major league. The basketball program is in a decline which appears to be permanent.

Not following the basketball schools has turned into a huge mistake for the hoops program. Recruiting has fallen off a cliff, and while most are blaming it on Ollie, I bet most coaches see this situation and think Ollie was an idiot for not leaving after the National Championship in 2014. The Big East is still competing at a major conference level, whereas we are not.

There is no coaching savior coming to rebuild either program. We have a retread that was second tier in his prime running football, and most of the remaining fans, including myself, are happy about it. Not because we think Edsall is a great coach, but we recognize that UConn can not do any better. We will get some mid-level P5 assistant or a Tubby Smith-type retread to take over the basketball program if and when Ollie leaves. We will be an NIT team in our good years with the occasional 10 or 12 seed NCAA berth, and we will be bad in our bad years. A 44 year old Jim Calhoun would never come to UConn today. The conference situation is terrible, and we don't have any special access to New York or Boston for recruiting.

Staying in the American has turned into a program killing decision. Maybe the Big East was never an option, but if it was, then we definitely did not choose wisely.

We have made our bed. Sleep well, UConn fans.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No move, other than one to the P5, was going to save UConn sports as we know it. Any seemingly sidewise move was only going to forestall the inevitable. Everyone knew that. UConn never had the chance to make it's own bed in that regard. ESPN, the ACC and some selective colleges made that bed for us.

Reaction Score
Nelson...I have to admit, you were right all along. I was dead set against staying with the Catholic 7 in the new Big East. I thought for sure we would be getting an invite to the ACC or the B1G, especially after the 2014 Championships. Well last year I realized that no invite is coming and will never come. You and Zissou were correct, the best move for UCONN would be to move to the NBE. However, I don't think the state of our men's basketball program and football program are that dire. I think RE will make us very competitive again but probably as an independent, as I think we will end up in the NBE. And I think going to the NBE will give a shot in the arm to our men's program - recruiting will improve, etc. AD Dave wouldn't be sticking around if he thought we were an ongoing dumpster fire. Things will get better after this year.

And Funster you are totally correct about the ACC and ESPN being responsible for our demise. I would add that I believe it was orchestrated and intentional. They want to kill our athletic department. That became crystal clear when Swafford stood by Louisville after they broke the law and NCAA regulations and from the University President level down to their athletic department. And the ACC University Presidents stay quiet and acquiesce as Swafford stands by them. The UVA President and the rest of them stand by and say nothing. They have not one ounce of integrity. If academics were important to these snakes, they would never have added Louisville in the first place. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I personally think we should have waved the white football flag last year after disco. Football is just to far behind at this point, schools like Ucf simply have to much of an advantage over us in football recruiting. I am not even sure how you sell a kid on going to uconn football...... at least basketball still has a hope. The big East might still be interested. Even if we went Indy in football, would anyone notice?

Reaction Score
Sign me up as someone who believes that UCONN’s long term membership in the AAC will end with UCONN having a forgettable D1 football program and a mediocre men’s basketball program.

The New Big East will make UCONN men’s basketball relevant and provide it an opportunity to be great again.

Anyone who reads this and differs about the Big East then please understand that the league would give UCONN multiple rivals (Villanova, Providence, St.John’s at al.). The BigEast put 7 of its 10 teams in the NCAA last season bring the highest percentage of all D1 conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Disagree with Nelson. Somehow, Temple (TEMPLE!) football has gone 32-20 the past 4 years in the AAC. And Cincinnati basketball has gone 102-35 the past 4 years in the AAC. They do not have advantages over UConn.

The issue is not the conference, although it is not ideal, but the coaching. Diaco was a disaster and, in hindsight, how did Manuel ever pick him as a head coach? People in the college coaching profession must have known that he was crazy. Ollie started off well and for whatever reason (lots of theories), last year turned into a dumpster fire with 3 key injuries and ultimately the 3 transfers. In 2016, UConn had a top 10 recruiting class in the AAC and had a top 10 PG signed for 2017 who ended up leaving as well. Theoretically, UConn's basketball roster was supposed to be for this season (national rank listed): Adams (23), Enoch (84), Vital (166), Larrier (34), Gilbert (32), Durham (50), Jackson (77), Diarra (126), Ashton-Langford (40). That would have been a decent roster. Instead, we had to scramble after last season and bring in 2 JUCOs and 2 Grad transfers and 3 of those players have started at some point for UConn this season. After the transfers, did you really think UConn was going to have a top 25 basketball team this year?

Look at the 2011/2012 National Championship team. Out of the top 9 players, we had Walker (12), Oriakhi (20), Smith (37), Combs-McDaniel (45), Napier (82), Lamb (86), Olander (NR), Wolf (NR), Giffey (NR). Yeah, maybe the team has somewhat higher recruiting rankings, but this years' team was supposed to have 5 top 50 recruits vs 4 in 2011/2012. (Yes, I know Napier's ranking was odd due to coming a year early and Giffey was foreign.)

Bottom line is that last season in both men's basketball and football were the bottom, but it has been painful.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The difference between joining the Big East and not.

We'd still have a basketball program in decline and we wouldn't have football.

Oh, and the vast majority of our games would be on a network that nobody watches.

Other than that, spot on.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you think being in the Big East would have cured what currently ails our basketball program, you don’t pay enough attention to our basketball program to intelligently comment on it.

Reaction Score
I’ve been an all in on the P5 wagon for 6 long years but I’ve had it. The administration needs to act quickly and seriously consider the Big East before the UConn brand is further damaged. There’s a lot of problems with the basketball program but the Aac certainly isn’t helping. We are on an island with a bunch of remote southern directional schools. I’m embarrassed to even be associated with East Carolina and Houston. Attendance would instantly get a big bump in the Big East and casual fans would care again. UConn would also be a much more attractive job for potential coaching candidates should things not work out with Ollie. I personally don’t even care where they put the football program but some conference would take them.

Reaction Score
It's about coaching first, recruiting second.

Good coaches can "coach up" kids that have (1) raw/unnoticed talent that went under the radar (top 75-100 in hoops and 2-3 stars in football) and (2) that are willing/have the drive to work their tails off in the workout facilities and give 100% on the field/court. Edsall did it the first go-around about as best he could and Calhoun did it after a recruiting cycle or so in the Big East (one of the best BB conferences ever - we could compete and win against the Dukes of the world when they were getting top 30 players and we were getting top-100/top-75 players.

Football coaching has been terrible for a half-dozen years and basketball coaching has been very bad for the past four or so.

Remember, Boise State in football and Butler in hoops are examples of programs that make it work -- and do so in conferences that are not even as solid as the AAC. It can be done outside of the P5 (although it is MUCH easier when inside the P5).

We could say (or debate) that going into the NBE for hoops and staying in the AAC for football (or even going Indie in football) would help, but the first thing that has to happen is that coaching has to improve. Period.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Disagree with Nelson. Somehow, Temple (TEMPLE!) football has gone 32-20 the past 4 years in the AAC. And Cincinnati basketball has gone 102-35 the past 4 years in the AAC. They do not have advantages over UConn.

The issue is not the conference, although it is not ideal, but the coaching. Diaco was a disaster and, in hindsight, how did Manuel ever pick him as a head coach? People in the college coaching profession must have known that he was crazy. Ollie started off well and for whatever reason (lots of theories), last year turned into a dumpster fire with 3 key injuries and ultimately the 3 transfers. In 2016, UConn had a top 10 recruiting class in the AAC and had a top 10 PG signed for 2017 who ended up leaving as well. Theoretically, UConn's basketball roster was supposed to be for this season (national rank listed): Adams (23), Enoch (84), Vital (166), Larrier (34), Gilbert (32), Durham (50), Jackson (77), Diarra (126), Ashton-Langford (40). That would have been a decent roster. Instead, we had to scramble after last season and bring in 2 JUCOs and 2 Grad transfers and 3 of those players have started at some point for UConn this season. After the transfers, did you really think UConn was going to have a top 25 basketball team this year?

Look at the 2011/2012 National Championship team. Out of the top 9 players, we had Walker (12), Oriakhi (20), Smith (37), Combs-McDaniel (45), Napier (82), Lamb (86), Olander (NR), Wolf (NR), Giffey (NR). Yeah, maybe the team has somewhat higher recruiting rankings, but this years' team was supposed to have 5 top 50 recruits vs 4 in 2011/2012. (Yes, I know Napier's ranking was odd due to coming a year early and Giffey was foreign.)

Bottom line is that last season in both men's basketball and football were the bottom, but it has been painful.
Actually, Temple does have an advantage over UConn: the Philly recruiting market. Temple has gotten better because they have upgraded in CR; we downgraded. However, they are at their climax; they will NEVER get to a better conference in either sport. At least we have the Big East to bolt to.

Reaction Score
Actually, Temple does have an advantage over UConn: the Philly recruiting market. Temple has gotten better because they have upgraded in CR; we downgraded. However, they are at their climax; they will NEVER get to a better conference in either sport. At least we have the Big East to bolt to.
Disagree. Temple was in the Big East football conference for 14 years and they were beyond bad. They had the chance to build their football program and didn't. Temple was turned around by Al Golden in the MAC by better coaching and recruiting. Addazio started to tank it, but Matt Rhule turned it around.

The difference between Temple and UConn is that Temple hired Rhule and UConn hired Diaco.

Reaction Score
It's not the conference its the coaching. Why has Cincy basketball not fallen one bit in this conference? There is good basketball being played in the AAC just not in Storrs.

And leaving the AAC before the the cash dried up never made sense. We can go to the Big East whenever we want to so lets see what the next AAC contract looks like and then decide. No doubt if the contract stinks UCONN will leave.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's not the conference its the coaches. Why has Cincy basketball not fallen one bit in this conference? There is good basketball being played in the AAC just not in Storrs.
Cronin is a good coach. If he leaves? I'm not sure Cincy in the AAC is that sexy of a job.

Reaction Score
....... We can go to the Big East whenever we want to so lets see what the next AAC contract looks like and then decide. No doubt if the contract stinks UCONN will leave.

Bingo.

Maybe “yes”....... maybe “no”.

I wouldn’t be too sure that the Big East would welcome UCONN or any or any other school with a D1 football program that has announced an intention of bolting to a P5 conference the first chance it gets.

I believe that the powers within the New Big East would require as a condition to UCONN’s admission that it scrap its D1 football program or agree to a huge exit fee.

Reaction Score
Maybe “yes”.. maybe “no”.

I wouldn’t be too sure that the Big East would welcome UCONN or any or any other school with a D1 football program that has announced an intention of bolting to a P5 conference the first chance it gets.

I believe that the powers within the New Big East would require as a condition to UCONN’s admission that it scrap its D1 football program or agree to a huge exit fee.

Fox will tell the Big East what to do and of course they will want UCONN and of course UCONN will have to agree to an exit fee which they would pay with glee if invited to the p5.

Reaction Score
Fox will tell the Big East what to do and of course they will want UCONN and of course UCONN will have to agree to an exit fee which they would pay with glee if invited to the p5.
You know that Fox is selling all of their regional sports networks to ESPN, right? Fox won't be dictating anything to the NBE. ESPN will and that doesn't bode well for us. Hope I'm wrong though.

Reaction Score
I'd love to have UConn in the BE.

I don't think, however that the AAC is terrible or the cause of UConn's decline. It does hurt recruiting, but the decline is more than that. KO needs 2 years and fewer injuries to prove he can rebuild. I think he can.

AAC football is the best of the G5, no question. AAC basketball is not ideal for UConn, and hoops is your flagship.

I just think the BE is a better fit with a better regional footprint and better rivalries for UConn. Basketball first. Keep FBS football, but join the Big East.

Reaction Score
You know that Fox is selling all of their regional sports networks to ESPN, right? Fox won't be dictating anything to the NBE. ESPN will and that doesn't bode well for us. Hope I'm wrong though.
The Big East content is on Fox, FS1 and FS2, which is not the RSN grouping. If Fox parent sells RSNs it doesn't really impact the Big East contract.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East content is on Fox, FS1 and FS2, which is not the RSN grouping. If Fox parent sells RSNs it doesn't really impact the Big East contract.

The RSNs buy remnant inventory from the networks.

Fox or ESPN will sell games they don't want to RSNs like the regional Fox networks, CBSSPortsNet, SNY, etc. The Big East or AAC won't see any additional revenue from those sales; the network that holds their rights is hedging some of their investment.

They do carry a ton of programming, though - it is a significant move by ESPN.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The AAC has been nothing but good for UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa and ECU. Its been bad for Cincy and UConn and lukewarm for Temple and USF.

Our problem is we aren't winning. Ollie has 20 more games to figure it out and its already indisputable he was not the right guy, but here we are with a big contract so we have to give it a bit more time. Edsall needs 20 more games as well.

We are playing AAC until 2025 when the next dominoes fall. I'm no longer convinced the B12 is destine to implode. The money won't be there to move those teams to other conferences, plus I think more schools will realize that a Nebraska like future is their reality in a P4 world vs P5/P6. In 2025 we should be in the 3rd inning of the inevitable diminution of the cable tv $ and transition to the scary pay per view/sports media packages that are largely internet based. Those internet models = less revenue with all those non sports households skipping out. I will always be a cable guy, but most of the people under 30 I know today are skipping on cable and that trend won't be reversing.

Anyway, its rather pathetic we want to walk on a conference we can't even dominate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom